Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/11, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beerbarrel
I see very little on the transit van issues and the landrover issue. I wish he would post links to these issues.
That's because there is very little. The MT-82 doesn't even make the top / common transit problems. Part of creating perceptions is to use people's natural laziness and make them look for the cites. Being paranoid about mechanical things I have I actually searched it out again and again and there is no evidence of these so called wide spread issues in the Transit and little more in the transit in the defender, but those in the defender forums are saying the defender has a lighter duty version of the trans. I did not independently verify, I trust they know their own vehicles as interchange questions is what I typically found. People asking if they could swap the MT-82 into their older transits and land rovers!

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
You think MT82 bad anyone remember T5's
I really don't remember anything bad about T5's. I do remember people moaning about the T-45 replacing it.
Old 10/19/11, 12:37 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
The T5's were great. What are you talking about? They never had issues until you missed a gear and blew up a syncro. Driver error. Many 10 sec. foxes on stock T5's. I have a lot more confidence in the 5 than the 56. You're one angry little dude that needs to buy a Honda.

What are you talking about who's angry??
Old 10/19/11, 12:38 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Soooo, if that was a cold weather fix.... and everyone mis-used the TSB by putting in thinner fluid...what happens when the weather gets warm again?? is Ford gonna go to another weight fluid and if they do are you gonna claim that is being abused as well. Ford is playing fire-fighter right now jumping here and there trying to come up with band-aid fixes. Why?? because a real fix is not cost effective or does not exist yet.

My transmission has zero issues. My nephews 2011 5.0 with manual tranny is a piece of junk and he has done everything that Ford has told him to do. Different dealerships even with the same result. If he mis-used any TSBs...well then the Ford dealerships mis-used it as they worked on his car.

In case your gonna claim operator error, he has driven my car and drives it flawlessly.

Its being done to make you happy thats why
Old 10/19/11, 12:42 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12
That's because there is very little. The MT-82 doesn't even make the top / common transit problems. Part of creating perceptions is to use people's natural laziness and make them look for the cites. Being paranoid about mechanical things I have I actually searched it out again and again and there is no evidence of these so called wide spread issues in the Transit and little more in the transit in the defender, but those in the defender forums are saying the defender has a lighter duty version of the trans. I did not independently verify, I trust they know their own vehicles as interchange questions is what I typically found. People asking if they could swap the MT-82 into their older transits and land rovers!

I really don't remember anything bad about T5's. I do remember people moaning about the T-45 replacing it.
GM had more problems with T5's than Ford did because they didn't goto world class version way after than Ford did. Funny T5 was use behind V6 Mustang's in tell 2010. But they have all the updates in them to keep them together
Old 10/19/11, 01:53 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
I hardly think its a one man crusade now. THe mt Getrag is probematic and its a known issue. This is a "known" problem and the 11 and 12 Mustangs are marked. Its killing the resale of them. That is just a fact.

20 20 or not the damage has been done. People who are plugged in and enthusiastes will always wonder since Ford is silent on the China made transmission/ That says it all to me. They know its half assed. IM not impressed at all with Ford of late.
I do not think or see it hurting resale at all. My blue book looks very good right now. I am 500 buxks from being in the green. I am sorry but you keep saying things that are just untrue. Most people outsdie of these few mustang forums have never even heard of the mustangs having any trans issues.

You should go buy a chevy and move on.
Old 10/19/11, 01:57 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

also??? how would anyone at this point know good solid numbers on the resale of a 2011 much less a 2012? You make no sense and are just repeating the same stuff with no backup or anything of value added other then you read on the internet.

Old 10/19/11, 02:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I do not think or see it hurting resale at all. My blue book looks very good right now. I am 500 buxks from being in the green. I am sorry but you keep saying things that are just untrue. Most people outsdie of these few mustang forums have never even heard of the mustangs having any trans issues.

You should go buy a chevy and move on.
Good for you. Perhaps the resale is in my mind because I wont touch one new or used without deep discounts. When NTHSA gets done you may see KBB drop but who knows. Its true most dont know the Mustang uses a China made manual trans but you would have to be living on another planet not to know if your an enthusiast. Mustangers are not like the typical Focus buyer. They are more informed than the typical new car buyer or used for that matter.
Old 10/19/11, 03:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

also??? how would anyone at this point know good solid numbers on the resale of a 2011 much less a 2012? You make no sense and are just repeating the same stuff with no backup or anything of value added other then you read on the internet.

Lol on the kool aid man. That goes both ways you know. We have a known issue with no fix so how am I not making sense? OH, we have the fluid change though. It might not reflect on paper just yet but those in the know are aware of the transmissions. Why should I take a 35K chance on one? The warranty is useless for the most part because they replace bad parts with more bad parts and there you are. Down the road if it fails again you just have to eat it with even more bad parts but you get to pay for it this time. The T56 Magnum seems to be a decent solution if you have to pay for it out of pocket. NO way would I put another Getrag in one if I had to pay for it.

Lets just sit back and see what happens. There is no point in any of us arguing back an forth. It solves nothing and we all have our opinions. I do hope a fix can be found and owners dont suffer when they get out of warranty.

