Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

car & driver gets first drive of new cobra

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/05, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHAHA...I know....and I keep trying to fix the last 2 pages and they wont work............its only send pics w/o text!! I hate computers.
Old 6/7/05, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry-I can't do the last 2. If anyone wants me to email them the last pages w/stats I will and they can try to post. It just isn't working!!!!!!!!
Old 6/7/05, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

that was me with the 600 rwhp thing. I just typed a super long reply and it seems to have disappeared...
Old 6/9/05, 10:41 AM

Finally got my C&D and they did seem to like it quite a bit overall.

Positives were, of course, the power, but also the overall refinement of the thing. They were guestimating the power at 475, but said they woouldn't be surprised if it were significantly higher than that. They also said, as previously noted, that bigger meats would be fitted into the rear wheel wells.

Negatives were that it was getting a bit porky, especially on the nose where the FE block SC motor itself weighs some 175lbs more than the GT's 4.6 and some lack of feel in the steering. Shame they didn't go with an AL block as I imagine that might shave off at least half that motor weight gain, oh well. Perhaps a bit of tuning of the steering might help that before it hits the streets.

Granted, all of this was based on limited seat time in pre-production prototypes, so don't take any of this, good or bad, as being engraved in granite. More extensive testing of production models over a variety of driving conditions may well reveal additional items in either the credit/debit columns. But initial indications are that it will be quite an impressive piece.
Old 6/9/05, 02:03 PM
Cobra Member

The GT500 will be an impressive piece without a doubt. These cars will be capable of 600 + hp with just a few mods such as a pulley change, CAI and chip. Sweet!!! :worship: :worship:
Old 6/9/05, 02:07 PM
Cobra R Member

i'm glad i only discovered this thread after getting the magazine, it musta been heck for some of you guys.
They said it was a very wet day when they drove this thing, so they didn't get that great a chance to get an impression. The 12.5 second quarter mile and 0-60 in 4 seconds were both estimates. I think its funny that they put "475hp, 12 second quarter mile!" on the cover of the mag when those are just guesses.
Old 6/9/05, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by rhumb@June 9, 2005, 10:44 AM
Finally got my C&D and they did seem to like it quite a bit overall.

Positives were, of course, the power, but also the overall refinement of the thing. They were guestimating the power at 475, but said they woouldn't be surprised if it were significantly higher than that. They also said, as previously noted, that bigger meats would be fitted into the rear wheel wells.

Negatives were that it was getting a bit porky, especially on the nose where the FE block SC motor itself weighs some 175lbs more than the GT's 4.6 and some lack of feel in the steering. Shame they didn't go with an AL block as I imagine that might shave off at least half that motor weight gain, oh well. Perhaps a bit of tuning of the steering might help that before it hits the streets.

Granted, all of this was based on limited seat time in pre-production prototypes, so don't take any of this, good or bad, as being engraved in granite. More extensive testing of production models over a variety of driving conditions may well reveal additional items in either the credit/debit columns. But initial indications are that it will be quite an impressive piece.
I suspect that this car - as a whole - will be quite a competent performer. Given that this is the flagship of a popular new Stang...and given that it is the first Stang to wear the Shelby name in 35 years, if you think about it, Ford can't really afford to f*ck it up.

I also suspect that further work as we move towards the production vehicle can only serve to improve the car...rather than the other way 'round.
Old 6/9/05, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@June 9, 2005, 1:10 PM
i'm glad i only discovered this thread after getting the magazine, it musta been heck for some of you guys.
They said it was a very wet day when they drove this thing, so they didn't get that great a chance to get an impression. The 12.5 second quarter mile and 0-60 in 4 seconds were both estimates. I think its funny that they put "475hp, 12 second quarter mile!" on the cover of the mag when those are just guesses.

:worship: Totally!!!! They drove the "mule"...and cruised around in the show car.Neither was even hooked up to equipment!!! jeez..anything to sell magazines and do a little 'ho"ing for Ford. C and D was not honest with us....but who pays their bills anyway? If you think it's the readers ,you are seriously naive. Look at all the Audi articles in the same issue with no comment on Audi's FUGLY styling.
Old 6/9/05, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hayburner@June 9, 2005, 8:38 PM
:worship: Totally!!!! They drove the "mule"...and cruised around in the show car.Neither was even hooked up to equipment!!! jeez..anything to sell magazines and do a little 'ho"ing for Ford. C and D was not honest with us....but who pays their bills anyway? If you think it's the readers ,you are seriously naive. Look at all the Audi articles in the same issue with no comment on Audi's FUGLY styling.
Yeah, those Audis are so ugly, especially the interiors.
Old 6/10/05, 06:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most significant piece of info I saw in the article was "when they hit showrooms next June." I sure hope so. I'm tired of waiting.
Old 6/11/05, 10:03 PM
Cobra Member

The most interesting thing about the article was the section on the super charger. Ford wanted to use the same twin screw the FORD GT uses instead of the root style supercharger. However, the company that builds the supercharger the GT uses won't be able supply the quantity that FORD wants for the Shelby. Hopefully this means FORD plans on building alot of Shelby GT500's.
Old 6/12/05, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

They NEED to shave some weight off that car. The weight distribution is Terribly overweightrd to the front. Relocate the battery to the trunk would redistribute 50 pounds or so. I hope it handles and the paint quality is better then the regular Mustang GT has. Also they need to get some of the notchiness out of the shifter and come up with a shorter throw, something you just flick. They said June 06 do you think they'll be rolling out then?? I hope so!
Old 6/12/05, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I can't wait to drive one!