2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Brembos vs non

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/11, 06:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
AM is offering a Brembo kit though the rotors are slotted (probably pointless) and the calipers have different paint, they're probably the same units... but you do get braided steel lines which is nice... and it's a scant $2200 plus your own labor.

Again, the $1700 BBP is a great bargain if you're even remotely interested in any of the upgrades.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/brembo...brake-kit.html
this is closer to what you get with the brembos on the gt.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/svt-brakekit-0509gt.html

beers
Old 7/5/11, 06:39 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by bob

If ever you get a chance to drive/ride in an SGT with summer tires, you'll see a big difference in handling. IMO the SGTs were the best handling cars out of the 05-09 cars, followed rather brutishly by the GT500s then the Bullitts.
I have to fully agree with you there. When I went from a GT/CS to my SGT, the difference was amazing. Now the GT/CS did have a great ride for the type of car it was, but the handling difference and feel between it and the SGT was glaring. But to take the discussion a step further, as good as the SGT was, its not even in the same league as the SVTPP I have now.
Old 7/12/11, 09:50 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Keyser_Soze
The brembo's could wear 45 series rubber - it would only make the tire taller, and not by much. Some folks on here have replaced the Pirelli's with 275/45 on the Brembo package. I think it looks like a truck, but to each their own. 18" GT500 wheels, several AM replicas, and lots of 19" wheels mentioned through any thread you find when you search 'Brembo' in the title will fit the Brembrakes. Many folks complain of the Brembo GT's wheelgap problems, and it's definitely there. These same folks often opt for a 1" drop (shocks and the works or just the springs, but that's another well-conversed issue) to correct it. Really looks sharp.
Anybody wearing 18 x 9 Bullitt wheels with the Brembo brakes ? And, what tire? Any issues ? Pics ?!!
Old 7/12/11, 11:24 AM

The 18x9 Bullitts (or any Bullitts, if I recall) will not clear Brembos without wheel spacers.
Old 7/12/11, 12:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
I would have not bought a GT if it didn't have the Brembo and 3:73 options.

Brembo (copy/paste from file):
The Brembo Brake Package ($1,695) gets you 19-by-9.0 Dark Stainless wheels, Unique ESC tuning and a Brembo Brake Package. This includes 14" Brembo rotors with four-piston fixed calipers and 11.8" rotors with one piston caliper in back.

"Ford uses five different steering calibrations for the Mustang, depending on whether the car is a coupe or a convertible, V-6 or V8, or if it's a GT with the Brembo brake package."

GT coupe front is strut BR3Z-18124-B. (V6 with performance pack Job 2 uses the same strut). GT coupe front "with performance brakes" is strut BR3Z-18124

Springs are also different with the brake kit.
Old 7/13/11, 06:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nite
The 18x9 Bullitts (or any Bullitts, if I recall) will not clear Brembos without wheel spacers.
What spacers? mm?? Do you need to lengthen the lugs?
Old 7/13/11, 10:29 AM

Some good info in this thread...

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...18-wheels.html
Old 7/13/11, 01:16 PM
V6 Member

I agree with those that noted that the ones that do not endorse getting the BBP don't have it. I say go and test drive both and judge for yourself.

The only real issue I have with the BBP is the lack of a spare. I followed this, and

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ull-spare.html

was glad I did because I ran over some road debris and got a blowout on a major highway in 90+ degree heat. It would have been great waiting for Ford road assistance in those conditions. I had the tire changed and was back on the road in 15 minutes or less.
Old 7/13/11, 04:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
5.0 magazine did a huge Boss 302 report for the August issue and in the report was this little tidbit:

"In the end, the Boss 302 and Laguna Seca received the following suspension hardware:

SpringBar
FrontRearFrontRear Base GT21.5 27.33 34 20 Brake Pack23 29.2 35 22 Boss26 32.5 35 25 Laguna24 33.5 35 26
Spring rates are in Newtons per millimeter; sway-bar diameters are in millimeters. Front lower control arm bushings are common in all Mustangs; the Mustang GT uses a softer rear lower control arm bushing than all others

Read more: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...#ixzz1S1jGuWul"

Just a little more of the difference between the regular GT and the BBP.