If I wanted a Chevy I would have bought one but I detest bail out companies. I hate the Camaro interior and its too heavy. The LS3 is one heck of a power plant but its just not for me. Im a Ford supporter and want them to do well. I just want them to man up if they screw up and stand behind their product and COMMUNICATE! They are unwilling to do this at this point. This is what constantly leads me to believe its all about the all might dollar instead of customer satisfaction and confidence. I wish I could speak with somebody on the Mustang team because I truely believe they care about the product and perception but I think they have been silenced by the bean counters. They are the best salesmen the company has and somebody somewhere is too stupid to realize it.
Old 10/19/11, 04:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by falhulk
Well, I got locked out of 4th 2 times in the last 2 times I drove the car. Shifted perfectly up till now and only happened once per drive. Both times it was 3rd to 4th and at redline. I tried to slowly shift into 4th but had to go to 5th. After going to 5th I was able to go back to 4th. I tried to duplicate it but was not able to.
Exactly what happens to me!! Im gonna set up a camera to see if the pedal is doing anything it shouldn't
It only happens on any rpm over 6k on 3 to 4th..
Old 10/19/11, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I think you have a clutch issue. High rpm not fully releasing. Oem clutch may never get you there. Just my opinion. Performance clutch upgrade should do the trick. But it does suck that oem is not sufficient.
Nope, the pedal worked like a charm to get into 5th. I am aware of the clutch pedal sticking to the floor at high rpm but mine was normal. It just refused to shift into 4th.
Old 10/19/11, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
Exactly what happens to me!! Im gonna set up a camera to see if the pedal is doing anything it shouldn't
It only happens on any rpm over 6k on 3 to 4th..
No, you would know if it was the clutch pedal. It gets sucked to the floor and will not release until the rpms drop.
Old 10/19/11, 12:57 PM
V6 Member

Thats funny
Old 10/19/11, 09:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its being done to make you happy thats why
So my nephew took his car to Ford and they volunteered to perform the TSB fluid change just to make him happy? It didn't fix anything. His transmission is still garbage. Who is happy in this?
Old 10/20/11, 12:24 AM
V6 Member

So my nephew took his car to Ford and they volunteered to perform the TSB fluid change just to make him happy? It didn't fix anything. His transmission is still garbage. Who is happy in this?
Because you read it on the internet you told him dealership doing it to make him shut up. Is this you wanting to hear? You know full well why they did it so why play dumb with me.
Old 10/20/11, 01:55 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by chevys
Lol on the kool aid man. That goes both ways you know. We have a known issue with no fix so how am I not making sense? OH, we have the fluid change though. It might not reflect on paper just yet but those in the know are aware of the transmissions. Why should I take a 35K chance on one? The warranty is useless for the most part because they replace bad parts with more bad parts and there you are. Down the road if it fails again you just have to eat it with even more bad parts but you get to pay for it this time. The T56 Magnum seems to be a decent solution if you have to pay for it out of pocket. NO way would I put another Getrag in one if I had to pay for it.

Lets just sit back and see what happens. There is no point in any of us arguing back an forth. It solves nothing and we all have our opinions. I do hope a fix can be found and owners dont suffer when they get out of warranty.

If I wanted a Chevy I would have bought one but I detest bail out companies. I hate the Camaro interior and its too heavy. The LS3 is one heck of a power plant but its just not for me. Im a Ford supporter and want them to do well. I just want them to man up if they screw up and stand behind their product and COMMUNICATE! They are unwilling to do this at this point. This is what constantly leads me to believe its all about the all might dollar instead of customer satisfaction and confidence. I wish I could speak with somebody on the Mustang team because I truely believe they care about the product and perception but I think they have been silenced by the bean counters. They are the best salesmen the company has and somebody somewhere is too stupid to realize it.
they are not unwilling.. I just do not see any meat to the case you bring forth. You have not added anything about what you feel which is not fact and to top it off you have only driven one car.
Old 10/20/11, 08:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Because you read it on the internet you told him dealership doing it to make him shut up. Is this you wanting to hear? You know full well why they did it so why play dumb with me.
Actually he got his car before I got my Boss. He drove my 2010 Grabber Blue and wanted a 2011 with the new 5.0. His car started having lots of problems when he got around 1500 miles on the car. I search the internet to see what others have done to correct the issue. His car didn't develop the issue because I told him about it. His car developed the issue before any Jmatero threads were out there in large numbers. This issue with his car has been going on long before I heard of Jmatero.

They did it because its the quick fix of the month....
Old 10/20/11, 12:24 PM
V6 Member

Actually he got his car before I got my Boss. He drove my 2010 Grabber Blue and wanted a 2011 with the new 5.0. His car started having lots of problems when he got around 1500 miles on the car. I search the internet to see what others have done to correct the issue. His car didn't develop the issue because I told him about it. His car developed the issue before any Jmatero threads were out there in large numbers. This issue with his car has been going on long before I heard of Jmatero.

They did it because its the quick fix of the month....
Reading way too much into it
Old 10/20/11, 02:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Reading way too much into it
most of your comments in this thread are
Old 10/20/11, 02:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Guys, guys, guys, please stop the bashing or take it to PM. Thx
Old 10/20/11, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I got post 800 and I'm not adding anything of use here either! This thread turned into a joke.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems