Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/11, 06:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fake
HA HA HA LMAO!!! How many of you guys have taken your crap transmission in only to be told it's normal?

"After the announcement Ford did acknowledge that they are aware of the problem. "We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter," commented a company spokesperson"

Source: http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...sion-problems/
+1 this happen Saturday lol oh and the noisy control arms are a myth to them too.
Old 8/8/11, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Was that #1 or #333?
0333, #0001 was perfectly fine no hang ups or anything. granted i never hit the track in that car, but i did get up to a little hoonage. my car has the noisy control arms too, creaks like my grandmas knees going over speed bumps and transitions from the road to my drive.

Interestingly I know exactly where that creak started, on my track day , the second session i dove into a corner hard all was well, then i got a shimmy and it has creaked since. I thought at first i dove in too hard and lost steering, but then the creaking kept on in a few corners but mostly only over speed bumps and other sharp elevation changes. the car handles the same though and since its only noise i haven't taken it in. that and i trust my local dealer about as far as i can punt the tech's *********.

Last edited by ShaneM; 8/8/11 at 07:13 PM.
Old 8/8/11, 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Anthonynoz
+1 this happen Saturday lol oh and the noisy control arms are a myth to them too.
lol the local dealer will tell me the exact same thing they said when i took my car in a month ago "you cant believe everything you read on the internet."
Old 8/8/11, 07:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

from an insider to Jalopnik :

One insider gave us a possible explanation blaming Ford's efforts to save money by using an older design of Getrag transmission. That design had a drawback - a gear rattle, which Ford engineers quieted by requiring a thicker transmission fluid.
Except the thicker fluid causes some of the gears to slip, creating extra wear and missed or notchy shifting. On top of those problems, some of the bolts holding the clutch can loosen because Ford didn't specify bolt thread locker. Ford has switched back to a different transmission fluid, but that makes the rattle come back.
While Ford has said it was working with customers, some Mustang owners have been told by Ford that noisy or notchy shifting is just how the transmissions are supposed to work. That's one way to fix the problem.
Old 8/8/11, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
from an insider to Jalopnik :

One insider gave us a possible explanation blaming Ford's efforts to save money by using an older design of Getrag transmission. That design had a drawback - a gear rattle, which Ford engineers quieted by requiring a thicker transmission fluid.
Except the thicker fluid causes some of the gears to slip, creating extra wear and missed or notchy shifting. On top of those problems, some of the bolts holding the clutch can loosen because Ford didn't specify bolt thread locker. Ford has switched back to a different transmission fluid, but that makes the rattle come back.
While Ford has said it was working with customers, some Mustang owners have been told by Ford that noisy or notchy shifting is just how the transmissions are supposed to work. That's one way to fix the problem.

Im going to go read that article again now, I saw that posted elsewhere but i could not find it in the Jalop story.

Edit- i see it now either i missed it when that story hit my inbox this morning or its was updated. I probably missed it lol

Last edited by ShaneM; 8/8/11 at 07:26 PM.
Old 8/8/11, 07:24 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
How do you manage to post on every forum and car review website out there?

Do you ever sleep? Are you a vampire who posts complaints everywhere by day while you sit in your basement waiting for the sun to go away, just to continue to do the same thing all night and selling blood on the black market to earn a living?

Because I have no idea how you do it

That's real bright, attacking the messenger on a personal basis when the message can't be.
Old 8/8/11, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you ever sleep? Are you a vampire who posts complaints everywhere by day while you sit in your basement waiting for the sun to go away, just to continue to do the same thing all night and selling blood on the black market to earn a living?
Because I have no idea how you do it

LOLOL

Actually, as my Mustang is no longer safe to drive, I work a lot from home.

That's how I'm able to post
Old 8/8/11, 07:52 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
do these transmission issues apply for the B302 as well or just the GT?
It depends. Some have said it's a shifter issue, the Boss uses a different linkage. Some have said it's a clutch issue our clutch is (somewhat) different too. .. ????
Old 8/8/11, 07:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well Stang TV, has it now..
http://www.stangtv.com/news/2011-201...es-go-federal/
Old 8/8/11, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
do these transmission issues apply for the B302 as well or just the GT?
Yes, it applies to the BOSS 302 as well. In fact, there are reports to the NHTSA from B302 owners:

