Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/11, 02:24 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
There are two issues here.
1: Gear lock out at high rpm's and grinding into gear is a legit problem. This should be repaired.
2: Manual mustang transmission making a whining noise. Not necessarily a problem. May be a characteristic of the trans. I'm on my 4th manual stang and also had 2 manual f- bodies. They make noise.
The problem here is a few people commented on a whining noise and thought it was a problem. Now everybody else is listening for a whine and everybody has a problem. Some manual transmissions make noise. If they shift smooth and are not drowning out you radio, you may have to live with it.
Old 9/30/11, 02:35 PM

If it's an excessive noise, there could be something to it. But they all make noise. Nature of the beast gear to gear. Lubricating agents may help some but not completely. Questions have to be asked. What gears, speeds, pulling, coasting to further diagnose.
Old 9/30/11, 02:40 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I get the gear lock out at high rpms.. I thought it was skip shift

Last edited by Flagstang; 9/30/11 at 02:43 PM.
Old 9/30/11, 02:51 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I would say 40% of the time 3rd gear is a pain to get into.
Old 9/30/11, 03:40 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sick and tired of sifting through trash on the AFM boards. You can't speak freely there and if you try, you get chased out of there. If you don't have a "catastrophic failure" then you're an idiot, by their logic. It's pathetic really, and makes the ENTIRE Mustang community look bad as a result.

I'll say this; skip shift is a problem IMO. Taking it off via a tune is a massive improvement in the function of the shifter. I suggest that to anyone. Personally, I hope Ford removes it here in the future to see if the results go down. I agree, it shouldn't be like this where a new vehicle has issues, but you can only test so much before people find things that engineers may not have thought of (and this happens in all areas). Ford, on the other hand, could release a bunch of stop gap fixes that may or may not resolve anything (the QDC fluid was one) but may either mask one situation, but expose another. If you can't find the root cause, it's not worth trying to push to market a band-aid solution. That's why the NHTSA will set it straight if there's a root cause, and what will be done for owners.

Jmatero's logic that "Chinese built MT82s = crap" is the most asinine logic I've ever seen. If you want to fixate on an opinion, then be my guest. Prancing around the internet spewing ridiculous banter isn't going to help anyone. That's why he, and his band of cronies at AFM, are doing the entire community no good.
Old 9/30/11, 03:48 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
I'm sick and tired of sifting through trash on the AFM boards. You can't speak freely there and if you try, you get chased out of there. If you don't have a "catastrophic failure" then you're an idiot, by their logic. It's pathetic really, and makes the ENTIRE Mustang community look bad as a result.

I'll say this; skip shift is a problem IMO. Taking it off via a tune is a massive improvement in the function of the shifter. I suggest that to anyone. Personally, I hope Ford removes it here in the future to see if the results go down. I agree, it shouldn't be like this where a new vehicle has issues, but you can only test so much before people find things that engineers may not have thought of (and this happens in all areas). Ford, on the other hand, could release a bunch of stop gap fixes that may or may not resolve anything (the QDC fluid was one) but may either mask one situation, but expose another. If you can't find the root cause, it's not worth trying to push to market a band-aid solution. That's why the NHTSA will set it straight if there's a root cause, and what will be done for owners.

Jmatero's logic that "Chinese built MT82s = crap" is the most asinine logic I've ever seen. If you want to fixate on an opinion, then be my guest. Prancing around the internet spewing ridiculous banter isn't going to help anyone. That's why he, and his band of cronies at AFM, are doing the entire community no good.
Yep, the group is pretty moronic. They can't accept the % of people who have no problems at all. It's a very small lovefest over there.
Old 9/30/11, 03:54 PM

The problem lies with Getrag. Not Ford and not necessarily the Chinese. Getrag won the bid to build and supply ford transmission for the new mustangs. Ford saved a buck for sure and may have to pay for it in the end. Maybe just a bad design on an engineering side of things. Maybe wrong materials were used. All engineering issues and they are not gonna redesign a new trans to take care of your problems. They will "band-aid" fix it the cheapest way possible. The MT-82 will probably be replaced with another model trans in the next stang. Its a crappy situation but that is how it's gonna happen. Everybody is not gonna get a new transmission and the band-aid will be there to get you through your factory warranty.

