05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Street Scene center fog light grille review

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/06, 12:16 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
If it were me, I'd use an original 65/66 emblem.
The one I'd stay away from is the '99-'04 emblem. That one is pretty small.
I think the 94-98 may be a little bigger and still comes with the tape.
Old 7/30/06, 12:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StangNut
If it were me, I'd use an original 65/66 emblem.
The one I'd stay away from is the '99-'04 emblem. That one is pretty small.
I think the 94-98 may be a little bigger and still comes with the tape.
Yep, that's what I'm going to use, the original 65/66 emblem. I've had a set waiting around for a year waiting for this center fog light grill to come out. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to attatch it.
Old 7/30/06, 01:22 PM

GRAYPNY.....What year emblem did you use ?
Old 7/30/06, 02:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used the pony package side emblem. I took it off and put on a Scott Drake 64-68 left hand side emblem made of metal. It is heavier so I hope the two sided sticky tape does its job. The other emblem was plastic. I'll get pictures when I get a chance and I agree it does look better! This emblem is 3 3/4 and the other one is 5 inches.

Last edited by GRAYPNY; 9/15/10 at 06:37 PM.
Old 7/30/06, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karrnutt
I don't understand their problem,I mounted my lights the same as they were on the stock grille,clipped on the extension wires,sat the grille on the bumper,lined up the tabs and gently pushed into place. There were no wiring hangups. I put the rad cover in place and inserted new pushpins, it is solid as a rock. Mine came with black plastic donuts, which I did not use when screwing the lights into the grille. Perhaps that is the reason for their clearance problems.If it does touch some parts of the crossmember and it looks good and everything buttons up tight ,then what are all the clearance problems. If it makes slight contact and looks okay maybe the contact will make it more solid.I don't want to insult anyone ,but it has to look right to me or I won't use it.Mine fits great ,1000% better than the KSR product ever did!

I used the black donut thing on one screw on each fog. I thought the instructinos said you MUST use them? My grill fit I just coulding aim the driver fog...the plug for the lamp would hit the crossmember and make the fog shoot to high.
Old 7/30/06, 08:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Finally, got the SS grille installed. I was very impressed with the grille, directions, wiring hareness, screws, packaging, and everything. Very high quality part for the price, looked very professional, not something that was just thrown together.

The only "other" was I needed to trim behind the driver's light to get the connection to fit. Nothing worse than cutting on your car to get some aftermarket part to fit, but oh well, it's just a little aluminum.

Also got the 65-66 Pony emblem installed. I like it.

Last edited by Hatchman; 3/7/08 at 05:09 AM.
Old 7/30/06, 08:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ok i know it is said somewhere here but how does this emblem go on the grill...i mean i want to use a 66-67 emblem and i know it hase the pin screws in the back so how does it go on
Old 7/30/06, 09:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
ok i know it is said somewhere here but how does this emblem go on the grill...i mean i want to use a 66-67 emblem and i know it hase the pin screws in the back so how does it go on
Innovative use of Industrial strength 3M double sided adhesive tape. Pretty thin, but really strong. First, I just cut some adhesive tape and put it on the emblem, and stuck it to the grille, but this is just to hold it in place for the time being. The problem with this is, there's not a lot of surface area for the emblem to stick to, just the very forward edge of the honeycombs.

I made kind of an L shaped 'bracket' formed out of the tape. I applied tape to the back of the emblem in several small sections with about an inch of excess unattatched. Then ran the excess in a 90 degree bend onto the grille and back down into the honeycombs. I then taped over the excess that you can see on the grille with black electric tape so it's harder to see the adhesive tape behind the emblem.

Feels pretty secure, but just like any thing taped on, if someone wanted to, they could rip it off.
Old 7/31/06, 01:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

i guess i will just bend some metal and see if i can make some holes to hold on to the pins from the emblem...does the back of the emblem have threads for a nut if it does AWESOME
Old 7/31/06, 08:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
i guess i will just bend some metal and see if i can make some holes to hold on to the pins from the emblem...does the back of the emblem have threads for a nut if it does AWESOME
OK, so I guess my whole response was for nothing.
Old 7/31/06, 09:14 AM

GRAYPNY & Hatch,
Those ponies turned out great. Now I know what size to use IF someone ever builds a no fogs/pony grille.

Just so no one gets anything mixed up, the 65/66 emblem is different from the 67/68 emblem... just like the bodystyle.
Old 7/31/06, 04:44 PM
Cobra Member

Well, I won't post a picture of mine since I have the KSR grill and this is a Street Scenes thread. But I used a grill pony for a 66 Shelby. I think the size is about right.
As for attachment. Didn't want to go the 3M tape route. So I took a couple of bolts, used some JB Weld to attach them to the back side of the emblem. Then a piece of metal with a couple of holes drilled in it to line up with the bolts. Stuck the pony emblem on the outside, bolts go through the grill, metal on the back side to hold it in place with a couple of nuts. Worked like a champ, and no worries of someone pulling it off or heat causing it to loosen.

OK, fine, I will post a pic. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Street Scene center fog light grille review-new-grill-4.jpg  
Old 7/31/06, 05:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think I will work on a more permanant mount also. BTW even though your grille isn't a SS it's looks awesome!
Old 7/31/06, 06:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Here are some comparsions of emblems.
In case your wondering I'm using the 94-98 side emblem
Old 7/31/06, 07:54 PM

I wonder how that compares to the 65/66 emblem.
I assume it's a little smaller.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 65/66 Shelby grille pony the exact same as the fender pony? (I'm not up on my Shelby facts)
Old 7/31/06, 10:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
I wonder how that compares to the 65/66 emblem.
I assume it's a little smaller.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 65/66 Shelby grille pony the exact same as the fender pony? (I'm not up on my Shelby facts)
Pretty sure it is. The place I ordered it from ( http://www.qualitymustang.com/emblems.html ) has it listed as a separate item, but the package it came in said fender emblem right side.
Old 7/31/06, 10:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I think I will work on a more permanant mount also. BTW even though your grille isn't a SS it's looks awesome!
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I will probably go ahead and swap it out when the gen 2 release of the KSR grills come around ( since it is offered for free ) but to be honest I really am not upset at the repair job I did to it. Shoot, my factory grill had just as many waves in it across the bottom.
Old 8/1/06, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawgman
Well, I won't post a picture of mine since I have the KSR grill and this is a Street Scenes thread. But I used a grill pony for a 66 Shelby. I think the size is about right.
As for attachment. Didn't want to go the 3M tape route. So I took a couple of bolts, used some JB Weld to attach them to the back side of the emblem. Then a piece of metal with a couple of holes drilled in it to line up with the bolts. Stuck the pony emblem on the outside, bolts go through the grill, metal on the back side to hold it in place with a couple of nuts. Worked like a champ, and no worries of someone pulling it off or heat causing it to loosen.

OK, fine, I will post a pic. Sorry.

Thats a great way to mount that sucker!
Old 8/1/06, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
All of your cars look awesome- great job everyone!!!

Can someone help me with the actual part number of this new grille? Want to be sure I get the right one...........
Does anybody still have them in-stock?
Old 8/1/06, 10:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Tom do a search on this website and the cost of the grille is $159.95

http://www.musclecardirect.com/store/index.php

Quick Reply: Street Scene center fog light grille review