2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembos vs non

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/11, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembos vs non

I'm in the process of buying a new 5.0 but I have a dilemma. I want a grabber blue GT but I can't find one with Brembos. A dealer not to far away has the very car I want minus Brembos. 6 speed, premium, 373s, the upgraded wheels. My question is should the lack of the Brembos keep me from buying it and waiting for one with them or is their that big of a difference or could they possibly be added on at the dealership. I just don't want to buy it and then wish i had waited. Thanks
Old 6/26/11, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "brembo" package includes an assortment of other upgrades to the suspension resulting in a firmer sportier handling car. If you think this will satisfy you then you should get the Brembo option if you plan on suspension mods including lowering or coil overs then don't wait. Also the wheels are special on the Brembo version so it is a good value even if you sell off everything except the brakes which is what I would do.
Old 6/27/11, 09:39 AM
GT Member

I don't miss it on my car. Mine is a daily driver and I enjoy the softer feel and less expensive tires (18 vs 19).

I've even had this thing on a road course and it performed really well.
Old 6/27/11, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

I decided to save the money on options because whatever options I wanted would be aftermarket. Unless the brembo package and the tire/ wheel combo is exactly what you want, then save the money and get exactly what you want. My brakes and suspension are great now. The 235 tires hold it back but the 255s are still too small. These cars need minimum 275 , preferably 285. If that was available with the brembo package, I may have considered it if I liked the tire / wheel combo.
Old 6/27/11, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

No Brembo would be a deal breaker for me... A must have in my opinion; previous ride was an '07 Corvette; stopping and handling are good things. The Brembo package is an outstanding value, well worth the getting in cost.
Old 6/27/11, 11:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
keep looking....get the brembo package.
Old 6/27/11, 11:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
As someone else mentioned, the Brembo package tires cost more to replace. If a big brake kit is something that you would add, then it's better to just get it from the factory and save a lot of money. It's gonna cost a lot of money that you don't wanna spend, if you try to add the package on after you have the car. I'd say wait, and get one exactly how you want it.
Old 6/27/11, 11:59 AM
GT Member

Agreed. Find a car with Brembos. Better braking is never a bad thing and it's a good value for what you get.
Old 6/27/11, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

The standard brakes work great. I would love to see a 60-0 comparison. It wouldn't be much difgerence if any. If you're road racing , the Brembos are a no brainier of course. If not, save your cash for other mods unless you just want Brembos as an option.
Old 6/27/11, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

For me it wasn't the deal breaker. Unless its something that you truly want don't make it hold you back on a car, and definitely don't let a dealer talk you into something that your not settled on yourself. I had issues choosing between 401 and 402 packages but I decided on what I truly wanted and I have no regrets. 401 of course! Remember its your car and get what YOU want.

Also, good choice on color! Can't wait to see some pics of another grabber blue girl!!
Old 6/27/11, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Barricade
Agreed!
Old 6/27/11, 01:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
+1 on the Brembo package.. plus it splits the difference between the GT and the Boss...well..it puts you a little closer with the upgraded rubber turning and stopping prowess.

There's nothing wronng with the regular brakes and suspension tuning but the BBP is a must have for the sports car/stringback glove set.
Old 6/27/11, 02:43 PM
GT Member

it's completely dependent on what YOU want. I was fine without it on my 5.0.

Pluses:
Upgraded wheels/tires (although still not what I'd ultimately want)
Upgraded suspension
Upgraded brakes

Negatives:
More expensive tires
Non all season tires
More expensive brakes

it's all on what YOU want, as was mentioned above if the tires were at least like a 275/285 I think it'd be enough. But even the upgraded tires aren't upgraded enough for my taste. ultimately your choice over anything else!
Old 6/27/11, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't settle for the car if it isn't what you want. You gotta enjoy the car. If you want the BBP i would definitely wait for it. For what it comes with (wheels/tires, brakes, different suspension components, reprogrammed TCS management) its definitely worth the price IMO.

I plan on replacing most of the suspension compenents because im going to be tracking the car but not for a little while so its nice having a sportier setup in the meantime (I also really like the scuderia style wheels).

For whomever posted about stopping differences i believe the BBP stops 2-3 feet shorter however that is due to the tires more than brakes (those pirellis are expensive but hold the road great except when its raining). The Brembos reduce brake fade while tracking the car so it keeps that stopping distance about the same each time whereas the stock brakes that distance will increase with each corner on the track as the brakes heat up.

The only thing i don't get is why the BBP comes with standard brake lines instead of less expansive ones like the BOSS or even stainless steel lines. Screwy. Stainless steel lines is the next thing im adding
Old 6/27/11, 06:03 PM
deleted account per user request

The only thing I wanted was a black Brembo car with 373's. I looked for a while and couldn't find one close and didn't want to wait. Found My car... a black prem, 373's, with the 19's and decided to pull the triger. I wanted the Brembo's because well.. they're Brembo's, and love the wheels. Still wish I had them but love my nickle 19's and it stops fine.. LOL. Infact I'm pretty sure I saw a 60-0 test and there was a one foot difference.
Old 6/27/11, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
Don't settle for the car if it isn't what you want. You gotta enjoy the car. If you want the BBP i would definitely wait for it. For what it comes with (wheels/tires, brakes, different suspension components, reprogrammed TCS management) its definitely worth the price IMO.

I plan on replacing most of the suspension compenents because im going to be tracking the car but not for a little while so its nice having a sportier setup in the meantime (I also really like the scuderia style wheels).

For whomever posted about stopping differences i believe the BBP stops 2-3 feet shorter however that is due to the tires more than brakes (those pirellis are expensive but hold the road great except when its raining). The Brembos reduce brake fade while tracking the car so it keeps that stopping distance about the same each time whereas the stock brakes that distance will increase with each corner on the track as the brakes heat up.

The only thing i don't get is why the BBP comes with standard brake lines instead of less expansive ones like the BOSS or even stainless steel lines. Screwy. Stainless steel lines is the next thing im adding
reprogrammed TCS management....... Can you please explain this.
Old 6/27/11, 07:53 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also I think the Brembo package has the carbon fiber clutch pack installed on the Traction-Lok.
Old 6/27/11, 08:25 PM

I think it has the wheels. Not sure if its the same as the ones that come with the Brembo package but they were like 1900 dollars on the window sticker and they were 19s. The only options it had over standard were the 373s and the wheels. Thanks
Old 6/27/11, 08:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by freyke
No Brembo would be a deal breaker for me... A must have in my opinion; previous ride was an '07 Corvette; stopping and handling are good things. The Brembo package is an outstanding value, well worth the getting in cost.
+1. You'll also get a lot of the cost back at resale time. There are affordable tires to replace the Pirelli's. I really like the BBP wheels but it's too bad you can't get a set of 10's for the rear.
Old 6/27/11, 08:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Barricade

This. It was a must have option for me. You'll regret it later if you don't get them.

Quick Reply: Brembos vs non