2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 5.0 "cammed " idle...w/video

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/11, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I only use BP or mobile. Once in a while I'll use Shell but those are the only gasses I'll put in it. Did the dealer give you a hard time about it being tuned? I have a catless x on mine and I'm gonna order a tune. I just don't want the runaround at the dealer when I take it in. ( airbag is bad on the passenger side seat.).
Old 6/29/11, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll be posting up a full review in a separate thread tonight, after I get some video shot. I was way too stoked to be burbling around town all day after work to get anything filmed. And yeah, my car is ridiculous louder now at idle, good God. No cats and muffler deletes sound crazzzzyyyy with the cammer tune.

The long and short of it, however, is this: If you have a lot of stop and go traffic on your commute, you probably won't want to run this tune daily. There are quite a few drawbacks to the tune, tons of gas-sapping inefficiencies, etc. that I'll break down later tonight.

Still - this thing is WICKED. I thought my car turned heads before..LOL.
Old 6/29/11, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Good to hear and can ya toss up a link to the new thread here once it is up so i dont miss it
Thanks
Old 6/29/11, 12:12 PM

That's good to hear! I just ordered mine. I don't have stop and go traffic to deal with but I do hit a few stop lights. What exactly do you mean by gas-sapping inefficiencies?
Old 6/29/11, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011Mustang5.0
That's good to hear! I just ordered mine. I don't have stop and go traffic to deal with but I do hit a few stop lights. What exactly do you mean by gas-sapping inefficiencies?
There are a few necessary changes made to the way the car idles at all times. For instance, when driving at speed (25 mph or higher) if you pop into neutral and just coast, the RPMs will not go below 1250-1500, whereas a non-cammer tune will settle down to about about 100 RPM above idle.

At idle, the car now sits around 950-1000 rpm; non-cammer's are usually 700-800 rpm or so.

When starting the car, dead cold, it hold the RPMs at about 1500 RPM until the temperature needle is about 1/4, then drops to 1200 RPM until the needle is about 1/2, then settles down to 1100 RPM for a few minutes; when the motor is fully warmed up, it dips down just slightly and starts loping.

With my completely open (aside from the stock resonators) exhaust, this is REALLY loud on cold starts. I leave at a little after 7:00 in the morning, so my neighbors didn't appreciate it, lol.

I might contact Lund and see if there is any way to at least adjust cold start...I imagine the idea behind this is to accelerate the warm up process, and get you loping faster, but the trade off for me is really, really angry looks from people in my neighborhood! I imagine a car with a properly-muffled exhaust setup won't notice any of these minor nuances, but I definitely do.

I still want to stress - this tune is so worth it. Sitting at a red light with my big ole cowl hood, car shaking side to side...pure ecstasy. I used to enjoy cruising up and down back roads, now I prefer sitting in traffic jams and at red lights!!
Old 6/29/11, 02:27 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
I used to enjoy cruising up and down back roads, now I prefer sitting in traffic jams and at red lights!!
Old 6/29/11, 02:27 PM
Cobra Member

shesh, kinda makes me wish i had the manual.. **** wife... learn to drive a stick woman.. lol
Old 6/29/11, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so these are being sold again? I'd love to get this tune for cruise days and track days (who wouldn't want to sit on grid sounding like that, haha)
Old 6/29/11, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
shesh, kinda makes me wish i had the manual.. **** wife... learn to drive a stick woman.. lol
Don't even sweat it man. It's a novelty that I'm sure will wear off. I went through Dunkin Donuts for a coffee, and the guy had to have me shout my order three times before he finally heard me. I'm sure little things like that will end up forcing my hand back to a regular, 'quiet' tune after some time.

Either that or I'll be deaf.
Old 6/29/11, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can anyone clarify for me, I have a 93 race tune from BAMA that came with my CAI. Does the cammed tune replace that tune all together or is it added to it so just at idle it takes effect?
Old 6/29/11, 02:59 PM

To my knowledge it replaces that tune all together. I ordered lunds 93 octane tune with the cammed idle in it.
Old 6/29/11, 02:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Kpd3014
Can anyone clarify for me, I have a 93 race tune from BAMA that came with my CAI. Does the cammed tune replace that tune all together or is it added to it so just at idle it takes effect?
replaces completely
Old 6/29/11, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

For you guys that have it on the 6 speed, any truth to the low rpm issues? Some guys saying that the tune is not a daily driver tune and at low rpm the car is jumpy. I really want the sound and love the videos of others cars but to be honest I'm scared to mess up the car.
Old 6/29/11, 06:02 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

For you guys that have it on the 6 speed, any truth to the low rpm issues? Some guys saying that the tune is not a daily driver tune and at low rpm the car is jumpy. I really want the sound and love the videos of others cars but to be honest I'm scared to mess up the car.
I ran the Livernois "idle lope" tune for awhile on my 2011 5.0 and, while it definitely sounded badass (even through the stock mufflers) the low-RPM driveability was less than desirable, and Livernois told me this when they e-mailed the file to me. I don't really see how it could "mess up" your car, though. If you run a ghost cam tune and realize it isn't for you, simply load a different performance tune or flash it back to stock. It really is that simple.

Here's my car running Livernois' 93 octane "idle lope" tune with 100% factory exhaust:

http://youtu.be/QMB_L_Bcb2I

http://youtu.be/krqWRpot_mk
Old 6/29/11, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rodmoe
Good to hear and can ya toss up a link to the new thread here once it is up so i dont miss it
Thanks
https://themustangsource.com/f726/fi...7/#post6098522
Old 6/29/11, 08:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Standman38637
I'm e-mailing him periodically, but nothing definite yet.
Thx for the heads up.
Old 6/30/11, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Grifftech
Sweet holy mother, jesus, mary, joseph and the donkey they rode on; that sounds SICK!!!!!
Thank you sir.
Originally Posted by 2011Mustang5.0
So who out there recommends this CAMMED tune and who says no?
ONLY if you get Lund's from him, all others are knockoff's/stolen.
Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
The power also seemed down to me over a regular tune.
More clutch is all, same as with big cams. My regular tune was 418rwhp, the cammed version was 422rwhp. Small but notable difference back to back runs.
good God. No cats and muffler deletes sound crazzzzyyyy with the cammer tune.

Still - this thing is WICKED. I thought my car turned heads before..LOL.
My thoughts exactly.
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
so these are being sold again? I'd love to get this tune for cruise days and track days (who wouldn't want to sit on grid sounding like that, haha)
Do it!!!
Don't even sweat it man. It's a novelty that I'm sure will wear off. I went through Dunkin Donuts for a coffee, and the guy had to have me shout my order three times before he finally heard me. I'm sure little things like that will end up forcing my hand back to a regular, 'quiet' tune after some time.

Either that or I'll be deaf.
Drinks in the stang!?!?!?! OMFG! *dies*
Same negatives as actual big cams.
Old 6/30/11, 12:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
ONLY if you get Lund's from him, all others are knockoff's/stolen.
Stole from who?
Old 6/30/11, 01:05 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Vito
Stole from who?
Not stolen, they just "fell off a truck" (said in my best Jersey accent).
Old 6/30/11, 01:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Not stolen, they just "fell off a truck" (said in my best Jersey accent).

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 "cammed " idle...w/video