2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The 2011 6 speed manuals ??

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/11, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2011 6 speed manuals ??

For those who have either have had problems or not had yet ... Do you worry about them.. And how hard is the fix ... Is it a one time thing ???
Old 6/27/11, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The issues are blown far out of proportion.

search a little on the forum and you will see how few people actually are having issues.
Old 6/27/11, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by LEwis26
The issues are blown far out of proportion.

search a little on the forum and you will see how few people actually are having issues.
Yea .. what I am saying is the last thing I want to do is get a new car and just worry all the time that something is about to go wrong with it .. So my question is how many people who have them worry about it ...
Old 6/27/11, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by snaggeltooth
Yea .. what I am saying is the last thing I want to do is get a new car and just worry all the time that something is about to go wrong with it .. So my question is how many people who have them worry about it ...
It's all covered under warranty if something does go wrong so why worry?
Old 6/27/11, 02:50 PM

OK .. I guess I forgot how new I am to this site ..
My current car is a 05 GTO... and they have what is called a PASS II security system.. Well in a lot of our cars the sensor in the column goes bad.. aka the car thinks your key is a wrong key ...so nothing happens .. And parts from Aussie take like 2 weeks to get to you .. So I worry that this may be something like that since the 6 speed is so new ..
Old 6/27/11, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody knows at this point, since the tranny is so new.

Like jaybert says, It's all under warranty, so why worry about it?

Just enjoy the car. If something goes wrong, have it fixed under warranty.
Old 6/27/11, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I test drove an '11 V6 MT and it felt completely different than my '10. Clutch seemed 'looser', and I had a hard time hitting the gears. I'm sure it was just the 'newness' going from one to the other, but it just didn't feel good. The extra 100 HP was noticeable tho...

I consider myself a reasonable guy, but I have to admit that reading the posts about tranny problems has helped me get over the crazy thought of taking a whoopin' on the trade and moving up. For now, at least.
Old 6/27/11, 04:23 PM
V6 Member

For those who have either have had problems or not had yet ... Do you worry about them.. And how hard is the fix ... Is it a one time thing ???
I worry since it is such a common problem point. I have had no real issues yet, but it is not modded. Because I want the warranty to cover it, it is making me hold off on any mods until the warranty is up.
Old 6/27/11, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Drive it like I stole it....and use the warranty if needed. Never worry.....not worth it.
Old 6/27/11, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not worried at all. I think that people are just wrongly accusing the "notchy" shifting when cold or occasional "notchy" shifting while driving to be the beginning stages of tranny failure when it is most likely just nature of the car. Occasional defects do make it through the factory with some people receiving cars with problems, and since criticism's scream louder then praise, we can all probably assume why theirs a general idea that that the new 6-speed tranny is bad. We have nothing to worry about. If it breaks, theirs a warranty for that (except for bad dealers who deny anything wrong or blame the driver).

Don't worry about it and enjoy that stang!!
Old 6/27/11, 05:19 PM

6 Speed

I went and bought one AFTER reading all the crying on that other forum. Go read the Camaro forums, the Challenger forums, the Corvette Forums, they all seem to have their little group of malcontents that scream bloody murder about how crappy the manual tranny is. Been reading them for years...

You should have read the Drive Accord forum over the last 2 years with the whining and crying about everything. I had one and it was a good car, just not as good as the Mustang.

I did all the transmission work at the dealer for many years, dealt with all these issues. I did see that there was a legit issue with the pressure plate bolts backing out on early 11 builds, also there was a change made to the clutch pedal/spring assy on early 11 builds. Not trying to talk anybody into anything, just do some research before you run crying into the night about anything you read on these forums.
Old 6/27/11, 05:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine shifts beautifully and I'm not worried a bit. My warranty will cover it if anything goes wrong.
Old 6/27/11, 05:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Swamp Dweller
I went and bought one AFTER reading all the crying on that other forum. Go read the Camaro forums, the Challenger forums, the Corvette Forums, they all seem to have their little group of malcontents that scream bloody murder about how crappy the manual tranny is. Been reading them for years...

You should have read the Drive Accord forum over the last 2 years with the whining and crying about everything. I had one and it was a good car, just not as good as the Mustang.

I did all the transmission work at the dealer for many years, dealt with all these issues. I did see that there was a legit issue with the pressure plate bolts backing out on early 11 builds, also there was a change made to the clutch pedal/spring assy on early 11 builds. Not trying to talk anybody into anything, just do some research before you run crying into the night about anything you read on these forums.
Agreed. There are just people out there who will complain about practically anything. My 2005 Sea-Doo RXP has a widely known issue with the superchargers ceramic washers where the washers will slowly break down and come apart at full RPM, causing the supercharger to break apart. People scream to death about the RXP's supercharger issue even when Sea-Doo redesigned the washers for the following years. And a side note to that, my 2005 RXP has the stock ceramic washers and has 180 hours on it and still has yet to give me problems whereas people who had the same RXP had the washers go at 25 hours.

Its everywhere, you can search anything and you'll find a forum with a tread talking about some horrendous defect that will destroy the reputation of the product. There are just those types of people who can't accept defects and get them fixed so they vent to the world on forums. (Not that I'm not doing that ).
Old 6/27/11, 06:51 PM

You know whats weird .. I just searched 3 FORD dealerships in the area.. NONE had GTs with autos ....only V6 has autos... anyone else try this
Old 6/27/11, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

You know whats weird .. I just searched 3 FORD dealerships in the area.. NONE had GTs with autos ....only V6 has autos... anyone else try this
In my own experience I've always seen manuals on the lot with autos hard to come by (when it comes to mustangs). Majority of the general public drive autos with a small diminishing minority driving manuals. The autos are never optioned the way i would want them as well. Lol.

Don't worry. It's just a coincidence.
Old 6/27/11, 08:05 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S
Mine shifts beautifully and I'm not worried a bit. My warranty will cover it if anything goes wrong.

I feel exactly the same way. Just enjoy, who knows how long you'll have the car.
Old 6/27/11, 08:29 PM

My 6-speed shifts great, my clutch is free of problems. If I do have any problems I'll worry about it then. I'm not going to stress over something that might never happen. Drive it and enjoy it!
Old 6/27/11, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I can only speak from my experience. I have had the car for a year, driven 12000+ miles under all types of weather conditions, dry, rain, heavy snow and ice (Used Blizzaks for the winter). In all this driving, from -25 to 110 degrees, no problems, with the exception of heavy shifting (like syrup) when below zero. I just let it sit for a few minutes in neutral, in below zero temps, to circulate the fluid, and then double clutch until the transmission is completely up to temperature. I have yet to hit the skip shift. The more miles it accumulates, the better the transmission seems to get.

I find excuses to drive this car, especially in the hills. My 2007 GT/CS was not fun. The five speed was balky and seemed to have the wrong ratios. When I traded it after teo years, I had less then 14000 miles on it, so you can see, the 2011 is much better and more fun.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 6/27/11 at 09:24 PM.
Old 6/28/11, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Problems related to the pressure plate bolts are a one time fix and they only apply to some 2011s.

Some owners report notchiness or notchiness in cold weather. That is a pretty subjective term. What bothers one person might not matter at all to another.I don't worry about that.

In response to complaints of notchiness in cold weather, Ford allows a thinner fluid which causes gear whine in a significant percent. The whine could be permanent, so if mine ever got TOO notchy in cold weather, I would live with it rather than risk permanent whine.

Others report whining with the spec fluid. I don't worry about that. And frankly Ford is missing an opportunity. With so many owners drooling over the ghost cam tunes, ford should tout the whine as "ghost whine" simulating the straight cut gears of REAL performance cars of yore.

To me the serious problems are grinding and/or refusal to go into gear; the latter could get you killed. This can be evident when new or take thousands of miles to develop.

The odds of having those problem in the first couple of years seem to be low. I don't think anyone knows if some percentage of the "good" ones will develop those issues down the road.

But if you get a transmission that grinds or some times locks you out of gears, there is NO simple fix. At least one owner had the same issues after having the transmission replaced which hints of an issue with the mounting to the engine block in his case. Others have had repairs made o their transmission with no improvement and new problems related to the work done by techs not that experienced for the task. Basically Ford seems to be rope-a-doping owners with the serious problems. Its clear their strategy is to let the lemon laws resolve these issues. That may change if there is enough negative publicity (e.g. a pending 20/20 report).

If you buy one, you will probably not have any problems (at least in the first few years) but if you would really really really hate doing the lemon law thing or just dumping the car for a loss if you are unlucky, don't buy one.

Me? I bought one anyway. So far so good although I had ONE instance of refusal to go into 2nd gear at around 3000 RPM (in 1st) while in a fairly mild turn. It wouldn't go into gear until I straightened out and let the revs drop to zero before rev matching and completing the shift. That was at about 5000 miles. Never before and never since.
Old 6/29/11, 12:59 AM
V6 Member

No issues, none, zilch...I have one as does the wife. I will be selling mine when I return from my current deployment. Not because of worry or issues but because I bought another car I like better.

Quick Reply: The 2011 6 speed manuals ??