Last edited by AlsCobra; 9/30/11 at 03:55 PM.
Old 9/30/11, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
The problem lies with Getrag. Not Ford and not necessarily the Chinese. Getrag won the bid to build and supply ford transmission for the new mustangs. Ford saved a buck for sure and may have to pay for it in the end. Maybe just a bad design on an engineering side of things. Maybe wrong materials were used. All engineering issues and they are not gonna redesign a new trans to take care of your problems. They will "band-aid" fix it the cheapest way possible. The MT-82 will probably be replaced with another model trans in the next stang. Its a crappy situation but that is how it's gonna happen. Everybody is not gonna get a new transmission and the band-aid will be there to get you through your factory warranty.
Unfortunate, but true.

I have a toy that I can't play with. If I do want to play with it, I have to listen to an annoying transmission and a knocking engine. Needless to say, I'll probably drop the car once I've cut through the negative equity. Unfortunate, considering the car is freakishly awesome in every way except it's drivetrain.

I've long held that I don't fault ford for producing my car. it's mass produced, things happen. However it's been a royal pain to deal with ford on these issues and they are unwilling to do proper diagnosis to ascertain any issues on my car. That's where Ford gets an F from me.
Old 9/30/11, 04:58 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Al, you're absolutely right.

I also agree with dealing with Ford regarding warranty issues. I haven't been overly thrilled with how things have been handled with a clunk in the driveline on my car. It took me escalating the situation and taking the shop foreman for a ride to simply acknowledge the issue, then, after a week of trying to replicate it, it was simply "can't replicate, return to customer". I'm going to bite the bullet and look into it myself over the weekend, but the point is, my dealer has been decent with me. There are horror stories from dealers who are so misinformed and diluted that they don't know which way is up. Look at all the misinformation and lies regarding FRPP parts and tunes. Scare tactics, faulty logic, and general ignorance don't help when there's a problem.
Old 9/30/11, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
I think people here literally think that Jmatero has you in a trance, that your tranny is fine and he's just convinced you there's a problem.

They only have two arguments:
1) Jmatero is complaining a lot, so therefore he must just want the attention and there's no problem.
2) The majority of cars don't have problems, so why worry?

Remove jmatero from the equation people, there are still cars that need to be fixed. And many of them have had no luck with any combination of clutch/fluid/shifter changes.

And telling someone to just go straight to the BBB/lawyer? That's not very helpful either, I'm sure most people would still love to keep their car if they could be fixed.

And what's up with people stalking Jmatero and seeing when he logs in here? kinda creepy (as they put my name into google)
Listen, nobody has claimed that all cars are good and Matero and his ilk are making all this up. What we have a problem with is that clan claiming that "All Chinese made MT82s are crap and Ford rushed the new 5.0 Mustang to production which is why all these problems exist and anyone who denies that is an idiot".

Sure there are ligimitate problems. No one is denying that some 2011 Mustangs have had to have transmissions replaced. The fact is that a vast majority of these cars are running great and problem free. With every make of every car ever made there are lemons. The internet has made it seem like there are more lemons than before because these people now have a platform from where to preach. And yes, if a new car has gone through 3 transmissions it probably should be replaced. It is manmade, mistakes happen...

I am getting fed up with people thinking we have a problem with Matero because we think he is lying and we think the Mustang is flawless and undeniably awesome (this point is true and a FACT). No, we have a problem with the way the message is being presented and the false claims that he makes and how he berates those who present him with valid counter arguements. The sooner everyone on his side understands this fact, the sooner we can get back to helping those with problems.
Old 9/30/11, 06:05 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Listen, nobody has claimed that all cars are good and Matero and his ilk are making all this up. What we have a problem with is that clan claiming that "All Chinese made MT82s are crap and Ford rushed the new 5.0 Mustang to production which is why all these problems exist and anyone who denies that is an idiot".

Sure there are ligimitate problems. No one is denying that some 2011 Mustangs have had to have transmissions replaced. The fact is that a vast majority of these cars are running great and problem free. With every make of every car ever made there are lemons. The internet has made it seem like there are more lemons than before because these people now have a platform from where to preach. And yes, if a new car has gone through 3 transmissions it probably should be replaced. It is manmade, mistakes happen...

