Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembos vs non

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/11, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I have an '11 Brembo GT, but it's not a Premium model - just the base - and I do NOT have the Sport Mode for AdvanceTrac.

AdvanceTrac Sport Mode (if equipped)
The AdvanceTrac system provides an available sport mode on some
models. This can be selected utilizing the stability off button as shown in
the table above.
Sport mode is not intended for use on public roadways as this mode
provides less AdvanceTrac system intervention than when the default
ESC and traction control systems are on. Sport mode will allow more
spirited driving while the AdvanceTrac system is still enabled.

The owners manual does say "If Equipped". It's strange that a Brembo car doesn't have Sport Mode.

Last edited by TheReaper; 6/29/11 at 01:36 PM.
Old 6/29/11, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking at replacing my GTO with a 5.0. Considering Kona Blue, 6spd, 3.73stripper.

I am not a road circuit racer. It would be daily street driven with a trip to the drag strip now and then.

I have not yet priced 19" tires vs. 18" I currently live with 17" and find prices are reasonable for performance tires.

Can I install wider tires with the 19" vs the 18"? I mean as in 275/285 or so?

How much rwhp do the heavier 19" versions dyno compared to the 18"equipped versions?

Is there a detailed list of what the BPP includes other than the brakes?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Felix C; 6/29/11 at 01:48 PM.
Old 6/29/11, 04:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Felix C

http://tinyurl.com/3nbqus8
Old 6/29/11, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
AdvanceTrac Sport Mode (if equipped)
The AdvanceTrac system provides an available sport mode on some
models. This can be selected utilizing the stability off button as shown in
the table above.
Sport mode is not intended for use on public roadways as this mode
provides less AdvanceTrac system intervention than when the default
ESC and traction control systems are on. Sport mode will allow more
spirited driving while the AdvanceTrac system is still enabled.

The owners manual does say "If Equipped". It's strange that a Brembo car doesn't have Sport Mode.
I'm intrigued aswell,...
All I can say is the message center gives me an Advance Trac (Sport mode) message when I double tap the the button while the brakes are applied.
Old 6/29/11, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Leads to threads which do not detail what is in the BPP.

You should have searched before trying to show off.

Last edited by Felix C; 6/29/11 at 05:40 PM.
Old 6/29/11, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

4 pages so Im not sure it was mentioned..

Order the car you want with the options you want..

I looked forever for a car I wanted with the options I wanted, but NO one had one. Either didnt have an option I wanted or had to many.. ie "Accessory Package X", Reverse Sensing, etc.

I walked into a dealer said I want this color Car with X options, left a deposit and waited.
Old 7/1/11, 09:01 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brembo test drive today

I test drove a 2012 GT premium 5.0 with the Brembo package today. Have to say, it rode better than I expected, for those 40 series tires. It did handle nice, of course. I have nothing bad to say about it - just wondering why I would need it (I don't expect to track the car), and suffer the added cost of the brakes and new tires in the future. I mean, "summer only" rubber .... . . . and no spare of any kind.

Also, the salesman said that the package does not ( that's NOT) include any changes to the suspension from the regular GT. I happen to think he is wrong ( one clue .... the rear lower control arms are silver vs. black ).

I also looked at a GT with the 19" premium nickel wheels and they wear 245/45 rubber, which doesn't dress out the wheel well as nice as the Brembos. But I like the 5-spoke design.

So. . . are there aftermarket wheels that will clear the Brembos, that could wear 45 series rubber ?? I always loved American Racing 5-spokers.

TS

Next test drive is a non-brembo car - to feel any difference.
Old 7/1/11, 09:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
You bought a V6 car... but did you drive both versions of the GT?

I drove a base car initially and loved it, drove a BBP car and just about creamed my jeans. The suspension revisions and upgraded rubber make a noticable difference in the feel of the car.

The technical benefits may be "minimizable" as you state above but to those of us who prefer a more sporty driving car, the BBP makes a worthwhile difference.

