Street Scene center fog light grille review

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/06, 05:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Tom do a search on this website and the cost of the grille is $159.95

http://www.musclecardirect.com/store/index.php
I thought that was the one, just wanted to be sure. Thanks Rich!!!

Tom
Old 8/2/06, 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a metal 65 style tri-bar pony in my grille and used two sided automotive tape to attach to my KSR grille in May. When I switched to my Street Scene grille a couple of weeks or so ago I used the same tri-bar and the same tape . To date it is still stuck like crazy.
Old 8/3/06, 05:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey gang, if anyone is like me, you need a visual to understand things So here's a comparison of the 3 different tri-bar pony's discussed in this thread:

In order of appearance: 94-98 fender tri-bar, 06+ Pony package (yes I know the car is filthy), and the metal 64-66 tri-bar.
Attached Thumbnails Street Scene center fog light grille review-dsc01512.jpg   Street Scene center fog light grille review-dsc01513.jpg   Street Scene center fog light grille review-dsc01514.jpg  
Old 8/3/06, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

so after seeing the three above, whats everyones opinion on which one to use?
Old 8/3/06, 08:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well I used the Scott Drake metal 3.75 inch one and I am happy. I'm thinking about taking a dremel tool and grinding down the area where the pony rests on the grille so it will be flush but haven't had the time. I think the pony would look great embedded in the grille rather than sticking to the outside.
Old 8/3/06, 09:03 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I like that "embedded" idea.

As for which one to use, it's a toss up between the 64-66 & the 94-98. My first choice would be the 94-98, but it might be too small.

Thanks for the pics, Dave.
Old 8/3/06, 09:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

No sweat mates! You don't realize how large the Pony package tri-bar is until you compare it to the other 2. IMO the 64-66 is like baby bear's porridge - "just right"
Old 8/3/06, 03:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
No sweat mates! You don't realize how large the Pony package tri-bar is until you compare it to the other 2. IMO the 64-66 is like baby bear's porridge - "just right"
I like the metal 64-66 the best as well, right in the middle in size. Plus it has the little ridges in the blue and red colors of the tri bar that run up/down, instead of just flat and smooth, which gives it more of a retro look, IMO.

The Pony package one looked way too big on GRYPNY's SS grille, but I think the 94-98 would be a close second.

MTAS's pictures are awesome, I really like the tape measure. Here's a pic of a 64-66 and a Pony Package emblem side by side. The blue stuff is of course the peal off plastic for the adhesive backing. The 64-66, you need your own doulbe sided tape.

Last edited by Hatchman; 3/7/08 at 05:09 AM.
Old 8/3/06, 08:41 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree. And, being the owner of a 65 Fastback for 16 years, I know the 64-66 is kind of big to begin with. That's why the '06 emblem looks HUGE to me. I think Ford really over did it on that one.
Old 8/4/06, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Question

OK - quick question for you guys who have installed yours - the factory grille used the #25 torx screws to hold the fogs in. The SS grille comes with the phillips head screws that I assume are to hold the fogs in. Is that the case? My directions clearly state "Install the black plastic sleeve onto the torx head screw over the top inner mount on the lamp." Also, does this mean that the black plastic sleeve is like a washer, going between the screw head and the fog lamp mounting ear? My feeble mind says it should be used as a spacer between the grille shell and the foglight mounting ear. Thanks for clarifying!!
Old 8/4/06, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
OK - quick question for you guys who have installed yours - the factory grille used the #25 torx screws to hold the fogs in. The SS grille comes with the phillips head screws that I assume are to hold the fogs in. Is that the case? My directions clearly state "Install the black plastic sleeve onto the torx head screw over the top inner mount on the lamp." Also, does this mean that the black plastic sleeve is like a washer, going between the screw head and the fog lamp mounting ear? My feeble mind says it should be used as a spacer between the grille shell and the foglight mounting ear. Thanks for clarifying!!
I used the supplied phillips head screws because they were sharper and screwed into the new SS grille easier than the more blunt torx screws. You can use either, but it's nice to have options.

The directions read like it's a washer between the screw and foglight, but when I was tightening mine down, the foglights were having to bend in to make contact with the screen, so use it as a spacer between the screen and foglamp. When tightening down the screws, you'll see this works best.
Old 8/4/06, 12:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hatchman
I used the supplied phillips head screws because they were sharper and screwed into the new SS grille easier than the more blunt torx screws. You can use either, but it's nice to have options.

The directions read like it's a washer between the screw and foglight, but when I was tightening mine down, the foglights were having to bend in to make contact with the screen, so use it as a spacer between the screen and foglamp. When tightening down the screws, you'll see this works best.
Thanks Brad - I ended up using the supplied phillips screws. And I hadn't put the top piece back on yet so I had easy access to the two top/inner screws (with a 90* screwdriver) so now the black plastic piece is a spacer instead of a washer. Thanks!
Old 8/4/06, 04:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hatchman

I don't know if it was my grill, but if you use the factory torx screws, they will fit, but you will notice some white stress marks from the threads, as the screws are jus a bit too big for the holes on the grill. I put my grill in last night, and with one of my screws, I noticed the white marks coming from the screw. I didn't want the plastic to break so I took them out, and used the ones that SS supplied. These fit much better, and I also used the black spacers also. This grill is amazing, the quality and ease of install. Glad I got this when I did.
Old 8/5/06, 04:01 PM
V6 Member

Which corner are you guys using the washer as a spacer?
For me, using it as a spacer on the same corner would've made it worse.
Old 8/5/06, 07:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Kenichi Mifune
Which corner are you guys using the washer as a spacer?
For me, using it as a spacer on the same corner would've made it worse.
top inner, the ones you see right by the hood latch.
Old 8/7/06, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

The spacers are provided because the factory screws are just a hair too long with the new grille. As mentioned above, if you dont use the spacers/washers and you use the factory screws, the tip of the screw will start to "poke through" the front of the grille shell when tightened. Its not going to go all the way through, but it will cause a stress mark on the shell causing it to turn white in front of the grille. Place the spacers/washers on the screw head prior to screwing the lights in.
Old 1/15/07, 02:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great write-up, I'll be ordering my SSE next month
Old 1/15/07, 02:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Great write-up, I'll be ordering my SSE next month
You'll LOVE it. I sure do!
Old 11/6/07, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Heads up for anyone looking for one of these grills. Stillen has them on sale right now for $149 with free shipping (still have to pay $10 for insurance and oversized package). This is the best deal on the net as far as I can tell. It’s going to be delivered Thursday; I’ll post up some pics once installed with some unique badging I am planning!

Tim
Old 11/7/07, 06:30 AM

grillKSR center grille

Do You want to sell the KSR grille. Can You send me a PM I like the look. Thanks

Quick Reply: Street Scene center fog light grille review