2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Old 8/10/11, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmatero

So far, very few owners without tunes have reported the issue so it's clearly related to the aftermarket programming
This post tells me a lot about you character.
edit: By the way that's BS!!!

Last edited by TTS197; 8/10/11 at 10:33 PM.
Old 8/10/11, 10:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TTS197
And yours.
Old 8/11/11, 12:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Ask my buddy about his brand new Camaro SS input shaft that took a crap on him less than 50 miles on the odometer... Durability my butt
No ****, a whole host of Camaros had that issue.

Chevy is hoping the public has a short memory, and is blind, so they can't see the abortion that happened inside the Camaro's interior compartment.
Old 8/11/11, 01:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
No ****, a whole host of Camaros had that issue.

Chevy is hoping the public has a short memory, and is blind, so they can't see the abortion that happened inside the Camaro's interior compartment.
I sat in a 2012 SS today and it has a new dash, instruments, wheel, seat, door panels, and shifter. Much improved.

and GM addressed the output shaft issue... Quickly... And it's a done deal.

How you can make a statement like that about an incident that happened 2 model years ago when Ford won't address this issue???

Get your facts straight... And don't be a hypocrite.

Last edited by jmatero; 8/11/11 at 01:20 AM.
Old 8/11/11, 03:22 AM

GM

You're statement about the GM/Tremec issue is incorrect. GM said they had no way of knowing how many or what cars had the exploding output shaft, and would be handled on a case by case basis. Has this changed? Yes, this was last year, they are still out there. We won't even get into the exploding half shafts.

You NEED a new Camaro, GM would love to have you as a customer.
Old 8/11/11, 03:53 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
You guys are having a pissing match that is not gonna fix your trans issues any quicker. I called it before, blocker ring/syncro prob. And as soon as ford techs have resolved this issue, a new tsb will be issued and they will repair your trans. If they are not already using carbon rings, they are just being really cheap. They cost $30 tops retail. Which means they probably cost ford about $8. I'm sure that a few cases were repaired already but they are gonna handle these cases individually. And they need to be sure that they are really fixed. Just hang in there guys.
Old 8/11/11, 07:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Swamp Dweller

LMAO!!
Old 8/11/11, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
You guys are having a pissing match that is not gonna fix your trans issues any quicker. I called it before, blocker ring/syncro prob. And as soon as ford techs have resolved this issue, a new tsb will be issued and they will repair your trans. If they are not already using carbon rings, they are just being really cheap. They cost $30 tops retail. Which means they probably cost ford about $8. I'm sure that a few cases were repaired already but they are gonna handle these cases individually. And they need to be sure that they are really fixed. Just hang in there guys.
Last teardown showed they're brass in the MT82.
Old 8/11/11, 08:46 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The crazy part of all this is that Ford Customer Care admitted back in May Ford Powertrain Engineers had become aware of a transmission problem. I'll be sure to alert the NHTSA to that.

Official 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Rough Shifting Thread - Page 267 - Ford Mustang Forums

???
They have been aware, jmatero. I made them aware of all of the member's concerns that I have dealt with since day 1. So, you are correct on that one.

Deysha
Old 8/11/11, 08:48 AM
GT Member

I sat in a 2012 SS today and it has a new dash, instruments, wheel, seat, door panels, and shifter. Much improved.

and GM addressed the output shaft issue... Quickly... And it's a done deal.

How you can make a statement like that about an incident that happened 2 model years ago when Ford won't address this issue???

Get your facts straight... And don't be a hypocrite.
Originally Posted by Swamp Dweller
You're statement about the GM/Tremec issue is incorrect. GM said they had no way of knowing how many or what cars had the exploding output shaft, and would be handled on a case by case basis. Has this changed? Yes, this was last year, they are still out there. We won't even get into the exploding half shafts.

I've been begging him to get a Camaro...anything other than another Mustang.
Old 8/11/11, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

wow ive never seen a thread with 385 pages unless it had nude pics in it lol

this whole tranny thing is going to be very interesting- they should just recall all of them and put a 8 speed in them lol
Old 8/11/11, 09:05 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c

this whole tranny thing is going to be very interesting- they should just recall all of them and put a 8 speed in them
I like this idea. That way the owners currently having shift problems would probably be able to find at least 6 gears to use. And the ones with no problems will have 2 spare gears as backups in case of problems.
Old 8/11/11, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Exclamation TODAY'S REPORTS TO THE NHTSA - 8/11/2011

Today's posts to the NHTSA:

Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary:
TL- THE CONTACT OWNS A 2012 FORD MUSTANG GT. THE CONTACT EXPERIENCED UNEXPECTED INABILITY TO SHIFT GEARS. ALSO WHEN HE ATTEMPTED TO PLACE THE VEHICLE INTO FIRST GEAR, REVERSE WAS ACTIVATED. THE DEALER CHANGED THE FLUID; HOWEVER, THE VEHICLE'S PERFORMANCE DID NOT CHANGE. THE MANUFACTURER WAS AWARE OF THE FAILURE. NO REPAIRS WERE PERFORMED. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 2500. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 800. BW
Component: POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Summary:
TL - THE CONTACT OWNS A 2011 FORD MUSTANG. THE CONTACT STATED THAT WHILE DRIVING VARIOUS SPEEDS THE VEHICLE WAS HARD TO SHIFT INTO GEAR. THE CONTACT MENTIONED THAT HE HAD TO PUMP THE CLUTCH SEVERAL TIMES IN ORDER FOR THE VEHICLE TO SHIFT INTO FIRST, SECOND OR THIRD GEAR AND IT WOULD NOT SHIFT INTO REVERSE AT ALL UNLESS THE VEHICLE WAS COMPLETELY TURN OFF. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO A DEALER WHO DIAGNOSED THAT THE TRANSMISSION WAS MALFUNCTIONING AND THEY WERE IN THE PROCESS OF FINDING A SUITABLE REMEDY FOR THE FAILURE. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOT MADE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 8,000 AND THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 8,600. PM
Summary:
SEVERE GRINDING AND NOTCHINESS WHEN TRANSMISSION IS COLD. SECOND GEAR WILL NOT ENGAGE AT ANYTHING GREATER THAN 1500RPM. ENTERING A 50MPH ROAD REQUIRES SHIFTING FROM 1ST TO 3RD WHEN TRANSMISSION IS COLD. OFTEN TIME VEHICLE IS DIFFICULT TO GET BACK INTO 1ST GEAR AT A STOP LIGHT, EVEN AFTER 40 MINUTES OF STRAIGHT DRIVING - ISSUE NOT DIRECTLY RELATED TO COLD WEATHER.
Summary:
TL- THE CONTACT OWNS 2011 FORD MUSTANG GT. THE CONTACT STATED WHILE DRIVING 100 MPH THE VEHICLE FAILED TO SHIFT TO 5TH GEAR. THE PASSENGER SIDE AIRBAG SENSOR ALSO PERIODICALLY ILLUMINATES OFF. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT TAKEN TO THE DEALER, AND THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOT CONTACTED. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 4,000 AND THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 6,456. RDS.
Component: POWER TRAIN: MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Summary:
TL- THE CONTACT OWNS 2011 FORD MUSTANG GT. THE CONTACT STATED WHILE DRIVING THE VEHICLE FAILED TO SHIFT TO 5TH GEAR. THE PASSENGER SIDE AIRBAG SENSOR ALSO PERIODICALLY ILLUMINATES OFF. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT TAKEN TO THE DEALER, AND THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOT CONTACTED. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 4,000 AND THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 6,456. RDS.
Summary:
TRANSMISSION WILL NOT GO INTO 1ST, 5TH AND 6TH GEAR. FORD REPLACED 2000 DOLLARS WORTH OF EQUIPMENT IN MY MUSTANG AND IT IS MUCH WORSE THAN BEFORE
Summary:
CAR HAS 8200 MILES ON AS OF 8-1-11.. MT-82 TRANSMISSION ISSUES.. GRINDING IN 1-3 GEARS SINCE 700 MILES, WITH OCCASIONAL LOCKOUT OF 2 GEAR AND NO INDICATIONS OF SKIPSHIFT SHOWING ON THE DISPLAY, THIS HAPPENS FREQUENTLY WHEN TURNING LEFT.. WHEN STOPPED AT A LIGHT OR STOP-SIGN UNABLE TO GET THE CAR IN ANY GEAR WHEN WITH THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY DEPRESSED TO THE FLOOR, THIS HAS CAUSED ME TO ALMOST GET REAR ENDED ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS WHEN THE PEOPLE ARE EXPTECTING YOU TO MOVE AND YOU DON'T.. WHEN THE CAR IS COLD OR TEMP OUTSIDE UNDER 50* WILL BE EXTREMLY "NOTCHY" AND GRINDING IN 2ND AND 3RD GEAR AND WILL FREQUENTLY PREVENT YOU FROM ENGAGING 1ST OR 2ND GEAR AT A STOP UNTIL SEVERAL MILES ARE DRIVEN. THIS AGAIN HAS ALMOST GOT ME REARENDED ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS.. THE SHIFTER ALSO VIBRATES IN YOUR HAND IN 3RD AND 5TH GEAR ALL OTHER GEARS ARE SMOOTH.. THIS WAS ALL BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF THE DEALER ON SEVERAL DIFFERENT VISITS STARTING IN JAN '11. THE FIRST 2 TIMES INTO THE DEALER THEY DIDNT EVEN PULL THE CAR INTO THE GARAGE AND TOLD ME THAT FORD IS AWARE OF AN ISSUE SINCE DEC. 2010 AND NO FIX AT THIS TIME. THE 3RD TIME IN LATE MARCH '11 I FINALLY CONVINCED THEM TO LET A TECH COME OUT FOR A RIDE, HE SAID "IT'S ALL NORMAL", SORRY A VIBRATING SHIFTER IN ANY GEAR IS NOT NORMAL, GRINDING IS NOT NORMAL. I REFUSE TO BRING MY CAR BACK INTO ANY DEALER UNTIL SOME REAL FIX IS FORCED UPON FORD THEY HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THESE ISSUES, I'M AWARE OF THE TSB REGUARDING CHANGING THE FLUID, FLUID WILL NOT FIX VIBRATIONS, OR THE ABILITY TO PUT A TRANSMISSION INTO A GEAR WHEN STOPPED NOR WILL IT FIX "GRINDING" WHICH IS SYNCHRO ISSUE.
Summary:
PROBLEMS SHIFTING CAR INTO GEAR. GEARS ARE NOTCHY AND ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SHIFT INTO FIRST WHEN CAR IS COLD. TRANSMISSION MAKING WHINING NOISES IN 1-4 GEARS
Summary:
CAR GET STUCK IN GEAR,CLUTCH WONT WORK SO YOU CANT PUT IN GEAR AT A STOPLIGHT OR SLOW DOWN!,ROUGH SHIFTS,TRANS WHINES REAL LOUD,CLUTCH PEDAL STICKS TO THE FLOOR!
Old 8/11/11, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