Edit: crap, that didn't format correctly. The first two numbers are spring rates and the second two numbers are the sway bar size.

Last edited by Thomas S; 7/13/11 at 04:36 PM.
Old 7/28/11, 10:40 PM
GT Member

What I really want is the Brembo suspension and not the brakes and wheels. The brakes are okay, but excessive for me, and I don't like the wheels. Want anthracite Bullitt wheels 18x9.

I'm thinking of ordering a GT premium without Brembo. Is the Ford Racing suspension pack from American muscle similar, or more aggressive than the Brembo?

Best suggestions to get the setup I want ?? Maybe, order a Brembo car and change out the calipers?
Old 7/29/11, 06:25 AM
GT Member

5.0 mag didn't get the rear sway bar size right on a 2011 GT with brembos .Its 24mm there a tag on the bar that says 24mm and my mic. says it 24 mm . Who know what else they didn't get right in that piece.
Old 7/29/11, 07:02 AM

To be honest I regret both not getting a premium GT and not getting the Brembo package.

Only one problem - the shocks/struts on the Brembo package. They're awful. The ones in my regular GT are better, no joke. The brembo ones are setup very strangely and if you ever lower the car, they get really bouncy and most people immediately get some Koni yellow's or something. I lowered my GT and it rides very nice with the stock struts.
Old 7/29/11, 08:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by tetstang
What I really want is the Brembo suspension and not the brakes and wheels. The brakes are okay, but excessive for me, and I don't like the wheels. Want anthracite Bullitt wheels 18x9.

I'm thinking of ordering a GT premium without Brembo. Is the Ford Racing suspension pack from American muscle similar, or more aggressive than the Brembo?
I agree that the Brembo brakes are the part of the package that makes the least sense for many buyers.

It might be worth checking what the wheels/tires/brakes (whatever you don't want) are selling for as new take-offs. It's possible they may be worth more than what you will replace them with and maybe even more than the invoice cost for the package.
Old 7/29/11, 09:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FWP!
To be honest I regret both not getting a premium GT and not getting the Brembo package.

Only one problem - the shocks/struts on the Brembo package. They're awful. The ones in my regular GT are better, no joke. The brembo ones are setup very strangely and if you ever lower the car, they get really bouncy and most people immediately get some Koni yellow's or something. I lowered my GT and it rides very nice with the stock struts.
What was "awful" about the shock/strut setup? Ultimately, was it just a shock problem?
Old 7/29/11, 09:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I agree that the Brembo brakes are the part of the package that makes the least sense for many buyers.

It might be worth checking what the wheels/tires/brakes (whatever you don't want) are selling for as new take-offs. It's possible they may be worth more than what you will replace them with and maybe even more than the invoice cost for the package.
Thinking of doing just that - get a brembo car and take off the wheels/tires and calipers. Can I leave the brembo rotors and go back to stock GT calipers?
Old 7/29/11, 09:38 AM
GT Member

and, not that it is correct....but the American Muscle ad link at the top of the forum page shows a GT with what appears to be Brembos and Bullitt wheels. . . ..
Old 7/31/11, 06:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FWP!

No, the ones sin your regular GT are floaty and sloppy. I could never own a car that felt like that. The brembos suspension can be bouncy on rough road but I would never say the GTs standard suspension is better. Nice ride does not equal better.
Old 8/2/11, 09:16 AM
GT Member

Brembo brake wear

We've established that the OEM BBP tires wear quickly and are expensive. What about the brake pad wear and the rotors? Do they wear quickly? What's the cost to replace? Do the pads spread alot of brake dust on the wheels?
Old 8/2/11, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tetstang
We've established that the OEM BBP tires wear quickly and are expensive. What about the brake pad wear and the rotors? Do they wear quickly? What's the cost to replace? Do the pads spread alot of brake dust on the wheels?
MY wheels are blackish after on ride after cleaning and taking the brembos out for some ice cream very dusty dirty but thats the price of style LOL
Old 8/3/11, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I find that I almost prefer the look of my brembo wheels with a little brake dust . . . kinda weird but I guess that's me wishing the rims didn't have so much gloss to them and were just a slight tint more black.

As for how long the rotors/pads hold up, at leat 1,300 miles! (so far)

Quick Reply: Brembos vs non