V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Shelby V6?

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/05, 12:10 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Carroll Shelby is slated to appear at the Vortech booth at SEMA next week.
Old 10/28/05, 12:24 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TheMustangSource@October 28, 2005, 10:13 AM
It will be awsome when you add the V6 Shelby to the Mustang timeline..

Also, hopefully you will receive pictures of the car, wheels, and engine bay, interior...

What do you think we can expect from this type of vehicle? Do you think they will place the car in between the GT and GT500?
Old 10/28/05, 12:25 PM

Maybe a GT350??
Old 10/28/05, 01:03 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@October 28, 2005, 10:28 AM
Maybe a GT350??

That would be nice!! Have you had a chance to test drive the 05+ V6 5spd? If so, what was your initial impression, when comparing the car to Older Mustang GT's?

I understand you may be alittle spoiled now with your new 06 GT!

Looking at the timeline and remebering the feeling of driving the Mustang SVO and even a Mustang GT which topped out at 200HP, the 05 V6 is actually doing quite well for itself..

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/79-86/86/

This takes us to the year 1987, where the most popular of all GT's stems from.. This car rolled out of the factory with 225HP, and this gives off 191RWHP.. This is pretty close to a stock 05V6.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/87-93/87/

I have always been amazed at how alot of people simply take these facts and toss them out the window because of the V6 badge.. Whats your take on that situation?

Also again here in 1998, we see another GT which is in the same power class at the 05V6!

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/94-98/98/
Old 10/28/05, 01:07 PM

I have driven a 2005 V6 5-speed and was really impressed. It's pretty quick off the line and has a good exhaust note.
Old 10/28/05, 01:24 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@October 28, 2005, 11:10 AM
I have driven a 2005 V6 5-speed and was really impressed. It's pretty quick off the line and has a good exhaust note.
Yes, that exhaust note is enhanced by installing a MagnaFlow XPIPE properly, along with either a 15" resonator, or Flowmaster Series 40 mufflers..

I must stress however, the resonator after a good break in sounds awsome.. Most guys have not considered it, but I put it into practice about 4 months ago.. The 15" Magnaflow Resonator sounds awsome..

I will go out on a limb and say that the way the current SOHC 4.0 motor is setup, expect tons of torque to be produced with a Vortech Supercharger.. I am guessing the torque level of this new V6 will easily be at about 400RWTQ.. This is going to raise a bunch of eyebrows for the cars impecable 1/8 mile time.. The SOHC 4.0 by its very nature loves to give off lots of torque.. A Vortech Supercharger i'm quite sure is going to exploit this fact.. The question remains whether Shelby will continue with the V6 tradition, and use a 7.5 T-LOK, or upgrade it to an 8.8 rear-end.. I sure would like for him to stick with the 7.5 tradition, by possibly reinforcing the 7.5 T-Lok with a Girdle, which is embossed with Shelby! This would be visable by all who are left in the wake of the mighty V6 Shelby! LOL!

I guess you can tell I am a die-hard V6'er.. This only happened with this 05-V6.. I have owned several Mustangs.. I am a fanatic..

1. 1984 GT350

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/79-86/84/

2. 1988 Saleen Mustang Black #635

http://www.marcpoole.com/cars/saleen.html

3. 1993 Mustang Cobra- Red

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/87-93/93/

4. 1995 Mustang GT-- Last year for the 5.0, and I got scared, so bought another one, and owned both the 95 GT and 93 Cobra at the same time.. Both Red! LOL!

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/94-98/95/

5. 1966 Mustang 289 Hi-Po 4spd--really enjoyed the gear-drive

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...6/66/index.htm

All of that, which now proudly brings me to this point!!

6. http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/v6.htm
Old 10/28/05, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@October 28, 2005, 12:13 PM
Sounds like time for an unveiling... Only wish I could be there!!
Old 10/28/05, 02:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dustindu4@October 28, 2005, 9:34 AM
wow

I had doubts because when people think Shelby, they don't think V6. They think V8 muscle cars that make rediculous horsepower. No offense to the V6 guys here.
Guess you never heard of the GLH?
Old 10/28/05, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait for this, we only have to hold out a week!!!! I googled this topic and can't find anything on it.....so I'm chompin at the bit on this one.

