2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Brembos vs non

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/11, 08:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if you haven't driven a 5.0 with and without the BBP you should. That should answer your question pretty quickly.
Old 6/27/11, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheReaper

reprogrammed TCS management....... Can you please explain this.
There are different levels of vehicle stability management that Ford calls AdvanceTrac. On, traction control off (click the button once and traction control [TCS] turns off with electronic stability [ESC] still on), sport (on gt premium models hit the button twice and both TCS and ESC are on but much less intrusive), and off (both are off). With the BBP i have been told that in TCS off and sport modes the ESC is and TCS are less intrusive and allow for more wheel spin and yaw rate than they would normally without the BBP. Its basically so when you go to the track and don't have advancetrac in the off mode the brakes aren't being applied mid-corner and the engine power output isn't reduced.
Old 6/27/11, 09:38 PM

I've only driven 3 mustangs my 84 20th anniversary, 01 GT, and a friends 07 GT. Are the 2012s pretty much the same handling and braking as what the 07 was? I've been on Fords website and started typing in every zip code within 6 or so hours away and I just can't find one exactly how I want it anywhere.
Old 6/27/11, 10:05 PM
Cobra R Member

A lot of this "track ready blahhhhhhhh..." is due to the tires... not all of it, but a healthy portion.

The special ESC tuning is made for all scenarios. Which probably- tho there's no word on it... lets the car run a little looser due to it's wider tires over non BBP. But with that, ESC does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance, it rather helps minimize the loss of control.

Straight outta Ford:
Advance Trac with ESC
AdvanceTrac® Electronic Stability Control (ESC), standard on Mustang, gives you more confidence and control behind the wheel under slippery road conditions. AdvanceTrac uses sensors to detect and measure yaw, or side-to-side skidding conditions, by monitoring the vehicle’s speed, throttle position and steering wheel angle. When AdvanceTrac senses wheel slippage, it reduces engine torque and applies the brakes as needed. In the 2011 Mustang GT Premium, AdvanceTrac® ESC can be placed in ‘on,’ ‘off’ or Sport mode position – allowing you to push it more while still retaining control. This feature provides unique calibration for a spirited driving experience.?
So like I said, due to having wider tires- you can loosen that a step over the narrower tires of non BBP.

In the same instance 2010 Track Pack cars have the same tires, rear LCAs, and swaybars as 2011 Brembo cars. No info on springs... but 2010 Track Pack details were...

19-inch Pirelli P Zero P255/40ZR-19
"modified underpinnings"
front and rear stabilizer bars
roll gradient reduced by 13 percent
damping increased by 23 percent in front and 8 percent in the rear
Performance Friction brake pads

Use the search feature and work the google machine. There's Shi tons of info/opinions/numbers.
Old 6/27/11, 10:45 PM
Cobra Member

I have no options on my 5.0 and I have sport mode.
Old 6/27/11, 11:12 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I've been on Fords website and started typing in every zip code within 6 or so hours away and I just can't find one exactly how I want it anywhere.
What exactly are you looking for?
Old 6/28/11, 12:31 AM

Why not just order what you want? I ordered grabber blue with pretty much the same options (I got the BBP) and it took about 6 weeks for it to arrive.

I didn't get to drive a car with the BBP beforehand and it would have been nice. The sportier suspension that comes with the BBP is pretty cheap and make for very bouncy ride. If it wasn't a fixable thing it was bad enough I wouldn't have wanted the car at all. I replaced the suspension with Ford Performance Parts and it's pretty much solved the issue. It drives a little stiffer but I don't get sick after 30 minutes of driving anymore.

In my opinion the only reason you really need the BBP is if you intend to take it to a track. Otherwise, you're not going to overheat the brakes and likely won't need to stop THAT fast in a DD. The difference appears to be 105 ft with BBP vs. 117 ft without. They're probably closer together than 12 ft though.

So yeah in my opinion it's only worth it if you are going to take it to a track. If you are, be prepared to spend another $1500 or so if you end up hating the feel of the suspension as much as I did. But if you are going to take it a track definitely get the BBP.
Old 6/28/11, 12:35 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdogface
... The difference appears to be 105 ft with BBP vs. 117 ft without. They're probably closer together than 12 ft though.

I'd go out on a limb and say that the majority of the difference in stopping distances between the 2 is in the summer tires vs. the all seasons.
Old 6/28/11, 01:40 AM

I want a grabber blue, black interior, 6 speed, 373, brembo car. I've only found 1 other blue one and it was about 6 or so hours away and it didn't have 373s. That is me googling the zip codes for major cities near where I live and punching them in on Fords website. Can you still order them?
Old 6/28/11, 04:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
+1. You'll also get a lot of the cost back at resale time. There are affordable tires to replace the Pirelli's. I really like the BBP wheels but it's too bad you can't get a set of 10's for the rear.
A friend of mine owns a used car lot and from his experience high priced options for is brembo, glass roof, navigation do not really add that much value after a few years on a used car. It adds some but bot the value you paid for them originally.
Old 6/28/11, 06:15 AM
V6 Member

Another point that I'm not sure if I saw mentioned or not is the spare tire or rather lack of spare tire with the brembo package. I've had cars with the tire inflation system in the past and I hated knowing that if I was on a road trip and blew my tire, then I was screwed! I've never experienced a situation where the tire inflation kit would help. Tires were always unable to be repaired and needed replacing. That means u'll need a tow. Spare tire would have solved that. I suppose u could always buy a spare tire aftermarket.....just something else to consider.
Old 6/28/11, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
A lot of this "track ready blahhhhhhhh..." is due to the tires... not all of it, but a healthy portion.

The special ESC tuning is made for all scenarios. Which probably- tho there's no word on it... lets the car run a little looser due to it's wider tires over non BBP. But with that, ESC does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance, it rather helps minimize the loss of control.

So like I said, due to having wider tires- you can loosen that a step over the narrower tires of non BBP.
Yea i completely agree, tires make one of the biggest differences in the handling and the AdvanceTrac does not improve handling. The different modes just make it less intrusive. Its a pain in the butt cornering at a track and trying to come out of the apex with the brakes trying to hold you straight and not having all of the engines power. After tracking a lot you can generally drive better than the cars computer thinks you can lol

For the majority of people these setting will just be used for burnouts. Nothing wrong with that
Old 6/28/11, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
I have no options on my 5.0 and I have sport mode.
Sport mode comes on premium trim models
Old 6/28/11, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, that's true. The resale value isn't impacted that much...and as a return on investment, I would say that the obvious stuff like the electronics package, Sync, nav, glass roof, leather would add more than the Brembo package... but those things, IMO don't make for a better Mustang GT. These cars are all about the drive...and the BBP option DOES make a noticable improvement to the car's reflexes.

That said, if you don't like the BBP wheels (I happen to think they're amongst the best looking wheels ever to come on a Mustang ) you could get 85% of the benefit by picking out your own 19" wheels and tires and swapping out the front brakes later. It will almost definitely cost you more to do it this way though.
Old 6/28/11, 08:27 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Yeah, that's true. The resale value isn't impacted that much...and as a return on investment, I would say that the obvious stuff like the electronics package, Sync, nav, glass roof, leather would add more than the Brembo package... but those things, IMO don't make for a better Mustang GT. These cars are all about the drive...and the BBP option DOES make a noticable improvement to the car's reflexes.

That said, if you don't like the BBP wheels (I happen to think they're amongst the best looking wheels ever to come on a Mustang ) you could get 85% of the benefit by picking out your own 19" wheels and tires and swapping out the front brakes later. It will almost definitely cost you more to do it this way though.

well said. to stress the brembo package will likely add next to nothing to resale. Mainly because it's something that won't show up on things like nada, kbb, blackbook etc. and ultimately these are the sites that determine the true value of the car
Old 6/28/11, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I happen to think they're amongst the best looking wheels ever to come on a Mustang
+1 I love the wheels. Look familiar? Ferrari 430 Scuderia vs Mustang GT BBP

Old 6/28/11, 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
The Brembo package is more of a marketing or appearance thing than a practical performance value.

People like the name. Most people like the wheels. You can use the better handling from time to time even on the street.

But the brakes themselves don't help on the street and are even a negative due to the increased unsprung weight. You will NEVER use the brakes hard repeatedly on the street so the fade resistance is pointless. Braking distance with ABS is virtually the same as the stock brakes for single stops; test differences are within the margin of error. Likewise better "feel" doesn't improve safety on the street.

The only place the brakes themselves make a lot of sense is on the track and the people who do that in a serious way will replace the suspension and wheels in the package.

If I was going to seriously track the car, I would rather be able to order JUST the Brembo brakes so i wouldn't have to pay more for the Brembo package suspension parts and wheels I would be replacing anyway. And if the car was for just street use, I would rather have everything in the Brembo Package EXCEPT the brakes, since they have no value there IMO.

To me the package only really makes sense for a street car that might do a few track days but isn't really interested in their lap times but even they need to add ducts to get the full benefits of the brakes. It probably also makes sense for a casual autoxer. For those people its a steal. But that is a pretty small percentage of all owners and even within Brembo package owners. Most people buy the package for the name or looks.
Old 6/28/11, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I want a grabber blue, black interior, 6 speed, 373, brembo car. I've only found 1 other blue one and it was about 6 or so hours away and it didn't have 373s. That is me googling the zip codes for major cities near where I live and punching them in on Fords website. Can you still order them?
Why wouldn't you be able to order them? You'll be getting a 2012.
Old 6/28/11, 09:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
The Brembo package is more of a marketing or appearance thing than a practical performance value.

People like the name. Most people like the wheels. You can use the better handling from time to time even on the street.

But the brakes themselves don't help on the street and are even a negative due to the increased unsprung weight. You will NEVER use the brakes hard repeatedly on the street so the fade resistance is pointless. Braking distance with ABS is virtually the same as the stock brakes for single stops; test differences are within the margin of error. Likewise better "feel" doesn't improve safety on the street.

The only place the brakes themselves make a lot of sense is on the track and the people who do that in a serious way will replace the suspension and wheels in the package.

If I was going to seriously track the car, I would rather be able to order JUST the Brembo brakes so i wouldn't have to pay more for the Brembo package suspension parts and wheels I would be replacing anyway. And if the car was for just street use, I would rather have everything in the Brembo Package EXCEPT the brakes, since they have no value there IMO.

To me the package only really makes sense for a street car that might do a few track days but isn't really interested in their lap times but even they need to add ducts to get the full benefits of the brakes. It probably also makes sense for a casual autoxer. For those people its a steal. But that is a pretty small percentage of all owners and even within Brembo package owners. Most people buy the package for the name or looks.

You bought a V6 car... but did you drive both versions of the GT?

I drove a base car initially and loved it, drove a BBP car and just about creamed my jeans. The suspension revisions and upgraded rubber make a noticable difference in the feel of the car.

The technical benefits may be "minimizable" as you state above but to those of us who prefer a more sporty driving car, the BBP makes a worthwhile difference.

Let's be honest here: this package costs less than the glass roof. It's not like you're throwing your money away on a huge option package. $1700 well spent, IMO.
Old 6/28/11, 09:52 AM
GT Member

Looks like I'm the oddball. The wheels are not my favorite, and the cost of tires a real drag. I doubt I'll ever track the car, so the brakes I don't need. I'm mostly curious about the "suspension tuning", what if any benefits there are. I've noticed the silver lower control arms on cars on the lot, but don't know what that offers me, except cool undercarriage appeal.

My driving will be spirited country and mountain roads, interstate (500 mi a day), spirited freeway on ramps and around town jaunts.

I'm on the verge of ordering. I'd rather have cloth seats, Shaker Audio, comfort pack, and dual zone A/C. You can see how confused I am . . .
Oh, and I never met a factory stock shock I liked.

Any hints on what Mustang matches me the best ??

Quick Reply: Brembos vs non