05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

retrofit a 2013/14 cluster

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/14, 09:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I never noticed if it worked in my 2012 after retrofitting the cluster. I will have to check now.
Old 6/30/14, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Chime works in my 2012.
Old 6/30/14, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
Chime works in my 2012.
I just looked and the sign illuminates too. I never look at this, as I always use my seat belt.

LEXiiON
Old 7/1/14, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim, how available is your 05? Still have you J2534 interface?
Old 7/1/14, 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'll have it next week again. Long story, but my brother uses the car and takes care of it. I don't have room for the car at my place, and didn't want it to sit in storage, but he has a garage and stores it in the winter and pays for the maintenace in exchange for some use of it in the summer. My 2012 is my DD.

I still have everything.

I was going to wire it up again according to the new conversion that I figured out. Then hook up the VCM and see what DTCs popped up.

What do you suggest?
Old 7/1/14, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'll have it next week again. Long story, but my brother uses the car and takes care of it. I don't have room for the car at my place, and didn't want it to sit in storage, but he has a garage and stores it in the winter and pays for the maintenance in exchange for some use of it in the summer. My 2012 is my DD.

I still have everything.

I was going to wire it up again according to the new conversion that I figured out. Then hook up the VCM and see what DTCs popped up.

What do you suggest?
We need to first build a method so you can bench test your 05 and 13 cluster, (since I don't have one handy here), then we need to do some logging on some 05 MSCAN & HSCAN networks, Then we will start replicating the 05 signals to the new style cluster.

Hit me up on email, and lets setup a time this week so we can go through some specifics.

-Matt
Old 7/1/14, 11:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Do you still need me to get you a cluster? I think I can get the car working with the new cluster if my wiring of the fuel will work. Then I can just send you the cluster from the car.
Old 7/1/14, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do you still need me to get you a cluster? I think I can get the car working with the new cluster if my wiring of the fuel will work. Then I can just send you the cluster from the car.
It would make things a lot easier... However, if we can build you a test bench, then we can do it remote. Since your VCM will double as a J2534 interface.

-Matt
Old 7/2/14, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

e-mail sent.
Old 7/2/14, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

e-mail sent.
Sorry for not coming back on the FP... Will do it right now ...

Alex
Old 7/12/14, 04:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, I went to do some testing today on the 05 since I have it, but I forgot myu switch in the trunk of my 2012 - which is in the body shop until Monday. And I won't have access to the 05 until August ...

Lexiion, can you outline here in this thread all the issues that you had getting the cluster to work in your car, including the steering rack? I may have similar issues with the 05.
Old 7/12/14, 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Smile

Some more good news coming up after testing.

Old 7/12/14, 08:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Pics I'll post later, but so far:

I wired up the fuel and the oil signals going to the SJB direct to the cluster instead as I outlined in previous posts. Because I didn't have the steering wheel switch, I couldn't check the digital guages on the 13 cluster, but I did have my 2012 cluster on hand as well.

The fuel guage was reading, and so was the oil, temp and volts on the 2012 cluster. Since all I can see on the 13 cluster (because I can't push OK to acknowledge the warning messages, they just remain on the LCD screen, so I can't access the other functions) is fuel and temp - both are working.

However, the car had 1/4 in the tank, but both the 12 and 13 clusters were reading the car had over 1/2. I think Lexiion was right and I'll be getting his fuel pump and install it.

Check engine light did not light up this time as it had in the previous tests. only TPMS, parking brake and TCS were left on.

I'll give greater detail later when I have time as I'm going out.

But I'm pleased with what I have. And the car WILL start with this cluster.

I've gone as far as I can. From here, I need Zeroaviation to help with the rest.
Old 7/12/14, 08:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not going just yet, so I'll go into some detail. Pics later.

With both the 2012 and 2013 clusters plugged:

-TPMS symbol lights up and message error is given
-temp guage works
-voltmeter works
-oil guage works
-check engine light is NOT on
-parking brake light is on - even though parking brake is not engaged
-hazards work
-turn signals work
-no indication of parking lights, daytime running lights, headlights or high beams on the cluster - but I did check visually to see if all the lights worked, and they do
-speedo works
-tach works - I said before that the tach does not return to 0 when off. It works just fine now
-hill assist does not light up
-door ajar and chime work
-seat belt warning light does not work
-seat belt chime does not work
*cluster is on night lighting and cannot get it to daytime lighting
-fuel guage works but is off on how much gas there is
-lock stay flashing on cluster - PATS is somehow deactivated

This was about all I could check.