MSP,

Did you keep any of those stangs...or are they all gone?
Old 10/28/05, 04:17 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@October 28, 2005, 2:16 PM
Can't wait for this, we only have to hold out a week!!!! I googled this topic and can't find anything on it.....so I'm chompin at the bit on this one.

MSP,

Did you keep any of those stangs...or are they all gone?

LOL!! I wish I had kept the 1966.. Even my wife says she misses that car.. She used to drive it to work alot! LOL!! Which means, maybe after I finish up on the V6, she will let me buy another.. But then there is this promised GT500 thing.. LOL!

So nope, all gone.. But I'm happy with my Legendary 2005 V6 Mustang! He is good enough to help me to forget all the others! Except for the 1966! Dang!!
Old 10/28/05, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by MSP@October 28, 2005, 5:20 PM
LOL!! I wish I had kept the 1966.. Even my wife says she misses that car.. She used to drive it to work alot! LOL!! Which means, maybe after I finish up on the V6, she will let me buy another.. But then there is this promised GT500 thing.. LOL!

So nope, all gone.. But I'm happy with my Legendary 2005 V6 Mustang! He is good enough to help me to forget all the others! Except for the 1966! Dang!!

Yea!!! The 66 is what caught my eye, hard car to part with. I don't miss my 93 5.0 compared to my new 6, but getting this car was a compromise. My wife let me get it instead of buying a old 67-70 stang and restoring it, she thought if I bought new, I wouldn't pour a bunch of money into it.....she also thought I wouln't end up at the track after a 10 year retirement from it.

She was wrong!

Just got back from a new muscle shop that opened 5 miles from my house today!!!! They are gathering up a quote for my next purchase (ford tlok, girdle, 4.10 gears - still thinking on those, and a NOS kit - wet system). They just opened, and I am the first 05 stang project car to walk in (so they were keen to get my business and possibly sponsor me), so I am going to try them out on the tlok and gears...if they do the job well, then I told them I will participate in the local events for them, promote thier name, etc and they will give me another 15% off on parts/labor. They said they can get NOS cheaper than ZEX cause they get a better discount on it.

I will post prices shortly.

More info to come on this, espeically if I can get some people here good discounts from them on parts.
Old 10/28/05, 07:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just posted this on another mustang related board and the first reply I got was that "Ford shouldn't make V6's and if you can't afford a GT or SE then you shouldn't own one" Gotta love some people. I still can't wait to see how this developes.

On a side note, my parents had a 68 fastback they bought new and decided to scrap it in the mid 70's because the tranny went. Boy do they regret that move now, grr....
Old 10/28/05, 09:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@October 28, 2005, 6:17 AM

It's true.
:shock:

That is great! I can't wait to see pictures of this car.
Old 10/28/05, 09:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@October 28, 2005, 7:37 AM
I don't think it would push out more than the GT but it would be close, like 270 HP/250 TQ max. Carroll said himself that HP sells cars but TQ wins races.
It makes 210hp and 240lb/tq stock. It's practically impossibe to gain 60hp and 10 lbs.
With a VCT valvetrain, retooled heads, performance cams, forged internals with dome pistons for high compression and we could have a sophisticaed, N/A V6 that is built for road racing in mind. A high, fast revving monster. Great handling and you have a well balanced car
Man what a track car it would make (low weight, high power, great weight balance), it would be ideal to fit the bill of a GT350.
Don't get me wrong I love a V8 like you wouldn't believe, me owning a V6 now doesn't change my open state of mind, but you have to admit a factory tuned high displacement V6 is still pretty darn cool.
Old 10/28/05, 09:57 PM
Cobra Member

wow that does surprise me, I mean I think it's cool but I gotta admit when I read the first post I was thinking, yeah that won't happen.

very well kept secret, I'd like to know some numbers.
Old 10/29/05, 04:31 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@October 28, 2005, 2:32 PM
Yea!!! The 66 is what caught my eye, hard car to part with. I don't miss my 93 5.0 compared to my new 6, but getting this car was a compromise. My wife let me get it instead of buying a old 67-70 stang and restoring it, she thought if I bought new, I wouldn't pour a bunch of money into it.....she also thought I wouln't end up at the track after a 10 year retirement from it.

She was wrong!

Just got back from a new muscle shop that opened 5 miles from my house today!!!! They are gathering up a quote for my next purchase (ford tlok, girdle, 4.10 gears - still thinking on those, and a NOS kit - wet system). They just opened, and I am the first 05 stang project car to walk in (so they were keen to get my business and possibly sponsor me), so I am going to try them out on the tlok and gears...if they do the job well, then I told them I will participate in the local events for them, promote thier name, etc and they will give me another 15% off on parts/labor. They said they can get NOS cheaper than ZEX cause they get a better discount on it.

I will post prices shortly.

More info to come on this, espeically if I can get some people here good discounts from them on parts.

I'm in on the NOS kit.. However, it is very important that I see what Powerhouse is going to do with this turbo.. I am so excited at the thought of an 11 sec 05 V6!

But yeah, get me a price on the NOS kit, and maybe he'll cut a better deal if we just buy them together.. I can just send the cash through Paypal to you, and you ship the kit!
Old 10/29/05, 04:40 AM

Will do, I should have some pricing by monday.
Old 10/29/05, 04:52 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@October 29, 2005, 2:43 AM
Will do, I should have some pricing by monday.
Kool! Ok back on topic, I dont want to insert anything else into this lovely thread! LOL!

My guess is, like I mentioned earlier, I am almost certain Vortech is going to squeeze in something on the range of 385 to 400 RWHP for the Shelby V6..

There could also be a situation where Shelby is concerned about the ability to produce enough GT500's that will get priced fairley, and understands the need for a GT350.. If thats what they end up calling the Shelby V6..

If in fact the car is setup with 385 to 400 RWHP, and they are easy to get ahold of, I would most definately forgoe my plans on a GT500, and opt for this..

My one concern is this though.. I am so into my current 05 V6, with all the potential it has, its going to be hard for me to give it up.. LOL!! Not sure if that makes any sense.. But at this point, since I have a game plan laid out for it, I honestly cant see myself parting with it..
Old 10/29/05, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by MSP@October 29, 2005, 5:55 AM
Kool! Ok back on topic, I dont want to insert anything else into this lovely thread! LOL!

My guess is, like I mentioned earlier, I am almost certain Vortech is going to squeeze in something on the range of 385 to 400 RWTQ for the Shelby V6..

There could also be a situation where Shelby is concerned about the ability to produce enough GT500's that will get priced fairley, and understands the need for a GT350.. If thats what they end up calling the Shelby V6..

If in fact the car is setup with 385 to 400 RWTQ, and they are easy to get ahold of, I would most definately forgoe my plans on a GT500, and opt for this..

My one concern is this though.. I am so into my current 05 V6, with all the potential it has, its going to be hard for me to give it up.. LOL!! Not sure if that makes any sense.. But at this point, since I have a game plan laid out for it, I honestly cant see myself parting with it..

Hmmmm, why part with it.....when you can pattern your current V6 after the Shelby setup. If the Shelby name is behind it, then we can count on the mods they did to be reliable on our 6's. We can piggy back on all thier R&D.
Old 10/29/05, 05:10 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@October 29, 2005, 3:04 AM
Hmmmm, why part with it.....when you can pattern your current V6 after the Shelby setup. If the Shelby name is behind it, then we can count on the mods they did to be reliable on our 6's. We can piggy back on all thier R&D.
Thats what I mean pretty much.. There is not a need for us to need to swap over.. I can understand the V8 guys, being more interested in the 5.4 Liter GT500.. Thats a huge jump up.. But for us, its not needed...

Be nice when we can see some pics of this thing next week.. I want to know all the specs, from the rear-end to the compression ratio..

I am wondering since Vortech is tooling the car, if they swapped out the pistons for a dished type, as opposed to our Flat-Tops, in order to lower the compression ratio, to increase the boost level.. There are tons of details we need on this car, to understand what they have done..

You best be assured, that most likley they have installed forged dished pistons in the car.. If this is the case, my prediction of 400RWHP will most likley be available upon purchase, or with a tune afterwards.. But seeing how this is Vortech's project, trust me on the Forged Dished pistons..

Quick Reply: Shelby V6?