2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

The 2011 6 speed manuals ??

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/11, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmatero
I beg to differ considering the numbers of PMs and emails I get from owners daily. Currently, owners are in the process of setting up appointments with the NHTSA to have their cars inspected by their engineers. Let's see what they uncover.

Ok, so what ever happened to that ABC news story you said was to be done?
Old 7/28/11, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
Ok, so what ever happened to that ABC news story you said was to be done?
It's in production now. I have a phone call scheduled for 4:30 with the producers for an update.

If you want more information, contact Chris.Cuomo@abc.com or producer Gerry.Wagschal@abc.com for details.

Last edited by jmatero; 7/28/11 at 12:00 PM.
Old 7/28/11, 01:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
LOL... my transmission was super notchy on my way into work this morning...didn't really notice it until I was 20 miles from home so it's not related to the transmission being cold. We'll see how it is when I drive home.

I'm bringing my car in for an early oil change Saturday...I'll get it on the record.
Old 7/28/11, 02:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
I have had no problems.
Old 7/29/11, 06:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
LOL... my transmission was super notchy on my way into work this morning...didn't really notice it until I was 20 miles from home so it's not related to the transmission being cold. We'll see how it is when I drive home.

I'm bringing my car in for an early oil change Saturday...I'll get it on the record.
So it felt OKAY on the way home... but now I'm looking for it. Once you're flat out denied entry into 2nd gear, you stop trusting the transmission.

I only had the momentary 2nd gear shift balk once...but I will report it tomorrow. My car has 6,600 miles on it and it seems like quite a few of you guys had problems crop up around this point.

Still my favorite car I have ever owned.
Old 7/29/11, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
So it felt OKAY on the way home... but now I'm looking for it. Once you're flat out denied entry into 2nd gear, you stop trusting the transmission.

I only had the momentary 2nd gear shift balk once...but I will report it tomorrow. My car has 6,600 miles on it and it seems like quite a few of you guys had problems crop up around this point.

Still my favorite car I have ever owned.
You said notchy...not exaclty the same thing as being denied 2nd gear. It sounds like you just experianced skip shift the way it's meant to be.

Oh....and notchy is not a problem. There are tons of cars with notchy transmissions that never have any issues at all.

Last edited by falhulk; 7/29/11 at 12:28 PM.
Old 7/29/11, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by falhulk
You said notchy...not exaclty the same thing as being denied 2nd gear. It sounds like you just experianced skip shift the way it's meant to be.

Oh....and notchy is not a problem. There are tons of cars with notchy transmissions that never have any issues at all.
I do experience the 1-2 notchiness from time to time, but i have yet to experience the 2nd gear denied entry. My friend just across the sreet has the same car and also gets the notchiness and second gear popping out.
Old 7/29/11, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

We have an owner now at AFM who had a transmission replaced and the new one is still grinding and locking him out of gear. Same boat as me and others. He contacted Ford Customer Relations looking for help when his dealer and Customer Care ran out of options and got the following voicemail message from Ford: (Download below)

Unbelievable.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
mustang.mp3.zip (559.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 7/29/11, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

that is ridiculous....it is not normal for it to grind....high performance or not.

i dont have a horse in this race but come on.
Old 7/29/11, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

"I spoke to a Ford technician and there are fewer teeth on the clutch"

Uh....... WHAT????

Well, at least it's clear now that the message we're all getting from our service departments aligns with Ford Corporate's take on this. "Deal with it... it's normal for this car... BUT... if it gets WORSE bring it in"

Geez
Old 7/29/11, 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ford, If your are going to blow smoke, at least get someone who can make up something that is techncially believable! That voice mail was a sad example of what's wrong with business today. I realize she was "only following orders", but come on...
Old 7/29/11, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you guys see this post over on allfordmustangs. What most have been saying all along. Bad Fluid. Has me really interested in switching over away from synthetic fluid. Just some good insight into what the problem could be.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-post5364.html

Hey there everyone,

I have been researching this issue for sometime now, and I think that I can offer at least a bit of information as to what is causing this issue and how I might be able to help a bit.

The Getrag gearbox uses a triple synchronizer set up, which consists of a inner cone ring, middle friction ring, and outer synchronizer ring. These rings are designed to work together to either speed up or slow down the gear depending on what is needed. ie either up shifting, or down shifting.

If for some reason the gear does not match up speed wise you get a grind as the operating sleeve makes contact with the gears dog ring. There are a couple of reasons why this can happen.

1) The gear oil does not have enough viscosity. A lot of synthetic oils as simply too slick and there is not enough friction generated quickly enough for the gear to match speed. We have seen this in the past with other similar Getrag synchronizer setups.

2) The clutch is not fully disengaging from the flywheel, which leaves the gear shafts to continue to spin even when the clutch is supposed to be disengaged. The synchronizer is not designed to work this way and again simply can not handle the work load and you get a grind.

From some of the pictures that I have seen regarding the actual damage done internally to the MT-82 transmission, I would say that these are the possible issues that need to be addressed. So the real question here is what can be done to correct this?

Well that is where things get a bit tricky. First of all there is a warranty issue to consider. While I know that Ford is not really going out of their way to correct this particular issue, there maybe others that would come up that would not be covered if they discovered that you had voided your warranty in some way.

The other issue is that if the damage is done, then it is done. The pictures that I have seen showed that several of the dog teeth on the gear face had been sheered away. This is caused when you pull too hard trying to get the car into gear and ran the operating sleeve into the dog ring while the gear was still spinning. If this has occurred then the dog ring will need to be replaced, at a minimum, and there could possibly be additional damage done internally from the pieces moving around the gearbox before they could be grabbed up by the internal magnet.

However, if the damage is minimal, then there may some fairly easy solutions available. The first one is obvious I would imagine. Replace the gear oil with a better solution, one that was designed to work with this type of synchronizer system. NOT SYNTHETIC, or at least not the ones currently being used. I do not wish to sound like I am promoting a particular oil, and I am not selling anything here, but if you would like a suggestion, PM me and we can talk at bit more about this.

The second solution would be to use a more aggressive friction ring to help increase the performance of this setup. This is what I may be able to offer to everyone in the future, but not currently, as I have yet to find a gearbox to diagnose and test on yet. There is a drawback to consider here with regard to this solution. Shifting will be a bit notchy, and may require a slightly quicker shift. Here is why this happens.

When you go to a more aggressive friction ring, the synchronizer will at time still not quite line up with the dog ring. The gear will be at the correct speed, but because the synchronizer is holding the gear with more force it will not allow the two pieces to easily slip into each other. You will not experience any grinding, but actual engagement maybe a bit notchy and a bit of pressure on the stick maybe needed to get the gear and operating sleeve to mesh up.

If this is a clutch issue, to where the clutch friction disc is not fully disengaging from the flywheel then there is another area that would need to be addressed.

The throw out bearing on this gearbox appears to be hydraulically actuated rather than moved via a release fork. If the TO bearing is not getting full throw then it is not completely disengaging the clutch, and this will certainly cause shifting issues. This could be something as simple as contaminated hydraulic fluid, or seal leak, or simply the wrong diameter Master Cylinder. There are a lot of possibilities for this one. I would check them all.

The easiest way that I can think of would be to turn the car off. Select 1st gear and make sure that it is fully engaged. Push the clutch in and hold it to the ground while starting the car. DO NOT RELEASE the clutch pedal. Let the car idle for a couple of seconds and see if you can smoothly engage 1st gear. Since you have not engaged the clutch since selecting 1st gear while the car was off, the gear shafts should not have moved and you should be able to smoothly select 1st gear.

You can also do this another way, both should work fine. With the car running and out of gear, push the clutch in and wait 5 seconds for any movement of the gear shafts to stop, try to select 1st gear as you normally would. There may be some resistance as the operating sleeve meshes up to the dog ring, but there should not be any grinding.

If you do hear grinding, then the issue here is inside the clutch and may not be an issue with the gearbox. This is not to say that there is not a problem with both however.

I really hope that this information is at least a bit helpful. I would really like to try to find a solution for everyone on this, as when it works correctly the Getrag units are typically some of the best shifting gearboxes around.

Feel free to PM me any questions you might have.

Erik Johnson

Last edited by flySWA737; 7/29/11 at 10:03 PM.
Old 7/29/11, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is all very fascinating. I am literally going to laugh if this is found to be a design issue as opposed to being 'terrible Chinese build quality'.
Old 7/29/11, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx
This is all very fascinating. I am literally going to laugh if this is found to be a design issue as opposed to being 'terrible Chinese build quality'.
I agree. I really think that the solution is going to be something so stupid that I believe everyone will get some form of laugh out of it.
Old 7/30/11, 12:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just got my 2012 today and I LOVE my MT82!! Shifts like BUTTER!! So smooth, so easy to shift, I could probably do it with 1 finger. Its really a blast to drive.

And LOL @ people who think skip shift is the trans being messed up. You know theres a little message on the dash that tells you when the skip shift engages and says shift from 1-4 for fuel economy.
Old 7/30/11, 03:11 AM
V6 Member

I've made that point before. To me, it is hard to notice that message. It is very unobtrusive. I asked my wife if she ever had any issues getting her car to go into gear. She told me that she did. We went for a drive and guess what? Every time that she had an issue, the SS light was on. I mentioned this in another thread and immediately was told by some loon "I'll mention no names" that people know it's not a SS problem. All I did was simply suggest that it could be something that folks are calling an issue. I believe that if my wife does not know then there are others. I sure see a lot of locked out of second gear complaints.

Originally Posted by blackgt87
Just got my 2012 today and I LOVE my MT82!! Shifts like BUTTER!! So smooth, so easy to shift, I could probably do it with 1 finger. Its really a blast to drive.

And LOL @ people who think skip shift is the trans being messed up. You know theres a little message on the dash that tells you when the skip shift engages and says shift from 1-4 for fuel economy.
Old 7/30/11, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never been locked out of second, even when that message has come up. I agree though that there should be the option of a sound or ding when skip shift activates because I don't spend my time staring at the gauge cluster, I try to look at the road. :-)
Old 7/30/11, 08:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx
I have never been locked out of second, even when that message has come up. I agree though that there should be the option of a sound or ding when skip shift activates because I don't spend my time staring at the gauge cluster, I try to look at the road. :-)
I have been locked out before, sometimes during a left hand turn. But you know what... I would be willing to bet that the "Skip-Shift" light was on when that happened, but I was just too busy looking at the road and not at the dash. When it has occured, I CALMLY went to N and then tried 2nd again. And wouldn't you know it went right in. Sometimes I go to 3rd or even 4th. This engine has the torque for that.

Your car will not slow down quickly enough for someone to rear end you, as jmatero and others on the NTSB complaints claim. In N, even at only 20mph or so, I can coast forever in this car without losing much speed. Those comments make me think these people are inexperienced in manual trans, and they simply keep trying to force in the gear instead of going to N and trying again or trying another gear. That or they don't understand that they can put our car into 4th at 20mph if necessary because they have the torque. But God forbid I suggest it may be user error, cause we all know those at the AFM thread are all manual experts with 35+ years of experience...
Old 7/30/11, 09:07 AM
GT Member

I have also had a few thoughts lately... One being, Who can honestly blame Ford for being skeptical about transmission failures? Lets face it, this car in its glorious history, is known for its track and drag strip prowess. It's almost a guarantee that a high number of owners are going to take their new 400+hp monsters straight from the lots to the tracks. This includes power shifting and dumping the clutch at high RPMs. Those transmissions will inevietably fail, with the owners heading straight to their dealership claiming they did none of the above and their transmission simply imploded. I am sure those at Ford expect this scenario and act accordingly. And I ask again, who can blame Ford for acting as they have, skeptically, over transmission failures? Honestly? Please tell me if you think I am off base here...
Old 7/30/11, 10:14 AM

WOW ...page 8... I just thought this is a question couple answers thread ... BUT .... I was wondering if this is the same transmission that is in the V6 Mustangs and is anyone hearing of the same problems ???... thanks for all the great feedback ...

Quick Reply: The 2011 6 speed manuals ??