I ran diagnostics with the IDS, but IDS said it could not communicate with either the 2012 or 2013 cluster. I guess is is expecting a 2005 - 2009 cluster? Or maybe it communicates through the RCM, which is not hooked up.

Only errors I got were:

B1869 RCM lamp warning airbag indicator circuit open
B1982 RCM airbag tone warning circuit open/short
Old 7/13/14, 12:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Update the list:

1) On the 2005 cluster, the airbag indicator and seat belt indicator and tone (24 and 23 on the plug for 2005) come from the RCM. The 2013/14 must be receiving these signals through the CANbus.

Result - no airbag warning light, no seat belt warning light, no seat belt chime

Fix - Black Box - plug these wires into the BB and then send the proper signals to the cluster via HSCAN wires, as the cluster expects.

2) Traction control indicator is a signal and return on the 2005 and so are 2 separate wires. But it is only 1 wire for 2013/14.

Result - traction control warning light is always on. TCS is off and can't be turned on?

Fix - Black Box - plug these wires into the BB and then send the proper signal to the cluster to pin 7 on the cluster.

3) The key in the ignition warning on the 2005 goes straight to the cluster to pin 13. On the 2013/14, it goes to the SJB on C2280B pin#35. Info must be sent via CANbus again.

Result - IDK

Fix - Black Box - plug the wire into the BB and then send the proper signal via the HSCAN wires to the cluster.

4) PATS is in the cluster for 2013/14 and is pin# 22 and 23. Don't need these, so don't worry about it. Car will start without it.

Result - the car & lock warning light keep flashing when car is on. No PATS?

Fix - IDK - maybe turn off PATS altogether? Or BB can somehow keep PATS working.

5) On the 2013/14 cluster, pin# 9 and 10 are for a compass.

Result - IDK

Fix - get the 10-14 autodimming mirror with compass and wire it straight to the cluster pin#9 and 10.

6) Oil pressure goes direct to the 2013/14 cluster into pin# 5. On the 2005, it goes to the SJB on C2280C pin# 42. Maybe disconnecting it to the SJB and rewiring it to go to the cluster will work? Otherwise, once again the info is sent via CANbus.

Result - no oil pressure reading

Fix - reroute the wire going to pin#42 on C2280C on the SJB. Run it to the connector on the cluster pin #5. Not sure if teh reading is accurate, but seems to be.

7) Fuel level is also sent directly to the cluster in 2013/14. In 2005 it goes to the SJB (C2280C pin# 31, 43, 44) and then CANbus to the cluster. Again I am thinking of disconnecting the wires to the SJB and rewiring them to go to the cluster instead.

Result - no fuel reading or anything associated with fuel, like average fuel consumption, km to empty etc,

Fix - reroute the wires going to the SJB to the cluster instead as shown below:

On C2280C, pin #43 is the signal for the fuel level sensor. That will go to pin# 18 on the cluster.
On C2280C, pin# 31 is the return for the fuel level sensor. That goes to pin# 19 on the cluster.
On C2280C, pin# 44 is the signal for the fuel pump (fuel sender). That goes to pin# 15 on the cluster.
On C2280C, pin#31 is also the return for the fuel pump (fuel sender). It goes to pin# 16 on the cluster.

The reading is not accurate, though. Lexiion says that a 2010 fuel pump and sensors are needed for this. Seems he is right.

8) There is no overdrive on the 13/14 cluster, only hill assist.

Result - hill assist does not light up.

Fix - IDK - Maybe hill assist can be changed to light up as O/D via the BB?

9) cruise control light - cruise will not work right as the resistances in the 13/14 switch are completely different, and there is a new function as well.

Result - no cruise control

Fix - The circuit board of the 13/14 switch needs to have the resistances changed to make it work almost 100%. I already have a solution for this in another thread for this, but to get the cruise lights to turn on, a module will need to be included in the BB to make the proper signals and send them via HSCAN wires.

10) parking brake light is always on

Result - parking brake warning light is always on.

Fix - IDK - BB will have to reinterpret the signal on the HSCAN wires.

11) Trunk ajar warning does not work.

Result - car gives no warning that the trunk is open.

12) TPMS has no signal as 05 didn't have TPMS.

Result - TPMS warning light is always on.

Fix - ignore or get TPMS sensors and the TPMS module for 07-09 cars?

13) High Beam indicator not working

Result - when high beam is selected, the high beam indicator will not light up. Headlights and high beams still function as they should, however.

14) extra digital guages, such as air inlet temp, air/fuel ratio, cylinder head temp, tranny temp will not work as the signals from the PCM are not recognized by the cluster.

Result - no readings for those digital guages

Fix - Black Box can reinterpret the signals on the HSCAN wires.

15) Track Apps won't work. Lexiion is currently trying to get this to work in his 2010 car, but even though he got the 13/14 ABS module, he still can't get it to work. I think not possible for 05-09 cars.

Result - track apps will display but not be functional.

Fix - Flash the cluster to that of a 13/14 car that has the LCD screen, but doesn't have track apps. Then Track Apps will be removed from the menu altogether. Or BB could have the sensors built into it and send this to cluster via HSCAN wires.

16) Cluster is in night mode and can't be changed to daytime mode.

Result - cluster will always be in night time mode

Fix - IDK - BB will have to reinterpret signal on HSCAN wires.

The Black Box will be wired to the HScan wires. It will also have to have some way of plugging some wires that normally go to the cluster go to it instead. Wires 13, 20, 21, 23, 24 will all need to plug into the black box.

Last edited by jim010; 7/15/14 at 11:12 AM.
Old 7/14/14, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I went to do some testing today on the 05 since I have it, but I forgot myu switch in the trunk of my 2012 - which is in the body shop until Monday. And I won't have access to the 05 until August ...

Lexiion, can you outline here in this thread all the issues that you had getting the cluster to work in your car, including the steering rack? I may have similar issues with the 05.
Ok here we go:

So you have to understand that the 10 is actually an 11 with a 05-09 drivetrain. Basically the cluster worked right away. Some issues though to overcome:
The cluster install was plug and play. Everything worked except:

- TrackApps (need 2013 ABS for that - unable to install yet, due to PCM communication issues)
- Gauges (PCM is not sending the data like the 2013+ same as with the 2011+ - need BlackBox to correct)
- Even with BB gauges do not display AFR - no widebands installed, will be solved with BB and analog inputs - same goes for the GT500 boost gauge
- The GT500 cluster will display a red tach as it is missing data (same goes for a 2010-12 GT500 cluster in non-GT500 cars - Dan had the same issue) - BB removed this
- Steering wheel feel can be set in the menu, but has no effect. Only adding the EPAS will actually get the settings corrected - no error message, except in IDS you see unable to communicate with PSCM
- Oil Life message popped up every time the car started: as built data input from 2010GT/2013GT500 mixed solved that problem

Everything else just works fine: Fuel/Temp/ABS/TC/Airbag/Seatbelt/Mycolor/etc

Hope this helps

LEXiiON
Old 7/14/14, 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

delete

Last edited by jim010; 7/14/14 at 01:25 PM.
Old 7/14/14, 01:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Lex!

I am still confused about the fuel pump, though.

Currently, fuel does display when wired straight to the IC instead of the SJB. But it does not show accurate fuel level.

A pump from a 2010 will correct this, but a pump from a 11-14 will not?

Or is using a BB a better way of dealing with it?

Cheers
Old 7/14/14, 01:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I installed a GT500 Fuel pump in my 2010 GT. FRPP released a specific 2010 Fuel Pump kit even though the 2005-2009 GT500 kit was identical. The difference was Ford reversed the resistance readings on the sending unit starting in 2010 so a 2010+ specific sending unit was required for the fuel guage to function properly.
Old 7/14/14, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

The 2011+ (except GT500 they use the same as our cars) use a different fuel system than the 05-10. So the best option is to just swap the pump to a 2010.

It's packed up and ready to go.

Alex

Last edited by LEXiiON; 7/14/14 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: retrofit a 2013/14 cluster