Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fireball1
Thank you so much for that.
I totally missed it when it aired.
Old 12/11/09, 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not saying I want a crappy interior, I am saying that I don't want to pay for all of these luxury items that in my opinion are not necessary on a Mustang. If they want to make them options, that is fine, but don't make them standard which is what you seem to be campaigning for. That raises the price of the base model, and puts it out of reach of many, many loyal Mustang fans.

The biggest reason we have had a Mustang for 40+ years is great performance value for the money....not heated seats and $2,000 navigation systems that tell me how to get from my house to my work each day.
Old 12/11/09, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would hardly call the base 2010 interior "junk."
Old 12/11/09, 07:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by zzcoop
I would hardly call the base 2010 interior "junk."
I sat in both. Base sucked IMO.
Old 12/11/09, 08:19 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by theedge67

The biggest reason we have had a Mustang for 40+ years is great performance value for the money....not heated seats and $2,000 navigation systems that tell me how to get from my house to my work each day.
The 2010 Electronics Package is much more than just "Nav". People don't seem to get that. It's awesome. The entire climate control system, radio, jukebox, cd player, phone, weather, sports scores, movie listings, traffic, road conditions, EVERYTHING is integrated. You aren't paying $2000 for just "nav".

Last edited by eci; 12/11/09 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12/11/09, 08:21 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Agree.
Old 12/11/09, 08:46 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
I'm not saying I want a crappy interior, I am saying that I don't want to pay for all of these luxury items that in my opinion are not necessary on a Mustang. If they want to make them options, that is fine, but don't make them standard which is what you seem to be campaigning for. That raises the price of the base model, and puts it out of reach of many, many loyal Mustang fans.

I agree. But then again, I drive a Fox body. Luxury? Refinement? What's that?
Old 12/11/09, 08:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam2004
Originally Posted by eci
Agree.
Kids today.
Old 12/12/09, 08:07 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
I agree. But then again, I drive a Fox body. Luxury? Refinement? What's that?
Well back in the day, it wasn't that bad, especially compared to the GM stuff of the same time. Just about every GM car I've riddien in an driven from the 80's to some point in the 90's would develop droppy headliner syndrome. Whatever GM used to bond the fabric to the liner would seperate and the **** head liner would hang about four or five inches down. .

Now if you wanna get really archaic, try a 60's something pickup with bias-ply tires composed mostly of nylon,
Old 12/12/09, 09:12 AM
GTR Member

eci's right, the new Nav/electronics package is a big step up from the base or mid-level option equipment.

Personally, I don't think a 'base' equipped GT is a stripped down car, not by today's standards. If you want a little more substance, step up to the GT premium for $400, then don't get any other options. If anything, we should all be fortunate that we've got the ability to get everything we could ever want and more on the car and all find something we like on it. Sure, it doesn't have manual windows, but those things are all but extinct, mainly for cost cutting measures.
Old 12/12/09, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Well back in the day, it wasn't that bad, especially compared to the GM stuff of the same time. Just about every GM car I've riddien in an driven from the 80's to some point in the 90's would develop droppy headliner syndrome. Whatever GM used to bond the fabric to the liner would seperate and the **** head liner would hang about four or five inches down. .

Now if you wanna get really archaic, try a 60's something pickup with bias-ply tires composed mostly of nylon,
I owed three goverment motors cars from that time period and the head liners fell out of all of them. I remember bias ply tires too and barely having enough money to get re caps.
Old 12/12/09, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bob

I had a 1985 Dodge Lancer Turbo and it had this same Droppy Headliner. Embarrassing...
Old 12/15/09, 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eci
GT = grand touring.

So you think I should put base V6 seats in my GT500? They are lighter. I could also swap my alcantera steering wheel for the base V6 wheel, hell and also toss the Electronics Package, how useless.
Sounds like someone is having a hard time understanding that different people want different things from their Mustang.

Ironically, that is the biggest advantage Ford has with the Mustang -- you can configure it is so many different ways, and choose from a long list of options to make just the car you are looking for.

Just want a cheap, fast V8? No problem.
Want a grand touring car with all the bells and whistles? No problem.
Didn't get exactly what you wanted from Ford? No problem, visit the aftermarket and build it exactly the way you want to.
Old 12/15/09, 11:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by eci
The 2010 Electronics Package is much more than just "Nav". People don't seem to get that. It's awesome. The entire climate control system, radio, jukebox, cd player, phone, weather, sports scores, movie listings, traffic, road conditions, EVERYTHING is integrated. You aren't paying $2000 for just "nav".
That's the thing tho- Originally I had selected the electronics package as an option and was dead set on having it. Then I learned Sync offers... Sports, directions (which are awesome and right on btw. As opposed to the navigation (elec. pack.) which uses SIRIUS Travel Link), traffic, road conditions, movie listings, business search, phone, weather, news, this and that... etc... etc... and the cost for all of that was $0.

So then I thought, hmm... I can live without a digital climate readout for $2,195. So instead opted for the shaker 1000.

Worked out well!
Old 12/15/09, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Personally, I don't think a 'base' equipped GT is a stripped down car, not by today's standards. If you want a little more substance, step up to the GT premium for $400, then don't get any other options. If anything, we should all be fortunate that we've got the ability to get everything we could ever want and more on the car and all find something we like on it. Sure, it doesn't have manual windows, but those things are all but extinct, mainly for cost cutting measures.
I agree for the most part. I was happy with everything on my minimally optioned '08 GT except for the cheap plastic steering wheel, and that was easily upgraded by installing a Bullitt wheel for $250-300. Mine was a premium package car with no options except spoiler delete and 3.55 gears, and the standard GT interior for 2010 is even nicer than my '08.

If/when I order a 2011 or 2012 5.0 GT it will likely have the Track Package and very few, if any, other options. I definitely prefer minimally optioned cars, and given the choice order or buy them that way.
Old 12/15/09, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fireball1
No but last night Alan Mulally was in the same room with Jim Cramer on the set of Mad Money. When Jim Cramer asked what is so special about Ford products, Mulally mentioned a "dynamite Mustang" among other new offerings (Fiesta, Taurus, etc.) Does Mulally know something we don't know?

Regarding the upcoming V8 5.0 engine: Lexus uses a V8 5.0 engine in the ISF and it produces 416 hp and 371 tq with direct injection and variable valve timing on the intake side. It will be interesting to see if Ford can match this engine output without using direct injection.
He better, otherwise I would be worried... If Ford can't keep the CEO informed about one of its star products, how could they manage to do a decent job on the car itself...

Only 1 month until Detroit.
Old 12/15/09, 05:56 PM
GTR Member

I got the chance to talk to someone 'in the know' in town today, and I will have more info after Thursday to spill. I've been told that 430 is the magic number.
Old 12/15/09, 06:11 PM
eci
Banned

I got the chance to talk to someone 'in the know' in town today, and I will have more info after Thursday to spill. I've been told that 430 is the magic number.
Lets ASSume 6800 is peak HP, 430 HP would = 332 Torque at that RPM.
Old 12/15/09, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
Lets ASSume 6800 is peak HP, 430 HP would = 332 Torque at that RPM.
I think I'd rather have lower peak hp and higher torque than a motor you have to rev this snot out of. Isn't that point of a V8? Low end grunt? I'd rather have more "usable" power down low.

It would be great in a Boss, but for the GT I'd prefer more power in the bottom of the rev range. I know this is all just speculation and guessing, and there is more to it than that, but generally speaking, I'd sacrifice a bit of peak power for some better torque.
Old 12/15/09, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bwahahaha!!! It would be so cool if I guessed it right!

Quick Reply: C&D: Over 400 HP