Let's be honest here: this package costs less than the glass roof. It's not like you're throwing your money away on a huge option package. $1700 well spent, IMO.
yep it feels different because it is..

if you drive on just the street, price replacement tires before you choose..

those who need the brakes will upgrade the suspension. so wasted money, wheels that require huge money for daily driver tires wasted money..

i think the honest upgrade for someone like me who does track.. would be upgrade the stock pads and rotors and see how it does on the track with good tires. then if they dont cut it, add just the calipers and rotors for about 1k..

btw, the tuning is different for the dsc with the brembo package, allows more yaw before intruding. the shocks springs and sways are different. the first thing to upgrade on any level mustang would be the shocks.

beers

Last edited by Swoope; 7/1/11 at 09:48 PM.
Old 7/2/11, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by tetstang
Looks like I'm the oddball. The wheels are not my favorite, and the cost of tires a real drag. I doubt I'll ever track the car, so the brakes I don't need. I'm mostly curious about the "suspension tuning", what if any benefits there are. I've noticed the silver lower control arms on cars on the lot, but don't know what that offers me, except cool undercarriage appeal.

My driving will be spirited country and mountain roads, interstate (500 mi a day), spirited freeway on ramps and around town jaunts.

I'm on the verge of ordering. I'd rather have cloth seats, Shaker Audio, comfort pack, and dual zone A/C. You can see how confused I am . . .
Oh, and I never met a factory stock shock I liked.

Any hints on what Mustang matches me the best ??
Sadly, none, lol. You can't get cloth seats and shaker/comfort/dual zone a/c as those are all 'premium' package options not offered with the cloth seats. If you like the Brembo wheels, I'd spring for it - no the shocks aren't amazing, but amazing shocks aren't necessary for 500 mi commutes... The 'suspension tuning' was detailed in this thread already, and you wouldn't be driving at the limits in your driving by the sound of it. If forced into leather, definitely pick up the 401A package, upgrades the interior a good bit over the standard leather. Also, dual zone A/C only comes with the 'electronics' (navigation) package at $2300. Go to ford's website and attempt to build one - it will give you all the necessary inclusions and exclusions.
Old 7/2/11, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Black Fire
I think your talking about the Electronic assisted Steering mode.

It was my understanding that all BBP equipped cars (Base or Premium) have the ESC Sport mode. I have a base GT (300A) with BBP and 3.73's and mine works.
2011 - 'Sport' mode offered in Brembo and Premium GTs (not sure about non-premium Brembo)
2012 - 'Sport' mode offered on all GT's regardless of package. 'Comfort' mode added, but it sounds like everyone HATES it.
Old 7/2/11, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Felix C
I am looking at replacing my GTO with a 5.0. Considering Kona Blue, 6spd, 3.73stripper.

I am not a road circuit racer. It would be daily street driven with a trip to the drag strip now and then.

I have not yet priced 19" tires vs. 18" I currently live with 17" and find prices are reasonable for performance tires.

Can I install wider tires with the 19" vs the 18"? I mean as in 275/285 or so?

How much rwhp do the heavier 19" versions dyno compared to the 18"equipped versions?

Thanks in advance.
The price diff in tires is a tad overblown - they mostly reference replacing the P-Zero's offered on the car verbatim. There are many lower-cost, higher-mileage alternatives w/ 90% of the grip. 90% comes from my ***, but it's close. You can install wider tires on the Brembo package as they are 9" across and there are people on these threads installing 275 width tires with nary an issue. The stockers and the 19" Nickels are 8.5 I believe and the maximum width there would be around 255. The Brembo package has been detailed pretty well here, but it's not the end-all of suspension packages by any means. If you want wider tires, there's replica wheel sets on American Muscle with 10"+ rears on the cheap. Or you could be a total badass like Digital_Synapse and buy some Forgestar F14's. Although if you wanna talk EXPENSIVE tires go shop a 315 width performance summer tire . Also, why would there be a RWHP difference between tires . Only a difference in how much of that RWHP applies to the road - this will not be reflected on the dyno. Ever see a supersnake slam the gas? 700+ HP is furious but it'd be faster if the trunk were loaded with bricks.
Old 7/2/11, 10:11 PM

I test drove a 2012 GT premium 5.0 with the Brembo package today. Have to say, it rode better than I expected, for those 40 series tires. It did handle nice, of course. I have nothing bad to say about it - just wondering why I would need it (I don't expect to track the car), and suffer the added cost of the brakes and new tires in the future. I mean, "summer only" rubber .... . . . and no spare of any kind.

Also, the salesman said that the package does not ( that's NOT) include any changes to the suspension from the regular GT. I happen to think he is wrong ( one clue .... the rear lower control arms are silver vs. black ).

I also looked at a GT with the 19" premium nickel wheels and they wear 245/45 rubber, which doesn't dress out the wheel well as nice as the Brembos. But I like the 5-spoke design.

So. . . are there aftermarket wheels that will clear the Brembos, that could wear 45 series rubber ?? I always loved American Racing 5-spokers.

TS

The brembo's could wear 45 series rubber - it would only make the tire taller, and not by much. Some folks on here have replaced the Pirelli's with 275/45 on the Brembo package. I think it looks like a truck, but to each their own. 18" GT500 wheels, several AM replicas, and lots of 19" wheels mentioned through any thread you find when you search 'Brembo' in the title will fit the Brembrakes. Many folks complain of the Brembo GT's wheelgap problems, and it's definitely there. These same folks often opt for a 1" drop (shocks and the works or just the springs, but that's another well-conversed issue) to correct it. Really looks sharp.
Old 7/3/11, 01:55 AM
GT Member

Keyser,

Nice info. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

TS
Old 7/3/11, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

TS

Yes there are wheel options. I spent a couple of months, ok since January trying to decide, got all the opinions of my car crazy students and went back to my first choice. On brembo save the money get other options you will enjoy on your daily drives be it to work or wherever. I go round and round and the right decisions and the right things happen as they should, so get navigation or glass roof and enjoy, and in the end if you want brembo get them, plenty of vendors sell them, more than you would pay from the factory but it is an option. I know someone will say "but what about the other suspension components with brembo" well with a mustang you will end up modding anyway just take a look on eBay and se guys selling their brembo package suspension bits. Now don't get me wrong those calipers look sweet, the ones I had on my cobra looked sweet too...
Old 7/4/11, 09:59 AM
GT Member

[QUOTE=Freakazoid;6097293]it's completely dependent on what YOU want. I was fine without it on my 5.0.

Pluses:
Upgraded wheels/tires (although still not what I'd ultimately want)
Upgraded suspension
Upgraded brakes

Negatives:
More expensive tires
Non all season tires
More expensive brakes

QUOTE]

I've been all over this forum and others, as have other members, trying to find an accurate comprehensive list of what is included in the '11-'12 Brembo package. Brakes, wheels tires are obvious. "Upgraded Suspension", etc., is vague, and there seems to be many opinions on what that includes. Springs? Struts? LCA'? Stabilzer Bars? Strut Tower Brace? What else, or Not?

Please, would someone(s) in the know please post a comprehensive listing for the total package.

Many Thanks,
TS
Old 7/4/11, 10:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went with the Hankook tires and they were much cheaper than the Pirelli tires were in 19"
Old 7/5/11, 07:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
AM is offering a Brembo kit though the rotors are slotted (probably pointless) and the calipers have different paint, they're probably the same units... but you do get braided steel lines which is nice... and it's a scant $2200 plus your own labor.

Again, the $1700 BBP is a great bargain if you're even remotely interested in any of the upgrades.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/brembo...brake-kit.html
Old 7/5/11, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I went with the Hankook tires and they were much cheaper than the Pirelli tires were in 19"
Just got the v12s on the RTRs. Like them so far and price was right.
Old 7/5/11, 04:12 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I've only driven 3 mustangs my 84 20th anniversary, 01 GT, and a friends 07 GT. Are the 2012s pretty much the same handling and braking as what the 07 was? I've been on Fords website and started typing in every zip code within 6 or so hours away and I just can't find one exactly how I want it anywhere.
I haven't driven a new car but given what they have done, especially with the BBP option, the +10 plus cars are better handling.

The regular 05-09 GT's had the tools to be great handling cars but for whatever reason Ford choose to give them a very soft ride with benign handling.

If ever you get a chance to drive/ride in an SGT with summer tires, you'll see a big difference in handling. IMO the SGTs were the best handling cars out of the 05-09 cars, followed rather brutishly by the GT500s then the Bullitts.

Last edited by bob; 7/5/11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 7/5/11, 04:24 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Springs? Struts? LCA'? Stabilzer Bars? Strut Tower Brace? What else, or Not?

Please, would someone(s) in the know please post a comprehensive listing for the total package.
search for posts by a member named Groot if they are still around. Groot did some development work on the suspension as I recall.

Quick Reply: Brembos vs non