Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Latest reason for the hold on GT's/Rumours on the Holds/Update on the Holds/Holds

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/10, 08:11 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
I think that's the purpose of the blend #. Based on OAC_Sparky's post, the blend puts "like cars" together. So I doubt it's that big of a deal to pull 1 RapidSpec 401a from 500.
Even though like cars are together, there are still variances in engines, trim, body type, colour, etc, at some point along the line. If you pull a coupe, the body shells are ok until the first convertible comes along, for example.

Good point though, the Blend number would be useful for resetting the line(s). Still, I imagine that it would take a fair bit of effort to physically pull (semi)-completed parts off of the lines at various points. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, just commenting on the amount of work that goes into QC'ing the production process.

Last edited by PTRocks; 6/16/10 at 08:16 PM.
Old 6/16/10, 10:04 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awaiting shipment for as month and a half. Finally in transit.
Old 6/16/10, 10:12 PM

Finally!

I'm new to this forum guys so if I have posted improperly, I apologize. My original ETA was 5/29. It got moved to 5/30 (?). Then, the ETA was gone and my dealer said June or July. I heard from my dealer today and here is what the message said, "Hey Dave, great news ! As of yesterday,your Mustang is on a train headed towards Chicago,where it will be picked up by a truck and brought here. I don't have an exact ETA, but we're guessing within maybe 10 days it could be here...I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your patience.......The wait is almost over " I also got a message from Ford Customer Care saying, "Our records indicate that your 2011 Ford Mustang is in transit. There are a great number of variables that may affect production scheduling and delivery:" blah, blah, blah. They must be shipping them like crazy. Hopefully, we will all have them soon.

Red Candy 2011 GT Premium, 6sp, 3.73 gears.
Old 6/16/10, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PTRocks
That must be a logistical nightmare. Surely by the time you've pulled a shell other parts of the same car are in process at other parts of the line. Do they have to be pulled too in order to keep the builds properly sequenced?
Not too much of a nightmare; but to keep it simplest:

Certain points in the line are a "call ahead" point, if you will. In our plant, an underbody structure (floor, firewall) with "x" rotation number (intended for a specific VIN) is built on a dimensionally set skid with an RFID tag attached. It goes from robot station to station; the RFID tag is read and tells the robot what vehicle it is (in our case and Edge/MkX, Flex or MkT) and calls that specific program (each model uses a different one). It doesn't matter what order it arrives at the station; it can be Edge, Edge, Edge, Flex, Edge, MkT, Flex -- it doesn't matter. The blend is set at a specific ratio but that can change if, say, we sell a boatload of Flexes in a specific month. (and this kind of addresses "Corvettedreamin's" mention of running a batch of verts or coupes at one time. They can, and sometimes they do, but they don't have to. They can vary the order of build based on order mix, stock on hand, worker jobload, etc. That's what makes a plant a "flex plant.)

When the underbody is complete on its line and the tag is read, the computer calls ahead to "2" bodyside lines (left side and right side) where the whole side assemblies are constructed, in order; this a "commit point", because the left and right sides have to arrive at the same point (just before the framing buck**). In forethought, we have spare "failsafe" bodysides (on storage hooks) at certain points in the bodyside line -- these failsafes are not commited to a specific rotation number. If a weld inspector pulls a part for inpection; the robot pulls the part out and puts it onto an inspection cart, then picks up the failsafe and puts it back into the system to replace it. Then a new failsafe is ordered in the system and when it gets to that station it gets put back on the failsafe storage hook.

If the system works right (and it usually does), the bodysides and underbody arrive at a marriage station where they are held in location (dimensionally), roof supports are added, and the whole thing is tacked together. **This is the point at which the car is considered "bucked". After this point, if a shell is pulled out, a whole new shell is ordered right from the start in underbody (the whole process starts over). But it's not that big of a delay (it gets pushed back maybe 4 hours), and all that really happens is that your VIN gets reassigned to a new skid. After the bucking point, the body shell carries on where many more parts and welds are added as well as the features like doors and fenders, etc.

