2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2013 Mustang Order Guides (including GT500) & Price Lists

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/12, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cinque35
just make sure that the bill of sale has the same number he gave you, also if that includes the destination charge of $795 and what admin fee's there are, could be hundreds also
Thanks much cinque35!
Old 2/10/12, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Not yet, GTskillet.

Deysha
Ok, thanks.
Old 2/10/12, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by larrycohen28
Thanks much cinque35!
Price of car = $1000.00 under invoice(Use the guide on 1st page here with the options you want to verify this)

TTL will be added, rough guess is 12%

Marketing fee and gas fee, should be the only other fee's.

Anymore questions, 05fordgt or 5.0Brian can spec it out for you but list the options you want.

Back when I bought my 2003 Cobra, I got it for $28,000 for the price of the car(not including TTL or other fee's). Sticker was $37,500+ w/ chrome wheels. That had to be under invoice. It was the last day of the month and the last hour they were open. Guess it sat there too long and the blew it out the door.....
Old 2/10/12, 03:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't know that about Truecar. Thank you. I actually just stumbled upon them. But they do list the dealer's cost there. Are you saying what they are listing is incorrect?
Without seeing the info 1st hand, I can't say for sure. But from what I read on other forums, the prices are way lower than possible even adding in all the rebates.
Old 2/10/12, 03:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 1992chpb4c
Price of car = $1000.00 under invoice(Use the guide on 1st page here with the options you want to verify this)

Anymore questions, 05fordgt or 5.0Brian can spec it out for you but list the options you want.

Back when I bought my 2003 Cobra, I got it for $28,000 for the price of the car(not including TTL or other fee's). Sticker was $37,500+ w/ chrome wheels. That had to be under invoice. It was the last day of the month and the last hour they were open. Guess it sat there too long and the blew it out the door.....
You got an amazing deal on the Cobra, but the car industry was WAY WAY different back then compared to today. Margins are way shorter and smaller than they were back then.
Old 2/10/12, 03:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by erouch
Well on another note, I am so excited about my mustang. I am driving my wife crazy with all the mustang crap i am looking at and talking about. She asked me how my excitement level compares to our marriage and the birth of our sons. To which i replied "well this might cost more".
Haha. My wife is going sick. I tell her I love her more than the car though. It's a win for her too though. He gets a Prius (which I despise) and jewelry and a nice house. It's a win win.
Old 2/10/12, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

That was soooo wrong, Sky Hye! SMH!

Deysha
Hahahaha. Sorry Deysha, I couldn't resist. All this excitement with ordering i had to hopefully soon you WILL have my Shelby VIN!!!
Old 2/10/12, 03:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go to truecar.com you can see what the actual dealer cost is for a car. They don't have the 2013 up their yet, but for the 2012, you'll see that the dealer cost is over $1000 less than invoice.
I just looked up a 2012 Mustang on truecar and there is no listing of dealer cost or invoice pricing, all it showed was a theoretical "Target Price" and a market average sale price along with MSRP.
Old 2/10/12, 03:57 PM

Here are the options

P8C - 31,642
D&D - 795
401A - 353
457 - 353
64v - 888
43s - 621
53b - 581
58n - 2088
77c - 214
12a - 76

Total = 37,611 - $1000 - $500 rebate + TTL, Gas and Marketing fees. Sales tax on cars in VA is 3% but I have no idea about title and license fees.
Old 2/10/12, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
You got an amazing deal on the Cobra, but the car industry was WAY WAY different back then compared to today. Margins are way shorter and smaller than they were back then.
Dont know how or why but that was back when SVT flooded the market with Cobra's. Maybe that helped. I think they learned their lesson. Each dealer here in Phoenix had at least 4-5 Cobra's at all times, lol.
Old 2/10/12, 04:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dont know how or why but that was back when SVT flooded the market with Cobra's. Maybe that helped. I think they learned their lesson. Each dealer here in Phoenix had at least 4-5 Cobra's at all times, lol.
They probably had serious money on them like the 2012 GT500s do today, to help move them!!!
Old 2/10/12, 09:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ThrustangFiveO
Hey Jeff or Bri, how many BRAND NEW cars/trucks does your dealership sell $1000 under invoice per year? Would love to know how common this is.
I'd say that we sell about 1,000 new vehicles per year total. Roughly half of those are sold right around the invoice total, give or take a couple hundred bucks either direction. But to answer your question, we probably sacrifice about 40 or 50 new vehicles a year for $1,000 or more below invoice (several per month). These are typically unpopular vehicles that have sat around unsold for a very long time.

