Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembos vs non

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/11, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess the Brembo package makes sense, if you're a diehard 'all stock' person. The decision not to was a no-brainer for me cause AFAIC, all stock wheels are too skinny and all stock ride heights are way too tall and mushy. I drove both and there was a noticeable difference, but I couldn't justify the added cost for items that I'd replace almost immediately. If you plan on getting wider rubber and getting the ride height out of the stratosphere, adding a set of Brembos is just a formality, as new take-offs can be found for cheap, if you keep your eyes open.
Old 6/28/11, 10:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I want a grabber blue, black interior, 6 speed, 373, brembo car. I've only found 1 other blue one and it was about 6 or so hours away and it didn't have 373s. That is me googling the zip codes for major cities near where I live and punching them in on Fords website. Can you still order them?
I did the same thing you're doing now before I got my car. Then I went down to the local dealership and had them search for one. I got exactly what I wanted. Premium, BBP, 3.73s, Kona, etc. They can find cars that you won't see by looking online. Have the dealership find the car YOU want. Don't settle.
Old 6/28/11, 10:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
You bought a V6 car... but did you drive both versions of the GT?

I drove a base car initially and loved it, drove a BBP car and just about creamed my jeans. The suspension revisions and upgraded rubber make a noticable difference in the feel of the car.

The technical benefits may be "minimizable" as you state above but to those of us who prefer a more sporty driving car, the BBP makes a worthwhile difference.

Let's be honest here: this package costs less than the glass roof. It's not like you're throwing your money away on a huge option package. $1700 well spent, IMO.
I drove regular GTs, Brembo Gts, regular V6s and Performance Package V6s. The handling of the regular versions of both was completely unsatisfactory for my wants. I would not buy either at half the price IF I had to drive them that way. That's just my preference; I totally understand people preferring a softer ride, particularly if their roads are bad or its their only car.

Between the Performance package and Brembo package models, they were both VERY good handling for a regular driver. My take was the Performance Package car was the tiniest bit better handling which would make sense due to the higher front weight if the two got the same level of attention re shocks and springs. The Brembo brakes felt better than the upgraded PP brakes but didn't stop better (on the street).

Both the Brembo and Performance package are great street cars. Nothing (new cars) comes close for the price. But, as I said, I would prefer the Brembo package without the Brembos for the street (assuming an appropriate reduction in price). I'm not saying the brembo package is too expensive for the hardware (and software) you get. Just that some of what you get is either not the best value for the street or the best value for the track.

p.s. Before anyone gets confused about why someone claiming to care about performance would buy a V6 I will say that I consider forward acceleration in any car short of Veyron class a major major yawn. That's just me. My background is mostly open class sport bikes. So even mid 2 second 0-60s are nothing special. I enjoy the 1+ G braking and turning (yes these will do over 1G in a turn if not on a skid pad) and try to stay awake for the pathetic Gs on the gas even from the 5.0. The PP is the equal to the Brembo on the street in handling and braking. So since it was obvious Ford was gouging the 5.0 buyers (or subsidizing the 3.7 buyers) and the PP was virtually equal to the Brembos in handling and street braking, I went with the V6 PP. Ford prices the GT about the same over the base as the cost of a 5.0 crate motor. So anyway you look at it, V6 buyers are getting their motor for free.
Old 6/28/11, 10:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I drove regular GTs, Brembo Gts, regular V6s and Performance Package V6s. The handling of the regular versions of both was completely unsatisfactory for my wants. I would not buy either at half the price IF I had to drive them that way. That's just my preference; I totally understand people preferring a softer ride, particularly if their roads are bad or its their only car.

Between the Performance package and Brembo package models, they were both VERY good handling for a regular driver. My take was the Performance Package car was the tiniest bit better handling which would make sense due to the higher front weight if the two got the same level of attention re shocks and springs. The Brembo brakes felt better than the upgraded PP brakes but didn't stop better (on the street).

Both the Brembo and Performance package are great street cars. Nothing (new cars) comes close for the price. But, as I said, I would prefer the Brembo package without the Brembos for the street (assuming an appropriate reduction in price). I'm not saying the brembo package is too expensive for the hardware (and software) you get. Just that some of what you get is either not the best value for the street or the best value for the track.

p.s. Before anyone gets confused about why someone claiming to care about performance would buy a V6 I will say that I consider forward acceleration in any car short of Veyron class a major major yawn. That's just me. My background is mostly open class sport bikes. So even mid 2 second 0-60s are nothing special. I enjoy the 1+ G braking and turning (yes these will do over 1G in a turn if not on a skid pad) and try to stay awake for the pathetic Gs on the gas even from the 5.0. The PP is the equal to the Brembo on the street in handling and braking. So since it was obvious Ford was gouging the 5.0 buyers (or subsidizing the 3.7 buyers) and the PP was virtually equal to the Brembos in handling and street braking, I went with the V6 PP. Ford prices the GT about the same over the base as the cost of a 5.0 crate motor. So anyway you look at it, V6 buyers are getting their motor for free.

my issue with this critique is the increased handling that you're feeling is based largely on the tires/wheel combination, which imo is still subpar for what the mustang really needs for it. (yes a small amount based on the suspension tweaks). If you were to spend the same money on the brembo package but instead put it in aftermarket wheels/tires you'd be feeling even BETTER about the handling and performance of the car.
Old 6/28/11, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottomline, drive both versions of the car and buy the one you like best and don't settle. Have the dealer find it for you, they can ship it from other states, or order it if you cant find what you want and dont mind the wait. I ordered mine so i could get exactly what I wanted. I plan on upgrading most of the suspension and getting a set of dedicated track wheels/tires eventually but as I have just graduated from college this gives me a great setup to mess around in/autoX/short track days while i make some money to upgrade my car.
Old 6/28/11, 11:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
"I'm traveling at 67,062 MPH around the sun so the top speed of any of these cars is a joke to me. That's why I drive a Prius."
Old 6/28/11, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
There are different levels of vehicle stability management that Ford calls AdvanceTrac. On, traction control off (click the button once and traction control [TCS] turns off with electronic stability [ESC] still on), sport (on gt premium models hit the button twice and both TCS and ESC are on but much less intrusive), and off (both are off). With the BBP i have been told that in TCS off and sport modes the ESC is and TCS are less intrusive and allow for more wheel spin and yaw rate than they would normally without the BBP. Its basically so when you go to the track and don't have advancetrac in the off mode the brakes aren't being applied mid-corner and the engine power output isn't reduced.
Thanks. That sounds like the same setup as my non-Brembo automatic.
Old 6/28/11, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Most of the guys here who minimize and talk down the Brembo package are guys that don't have it....Go figure.

You'll never go wrong paying a little extra for premium hardware. There is no doubt the brembo package is a bargain in that respect.. One you'll appreciate every time you drive the car.
Old 6/28/11, 12:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
All of the road tests seem to use BBP cars since they're the highest performance variant of the GT. It would be interesting to see how these compare to the standard suspension cars on a road course...especially with comparable tires.
Old 6/28/11, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

Sport mode comes on premium trim models
I have no premium trim. The only option I have is automatic tranny and spoiler delete. I have sport mode bro, drive in it almost every day.
Old 6/28/11, 02:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
"I'm traveling at 67,062 MPH around the sun so the top speed of any of these cars is a joke to me. That's why I drive a Prius."

ROFL! That's the way I took his post too.
Old 6/28/11, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT

I have no premium trim. The only option I have is automatic tranny and spoiler delete. I have sport mode bro, drive in it almost every day.
Maybe they changed that for 2012. I googled it last night and it told me that option was on premium trim. Idk
Old 6/28/11, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Freakazoid
my issue with this critique is the increased handling that you're feeling is based largely on the tires/wheel combination, which imo is still subpar for what the mustang really needs for it. (yes a small amount based on the suspension tweaks). If you were to spend the same money on the brembo package but instead put it in aftermarket wheels/tires you'd be feeling even BETTER about the handling and performance of the car.
I think I said the same thing about the aftermarket parts. That the Brembo package does not hit the mark for either street-only drivers OR serious track drivers. The Brembo brakes are great for the track but add weight without any meaningful improvement in stopping distance on the street. But the rest of the package is wrong for almost anyone who ever hits the track. Those parts are actually great on the street where you don't get any benefit from the brakes. There may be an O'Henry story in their somewhere.

For sure the tires shared by the Performance Package and the Brembo package are a big part of the handling improvement BUT those tires would be substantially less satisfying on the much softer regular GT and V6 springs. Bottom line: the Brembo and Performance package are a fantastic value for STREET handling but in that venue the Brembo brakes are just along for the ride.
Old 6/28/11, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
The Brembo package is more of a marketing or appearance thing than a practical performance value.

People like the name. Most people like the wheels. You can use the better handling from time to time even on the street.

But the brakes themselves don't help on the street and are even a negative due to the increased unsprung weight. You will NEVER use the brakes hard repeatedly on the street so the fade resistance is pointless. Braking distance with ABS is virtually the same as the stock brakes for single stops; test differences are within the margin of error. Likewise better "feel" doesn't improve safety on the street.

The only place the brakes themselves make a lot of sense is on the track and the people who do that in a serious way will replace the suspension and wheels in the package.

If I was going to seriously track the car, I would rather be able to order JUST the Brembo brakes so i wouldn't have to pay more for the Brembo package suspension parts and wheels I would be replacing anyway. And if the car was for just street use, I would rather have everything in the Brembo Package EXCEPT the brakes, since they have no value there IMO.

To me the package only really makes sense for a street car that might do a few track days but isn't really interested in their lap times but even they need to add ducts to get the full benefits of the brakes. It probably also makes sense for a casual autoxer. For those people its a steal. But that is a pretty small percentage of all owners and even within Brembo package owners. Most people buy the package for the name or looks.
I agree. Looked at it the same way you did and decided against it.
Old 6/28/11, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737
I agree. Looked at it the same way you did and decided against it.
+1 I love the wheels but could care less about the rest of it.
Old 6/28/11, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
I think your talking about the Electronic assisted Steering mode.

Maybe they changed that for 2012. I googled it last night and it told me that option was on premium trim. Idk
It was my understanding that all BBP equipped cars (Base or Premium) have the ESC Sport mode. I have a base GT (300A) with BBP and 3.73's and mine works.
Old 6/28/11, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
It was my understanding that all BBP equipped cars (Base or Premium) have the ESC Sport mode. I have a base GT (300A) with BBP and 3.73's and mine works.
That's what I thought too but then I googled it. I might've looked at something wrong, unfortunately google isn't always right lol
Old 6/28/11, 09:17 PM
Cobra R Member

I have a 2010 GT automatic... and I have 'sport mode'. It's not limited to BBP.
Old 6/28/11, 10:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have an '11 Brembo GT, but it's not a Premium model - just the base - and I do NOT have the Sport Mode for AdvanceTrac.
Old 6/28/11, 10:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The more I drive my Brembo GT, the more I realize that while the ride is jittery at pedestrian speeds, at elevated speeds and hard cornering the suspension composure is remarkably good. It's as if the suspension tuning is really set up for the weight transfer that goes with driving at the limits of adhesion.

Quick Reply: Brembos vs non