The call ahead process repeats itself at many points in the system. The "Just in Time" means of doing business now; when the car reaches a certain point, seats are ordered from up the street, pre-assembled dash panels, engines, etc are all ordered to arrive in order at their marriage station.

The downside to the "Just in Time" system is that we carry very few "spares". So when things do go wrong, they can really gum things up. Last year, we had to shut down production in a few of our facilities because a plant in India which makes a part for the transmissions found in a number of our vehicles shut down from a week or two of labour unrest (and they were non-Union btw). That's how time-critical things are in a modern auto plant. Something like a box of unique fasteners not arriving on time can shut us down, strange enough. If a plastic injection machine at a parts supplier goes kaput, it doesn't take long for the plant to run out of parts (ie think maybe A-Pillars). According to the system doctrine, we should never be warehousing more than a day's stock, and (I think) 6-12 hours seems to be the target. That's the way most business operates now, not just at Ford but all over.
Old 6/17/10, 05:50 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky

Certain points in the line are a "call ahead" point, if you will. In our plant, an underbody structure (floor, firewall) with "x" rotation number (intended for a specific VIN) is built on a dimensionally set skid with an RFID tag attached. It goes from robot station to station; the RFID tag is read and tells the robot what vehicle it is (in our case and Edge/MkX, Flex or MkT) and calls that specific program (each model uses a different one). It doesn't matter what order it arrives at the station; it can be Edge, Edge, Edge, Flex, Edge, MkT, Flex -- it doesn't matter. The blend is set at a specific ratio but that can change if, say, we sell a boatload of Flexes in a specific month. (and this kind of addresses "Corvettedreamin's" mention of running a batch of verts or coupes at one time. They can, and sometimes they do, but they don't have to. They can vary the order of build based on order mix, stock on hand, worker jobload, etc. That's what makes a plant a "flex plant.)

When the underbody is complete on its line and the tag is read, the computer calls ahead to "2" bodyside lines (left side and right side) where the whole side assemblies are constructed, in order; this a "commit point", because the left and right sides have to arrive at the same point (just before the framing buck**). In forethought, we have spare "failsafe" bodysides (on storage hooks) at certain points in the bodyside line -- these failsafes are not commited to a specific rotation number. If a weld inspector pulls a part for inpection; the robot pulls the part out and puts it onto an inspection cart, then picks up the failsafe and puts it back into the system to replace it. Then a new failsafe is ordered in the system and when it gets to that station it gets put back on the failsafe storage hook.

If the system works right (and it usually does), the bodysides and underbody arrive at a marriage station where they are held in location (dimensionally), roof supports are added, and the whole thing is tacked together. **This is the point at which the car is considered "bucked". After this point, if a shell is pulled out, a whole new shell is ordered right from the start in underbody (the whole process starts over). But it's not that big of a delay (it gets pushed back maybe 4 hours), and all that really happens is that your VIN gets reassigned to a new skid. After the bucking point, the body shell carries on where many more parts and welds are added as well as the features like doors and fenders, etc.

The call ahead process repeats itself at many points in the system. The "Just in Time" means of doing business now; when the car reaches a certain point, seats are ordered from up the street, pre-assembled dash panels, engines, etc are all ordered to arrive in order at their marriage station.

The downside to the "Just in Time" system is that we carry very few "spares". So when things do go wrong, they can really gum things up. Last year, we had to shut down production in a few of our facilities because a plant in India which makes a part for the transmissions found in a number of our vehicles shut down from a week or two of labour unrest (and they were non-Union btw). That's how time-critical things are in a modern auto plant. Something like a box of unique fasteners not arriving on time can shut us down, strange enough. If a plastic injection machine at a parts supplier goes kaput, it doesn't take long for the plant to run out of parts (ie think maybe A-Pillars). According to the system doctrine, we should never be warehousing more than a day's stock, and (I think) 6-12 hours seems to be the target. That's the way most business operates now, not just at Ford but all over.
Sweet! Thanks for the explanation. So if I understand you correctly, there is a place where you can pull the whole body shell, which is ahead of the "call ahead" point that would activate production for that VIN at other points in the line.
Old 6/17/10, 06:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's what makes a plant a "flex plant.
Working at Oakville, you really ARE a FLEX plant (rimshot)

Thank you, thank you...I'll be here all week.
Old 6/17/10, 06:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Another great post from Sparky -- thanks for taking the time!
Old 6/17/10, 10:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2011fiveOH
I'm new to this forum guys so if I have posted improperly, I apologize. My original ETA was 5/29. It got moved to 5/30 (?). Then, the ETA was gone and my dealer said June or July. I heard from my dealer today and here is what the message said, "Hey Dave, great news ! As of yesterday,your Mustang is on a train headed towards Chicago,where it will be picked up by a truck and brought here. I don't have an exact ETA, but we're guessing within maybe 10 days it could be here...I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your patience.......The wait is almost over " I also got a message from Ford Customer Care saying, "Our records indicate that your 2011 Ford Mustang is in transit. There are a great number of variables that may affect production scheduling and delivery:" blah, blah, blah. They must be shipping them like crazy. Hopefully, we will all have them soon.

Red Candy 2011 GT Premium, 6sp, 3.73 gears.
Hopefully the Ford gods have placed my car on the same train. What dealer in Chicago? I bought up at Highland Park Ford.
Old 6/17/10, 12:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the explanation. This definitely gives a window into what happens in a flexible manufacturing facility, as well as the implications of when things don't work according to schedule.

It also demonstrates how much work there is to continue to drive cost out of the system in order to keep prices reasonable and ensure a profit at volume.

Well done!
Old 6/17/10, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

If your car is on a rail, this story might cause heart failure. Watch at own risk.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-trai...,5069399.story
Old 6/17/10, 01:39 PM

They are shipping! My dealer just called to say my 5.0 was loaded on a rail car yesterday. It's almost three weeks on the train to Calgary, but at least I know it's on the way. Ford must really be trying to ship all the sold cars, so many of you seem to be sharing your good news here in the last couple of days. Finally!!! (I'm not going to say it took long enough).
Old 6/17/10, 02:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey
If your car is on a rail, this story might cause heart failure. Watch at own risk.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-trai...,5069399.story
Um. . . ouch?
Old 6/17/10, 06:09 PM
Banned

The good news is that i didn't spot one car hauler in the pile...
Old 6/17/10, 06:14 PM
GT Member

What exactly does it mean if my window sticker reads method of transport is "convoy"?
Old 6/17/10, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mean it's delivered on a truck....to the rail yard where it will go by train.
Old 6/17/10, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Maxhenry
What exactly does it mean if my window sticker reads method of transport is "convoy"?
Nothing. It's generic. Usually means taken by convoy to the final location as far as I can tell. Mine says convoy and it just left the railcar today... I hope. (After spending 55 days alone, lost, abandoned... in Ramp 51).

Last edited by HokieCodeMonkey; 6/17/10 at 06:21 PM.
Old 6/17/10, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey
Nothing. It's generic. Usually means taken by convoy to the final location as far as I can tell. Mine says convoy and it just left the railcar today (After spending 55 days alone, lost, abandoned... in Ramp 51).
Wait, you confirmed this? Or are you going by CorvetteDreamin's status?
Old 6/17/10, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
Wait, you confirmed this? Or are you going by CorvetteDreamin's status?
I have my fingers crossed.
Old 6/17/10, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Great info. Thanks for sharing
Old 6/18/10, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

well i waited for the phone to ring all da yesterday ( Thur. ) placed several calls to the sales manager.. NONE OF THEM returned. when he PROMISED to call and track the vehicle.. i'm not taking this lightly. if you make a promise to do something you should follow through.. man i cant wait to get that survey..

Quick Reply: Latest reason for the hold on GT's/Rumours on the Holds/Update on the Holds/Holds