2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

The 2011 6 speed manuals ??

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/11, 05:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to illustrate how a few Internet complaints exaggerate a problem, there is actually a poll on another mustang forum asking about this. When I last checked over 90-95% had no issues with their manual transmission. I have almost 27k miles and the only thing I have noticed is that on cold mornings getting into reverse or 1st is a little tougher than normal. I think there is a TSB for that though and they switch out the Hydraulic fluid.
Old 6/29/11, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Just to illustrate how a few Internet complaints exaggerate a problem, there is actually a poll on another mustang forum asking about this. When I last checked over 90-95% had no issues with their manual transmission. I have almost 27k miles and the only thing I have noticed is that on cold mornings getting into reverse or 1st is a little tougher than normal. I think there is a TSB for that though and they switch out the Hydraulic fluid.
Mine occasionally will be a little (and I mean little) tougher getting into reverse or 2nd but does it bother me, no. Car just acts that way and I've gotten used to it pretty quick. No grinds or lockouts, just a little more effort. Hey, every car has it's own personality so to speak.
Old 6/29/11, 07:55 AM
V6 Member

So has anyone on here come up with any fixes for the 1-2-3 notchy shifts? I have a new 2012 with 400 miles on it and the 1-2 is really irritating, it doesnt sound good either. Its like a crunch when changing gear. Never grinds or misses just notchy and doesn't feel like the rest of the gears. I put the Barton bracket in and it tightened the shifting up but now it seems the noise is more pronounced with it. (which I was aware you will hear a little more w/the bracket). Anyone got any fixes that work yet? I know Ford doesn't.
Old 6/29/11, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by generalee31184
So has anyone on here come up with any fixes for the 1-2-3 notchy shifts? I have a new 2012 with 400 miles on it and the 1-2 is really irritating, it doesnt sound good either. Its like a crunch when changing gear. Never grinds or misses just notchy and doesn't feel like the rest of the gears. I put the Barton bracket in and it tightened the shifting up but now it seems the noise is more pronounced with it. (which I was aware you will hear a little more w/the bracket). Anyone got any fixes that work yet? I know Ford doesn't.
Not that I've heard of. My car does exactly the same and doesn't really bother me. That 1-2 shift is noisy but doesn't really feel like anything is wrong.
Old 6/29/11, 08:17 AM
V6 Member

I'm curious as to the tranny fluid change if that would do anything or if mine already has the TSB fluid in it or not. I stopped at my two closest Ford dealers yesterday and neither one says they have had problems with any mustangs. Of course they only sell maybe 5-10 a year if that. All they said was there is that TSB but have not even done any yet. From what I read it probably wont do anything anyhow.
Old 6/29/11, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm curious as to the tranny fluid change if that would do anything or if mine already has the TSB fluid in it or not. I stopped at my two closest Ford dealers yesterday and neither one says they have had problems with any mustangs. Of course they only sell maybe 5-10 a year if that. All they said was there is that TSB but have not even done any yet. From what I read it probably wont do anything anyhow.
I've read that the fluid swap causes an almost guaranteed gear whine when changed. The way I look at it is if ford actually finds out which part in the tranny is causing the noise and slight resistance, redesigns it, and issues a TSB in the future, then it's a plus for all of us but for now, it's not really a bad problem. It's just noise and a funny feeling and I think it is easy to ignore.

Actually when you drive the car hard, that 1-2 shift smooths out. Weird enough! I think the car actually likes being driven hard!

We have nothing to worry about and if it's a problem and their working on it then it's a plus for all of us anyway. Let's just enjoy the great car that ford has built!!! Tear up the road!!! Lol
Old 6/29/11, 09:36 AM
V6 Member

O yeah, I do love my car and am enjoying it! It is a blast to drive. I just hate that feel and sound. I could care less if the tranny grenades as thats what warranties are for lol. I just hate that feel.
Old 6/29/11, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Well that's good. Yeah it's a weird feel but I may be biased when it comes to the feel cause I learned on a rock crusher of a tranny in my dads 68 camaro.
Old 6/30/11, 12:25 AM
GT Member

yep,

lots of info good and bad.

i did a poll not here, but relevant.. to all reading if you have a mustang take the time to read and vote...

tranny issues?

note, if you have serious issues vote bad issues. everything else is non ntsb reported kinda stuff.

beers
Old 6/30/11, 06:25 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi generalee31184,

Have you brought this up to your dealer’s attention? I’d like to escalate this for you and help you get it resolved. Could you please message me with your VIN, contact info, and dealer?

Deysha
Old 6/30/11, 06:32 AM
V6 Member

Thanks Deysha, I actually just stopped back in to the dealer I bought it from yesterday. The service guy there took my info and said he is going to look into it. They stated they have not had any reports of this that he can think of so far. But we do live in upstate NY and its not like any of our dealers sell 50 Mustangs a year or something so chances are they are not seeing or hearing about it. I will get my info to you asap. thanks again!
Old 6/30/11, 08:11 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks Deysha, I actually just stopped back in to the dealer I bought it from yesterday. The service guy there took my info and said he is going to look into it. They stated they have not had any reports of this that he can think of so far. But we do live in upstate NY and its not like any of our dealers sell 50 Mustangs a year or something so chances are they are not seeing or hearing about it. I will get my info to you asap. thanks again!
No problem, I'll wait on your pm.

Deysha
Old 7/1/11, 12:12 PM
V6 Member

So im driving my car around today and it seems to not be shifting too bad at all. Not sure why. I did plug skip shift back in this morning even though I never had it activate prior. It is pretty warm out today finally around here dont know if that has anything to do with it. Dont know!
Old 7/3/11, 07:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
No issues, none, zilch...I have one as does the wife. I will be selling mine when I return from my current deployment. Not because of worry or issues but because I bought another car I like better.
A car you like better than the all new 2011 Mustang? Must be one hellofa car.
Old 7/3/11, 08:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

I for one will not sweat these gearbox issues. I admit 1-2 is a bit crunchy when cold. Should this transmission eat itself before or after the warranty runs out (big mistake not getting extended warranty) I'll replace it with a better tranny and that will be that. I'm just going to enjoy this car, drive it like it is a rental, and if/when it breaks I'll deal with that then.
Old 7/3/11, 11:10 AM
Cobra R Member

warranty warranty warranty....
Old 7/3/11, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I drove a new one (2K miles) and it shifted worse than my tr3650. Way more clunky and nothchy. It was not worth a ^%$#. Dont tell me there are not problems.

The warranty is not worth the paper its written on either. People with problems are not getting them solved. Ford acts like this does not exist but it does. Thats what bothers me and has run me off.

Buy a Mustang with a Mt82 and its a gamble. You are taking a chance. Chances are you wont get burned but there is still the chance. I wont touch one new or used and that kills resale as well.

My disappointment in all of this is how Ford has handled it. They have blown it off. That does not set well with me and may cost them future purchases non Mustang related. The bean counters are obviously running the company now a days and its going to come back to bite them if they are not real careful.
Old 7/3/11, 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
My disappointment in all of this is how Ford has handled it. They have blown it off. That does not set well with me and may cost them future purchases non Mustang related. The bean counters are obviously running the company now a days and its going to come back to bite them if they are not real careful.

How do you know they have "blown on it off"? Remember the 1999 Cobra, the T3650 rebuild kits, the new Cobra radiators for the '97s when the 96s were marginal, the 3V 4.6 heads that were updated in 2008 because of 2-piece spark plugs breaking when being changed etc., etc.? There was a time lag between when the data showed up and when the fixes were issued - usually 12-15 months from my recollections. Frankly, people NOT taking their cars into their dealers and NOT logging an issue are probably doing a disservice to the larger community, since the engineering staff is looking at the service information to make their determinations on where to focus their precious resources. If they don't have data, I maintain it would make the decision to work on this less likely.

There will ALWAYS be a tension between engineering and cost accounting because if there wasn't, we wouldn't get $40,000 Mustangs that perform in the realm of $60,000 BMW M3s. Engineers pushed that through the system, which tells me that product makes a difference to Ford, in general.

If I were to guess what's going on, I suspect there are some Ford engineers working with their Getrag contacts in correcting either a design or manufacturing issue (or both). I also believe that any running change might not come out for another several months, given what it takes to design, test, and then produce a fix.

I really do feel for all those waiting. I remember my frustration when I took in my crunchy sounding T3650-equipped 2003 Mach 1 multiple times to have the issue corrected. I waited about 11 months from the time the issue was identified until the ultimate fix (a total transmission replacement with updated internals for a Job 2 run of the 2003 Mustangs) was available. I recently spoke with someone who has an '11 GT that developed the symptoms described here. He's hanging in there for a permanent resolution.
Old 7/11/11, 01:38 PM

not 100% sure if this helps...but why not...Ford recommends changing the trans fluid in colder climates..here is the TSB

ISSUE
PART NUMBER PART NAME

Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a

XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Fluid
MT82 6-speed manual transmission may exhibit
increased shift efforts in cold ambient temperatures.

This is usually most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears
but may also be noticed in 3rd through 6th gears.
The increased shift effort may be the result of the
increased viscosity of the transmission fluid in cold
coverage limits/policies are
weather.
ACTION :

Follow the Service Procedure to correct the are determined by the
condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE 110318A 2011-2012 Mustang: Drain 0.4 Hr.
Replace the Motorcraft

âFull Synthetic Manual And Refill the
Transmission Fluid with 2.6L (2.7 qt) of Motorcraft

â Transmission (Do not Use
Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. Refer to Workshop With Any Other Labor
Manual, Section 308-03A for the transmission fluid Operations)
draining and filling procedure.
This fluid is suitable for use in all ambient BASIC PART NO. CODE
temperatures and seasons, and the Scheduled 7003 42
Maintenance guidelines in the Owner Guide can
continue to be followed.
The use of friction modifiers or other fluid additives
is not recommended since although they may
provide some immediate improvement in cold shift
effort, they are likely to result in long term
degradation of the synchronizers.

I cut and pasted it..so for clarification. the part number for the fluid is XT-11-QDC.
I have the TSB for the hi rev clutch too...below:
CLUTCH STAYOUT AT HIGH RPM—BUILT ON OR TSB 10-19-4
BEFORE 4/25/2010
FORD:
2011 Mustang
ISSUE
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of
Some 2011 Mustangs built on or before 4/25/2010, New Vehicle Limited
with a manual transmission and low mileage, Warranty Coverage
typically 10,000 miles or less (16,093 Km), may IMPORTANT: Warranty
exhibit a clutch pedal Stayout condition at very high coverage limits/policies are
engine RPM. This condition will generate a concern not altered by a TSB.
of the clutch pedal remaining on the floor during Warranty coverage limits
high engine RPM shifts. When engine RPM drops, are determined by the
clutch pedal operation returns to normal, but the identified causal part.
re-engagement may be abrupt.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
ACTION
101904A 2011 Mustang MT82 0.8 Hr.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the Transmission: Replace The
condition. Brake Pedal And Bracket
Assembly (Do Not Use

SERVICE PROCEDURE
With Any Other Labor
Operations)
The clutch pedal Stayout is a condition where at
high engine RPM, centrifugal forces on the clutch system can reduce the force with which the clutch diaphragm fingers push against the release bearing.This can result in the clutch pedal staying on the
floor until engine RPM decreases and the
diaphragm return force increases.
1. Replace the Brake Pedal and Bracket
assembly. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section
206-06.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BR3Z-2455-M Brake Pedal And Bracket
(Black-3.7L/GT 5.0L w/Brembo
Brakes)
BR3Z-2455-P Brake Pedal And Bracket
(Metallic-3.7L/GT 5.0L w/Brembo
Brakes)
BR3Z-2455-R Brake Pedal And Bracket
(Black-GT 5.0L Standard Brakes)
BR3Z-2455-T Brake Pedal And Bracket
(Metallic-GT 5.0L Standard
Brakes)
NOTE:
The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation
determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin
(TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is
available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.

Last edited by fantom; 7/11/11 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added info
Old 7/11/11, 07:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by fantom
not 100% sure if this helps...but why not...Ford recommends changing the trans fluid in colder climates..here is the TSB
Just to clarify: I don't think Ford recommends this. Its more a reaction to owners who complain about shifting effort in cold climates. And many people who do the change end up complaining about the increased gear whine from the thinner fluid.

If Ford recommended this, they would have the dealers in cold climates change the fluid up front and they would include the option in the owners manual.

Quick Reply: The 2011 6 speed manuals ??