2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

The 2011 6 speed manuals ??

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/11, 05:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Jethro
I have driven 3 track prepped 05-07 Mustangs, all with "new" replacement 6 speed manual transmissions from the 2011 GT installed on the 4.6 V8.
Who put the M82s in them and why?
Old 7/18/11, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Swamp Dweller
Every manual car I have driven, or owned has had it's moments...notchy gear engagement here and there, won't go into first a few times, etc. It is the nature of the beast, and I love it. They do tend to loosen up over time a bit.

I do believe though that there are a lot of inexperienced stick drivers getting these cars and as soon as somebody says something about a notchy shift, there is this "Yeah, me too" mentality that seems to take over

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
Old 7/18/11, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Who put the M82s in them and why?

Race track owners who own the cars....replaced due to original 5 speeds wearing out after 3 + years of track duty.

Last edited by Jethro; 7/18/11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 7/19/11, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Overall I don't like the tranny in this car, everything about the car is great and I have been a stang fan since I can remember. But this tranny Isn't my favorite, I have a 500 hp Honda that has a 93 Acura tranny in it and it get mistreated on a regular basis, no problems yet, I know its been built up a bit but overall it's just a way better transmission. Still love my stang more though, it's not as fast but it's way more comfortable and the stereo kicks ***, better looking as well. I wouldn't go back and change anything

Last edited by hahnsolo78; 7/19/11 at 07:48 AM.
Old 7/19/11, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jethro
I have driven 3 track prepped 05-07 Mustangs, all with "new" replacement 6 speed manual transmissions from the 2011 GT installed on the 4.6 V8. 2 of the 3 were grinding and wouldn't go into first gear without dropping to second first (not a problem on this particular track because it's 3-4-5 for the most part). One of them popped out of 3rd in a corner when I released the clutch - even after RPM matching. One of the 3 was flawless but it had less than an hour of track time on it. The shifting action of the 2 problematic ones was fairly squishy and sloppy....not fun.
I doubt they used the MT82... it will not easily bolt to a 4.6. Most 2005-2010 V8 owners installing a six-speeds buy the Tremec TR6060 kits from D&D

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...58cPath=108_95

Old 7/19/11, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmatero

I doubt they used the MT82... it will not easily bolt to a 4.6. Most 2005-2010 V8 owners installing a six-speeds buy the Tremec TR6060 kits from D&D

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...58cPath=108_95
And from what I hear why would they want to put that tranny on a 10 lol.
Old 7/19/11, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, if you were looking for a 6-speed for the track, the TR6060 would be the best transmission available for the job. However, with regard to the "transmission from the 2011 Mustang" that would be accurate as the GT500 and Boss 302R/S ship with the TR6060.
Old 7/19/11, 12:40 PM

It seems ridiculous to me to buy into the internet rumors about this transmission. My car was in the shop and did get transmission repairs twice, for a total of 6 days and the problems were fixed under warranty. So why the hell are people worried? Quit over analyzing the petty shyat.
Old 7/19/11, 12:42 PM

I'll ask them when I'm out again next week. I just get in and drive ;-). I don't ask a pile of questions.
Old 7/19/11, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11stgGT
It seems ridiculous to me to buy into the internet rumors about this transmission. My car was in the shop and did get transmission repairs twice, for a total of 6 days and the problems were fixed under warranty. So why the hell are people worried? Quit over analyzing the petty shyat.
"Internet rumors"? We're averaging 12 new 2011/2012 owners a week joining up and posting at the tranny thread about their cars at AFM and 5 new reports per week to the NHTSA. Today alone we had new posts from two owner's with recently-replaced transmissions that failed again, another with a car in the shop 58 days... And the problem not fixed, and another who can't get ford customer care to return his calls after multiple repairs failed.

Seriously?
Old 7/19/11, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

i just looked at the poll on afm. i had no idea it was that prevelant.
Old 7/19/11, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by trick25
i just looked at the poll on afm. i had no idea it was that prevelant.
The thread there also has over 550 individual owners who have posted since November. Over 5000 posts and over 328,000 hits.

That's not "Internet rumors"

Last edited by jmatero; 7/19/11 at 09:42 PM.
Old 7/19/11, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

The thread there also has over 550 individual owners posting there as well... Over 5000 posts total and over 328,000 hits.
dang i was going to order one in the winter as a gift to myself for being at my present job 10 years. i may just look for a 2010 if they dont find a solution soon

Last edited by trick25; 7/19/11 at 09:44 PM.
Old 7/19/11, 11:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by trick25

dang i was going to order one in the winter as a gift to myself for being at my present job 10 years. i may just look for a 2010 if they dont find a solution soon
Get an automatic with a Steeda cai/ tune. It's sick.
Attached Thumbnails The 2011 6 speed manuals ??-img_20110530_135912-1.jpg  
Old 7/20/11, 01:01 AM

Recruiting

Matero, you taking your holy crusade on the road now? Anybody who ever has a notchy shift, lets get together and sue Ford.

Just to sum up his position: been through how many clutches, pressure plates, bearings, slave cylinders? ....They were all crap. Now on third transmission...they are all bad. Ford told him to *&%# off, he now trolls the internet recruiting members to his crusade that they need to extract a pound or two of flesh from Ford. Matero's thought is that Ford should have put in a Tremec 6 spd, but what are you going to tell the guys on the Camaro forums who are crying about their crappy Tremec?

So now, day and night he trolls the entire internet with his crusade, no life, just anti Ford. Now, you don't need a thousand posts here,like the other forum. When good information and objectivity turn into what you do, it's a shame. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 7/20/11, 04:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I read AFM a long time ago. I ordered a manual GT anyways. Just as I thought it would be, it is fine. I love this car. Sure there are some real problems, but there are also a large amount of people jumping on the bandwagon. The problem should be dealt with, but it is also being way overblown. Manual transmissions are never as easy as autos. They always have a certain personality to them that you need to get to know. If you can't do that, buy an auto and stop blaming your problems on others. My 6 speed is great. Best car I have ever owned. Some people have problems that really need to be fixed, but there are also a lot of people whining about this without cause.
Old 7/20/11, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

i see what you are saying guys. i know ford is trying to figure out the problem. they usually do. you just have to be patient i guess.
Old 7/21/11, 02:40 PM
V6 Member

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. I have one and the wife has one. They have both been flawless cars. I do see over 5000 posts over at AFM but a good bit of them are off topic and do not talk about the actual problem. There are a handful of folks that have had trannys replaced but most of the complaints are with notchy shifting which I really don't consider an issue. Also, on the NTSB website, some of the few complaints are down right funny. Have any of you read them? I also like how Matero says to call Ford before you buy a car and express your concern about the transmission issue. That was also kinda funny with me. I'll bet that if Matero ever gets what he wants you will never see him on the forum again...
Old 7/21/11, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Swamp Dweller
Matero, you taking your holy crusade on the road now? Anybody who ever has a notchy shift, lets get together and sue Ford.

Just to sum up his position: been through how many clutches, pressure plates, bearings, slave cylinders? ....They were all crap. Now on third transmission...they are all bad. Ford told him to *&%# off, he now trolls the internet recruiting members to his crusade that they need to extract a pound or two of flesh from Ford. Matero's thought is that Ford should have put in a Tremec 6 spd, but what are you going to tell the guys on the Camaro forums who are crying about their crappy Tremec?

So now, day and night he trolls the entire internet with his crusade, no life, just anti Ford. Now, you don't need a thousand posts here,like the other forum. When good information and objectivity turn into what you do, it's a shame. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Wow. You've got the story VERY wrong here. And the complaints about the TR6060 in the Camaro are very few compared to what's happening with the MT82. Have you read the AFM thread lately? ALL of those people... ALL of them... are on crusades? Multiple transmissions reported there weekly. Multiple clutches at low miles. Seriously? I'm not on a crusade... neither are they. Everyone complaining about this simply wants Ford to return their cars to the condition they were in when they took delivery. With all due respect, you have your head in the sand with this one.

Last edited by jmatero; 7/21/11 at 11:00 PM.
Old 7/22/11, 05:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow. You've got the story VERY wrong here. And the complaints about the TR6060 in the Camaro are very few compared to what's happening with the MT82. Have you read the AFM thread lately? ALL of those people... ALL of them... are on crusades? Multiple transmissions reported there weekly. Multiple clutches at low miles. Seriously? I'm not on a crusade... neither are they. Everyone complaining about this simply wants Ford to return their cars to the condition they were in when they took delivery. With all due respect, you have your head in the sand with this one.
I hope I'm not confusing what the actual problem could be but I really have no clue what people really are complaining about besides some defective trannys that got out. My car is a little inconsistent with it's shifting giving some resistance into gear and sometimes not, but from my experience with the car I learned to drive manuals on, I understood all manual trannys to be a little inconsistent. My dads 68 Camaro RS/SS would give everyone a fit on AFM who has complained about notchy shifting. I understand that you have had some serious problems but I think notchy and defective tranny are being associated to closely on these forums.

I still suspect that your car may have some form of driveline alignment problem causing it to blow tranny after tranny while other peoples cars are getting out there without a single drivetrain problem. I wish all the best for you though and hopefully you get your car sorted out.

Quick Reply: The 2011 6 speed manuals ??