For example, we have a brand new 2011 Mustang GT Premium Coupe on our lot right now for sale (click here) that has been here nearly a year unsold that we are desperate to sell. There are no rebates from Ford on 2011's anymore, but we've slashed the price $3,908 below the invoice total:

$37,385 = MSRP
$34,858 = Invoice Total per Ford
$30,950 = Our Sale Price

The holdback has already been used up long ago on this car (so that is not a profit line), but luckily Ford is paying dealers $2,000 in "dealer cash" to clear out remaining new 2011 Mustangs so we're only losing $1,908 (plus 6+ months of flooring expense not covered by the holdback), not the entire $3,908. Still a big loss, though, and an awesome deal on a well equipped GT Premium. Somebody buy a plane ticket and fly out here to buy it from me!

Also, any Costco members should look for a Ford dealer near them on the Costco Auto Buying Program. Costco keeps dealers on a tight leash with big discounts (especially on slow selling models). For example, for the last couple of months, Costco had us selling new 2011 F-250 & F-350's to their members for $1,500 below the invoice total before deducting the generous Ford rebates! We sold out of new '11 Super Duty trucks quickly at that rate and made next to nothing on those deals. They have us selling '12 Super Duties to their members for $450 below the invoice total. At least most vehicles hover within $200 of the invoice, plus or minus, so Costco is reasonable to dealers most of the time.

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 2/11/12 at 08:00 AM.
Old 2/10/12, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I just looked up a 2012 Mustang on truecar and there is no listing of dealer cost or invoice pricing, all it showed was a theoretical "Target Price" and a market average sale price along with MSRP.
Click on the details tab.
Old 2/11/12, 07:49 AM

You know, I see this all the time. People in business are afraid to talk about profit like it’s a bad thing. Profit is a necessary thing, telling you customers how much profit you’re making is not. It’s common knowledge I am buying a car from Jeff. I would certainly hope Jeff is making a decent profit on the sale. I realize he has time and effort involved in this and deserves to make money. I don’t expect Jeff or anyone in sales to work for charity. Profit gets a bad rap, I run a business and I can assure you I make profit, if I didn’t I would have employees that have families that rely on their income unemployed. Ultimately they rely on me to make sure we are profitable since it’s my business. I make it my responsibility to make enough profit to keep things running so my guys can support their families while at the same time providing my customers with a FAIR value for goods and services. I will never be rich but I know I treat both my employees and customer’s right and both make out in the end. Buying a car like people on this forum is and emotional purchase, they aren’t cheap, they aren’t necessary. The fact that some cars sell above invoice is proof of that, it is foolish financial decision, but some do it anyway because they simply want it. No one wants to get overcharged, I waited deliberately until now despite the fact I wanted this car for quite sometime. It made sense to me and Jeff Greenly made it a reality, knowing what I paid, knowing he still made money only proved what I thought all a long with the pricing structure. With fords help these cars can be bought at a good price. I HOPE Jeff is making some decent money on my purchase; he deserves it. I can only imagine the overhead at a dealership. More over I want Jeff to be profitable how it works for both of us because I am happy with the price I bought it at!

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Short of it being a leftover that has sat for a long time, NEVER!!! If a dealership sold cars at $1,000 under every time, they won't be open more than a month. Some buyers just don't want the dealer to make a penny and IMHO, that's wrong. We are a business and have the right to make a living and I have the right to make a living so I can eat.

Whenever someone comes in and tries this approach with me (buying many hundreds under invoice on a new car that just released, which it doesn't happen all that often), I ask them what they do. If they say they own a business (let's say plumbing), I ask, can they re-do my entire plumbing in my house for their cost prices on labor and materials. They look at me like I'm crazy and say they have to make a profit!! Well.....why am I any different.
Old 2/11/12, 08:25 AM

I truly wasn't trying to screw anybody, or make it so that people can't feed their kids. However, I also don't feel it's my responsibility to make sure the dealer is making a profit. I'm really not a bad person. I just want to get a good price on what I'm purchasing. I seriously had no idea how good this price was until I mentioned it on the forum. Maybe the dealer had other motives for selling me the car at this price (like having a 2013 out there for others to see so that they will come in and buy a car?) Doesn't matter to me. If the dealer didn't want to sell me a car at this price then he shouldn't have made me this offer and asked me to please come back in to the dealership. It's the responsibility of the sales team to make sure they are doing what is best for their business, not mine.
Old 2/11/12, 09:15 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is something to ponder...

Many years ago, I heard something that may or may not be true, but it makes sense.

I had heard that the invoice pricing on vehicles is just something made up by the car makers to satisfy buyers.

People want the best deal, so the "invoice" was created to give the dealers something to work with. They can use this "invoice" to show the customer how much the vehicle costs thus setting the bottom line on a deal.

The real cost is only known by the dealership owners and few people below them that need that info (accounting, etc.). Even salesman are out of the loop and are trained that this invoice is the real cost.

This could explain how a dealership can sell vehicles $$ under invoice all the time and still stay in business.

Just something to think about...
Old 2/11/12, 09:16 AM

I completely agree the dealer and you have to come to an agreement on price. You weren't trying to screw anyone or yourself! I don't want to overpay for anything I buy. The dealership has a business to run it's not our problem. Thats his job and he knows what it takes to keep the doors open and provide for his employees.
Sounds like you got a good deal, and the dealer was satisfied also or he would not of sold the car. Thats perfect! I had a dealers not willing to sell me a Shelby for the price I was willing to pay and quite honestly thought I was SOL, the one I had wanted had been in the showroom since August and the dealer wouldn't budge, while I was playing hardball over price it sold the day my salesman was off. Luckily I found someone willing to find the car I wanted at the price I was willing to pay.
It's like anything else whats it worth to you and how much is someone willing to sell it for.

I truly wasn't trying to screw anybody, or make it so that people can't feed their kids. However, I also don't feel it's my responsibility to make sure the dealer is making a profit. I'm really not a bad person. I just want to get a good price on what I'm purchasing. I seriously had no idea how good this price was until I mentioned it on the forum. Maybe the dealer had other motives for selling me the car at this price (like having a 2013 out there for others to see so that they will come in and buy a car?) Doesn't matter to me. If the dealer didn't want to sell me a car at this price then he shouldn't have made me this offer and asked me to please come back in to the dealership. It's the responsibility of the sales team to make sure they are doing what is best for their business, not mine.
Old 2/11/12, 09:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Here is something to ponder...

Many years ago, I heard something that may or may not be true, but it makes sense.

I had heard that the invoice pricing on vehicles is just something made up by the car makers to satisfy buyers.

People want the best deal, so the "invoice" was created to give the dealers something to work with. They can use this "invoice" to show the customer how much the vehicle costs thus setting the bottom line on a deal.

The real cost is only known by the dealership owners and few people below them that need that info (accounting, etc.). Even salesman are out of the loop and are trained that this invoice is the real cost.

This could explain how a dealership can sell vehicles $$ under invoice all the time and still stay in business.

Just something to think about...
this is not a secret, everyone know the invoice isn't what the inventory costs, but it's what they need to sell it for to stay in business. it's more of a brake-even cost after factoring in overhead & salaries.
They're not volunteers at a soup kitchen, they're a business like any other. no business would exist if they sold everything for the price they paid for it..

Last edited by cinque35; 2/11/12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2/11/12, 09:47 AM
GT Member

Don't forget...new car sales are just a piece (relatively small financially in the grand scheme of things) of the dealerships income though very important because it starts the relationship with the customer. Gotta keep them wanting to come to the dealership for service and accessories!
Old 2/11/12, 10:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SkyyPunk
Don't forget...new car sales are just a piece (relatively small financially in the grand scheme of things) of the dealerships income though very important because it starts the relationship with the customer. Gotta keep them wanting to come to the dealership for service and accessories!
this too

Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang Order Guides (including GT500) & Price Lists