Component: POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Summary:
2012 FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302 WITH 4500 MILES ON THE CAR. THE CLUTCH PEDAL STICKS TO THE FLOOR AT HIGH RPM ONLY ON THE 3-4 SHIFT. THE PEDAL JUST HANGS MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THE CAR INTO ANY GEAR UNTIL THE RPMS FALL AND THEN THE CLUTCH PEDAL WILL SUDDENLY SPRING BACK TO THE FULLY RELEASED POSITION WITH AN AUDIBLE SUCKING SOUND. I TOOK THE CAR TO THE DEALER AND THEY CLAIM TO NOT BE ABLE TO REPLICATE THE ISSUE. EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU TRY TO SHIFT AT HIGH RPM 3-4 THE PROBLEM HAPPENS. THE DEALER ALSO REFUSED TO PERFORM THE TRANSMISSION FLUID SWAP TSB TO FIX THE CRUNCH ON 1-2 AND 2-3 SHIFT WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS COLD.
Component: POWER TRAIN
Summary:
BRAND NEW 2012 BOSS 302 MUSTANG WITH MT-82 TRANSMISSION. FAILURE TO SHIFT INTO 3RD & 5TH GEARS IN REGULAR DRIVING CYCLE TRANSMISSION GRINDS /POPS OUT OF 3RD & 5TH GEARS RENDERING CAR MISSION DISABLED/ REQUESTED A REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSION AFTER TAKING BACK TO DEALER , AND FORD WILL NOT REPLACE, ONLY REPAIR/ MEANWHILE, PARTS HAVE BEEN ON BACK ORDER FOR 2+ WEEKS, BAR IS AT DEALER FOR 3 WEEKS NOW/ FORD IS AWARE OF THESE TRANSMISSION ISSUES WITH THE MT-82 MODEL TRANSMISSIONS, AND WILL NOT ADMIT TO THEIR DESIGN/BUILD ISSUES.
Component: POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Summary:
BRAND NEW 2012 FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302, 5.0L, MT82 6-SPD TRANSMISSION. MY UNDERSTANDING IS THIS CAR HAS A REVISED CLUTCH MECHANISM VS. THE 2011 MODEL YEAR. REGARDLESS, I'VE BEGUN TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME ISSUES 2011 MODEL YEAR OWNERS REPORT. I'VE OWNED THE CAR LESS THAN TWO WEEKS AND WITH LESS THAN 200 MILES ON THE CAR AT A STOP LIGHT THE TRANSMISSION FAILED TO ENGAGE INTO FIRST GEAR FULLY. THIS RESULTS IN A GRINDING COMING FROM THE TRANSMISSION. NEARLY REAR ENDED, VEHICLE WAS AT A LIGHT AT THE END OF A FREEWAY RAMP AND WAS UNABLE TO ACCELERATE UNTIL THE CAR WAS PLACED INTO NEUTRAL AND RE-SHIFTED TO 1ST. 1ST TO 2ND AND 2ND TO 3RD SHIFTS TEND TO BE HARD, ROUGH OR CLUNKY. ON OCCASSION SHIFTS TO 5TH EXHIBT A CLUNKY SENSATION AS WELL. AT 295 MILES WAS UNABLE TO SHIFT INTO 2ND GEAR, YOU COULD HEAR THE SYNCHROS WINDING UP IN THE TRANSMISSION DURING THE ATTEMPT. LIKEWISE MOVING BACK TO FIRST, EVEN AT SPEEDS OF LESS THAN 5MPH IN THIS INSTANCE, RESULTED IN A ROUGH ENGAGEMENT AND SYNCHRO WHINE FROM THE TRANNY. DRIVING IN 2ND GEAR AT 20MPH AND PUSHING THE CLUTCH IN TO COAST RESULTS IN A RATTLING NOISE INTERMITTENTLY. THIS RATTLING JUST STARTED WITHIN THE LAST 50 MILES OF DRIVING. THE BUILD DATE ON THE VEHICLE WAS 3/31/2011. I'VE NOT YET REPORTED THIS ISSUE TO MY FORD DEALER BUT INTEND TO SHORTLY! VERY VERY WORRIED AT OVER $42,000 THIS IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE VEHICLE I'VE EVER PURCHASED AND AM GRAVELY CONCERNED I MAY HAVE A LEMON ON MY HANDS. MY PREVIOUS MUSTANG WITH A 5 SPD MANUL NEVER EXHIBITED THESE TENDENCIES. FORD MUST RESOLVE THE ISSUES THE MT-82 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION IMMEADIATELY OR REPLACE IT WITH A PROPERLY DESIGNED ALTERNATE UNIT. I WON'T ENTERTAIN HAVING MY SPECIAL EDITION VEHICLE DAMAGED DUE TO A FAULTY TRANSMISSION. LIKEWISE I UNDERSTAND THE FIX OFFERED TO 2011 OWNERS ONLY MAKES MATTERS WORSE, I REFUSE TO TRY ANYTHING THAT WILL WORSEN THE CURRENT SITUATION. DEEPLY FEARFUL THAT CONTINUED USE OF MY 2012 VEHICLE WILL RESULT IN CONSIDERABLE DRIVETRAIN DAMAGE OR ACCIDENT.
Old 8/8/11, 08:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Watch it there Eric, might be your two arms letting go next time.

