2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/11, 04:22 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cbaty08
As I sit here trying to research more and more on this horrible tranny, I found this thread.

I wanted to state the disgust I have with all of you who are obsessed with jmatero; sure he may be annoyying, but how the hell do you think he feels?

I can tell you how he feels because I am in the same boat.

I am not here to argue, but enlighten; there is a real issue here and all of who are foaming at the mouth for matero's neck is just silly.

Feel free to google my name as well to see how big of a baby you might presume I am.

This problem is real, and it isn't going away.
Do you wipe his rear too.......

Have you really sit down and read through all his BS. ALL MANUFACTERS have some sort of issues or problems. His problem he thinks we all have same problem or should have. 4 trans in 5000 miles they replaced everything more then twice between engine and rear. But Ford not honoring there warranty really come on. I'm betting if FORD gave him new car he have the same problem again gave him another car he have the same issue again.

How many times do you have to be told we not out to get him or cars don't have problems. It the way he goes about it in sky is falling sky is falling.
Old 9/15/11, 04:24 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
The last that I heard from matero is that his computer was in the shop with grinding gears. He is now on all the computer forums complaining about it.
That just too funny
Old 9/15/11, 05:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pdmustgt
Do you wipe his rear too.......

Have you really sit down and read through all his BS. ALL MANUFACTERS have some sort of issues or problems. His problem he thinks we all have same problem or should have. 4 trans in 5000 miles they replaced everything more then twice between engine and rear. But Ford not honoring there warranty really come on. I'm betting if FORD gave him new car he have the same problem again gave him another car he have the same issue again.

How many times do you have to be told we not out to get him or cars don't have problems. It the way he goes about it in sky is falling sky is falling.
That childish comment was uncalled for... 8 post huh... and already your being an ***
Old 9/15/11, 06:26 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hes got a point tho.. you should not take up someone elses cause if you do not know all the details.
Old 9/15/11, 06:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
That childish comment was uncalled for... 8 post huh... and already your being an ***
Really? This is the internet, where people say TWSS, PWNED, and post pictures making fun of everything. Plus, I hear worse every day in my office amongst friends... Get over yourself. First you are mad the thread got off topic, and now you are calling posters childish. I thought the remark was spot on, guess I am childish. If you don't like the thread don't look.

>ENDRANT... Sorry all, I just get irked when poeple take the internet way too seriously, like JMatero (lol). I see these forums as 80% fun and 20% serious/helpful. This has obviously become a fun thread.
Old 9/15/11, 06:33 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
please keep in mind that many people in this forum 20% helpful and 80% fun.
Old 9/15/11, 07:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
hes got a point tho.. you should not take up someone elses cause if you do not know all the details.
And you do? he stuck up for jmatero on bringing the situation to light and noted he has the same issues with his car. Because he is defending that jmatero brought the issue up...and then backed it up by stating lmatero is annoying... he is asked if he is wiping jmatero's ***.... why are people that have issues insulted just because they are grateful that one annoying person brought the issue up?
Old 9/15/11, 07:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
please keep in mind that many people in this forum 20% helpful and 80% fun.
The problem is when new people join and see this kind of behavior were people are pounced on for having issues or supporting some with issues by you guys...it becomes fun to try and fit in by doing the same to be one of the gang. "Cbaty08" stated nothing to deserve the comment.

The problem with the internet is it's too easy to say crap whilst you hide behind your keyboard. A lot of stuff said on here I bet would not be said to someone face to face

Last edited by MyStang2010GB; 9/16/11 at 04:48 PM.
Old 9/15/11, 09:15 AM

Guys - As a prospective Musting owner, I am very interested in all the info I can gather on these trans issues. But it is hard to read thru 26 pages of you all b1tch1ng about one user. What are the chances you can all just drop it and bring this thread back around to the original point?
Old 9/15/11, 10:36 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Alright guys. It's obvious that the trans on the new stangs is not up to par. Just my opinions here. The shifter is secured to the body instead of the trans(problem #1). It needs to be rigid and flex with the engine and trans. Possible Barton bracket or MGW shifter should take care of a lot of the missed gears. The shifters are in a bind under acceleration.
Let the dealers do the fluid swap for the noisy trans issues. It's very possible that it will help. Noisy trans doesnt mean that there is a problem. May just be a characteristic of the mt82.
You guys might have to come out of your own pockets for a few upgrades before you are satisfied. Would like to know if anybody has tried any of these routes yet.
Old 9/15/11, 10:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Alright guys. It's obvious that the trans on the new stangs is not up to par. Just my opinions here. The shifter is secured to the body instead of the trans(problem #1). It needs to be rigid and flex with the engine and trans. Possible Barton bracket or MGW shifter should take care of a lot of the missed gears. The shifters are in a bind under acceleration.
Let the dealers do the fluid swap for the noisy trans issues. It's very possible that it will help. Noisy trans doesnt mean that there is a problem. May just be a characteristic of the mt82.
You guys might have to come out of your own pockets for a few upgrades before you are satisfied. Would like to know if anybody has tried any of these routes yet.
I agree with you on some of your recommendations / mods and your statement about coming out of pocket as well. I have already done the MTL fluid change-out. You will be surprised how quickly you notice a difference. I am also looking into getting the MGW shifter bracket. The OEM piece looks like a high schooler made it in metal shop class
Old 9/15/11, 10:59 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been following the trans. fluid situation, is the MTL still the way to go? I may end up going this route after the dealer fixes my shifting clunk.
Old 9/15/11, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB

I agree with you on some of your recommendations / mods and your statement about coming out of pocket as well. I have already done the MTL fluid change-out. You will be surprised how quickly you notice a difference. I am also looking into getting the MGW shifter bracket. The OEM piece looks like a high schooler made it in metal shop class
Yeah. If you actually look at how the shifter is secured, and then just look at how much your engine and trans move when you rev it, it starts to make sense. The gears are never in the same place.
The problem from what I see is the mt82 has been shortened. This helps with handling torque because of a shorter mainshaft. If the tail housing went all the way to the shifter, and the shifter was bolted back to it, there would probably be a lot less misses and grinds. But a longer main shaft would be a lot weaker and would probably result in shafts snapping. The only solution I see is aftermarket.
Old 9/15/11, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Overboost
I haven't been following the trans. fluid situation, is the MTL still the way to go? I may end up going this route after the dealer fixes my shifting clunk.
If it was me, I would probably try royal purple synchromesh fluid swap. I'm wondering if your clunk may be a rear end backlash problem.
Old 9/15/11, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

While I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, there's a few issues as I see it.

The fluid swap doesn't cure everybody's issues. In fact, the fluid swap made my transmission noticeably noisier. Though I have to say that shift effort feels much better and much more precise. The issue I'm having with my noisy transmission is that it was dead quiet until about 4500 miles. It would be easier to accept a "normal" explanation if the car was delivered as it sits today.

Secondly, an owner of a brand new car should never have to spend money, out of pocket, on modifications to make the car right. Especially since those modifications will likely cause a denied warranty claim if there is some type of failure.

Hypothetical situation here. Lets say that something within my transmission is giving up the ghost. To try and remedy the situation, I spend funds out of pocket to replace the obviously childish shifter linkage, bracket and a fluid like the redline MTL.

Those items aren't going to cure a bearing that is letting go. But if/when it does, Ford will laugh at me when I try to have the transmission replaced under warranty. I'm then out several thousand more for a replacement transmission. This is not acceptable and also one of the reasons we have things in this country like the magnuson vs moss act. It's sole purpose is to safe-guard consumers from companies that don't make good on the rights indemnified within the warranty contract.
Old 9/15/11, 11:09 AM
GTR Member

If it was me, I would probably try royal purple synchromesh fluid swap. I'm wondering if your clunk may be a rear end backlash problem.
I've isolated the area to under the shifter. You can hear it as the car comes out of gear above 3000 rpm, it makes a whirring noise after the clunk as something is slowing down.

I've thought about doing the Amsoil Severe Gear oil in the trans. I had good luck with it in my previous car, especially in the winter.
Old 9/15/11, 11:31 AM

To Jimounce: I hear what you are saying. I used to build these things for a living. Not the mt82's but quite a few manuals. I don't think the noise will be a bearing. There's only gonna be 3 or 4 main bearings in there. Pretty much just like wheel bearings but with a lot less stress on them than wheel bearings. Sounds like gear to gear noise that your hearing. A different fluid may really help in your case. But it may be something you are gonna have to accept. I would drive a couple more with similar mileage and compare.
Overboost: sounds like a friction hang up to me. Possibly blocker ring or something. I would have to hear it to get any closer. You guys have to meet your technicians at your dealer. Talk directly to them and have them ride with you. If he doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about, he probably doesn't. May have to see another dealer.
Old 9/15/11, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

To Jimounce: I hear what you are saying. I used to build these things for a living. Not the mt82's but quite a few manuals. I don't think the noise will be a bearing. There's only gonna be 3 or 4 main bearings in there. Pretty much just like wheel bearings but with a lot less stress on them than wheel bearings. Sounds like gear to gear noise that your hearing. A different fluid may really help in your case. But it may be something you are gonna have to accept. I would drive a couple more with similar mileage and compare.
Overboost: sounds like a friction hang up to me. Possibly blocker ring or something. I would have to hear it to get any closer. You guys have to meet your technicians at your dealer. Talk directly to them and have them ride with you. If he doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about, he probably doesn't. May have to see another dealer.
You're probably right. And, if the MGW shifter had been around when I first purcahsed the car, maybe I'd still have an engine that's louder than my transmission.

Regardless, something has changed within the case. Whether it be how the gears are meshing, possible bearings, etc. I'm not a transmission tech. The whine is rpm and load dependent, which leads me to believe, whatever changed is on the input side.
Old 9/15/11, 11:51 AM
GTR Member

I had it in at the dealer a few weeks ago for it, and they "couldn't replicate issue". I am going back and taking the shop foreman for a ride so that he can identify that there is a problem. Locally, Stinger, J1000, and Stangpilot have been in my car and heard something that was abnormal.
Old 9/15/11, 12:01 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthonynoz
About a month since I picked up my car and I call b.s on that bulletin fluid swap, oh and my lower control arms are still noisy lol
Hi Anthonynoz,

I’d like to get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager in your area to help get it resolved. I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then private message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems