Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembos vs non

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/11, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99mstng
I find that I almost prefer the look of my brembo wheels with a little brake dust . . . kinda weird but I guess that's me wishing the rims didn't have so much gloss to them and were just a slight tint more black.

As for how long the rotors/pads hold up, at leat 1,300 miles! (so far)
I've got over 14300 on my brembos and they are still working great
Old 8/3/11, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hahnsolo78
I've got over 14300 on my brembos and they are still working great
Do you have or did you ever have a squeel/squeek during low speed stops? I find I can hear it sometimes in like a parking garage with my windows down but can't hear it when the windows are up. My thought is maybe it's just the brake compond/components. Either way not a big deal just wondering what others have experienced . . .
Old 8/3/11, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you have or did you ever have a squeel/squeek during low speed stops? I find I can hear it sometimes in like a parking garage with my windows down but can't hear it when the windows are up. My thought is maybe it's just the brake compond/components. Either way not a big deal just wondering what others have experienced . . .
I have heard a spueek once or twice but nothing I concern myself with, the brakes work great and the rotors still look flawless
Old 8/3/11, 03:45 PM

I have 16,500 daily driver (no track) miles on my Brembo package, and the rotors look pristine. Haven't measured thickness of the pads.

My brakes squeal frequently at low speeds. When I was a teenager 20 years ago, I drove my uncle's Porsche 928. I came home and reported to him the brakes were messed up because they were squealing. He replied, "Boy---in Germany, they don't care if the brakes squeal as long as they stop the car. In America, they don't care if brakes stop the car as long as they don't squeal." As such, the squealing makes me think of high performance brakes.
Old 8/3/11, 03:58 PM
V6 Member

I find that I almost prefer the look of my brembo wheels with a little brake dust . . . kinda weird but I guess that's me wishing the rims didn't have so much gloss to them and were just a slight tint more black.

As for how long the rotors/pads hold up, at leat 1,300 miles! (so far)
+1 on liking how the wheels look with brake dust. I'm actually thinking about getting mine darkened.
Old 8/4/11, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jrs817
+1 on liking how the wheels look with brake dust. I'm actually thinking about getting mine darkened.
as in painting? If that's the case you may be better of just buying the track pack wheels . . . same design for about what you would spend to have powder coated then you could sell the OEM brembo's if you wanted.

I plan on getting some RTR's or something similar maybe next year.
Old 8/4/11, 09:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs817
Revlon or Mary Kay should market a line of brake pads that leave dust in designer colors.
Old 8/4/11, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Revlon or Mary Kay should market a line of brake pads that leave dust in designer colors.
HAHAHA . . . kinda like the tires that smoke different colors
Old 8/7/11, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

HAHAHA . . . kinda like the tires that smoke different colors
I had a set of those, they are good fun but very tacky at the same time
Old 8/17/11, 09:51 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, now I'm confused. I looked at 2012's at a dealer yesterday, trying to get to the bottom of what is different b'twn Brembo and non-Brembo cars.

There were two 5.0 GT's side by side, both automatics (not my choice), coupes, and simlilarly equipped. One had the 19" premium nickel wheels, the other the stock 18's. The one with the 19" wheels had the GT strut tower brace, the other did not.

I looked under the rear at the sway bar and LCA's. They looked the same.

Then I looked at a Brembo convertible. The sway bar and LCA's looked identical to the other non-brembo cars. (Now that I think about it, the vert may have been a 2011.)

The salesman at this dealer, as well as two others have said that (to their knowledge) the BBP is just brakes/wheels/tires. Nothing else. Can't say that I believe them. . . .

And, $995 is alot to pay for just the 19" wheels. Maybe some other suspension tweaks are included ??

Anyone know ?
Old 8/17/11, 10:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
$995 for the 19" wheels (non-Brembo, of course) gets you the wheels, tires, and strut tower brace. That's a lot of goodies for $995.
Old 8/17/11, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tetstang
Okay, now I'm confused. I looked at 2012's at a dealer yesterday, trying to get to the bottom of what is different b'twn Brembo and non-Brembo cars.

There were two 5.0 GT's side by side, both automatics (not my choice), coupes, and simlilarly equipped. One had the 19" premium nickel wheels, the other the stock 18's. The one with the 19" wheels had the GT strut tower brace, the other did not.

Then I looked at a Brembo convertible. The sway bar and LCA's looked identical to the other non-brembo cars. (Now that I think about it, the vert may have been a 2011.)

The salesman at this dealer, as well as two others have said that (to their knowledge) the BBP is just brakes/wheels/tires. Nothing else. Can't say that I believe them. . . .

And, $995 is alot to pay for just the 19" wheels. Maybe some other suspension tweaks are included ??

Anyone know ?
The brembo package also includes revamped ESC tuning.

I believe under close scrutiny it was also discovered that the springs are different part #s, although I don't think anyone's mentioned a large difference in ride/handling between the springs.
Old 8/17/11, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tetstang

Anyone know ?
In my opinion, both the 19" wheels and the The Brembo Brake Package are worth the money. In addition to improving the look of the car dramatically, both include the front strut tower brace and bigger and wider wheels and tires (8.5" wide wheels with the regular 19s and 9" wide wheels with the Brembo Brake Package wheels).

The Brembo Brake Package is an even better deal, because in addition to the brakes, it improves the suspension a bit, gives you wider wheels and sticky summer tires. I only wish Ford had charged $1995 for it and added rear Brembos too.
Old 8/17/11, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by justindo
I only wish Ford had charged $1995 for it and added rear Brembos too.
From what I hear, it is because of the solid axle. It makes it difficult to put a fixed rotor on a fixed axle. A floating rotor is much less expensive, and in all honesty, a dual piston caliper is not needed.
Old 8/17/11, 06:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
From what I hear, it is because of the solid axle. It makes it difficult to put a fixed rotor on a fixed axle. A floating rotor is much less expensive, and in all honesty, a dual piston caliper is not needed.
That sounds like a plausible explanation and perhaps one major reason why Ford didn't opt for the Brembo rears. Both the Challenger and Camaro have rear Brembos, but they also have independent rear suspension.

I realize that the front brakes do most of the work, but having the nice, big 14" front Brembos contrast with the tiny 11.8" rears, especially with the 19" Brembo Brake Package wheels, which seem to have a thinner rim compared to the 19" luster nickels, looks incongruous, to say the least.

Last edited by justindo; 8/17/11 at 06:16 PM.
Old 8/19/11, 01:37 PM

Brembo brakes if you want to use your car for racing.vut for daily driver its not practical.
Old 8/19/11, 11:03 PM

wow. they should rename this thread the brake package speculation and conjecture thread.
Old 8/19/11, 11:25 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 627 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by hingedthinker
wow. they should rename this thread the brake package speculation and conjecture thread.
Care to speculate on that theory?
Old 8/19/11, 11:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 300AGT
5.0 mag didn't get the rear sway bar size right on a 2011 GT with brembos .Its 24mm there a tag on the bar that says 24mm and my mic. says it 24 mm . Who know what else they didn't get right in that piece.
FWIW, in my quest to decide whether to buy a BBP car, or not, here's what I've found out: (2012 MY)

- not one single dealer, salesperson, or other "informed" dealer personel say that there's anything to the BBP other than the brakes/tires/wheel and electronic tuning. All state that there are no suspension part tweaks/upgrades.
- I had a parts guys run part#'s for the rear lower control arm. Turns out there are three: One for the Auto and Convertible (V6 and 5.0), a second for the GT 5.0 coupe manual trans, Shelby, and V6 performance pack, and a third for the Boss. The BBP and non-BBP cars get the same treatment.
- I looked at the rear LCA's for a GT base, a GT premium with 19" premium wheels, a GT premium BBP car, and two Shelbys (all manuals, coupes). The BBP car and the Shelbys were silver (painted, -- there were magnetic), and the others were black. Can't explain this, as they are all supposed to be the same part number.
- Cars with 19" wheels, BBP or not, come with the strut tower brace. That explains why it's on BBP cars (whereas, I thought it was a suspension "tune" part with the BBP pack - not). Shelbys don't have the brace.
- I did some research of my own on two GT 5.0 manual coupe VIN's, one BBP and one not, and indeed, there don't seem to be differences in physical suspension parts.
- The rear sway bars on the cars listed above are all the same part, and 24 mm in diameter. They had part tags hanging from them and I mic'd the diameter.

Conclusion, right or wrong: Brembo is a brake/wheel/tire package. The "suspension tuning" referring to on the Ford build and price site must be limited to electronic (ESC and maybe the EPS too ?)

I test drove a base GT 5.0 (18" wheels) and a Base GT BBP car back to back, both manual coupes. Granted, these were 20 min drives, but enough to detect differences. Any benefit from the Brembo brakes is irrelevent in a test drive. Both cars handled very well. The BBP car transferred more road conditions to the driver, and a bit more noise too. I'd expect that from the 40 series tires. I'd say the shock response was the same (and the cars should have the same shocks/struts..according to my info..) Under test drive conditions, I couldn't push either car to limits. And, I suspect, the BBP car would do better at the limits, with the wider wheels and tires, and .... tuning (ESC).

So, for a daily driver, I'd agree with others, the BBP is just extra $$$, unless of course, you can't live without the wheels.

Hope this helps anyone out there.

TS
Old 8/20/11, 04:51 AM
Bullitt Member

As an owner of a BBP equipped car w/3.73 I can emphatically state, this is not a long road trip car - much more than 400 miles will leave one's kidneys like jell-o... That said, I like the look of the wheels and calipers over the stockers.

Quick Reply: Brembos vs non