Dan,

Good to hear from you. I have to have my fun somewhere, because the 6AT is not as fun to drive as a properly working 6MT. But it certainly scoots, which IS fun! Hope Ford gets this figured out soon.
Old 8/8/11, 08:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Dan,

Good to hear from you. I have to have my fun somewhere, because the 6AT is not as fun to drive as a properly working 6MT. But it certainly scoots, which IS fun! Hope Ford gets this figured out soon.
Eric, nice to know you're somehow enjoying your new ride, you should get the Steeda tune for the automatic, i heard it turns this car into a beast.
Old 8/8/11, 08:41 PM

I seem to recall similar issues with the introduction of the Tremec TR3650 in the early 2001 Mustang GTs and Bullits, and the later Machs. I don't know that it was ever actually resolved; at one point, I think that Ford was saying it was a bad Tremec design, and Tremec was saying that Ford dictated the requirements of the design, and took the low road (cheaper over better). Either way, the customer was left with a 2-3 grind and a sour outlook on Ford. I'd really thought they'd gotten this one right this time.
Old 8/8/11, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackLead
I seem to recall similar issues with the introduction of the Tremec TR3650 in the early 2001 Mustang GTs and Bullits, and the later Machs. I don't know that it was ever actually resolved; at one point, I think that Ford was saying it was a bad Tremec design, and Tremec was saying that Ford dictated the requirements of the design, and took the low road (cheaper over better). Either way, the customer was left with a 2-3 grind and a sour outlook on Ford. I'd really thought they'd gotten this one right this time.
Ford can't blame anyone this time as it's built by Getrag-Ford Transmissions.

...Which explains why they're blaming owners... it's NEVER their fault
Old 8/8/11, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Eric, nice to know you're somehow enjoying your new ride, you should get the Steeda tune for the automatic, i heard it turns this car into a beast.
The steeda tune does WONDERS for the shifting on the auto

I really hope Ford sorts these tranny issues though, this is getting crazy. They're blaming owners for the tranny issues and they're blaming tuners for the motors popping #8......Anyone noticing a trend?
Old 8/8/11, 09:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts

Do you ever sleep?
How do you manage read all those forums? Do YOU ever sleep?
Old 8/8/11, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I dont know how this will turn out but I bet Ford wished now that they had just given JMatero a new Mustang. He has brought the thunder with him now. You would have to be living on another planet to not be aware of the Mt82 issues although Im well aware some are still not. With the main stream media picking up the story it will reach way past The Mustang Source and other forums and blogs.

I test drove a used 11 and it shifted worse than my Mach 1. The 3650 is far from perfect also but I only have issues with it cold from 1 to 2 and its just a clunk and no grinding. Been that way since day one. I also understand it may have been and probably was just a fluke but then I considered why a new Mustang with 2K plus miles was sitting on the lot. It could have been for a lot of reasons of course.

Its just my opinion again but I think there is way more to this than meets the eye. Chinese made just doesnt sit well with most people especially in an American Muscle car. Lets not forget those who want to buy a Focus or something and hear about this story and dig a little deeper. The Mustang is Fords top gun imo even if it sells in smaller numbers. Everybody loves them.

Despite my user name I love the Ford Motor Co for many reasons. They have made so many gains over the last 5 or so years its incredible. I have been following this pretty close because I at one time almost wanted to buy one. Today, I would not touch one new or used. I should not have to gamble my money away.

Everybody has problems. I think reasonable people expect it. How this issue has been handled over the last year is what I will remember. Ford gets a F-. If this is the way they want to do business then they are going to have to scrape for customers. Its no wonder the Camaro is beating them in sales. The Mustang minus the Mt82 is clearly the superior car.

In conclusion, I hope that some sort of resolution is found. Its sad as hell to me that it has had to come to this. Is Ford really this stupid or did they get caught with their pants down with an inferior product?? Only they know and the warning flags have been waving for months and months. I honestly have very little simpathy for them and just hope everybody can get their cars fixed. More importantly is that nobody gets hurt or killed.

Sorry for the long winded post.

PS I think the Boss 302 is the best Mustang every built but its a shame that Ford apparently cut a corner on the transmission. That just does not sit well with me and I bet the sale price of them will tank very soon. Be patient if you want to purchase one.

Due to Fords quality control issues they are by themselves driving the price down into the ground. Good job Ford.

Last edited by 3Mach1; 8/8/11 at 10:18 PM.
Old 8/9/11, 01:16 AM
Cobra Member

guy took pics of the insides of his MT82...

http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-19...mt82-pics.html
Old 8/9/11, 06:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
I totally understand that.

Here in California, during rush hour, there are traffic lights that allow cars to enter highways... when your light turns green, you have a very limited opportunity to get up to speed and merge into high-speed traffic. So, when you see an opening, you take it. Floor it in 1st... clutch in/out.... no second.... no first again.... no third... no fourth.... just 1st and 6th. With cars barreling down on you. 400hp is USELESS in 6th gear at 20mph. You lose momentum... and hear SCREEEEEEEECH behind you and just wait for the BANG.

The final straw for me was driving with a Ford Service Manager... we entered an intersection at slow speed and a woman drives THROUGH her red light. He was driving my car and tried to downshift from 4th to 3rd and NOTHING... then it wouldn't go into 2nd... or back into 4th. I thought we were done.
Why did he not hit the brakes? Not sure why he would try to down shift in that situation at all.
Old 8/9/11, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Owners completely unaware of the NHTSA and this forum are now posting all over the place... leading me to believe this is much bigger than even I THOUGHT it was...

Here's a guy on Edmunds:
Ok, thats unlike anything I have seen any one claim. How does the transmission lock him out AND the wheels lock???

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems