The 2011 6 speed manuals ??

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/11, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, same transmission for both.
Old 7/30/11, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has there been any issues with the new Autos ??
Old 7/30/11, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
I have been locked out before, sometimes during a left hand turn. But you know what... I would be willing to bet that the "Skip-Shift" light was on when that happened, but I was just too busy looking at the road and not at the dash. When it has occured, I CALMLY went to N and then tried 2nd again. And wouldn't you know it went right in. Sometimes I go to 3rd or even 4th. This engine has the torque for that.

Your car will not slow down quickly enough for someone to rear end you, as jmatero and others on the NTSB complaints claim. In N, even at only 20mph or so, I can coast forever in this car without losing much speed. Those comments make me think these people are inexperienced in manual trans, and they simply keep trying to force in the gear instead of going to N and trying again or trying another gear. That or they don't understand that they can put our car into 4th at 20mph if necessary because they have the torque. But God forbid I suggest it may be user error, cause we all know those at the AFM thread are all manual experts with 35+ years of experience...
Having been in that situation myself and having driven manual transmission cars for 30 years, you are are not taking a number of things into account. First, when it happens, you are not thinking "oh well... Guess I'll just skip second and use third or fourth". You're trying to get somewhere quickly... Or merge... and human nature is such that you short circuit... And think "what the heck??????" and try again... All while cars are barreling down on you.

Second, you are assuming all of these owner's are revving up to very high RPMs in first. Try merging into an opening in freeway traffic... From a stop in first up to, say 3500 or even 4000 rpm... And wait a few seconds with the clutch in (simulating efforts to engage gears) then shift to 4 and gun it. You don't move very fast.

Third, here in California, most on-ramps are engineered with lights that force merges from a dead stop. And most of mine are up-hill.

Again, you can throw all that out the window and the reality is until it happens to you... Valuable seconds are wasted thinking "what the heck" and attempting to engage ANY gear. If I wanted to worry about merging onto a highway I would have purchased a Fiat 500 not a 400+ HP Mustang.

AND... You can throw all of THAT out the window and get down to brass tacks: we purchase manual transmissions to have control over our cars. When we depress the clutch pedal, the lever should go where we want it to. If that's not happening, it compromises our safety.

If you are in the San Jose area and want to know what it feels like, PLEASE come drive my car and within 10 seconds you'll understand why a car in this condition is unsafe... And why owners are telling the NHTSA the same thing.

Last edited by jmatero; 7/30/11 at 11:41 AM.
Old 7/30/11, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

The last time I visited California those **** red light on ramps pissed me off. I was driving a Toyota corolla at the time and it was insane to get up to traffic speeds in that bucket of bolts. Those lights, the traffic, the people, and the politics out there make me happy I'm a Floridian. Off topic. Lol
Old 7/30/11, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737
The last time I visited California those **** red light on ramps pissed me off. I was driving a Toyota corolla at the time and it was insane to get up to traffic speeds in that bucket of bolts. Those lights, the traffic, the people, and the politics out there make me happy I'm a Floridian. Off topic. Lol
LOL. I'm a transplanted NY'r so I'm with you!
Old 7/30/11, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmatero

LOL. I'm a transplanted NY'r so I'm with you!
Haha I'm an original NY'r as well.
Old 7/30/11, 03:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Nobody knows at this point, since the tranny is so new.

Like jaybert says, It's all under warranty, so why worry about it?

Just enjoy the car. If something goes wrong, have it fixed under warranty.
The warranty is only as good as the company's willingness to stand behind it... There are a number of horror stories of the well known grinding or hard shifting problems being "Normal for a high performance vehicle".... Puhlease... More disturbing is that of the affected transmissions, NONE has been permanently repaired.

Buying the MT82 is a crap shoot... most seem to be good to great, with a small number having significant to HUGE problems that are consistent and well documented...

The choice depends largely on your risk tolerance. I decided to gamble, and so far have won... others have not been so lucky. In any event, I would NOT make the decision based on assuming that Ford is willing to address the weaknesses in the MT82.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 7/30/11 at 03:14 PM.
Old 7/30/11, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Total gamble. There are folks that swear theirs are fine. Then we get one of these every day or so at AFM (this one just from this afternoon)

Everything that has been replaced in my car so far.. I took delivery in June of 2010, car now has a little over 21,000 miles on it..

-entire clutch assembly replaced at 6700 miles, along with the pedal, and master/slave cylinder assemblies.
- car goes back for internal trans problems and has all of the following replaced under warranty:

-br3z*7m000*b cone ring sunchronizer
-br3z*7107*f ring synchronizer
-br3z*7124*c hub synchronizer
-br3z*7m000*a cone and gear asy 5th speed
-br3z*7a010*a plug blanking
-br3z*7048*a seal input shaft
-br3z*7017*a shaft input
-br3z*7102*a gear mainshaft 2nd speed
-br3z*7107*c ring synchronizer
-br3z*7124*a hub synchronizer
-br3z*7107*a ring synchronizer
-br3z*7052*a seal asy oil
-br3z*7107*d ring synchronizer
-br3z*7107*b ring synchronizer
-br3z*7144*a gear 5th speed cluster
-br3z*7c031*c pin
-xt*m5*qs fluid
-adhesive
notes: test drive to confirm grinds going into 5th gear, removed trans and inspect found 2nd gear gear badly worn and5th gear badly worn, replaced 1-2 synchro and 5-6 synchro input shaft teeth worn replaced input shaft test drive confirm shift pattern.

-NOW the trans has a leak from a plug towards the rear of the trans mission leaking fluid all over the place, and just happends to be on back order from Ford now. I took the car in, they said they would call me as soon it came in.. trans has a loud whine all over again, and im sure its just a matter of time before this trans shoots craps again. I have since cancelled my extended warranty, the car is completely stock now, and will remain that way until my warranty is up.

Seems that Ford can issue a TSB saying we cant mod our cars at all, yet give us a ****ty trans OVER AND OVER w/ this car that cant een handle the 380whp this car makes. Im DONE dealing w/ Ford and this ****... When my warranty is up this POS trans is coming out and the T56 Magnum kit is going in. Sadley after rocking the blue oval for the past 15yrs, This WILL be the last Ford I buy, and my next sports car WILL be a Corvette.. I cant believe how Ford has cropped the ball and just let all this go and doesnt even give a **** about its LOYAL customers.. and everyone wonders why we all decided to buy imports.. its because they are dependable, and STAND BEHIND THIER PRODUCT!!!!!
Old 7/31/11, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Total gamble. There are folks that swear theirs are fine. Then we get one of these every day or so at AFM (this one just from this afternoon)
Everything that has been replaced in my car so far.. I took delivery in June of 2010, car now has a little over 21,000 miles on it..

-entire clutch assembly replaced at 6700 miles, along with the pedal, and master/slave cylinder assemblies.
- car goes back for internal trans problems and has all of the following replaced under warranty:

-br3z*7017*a shaft input
-br3z*7c031*c pin
-xt*m5*qs fluid
-adhesive
notes: test drive to confirm grinds going into 5th gear, removed trans and inspect found 2nd gear gear badly worn and5th gear badly worn, replaced 1-2 synchro and 5-6 synchro input shaft teeth worn replaced input shaft test drive confirm shift pattern.

-NOW the trans has a leak from a plug towards the rear of the trans mission leaking fluid all over the place, and just happends to be on back order from Ford now. I took the car in, they said they would call me as soon it came in.. trans has a loud whine all over again, and im sure its just a matter of time before this trans shoots craps again. I have since cancelled my extended warranty, the car is completely stock now, and will remain that way until my warranty is up.

Seems that Ford can issue a TSB saying we cant mod our cars at all, yet give us a ****ty trans OVER AND OVER w/ this car that cant een handle the 380whp this car makes. Im DONE dealing w/ Ford and this ****... When my warranty is up this POS trans is coming out and the T56 Magnum kit is going in. Sadley after rocking the blue oval for the past 15yrs, This WILL be the last Ford I buy, and my next sports car WILL be a Corvette.. I cant believe how Ford has cropped the ball and just let all this go and doesnt even give a **** about its LOYAL customers.. and everyone wonders why we all decided to buy imports.. its because they are dependable, and STAND BEHIND THIER PRODUCT!!!!!

Where in this is Ford not backing up their warranty? Stinks about the part not being available, and the probability of nicking a seal on installation or rebuild, but they didn't tell him to take a hike. Mine isn't perfect, and sometimes makes a terrible noise when shifting at very low speeds and rpm, but it works and most of the time is perfect.

Please also don't take this personally, it's not an attack at you. I'm a pilot, sometimes, it requires some skill and reaction under pressure where a wrong move or a second or two of 'freaking out' or wondering 'what was that?', in the middle of an event could result in catastrophic results. This means that people who inherently have those reactions when those moments arrive, shouldn't put themselves in the cockpit. Some very intelligent people have those reactions when something happens beyond what was expected. I think it is a more mature, more responsible, intelligent individual, who has the forethought to avoid putting themselves in that position.

I agree that Ford should be responsible for honoring their warranty to the best of their ability. It seems logical to me that if they initially knew what the cause of the issues were, they would have a solution that would work for everyone. It makes sense that it takes time to come up with a solution, as every car is driven and treated differently. Climate, storage and driving habits will all have some affect.

I do however firmly believe that people should handle some responsibility themselves in regard to your safety concern. My fiancee is a person that does not react well to those situations, where in the moment, she thinks about what is going on and not understanding it, rather than focusing on correcting the situation immediately.
Watch some Navy Seal training during 'drown proofing' to see a more extreme example. Some people react to the failure and focus on that. Others just work on the solution. She knows to buy a car with an automatic and good stability control to aid her in driving safely. People who inherently respond like that, should take some personal responsibility to do the same, and stay out of the cockpit, and buy an automatic.

Again it's not a personal knock, but a question everyone should ask themselves. Not everyone possesses the skills to ride motorcycles safely. It is their responsibility to stay off of one.
Old 7/31/11, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wonger

-br3z*7017*a shaft input
-br3z*7c031*c pin
-xt*m5*qs fluid
-adhesive

Where in this is Ford not backing up their warranty? Stinks about the part not being available, and the probability of nicking a seal on installation or rebuild, but they didn't tell him to take a hike. Mine isn't perfect, and sometimes makes a terrible noise when shifting at very low speeds and rpm, but it works and most of the time is perfect.

Please also don't take this personally, it's not an attack at you. I'm a pilot, sometimes, it requires some skill and reaction under pressure where a wrong move or a second or two of 'freaking out' or wondering 'what was that?', in the middle of an event could result in catastrophic results. This means that people who inherently have those reactions when those moments arrive, shouldn't put themselves in the cockpit. Some very intelligent people have those reactions when something happens beyond what was expected. I think it is a more mature, more responsible, intelligent individual, who has the forethought to avoid putting themselves in that position.

I agree that Ford should be responsible for honoring their warranty to the best of their ability. It seems logical to me that if they initially knew what the cause of the issues were, they would have a solution that would work for everyone. It makes sense that it takes time to come up with a solution, as every car is driven and treated differently. Climate, storage and driving habits will all have some affect.

I do however firmly believe that people should handle some responsibility themselves in regard to your safety concern. My fiancee is a person that does not react well to those situations, where in the moment, she thinks about what is going on and not understanding it, rather than focusing on correcting the situation immediately.
Watch some Navy Seal training during 'drown proofing' to see a more extreme example. Some people react to the failure and focus on that. Others just work on the solution. She knows to buy a car with an automatic and good stability control to aid her in driving safely. People who inherently respond like that, should take some personal responsibility to do the same, and stay out of the cockpit, and buy an automatic.

Again it's not a personal knock, but a question everyone should ask themselves. Not everyone possesses the skills to ride motorcycles safely. It is their responsibility to stay off of one.

Old 7/31/11, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Agreed. I'm I pilot as well and couldnt agree with you more there. Some of the filings to NHTSA really are a little silly.
Old 7/31/11, 03:54 PM
GT Member

Thank you for posting this. A few posts above he tried to tell me that people panicing and thinking "What the heck?" somehow rids them of the reponsibility of driving. With every manual transmission in history there is the chance of hitting the gate, releasing the clutch too fast, or the synchros not quite lining up and getting locked out. It is the responsibility of the driver to deal with these scenarios and to not put themselves in situations where a second or two of coasting with the clutch in will not cause an accident.

I am done with jmatero. I hope he gets his car lemoned and it sucks he got a bad one, but I have the feeling this will not be the last car he is unhappy with. If you make a valid point, but said point disagrees with his pov, he will make excuses and try to claim that a few extreme examples like his are the norm. You can't have a discussion with someone who is so emotionally invested in his pov being proven right.
Old 7/31/11, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

This really isn't a knock on jmatero or any single person, but as mentioned above, the more towards the argument of the safety hazard panic. I'm interested in reading the details of the Toyota case as an aside to this same topic of what I'll call 'panic freeze'.
Old 8/1/11, 12:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Thank you for posting this. A few posts above he tried to tell me that people panicing and thinking "What the heck?" somehow rids them of the reponsibility of driving. With every manual transmission in history there is the chance of hitting the gate, releasing the clutch too fast, or the synchros not quite lining up and getting locked out. It is the responsibility of the driver to deal with these scenarios and to not put themselves in situations where a second or two of coasting with the clutch in will not cause an accident.

I am done with jmatero. I hope he gets his car lemoned and it sucks he got a bad one, but I have the feeling this will not be the last car he is unhappy with. If you make a valid point, but said point disagrees with his pov, he will make excuses and try to claim that a few extreme examples like his are the norm. You can't have a discussion with someone who is so emotionally invested in his pov being proven right.
Amazing... You are extremely ignorant when it comes to the magnitude of this issue.

Do yourself a favor and pretend you never heard of me... And my car... And read the reports in this thread:

OFFICIAL 2011/2012 MANUAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM THREAD

Most Stang owners with transmission issues who want info on the latest parts, TSB's, conversations with Ford Service folks, etc go there.

You'll forget all about me very quickly and either change your opinion or go into a state of denial.

There's a reason that thread... Which focuses on a car Ford only produced about 26,000 of... Has over 342,000 hits, and 5,400 posts from over 600 unique individuals all claiming their cars are not shifting correctly... Or at all... And Ford has yet to fix ANY of them. Not a SINGLE OWNER has posted in almost 5,400 posts that Ford returned their car to the condition it was in when they took delivery.

I'll say it again... I invite you to go to that thread and spew the venom at all of those owners you are spewing at me here. Or, you can keep on shooting me and hiding in your cave. Your choice. Facts are facts. Anyone here who thinks I'm the only one in this boat or that my case is the minority is mistaken. I'm not going to keep on posting story after story here... Read them at the link for yourselves. Don't take my word for it... Read yourself.

It should also be noted that Ford Customer Service stopped posting there after it was discovered they were casting "NO PROBLEM" votes in the "Transmission issues poll". Coincidence?

Last edited by jmatero; 8/1/11 at 12:33 AM.
Old 8/1/11, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
600 out of 26000 cars. That's not a bad percentage and that's the way Ford looks at it.
Old 8/1/11, 09:17 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you guys want to keep going back and forth with each other use the PM feature.
Old 8/1/11, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Old 8/1/11, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by blackgt87
You can lock my thread ...IF... we get updates on a fix for this problem....
Old 8/1/11, 01:39 PM
V6 Member

lol...

Amazing... You are extremely ignorant when it comes to the magnitude of this issue.

Do yourself a favor and pretend you never heard of me... And my car... And read the reports in this thread:

OFFICIAL 2011/2012 MANUAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM THREAD

Most Stang owners with transmission issues who want info on the latest parts, TSB's, conversations with Ford Service folks, etc go there.

You'll forget all about me very quickly and either change your opinion or go into a state of denial.

There's a reason that thread... Which focuses on a car Ford only produced about 26,000 of... Has over 342,000 hits, and 5,400 posts from over 600 unique individuals all claiming their cars are not shifting correctly... Or at all... And Ford has yet to fix ANY of them. Not a SINGLE OWNER has posted in almost 5,400 posts that Ford returned their car to the condition it was in when they took delivery.

I'll say it again... I invite you to go to that thread and spew the venom at all of those owners you are spewing at me here. Or, you can keep on shooting me and hiding in your cave. Your choice. Facts are facts. Anyone here who thinks I'm the only one in this boat or that my case is the minority is mistaken. I'm not going to keep on posting story after story here... Read them at the link for yourselves. Don't take my word for it... Read yourself.

It should also be noted that Ford Customer Service stopped posting there after it was discovered they were casting "NO PROBLEM" votes in the "Transmission issues poll". Coincidence?
Old 8/1/11, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
lol...
... don't get the humor... does that mean you don't intend to attack all of the other owners like me? That would be fantastic news!

Quick Reply: The 2011 6 speed manuals ??