I am getting fed up with people thinking we have a problem with Matero because we think he is lying and we think the Mustang is flawless and undeniably awesome (this point is true and a FACT). No, we have a problem with the way the message is being presented and the false claims that he makes and how he berates those who present him with valid counter arguements. The sooner everyone on his side understands this fact, the sooner we can get back to helping those with problems.
long sotry short..

STOP BEING A DRAMA QUEEN AND CRY WOLF.. ITS NOT HELPING!

Last edited by Flagstang; 10/1/11 at 12:49 PM.
Old 9/30/11, 08:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JobeNole44

I'm an idiot.
Old 9/30/11, 09:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost

My GT was built last August and I have about 2500 miles on it. I've tried everything to get skip shift to activate but it won't. I changed the engine oil at 1500 miles and while I was at it checked to see if the skip shift solenoid was there and connected. It was. My transmission shifts smoothly and is quiet. I'm wondering if Ford has already disabled the skip shift function. Has anyone else with a recent build GT noticed this?
Old 9/30/11, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It is very hard to "make" it kick in. I found shifting to 2nd at about 1700 rpm and very gentle acceleration from the stop while making a normal in town right turn from a light was the most it happened. Usually following some granny in an old Taurus.......putt putt putt...

I unplugged mine at about 1000 miles and have no tranny issues. Not necessary to get a tune to deactivate it. Unplugged is a definite way to fix it.

Last edited by AzPete; 9/30/11 at 09:46 PM.
Old 9/30/11, 09:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
I'm an idiot.
Nope.... it's not that.
Old 10/1/11, 12:16 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Cbaty08

THEY ASKED ME TO STOP POSTING ON BOARDS AND I WOULD BE PROMISED BETTER SERVICE.

WHAT A CROCK OF SCHITT.

THAT right there makes you sound just like jmatero......

You have no clue how service side and manufacturers do things. I've truely never seen any manufacture come and say they have a issue to the public. It's so easy to sit there spew BS I like to see you back it up in court. I'm sure Ford could sue I'm ok for someone to give there opinion but to go on and on about it treating it as fact with no proof is another thing. One person saying something do get others to think they have the same problem.

I think some there driving style don't fit MT-82 trans especially the ones who came out of front wheel drive car.

If you want to see company who just had to recall 590,000 engines 07-current because of emission and software not right see caterpiller accert engines. Just about every one had problems no power or bad fuel mileage or both. Is it there fault they tried to make owners happy but got caught. That EPA put them in this box because they moved up emission standards 3yrs putting all of them in a bine.
Old 10/1/11, 12:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
THAT right there makes you sound just like jmatero......

You have no clue how service side and manufacturers do things. I've truely never seen any manufacture come and say they have a issue to the public. It's so easy to sit there spew BS I like to see you back it up in court. I'm sure Ford could sue I'm ok for someone to give there opinion but to go on and on about it treating it as fact with no proof is another thing. One person saying something do get others to think they have the same problem.

I think some there driving style don't fit MT-82 trans especially the ones who came out of front wheel drive car.

If you want to see company who just had to recall 590,000 engines 07-current because of emission and software not right see caterpiller accert engines. Just about every one had problems no power or bad fuel mileage or both. Is it there fault they tried to make owners happy but got caught. That EPA put them in this box because they moved up emission standards 3yrs putting all of them in a bine.
They share the same login and obviously do not represent the masses.
Old 10/1/11, 12:50 AM

Blah blah blah blah. Jmatero jmatero jmatero jmatero. You bought a first year new model. You got problems. Ford will get to it one day. It ain't that bad. It could be worse.
Attached Images  
Old 10/1/11, 01:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Blah blah blah blah. Jmatero jmatero jmatero jmatero. You bought a first year new model. You got problems. Ford will get to it one day. It ain't that bad. It could be worse.
Actually no, there are no problems, except for the cheap interior which a Mustang has always had... and the cup holders.
Old 10/1/11, 06:32 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cbaty08
THEY ASKED ME TO STOP POSTING ON BOARDS AND I WOULD BE PROMISED BETTER SERVICE.

WHAT A CROCK OF SCHITT.

So, you obviously ignored their requests by repeatedly posting here...so do us a favor and show us this communication where they asked you to stop posting so you could get better service?

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems