05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

retrofit a 2013/14 cluster

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/15, 10:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
So everything else is figured out? Everything from post #165 issues 1-19?

Cool.

Is there any chance the d-pad you are working on could be illuminated?

The following can be a solution for oil and fuel, but it then is no longer plug and play.

6) Oil pressure goes direct to the 2013/14 cluster into pin# 5. On the 2005, it goes to the SJB on C2280C pin# 42. Maybe disconnecting it to the SJB and rewiring it to go to the cluster will work? Otherwise, once again the info is sent via CANbus.

Result - no oil pressure reading

Fix - reroute the wire going to pin#42 on C2280C on the SJB. Run it to the connector on the cluster pin #5. Not sure if teh reading is accurate, but seems to be.

7) Fuel level is also sent directly to the cluster in 2013/14. In 2005 it goes to the SJB (C2280C pin# 31, 43, 44) and then CANbus to the cluster. Again I am thinking of disconnecting the wires to the SJB and rewiring them to go to the cluster instead.

Result - no fuel reading or anything associated with fuel, like average fuel consumption, km to empty etc,

Fix - reroute the wires going to the SJB to the cluster instead as shown below:

On C2280C, pin #43 is the signal for the fuel level sensor. That will go to pin# 18 on the cluster.
On C2280C, pin# 31 is the return for the fuel level sensor. That goes to pin# 19 on the cluster.
On C2280C, pin# 44 is the signal for the fuel pump (fuel sender). That goes to pin# 15 on the cluster.
On C2280C, pin#31 is also the return for the fuel pump (fuel sender). It goes to pin# 16 on the cluster.

The reading is not accurate, though. Lexiion says that a 2010 fuel pump and sensors are needed for this. Seems he is right.

Last edited by jim010; 4/20/15 at 03:32 PM.
Old 4/27/15, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I have a solution for #6. This will require an analog output from the BB into the 2013 cluster.

Also, I'm happy to say, I may have a solution for #7 as well, that does not require any rewiring to the SJB, just new wires from the BB to the Cluster. This will also prevent us from needing the new fuel pump/hat/level changes.

I'm working on getting development hardware built. However, I'm using a new application to me to design the PCB called Altium, which has a SUPER steep learning curve. I'm hoping to have some design ready by end of week to be sent out for manufacturing. If anyone on here has Altium experience, I will pay you for some advice/help.

More to come
-Matt
Old 4/27/15, 10:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just take my money already!

That is cool. With the 5 way switch, what are teh chances that it will be illuminated?

Cheers
Old 4/27/15, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
Just take my money already!

That is cool. With the 5 way switch, what are teh chances that it will be illuminated?

Cheers
Illuminated 5 way shouldn't be a problem. I will pass it along.

-Matt
Old 4/27/15, 01:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The issue with making the arrows and the 'OK' illuminate is that it needs to be molded in clear plastic, and then painted the proper colour. Then either the arrows and the 'OK' are somehow masked off during painted, or etched on after painting.
Old 4/27/15, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

The issue with making the arrows and the 'OK' illuminate is that it needs to be molded in clear plastic, and then painted the proper colour. Then either the arrows and the 'OK' are somehow masked off during painted, or etched on after painting.
Yup, we have clear plastic and flexible light tubes

I'm not sure of an eta on it though.

-Matt
Old 4/28/15, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Yup, we have clear plastic and flexible light tubes

I'm not sure of an eta on it though.

-Matt
I'm not understanding the problem with the lighting of the button.

Why can't you just use the factory 13-14 left side switch?

When you follow AkDoggie's instructions with hooking up the audio controls, it leaves 2 spots on the bottom connector of the clock spring which you could hook up to the remaining 2 wires from the switch.
Old 4/28/15, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by friedmaster
I'm not understanding the problem with the lighting of the button.

Why can't you just use the factory 13-14 left side switch?

When you follow AkDoggie's instructions with hooking up the audio controls, it leaves 2 spots on the bottom connector of the clock spring which you could hook up to the remaining 2 wires from the switch.
The button we are talking about is custom and will take the place of the info reset buttons on the center stack (these will become useless with the new cluster).

We are wanting this to be as plug and play as possible. Using akdoggie's mod also means that you will have the left side buttons be useless unless connected properly, and sync would need to be installed. Also, cruise will not work using akdoggie's mod with this either. Besides, we need 3 spots on the clockspring connector, so we are one short. You could replace the clockspring with one from a 10-14, but that is now even less of a plug and play.

Last edited by jim010; 4/28/15 at 06:14 PM.
Old 4/28/15, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

The button we are talking about is custom and will take the place of the info reset buttons on the center stack (these will become useless with the new cluster).

We are wanting this to be as plug and play as possible. Using akdoggie's mod also means that you will have the left side buttons be useless unless connected properly, and sync would need to be installed. Also, cruise will not work using akdoggie's mod with this either. Besides, we need 3 spots on the clockspring connector, so we are one short. You could replace the clockspring with one from a 10-14, but that is now even less of a plug and play.
Sorry, I guess I haven't followed this thread closely enough...

The 13-14s don't have Info/Setup/Reset buttons, just the ones on the steering wheel.. why do we need anything there?
Old 4/28/15, 11:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You are right. 13/14 has no info/set up/reset buttons. They only have teh 5 way directional buttons. You can't scroll through the menus on the LCD screen in the cluster without the 5 D-pad buttons, so one has to be put in. If we used the 5 D-pad from the 13/14 wheel, we would gain the ability to scroll the menus, while the 05-09 info/reset/setup become non functional. But then you have to use the 13/14 wheel and switches to do it this way.

Problem?

1 - The new wheel and switches will only have the 5 D pad working on the wheel and nothing else. To get the sync, phone, volume and tuning to work, you would follow akdoggie's thread and get them all working (which is what you did, right?) But that is above what most are willing to do and makes this mod less appealing.

2 - Also, the cruise will not work. akdoggie was using switches from a 10-12. The switches from a 13/14 use different resistance values for the cruise functions than 05-12. Now that can be fixed by changing the resistances for the cruise functions (and we do have this figured out), but again, that makes teh mod less appealing.

3 - If going with akdoggie's mod, there isn't enough slots to accomodate all the buttons on the clock spring. 05-09 connector is short by one. This can be worked around by putting in a 13/14 steering wheel column and thereby getting the clockspring with the extra slots. Again, not appealing.

Remember that Zeroaviation is wanting to make a 'converter box' that will translate the signals from the PCM into something the new cluster understands. To sell this, it needs to be a pretty complete kit. If all you had to do was get a cluster and his kit, he will sell these no problem, I would think. If all that is needed is a 5 D-pad, then the best is to just add one. We thought that replacing the info/set-up/reset (which will become non-functional) with a 5 D-pad is the best way to go. Gets rid of useless buttons, adds the needed 5 D-pad and avoids extensive rewiring and testing and non functional cruise.

But using a custom 5 D-pad to fit in the info/reset/set-up spot, I would want the new switch to illuminate the same as all the other buttons in the car with the same green led. But we'll see.

Matt has been e-mailing me today, and there is quite a bit of progress on this. Looks like he will have something built in the next couple of weeks. Securing parts is the hold up now.

Cheers

Last edited by jim010; 4/28/15 at 11:19 PM.
Old 4/29/15, 05:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

You are right. 13/14 has no info/set up/reset buttons. They only have teh 5 way directional buttons. You can't scroll through the menus on the LCD screen in the cluster without the 5 D-pad buttons, so one has to be put in. If we used the 5 D-pad from the 13/14 wheel, we would gain the ability to scroll the menus, while the 05-09 info/reset/setup become non functional. But then you have to use the 13/14 wheel and switches to do it this way.

Problem?

1 - The new wheel and switches will only have the 5 D pad working on the wheel and nothing else. To get the sync, phone, volume and tuning to work, you would follow akdoggie's thread and get them all working (which is what you did, right?) But that is above what most are willing to do and makes this mod less appealing.

2 - Also, the cruise will not work. akdoggie was using switches from a 10-12. The switches from a 13/14 use different resistance values for the cruise functions than 05-12. Now that can be fixed by changing the resistances for the cruise functions (and we do have this figured out), but again, that makes teh mod less appealing.

3 - If going with akdoggie's mod, there isn't enough slots to accomodate all the buttons on the clock spring. 05-09 connector is short by one. This can be worked around by putting in a 13/14 steering wheel column and thereby getting the clockspring with the extra slots. Again, not appealing.

Remember that Zeroaviation is wanting to make a 'converter box' that will translate the signals from the PCM into something the new cluster understands. To sell this, it needs to be a pretty complete kit. If all you had to do was get a cluster and his kit, he will sell these no problem, I would think. If all that is needed is a 5 D-pad, then the best is to just add one. We thought that replacing the info/set-up/reset (which will become non-functional) with a 5 D-pad is the best way to go. Gets rid of useless buttons, adds the needed 5 D-pad and avoids extensive rewiring and testing and non functional cruise.

But using a custom 5 D-pad to fit in the info/reset/set-up spot, I would want the new switch to illuminate the same as all the other buttons in the car with the same green led. But we'll see.

Matt has been e-mailing me today, and there is quite a bit of progress on this. Looks like he will have something built in the next couple of weeks. Securing parts is the hold up now.

Cheers
Makes sense!
Old 5/2/15, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very excited about this I've been following this for the last six or so months and when i get back state side I'm for sure doing this to my 07 GT500! Heck I just made an account for this forum & just bought a 2010 GT500 steering wheel and am looking for a 2014 GT500 instrument cluster now. so stoked!!
Old 5/5/15, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update.

The only thing that is holding me up right now is PCB design and gathering parts (these special Tyco and Yazaki connectors). I'm working as fast as time will allow, once I get parts gatherd and PCB design finished, it will be 3/4 weeks before i receive finalized PCB's from the fab house.

I will keep everyone updated, this project will be very very close to plug and play.

-Matt
Old 5/5/15, 02:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have been in contact with Matt, and I can say this is pretty exciting. This mod will be awesome for our cars.
Old 6/12/15, 09:24 PM

This is exciting. I have been pouring over the wiring diagrams of the 2005 and 2011 as I am looking at upgrades for my 98GT. I have in mind to add the SJB and BCM from a 2011 or the SJB from a 2005+. Looks feasible so far, albeit with some significant re-wiring. I would want to do a cluster swap as well, to 2004 or so, but this thread brings the possibility of a 2011+ cluster (although some additional custom effort would be needed to actually fit it!). Eventually I do plan to look at an engine swap, perhaps the coyote, which with its PCM would be a better fit to the cluster.

When I look
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...r%20System.pdf
it shows that the 2005 has TPMS in the SJB but it is mentioned earlier in the thread that the 2005 does not have this. Is it possible that the SJB does in fact support it?

I am an electronics engineer working for an Aerospace company, perhaps I can provide some help to this endeavor.
Old 6/14/15, 02:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by wystewart
This is exciting. I have been pouring over the wiring diagrams of the 2005 and 2011 as I am looking at upgrades for my 98GT. I have in mind to add the SJB and BCM from a 2011 or the SJB from a 2005+. Looks feasible so far, albeit with some significant re-wiring. I would want to do a cluster swap as well, to 2004 or so, but this thread brings the possibility of a 2011+ cluster (although some additional custom effort would be needed to actually fit it!). Eventually I do plan to look at an engine swap, perhaps the coyote, which with its PCM would be a better fit to the cluster.

When I look
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...r%20System.pdf
it shows that the 2005 has TPMS in the SJB but it is mentioned earlier in the thread that the 2005 does not have this. Is it possible that the SJB does in fact support it?

I am an electronics engineer working for an Aerospace company, perhaps I can provide some help to this endeavor.
Have you PMed Matt directly? I think he was looking for someone with your skill set for this and other projects.
Old 7/27/15, 01:45 PM

Matt or Jim do you have any updates for us?
Old 7/28/15, 03:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I haven't heard from Matt in a few weeks, but last update he said that the coding was all translated and that he was awaiting parts from China.
Old 7/29/15, 04:43 AM

I get back state side in a few weeks and the other day I finally got a hold of a 2013 GT500 gauge cluster so it'll be waiting for me when I get back. I am very excited to start this project!
Old 7/29/15, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I suggest contacting zeroaviation at Redliners Performance either through their site or on facebook to get updates. Been awhile since I have heard from Matt.

http://www.redliners.com/the-crew.php

https://www.facebook.com/redlinersperformance

Let them know you are ready for this product.

Quick Reply: retrofit a 2013/14 cluster