When the Camaro was having early transmission issues they were all over it. Scott Hoag who is one of the F body gurus was posting in the forums keeping people updated as to what they found out. He is a Mustang trash talker but the guy was on the stick trying to solve the issues.

That goes a long way with me. They knew they could not afford a screw up on the Camaro. Ford has gotten comfortable and there has not been a single word out of Dearborn Michigan of any importance of helping solve the issues. Plenty of time has passed by also.

I tell you, this does not sit well with me. You can screw up a lot of things but if you screw up the Mustang or F150 you are going to hear about it.
Old 8/11/11, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chevys
When the Camaro was having early transmission issues they were all over it. Scott Hoag who is one of the F body gurus was posting in the forums keeping people updated as to what they found out. He is a Mustang trash talker but the guy was on the stick trying to solve the issues.

That goes a long way with me. They knew they could not afford a screw up on the Camaro. Ford has gotten comfortable and there has not been a single word out of Dearborn Michigan of any importance of helping solve the issues. Plenty of time has passed by also.

I tell you, this does not sit well with me. You can screw up a lot of things but if you screw up the Mustang or F150 you are going to hear about it.
The issue was resolved.

At least he addressed owners right in the forums... and continues to.

December 1, 2009:
I understand over the recent Thanksgiving holiday, the Camaro output shaft topic heated up. We understand the members' passion and concern for this issue as it involves a major powertrain component. Rest assured, everyone on the Camaro team takes these issues very seriously, but there is some confusion regarding this matter that we would like to try to clear up.

As many of the members know, we started to receive warranty claim reports in June 2009 regarding output shaft failures on Camaro SS models with manual transmissions. When we noticed a spike in claims, a review was initiated to determine the root cause for the failure. This review is common practice for us, and usually takes a number weeks to complete. Since we did not immediately know the root cause, we did slow the shipments of Camaro SS models from Oshawa for a couple of weeks until the review was completed.

At the end of the review, we concluded the probability of a customer experiencing an output shaft failure under normal driving conditions are very low (or - if you are into engineer speak, "below tolerance"). In fact, even in the most extreme driving condition, the probability of failure does not significantly change.

Ideally, we would like to say that there is no chance a failure under any driving condition will occur. We know this is not possible since every car - regardless of manufacturer - has some probability of a part failing. In the case of Camaro, we believe the probability is very low. We have such confidence in the low probability that we back it up by providing the industry best's powertrain warranty - 100,000 miles or 5 years, which includes roadside assistance and courtesy transportation. If the powertrain part fails due to a defect in our workmanship or material, we'll correct the issue regardless of the number of owners a particular Camaro may have during that period.

Hopefully this will provide a little more insight from our perspective on this topic.

Sincerely,

John Fitzpatrick
Marketing Manager - Chevy Performance Cars
Old 8/12/11, 10:27 PM
Cobra Member

Im giving ford the benefit of the doubt. i am sure they are working on it, i suspect the delay is simply they can't figure out how to fix the problem. They probably can't figure it out because all of the transmission issues are so random and different. What I would like to know is if there is any clustering with the transmission issues. Are they at all related to build dates or lot numbers. I wonder if a bad batch of parts were integrated somewhere. This would explain why out of the 5 other 5.0 owners i know personally, my boss is the only car with an issue and these other guys are way harder on their cars than i am on mine. FTR I'd rather have a boss with a sticky fourth gear than a Camaro.

Last edited by ShaneM; 8/12/11 at 10:29 PM.
Old 8/13/11, 12:28 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TTS197
I'm glad you could call BS on his line there without being called a troll.... I wish others could get away with that.
Old 8/13/11, 12:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by brycerichert
I'm glad you could call BS on his line there without being called a troll.... I wish others could get away with that.
You don't get away with that because you've already been exposed as a troll... Not just here... But just now at AFM.
Old 8/13/11, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

You don't even OWN a Mustang.

I do and have a report in to the NHTSA.

Who's trolling this thread?

Last edited by adrenalin; 8/13/11 at 12:31 PM.
Old 8/13/11, 08:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just noticed in Post #213, several of the NHTSA reports state; " The contact", preceded by the letters TL. Does this mean someone else is making this report in lieu of the actual owner? Is someone going through the forums and making reports based on comments in the forums. Curious...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems