V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

MSP's Vortech V6 2005 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/06, 06:12 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 2, 2006, 5:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
lets do it!!!

is it ok if i cheat and use the cobra? lol
[/b][/quote]

Speaking of Cobra's Fazm.. I made a special portion of video just for you!! Stand by!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

The file size is 21MB.. I cant get it to work.. I can email it to you, and maybe you can host it..
Old 2/2/06, 06:14 PM
Cobra R Member

awesome, standing by
Old 2/2/06, 07:16 PM
V6 Member

That's excellent, man! I'd keep it rich, as rich as possible for now until we've got the tolerance down. You're running 10 PSI of boost there, I'm only running 7 and I'm still keeping the A/F rich as all heck. The guys who wrote my tune leaned it out to near dangerous levels and had the RWHP at 315. On 7 PSI of boost! And this is a darn auto!

But no, I wouldn't mess with lean A/F on our stock engines at 10PSI. Be darn happy with your numbers now and enjoy.
Old 2/2/06, 07:20 PM
Cobra R Member

msp, try www.supload.com
Old 2/2/06, 07:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, I added MSP's, belial's and scrming's real world numbers to the main post in the power adders thread. Hope this is ok with everyone. If not, let me know. Or if you have any corrections, let me know.

I also put pics of the Vortech, Procharger and scrming's "twins" on the main post. I added a few more details based on MSP's posts and at belial's suggestions for the Vortech and Procharger, respectively.

If there's anything else I can add(or if you think i should scrap the whole thing!), let me know. Hopefully this will be a good resource for perspective buyers, so they'll know exactly what the benefits and dangers of each system is.
Old 2/2/06, 07:58 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 2, 2006, 8:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, I added MSP's, belial's and scrming's real world numbers to the main post in the power adders thread. Hope this is ok with everyone. If not, let me know. Or if you have any corrections, let me know.

I also put pics of the Vortech, Procharger and scrming's "twins" on the main post. I added a few more details based on MSP's posts and at belial's suggestions for the Vortech and Procharger, respectively.

If there's anything else I can add(or if you think i should scrap the whole thing!), let me know. Hopefully this will be a good resource for perspective buyers, so they'll know exactly what the benefits and dangers of each system is.
[/b][/quote]

maybe some more info on the powerdyne setup? Seems awfully cheap when compared to the others.
Old 2/2/06, 08:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 2, 2006, 11:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
maybe some more info on the powerdyne setup? Seems awfully cheap when compared to the others.
[/b][/quote]

I think that was MSP's contribution. I don't really have any more info, just what's posted on the Ebay ad. I can't really believe any of that until I see some concrete evidence. Maybe I'll remove it if nothing materializes.
Old 2/2/06, 10:38 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Belial @ February 2, 2006, 6:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's excellent, man! I'd keep it rich, as rich as possible for now until we've got the tolerance down. You're running 10 PSI of boost there, I'm only running 7 and I'm still keeping the A/F rich as all heck. The guys who wrote my tune leaned it out to near dangerous levels and had the RWHP at 315. On 7 PSI of boost! And this is a darn auto!

But no, I wouldn't mess with lean A/F on our stock engines at 10PSI. Be darn happy with your numbers now and enjoy.
[/b][/quote]

I have recently discovered and now understand how the Procharger can generate those numbers while at 7PSI!! Its because of the Self contained oil system... With the Vortech its using the engine oil to lubricate the Supercharger.. The Procharger has a self contained oil system...

Today I noticed that after normal driving of my car, the Supercharger was too hot to touch... The heat stays hot to the touch up to 1 to 2 hours aftr the engine has been turned off... So what this means is, the Air-to-Water Aftercooler must not only cool off the compressed air of the Supercharger, but it must also cool off the air from being heated up by the Supercharger unit itself.. Needless to say, a good remedy for this is a ram air hood.. This will allow more air to enter the the engine bay area, and atleast keep the temps down, alothough its a constant battle, because the oil will recirculate through the oil pan and heat it back up....

So putting all things aside, the actual cooling efficiency of the Air-to-Water Aftercooler is quite spectacular... The Vortech unit does have alot of heat which must be removed, and cooled inside the Aftercooler before it enters the engine... Looking at the actual amount of heat, which is contained in the supercharger, I would say the amount of raw power created under those adverse conditions is quite remarkable...

So yes, the Procharger system may make more power @ 7psi, but I bet the temperature of the Supercharger is most likley 500 degrees cooler than the Vortech supercharger, based on the heating effect of the engine oil circulated into the supercharger..

I will be getting a Pyrometer to hook up to the Supercharger, to keep an eye on this temperature range.. I would suggest you do the same, so we can both compare at a later time the actual dailey driving temps of both units, to better undertstand the difference a self contained unit over a oil pan tapped unit... Again, this goes to the actual efficiency of the Aftercoolers ability to cool and remove a tremendous amount of heat, from the compressed air, before it enters the throttle body!!
Old 2/2/06, 10:42 PM
V6 Member

Not a bad idea... I have some money burning a hole in my pocket, I guess some gauges and meters are a good way to spend it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/2/06, 10:49 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Belial @ February 2, 2006, 9:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Not a bad idea... I have some money burning a hole in my pocket, I guess some gauges and meters are a good way to spend it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Yes, I installed a Stewart Warner Boost gauge this morning, and it felt good understand whats going on Psi wise as it relates to the S/C duties while under a load.. Example is, while on the dyno in 4th gear, the Supercharger went to 10PSI @ 4500RPM...

What this means is, when setting up the car, and trying to understand how everything will start to play out during a 1/4 mile run, I can expect full boost to take place in the last 1/8th of the race.. What happens is the gears 1st through 3rd, typically tac out too quick to reach full boost.. Meaning before the Supercharger actually gets to 10PSI, its time to shift...

I think this is valuable information for us as we are new to the S/C scene with our V6's... We have a huge learning curve which we must steer through and attain knowledge over the course of time... I didnt know this before or understand it.. But yes, you wont get 10psi of boost until the last 1/8th of the race, where it truley is needed the most..
Old 2/3/06, 10:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 2, 2006, 11:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yes, I installed a Stewart Warner Boost gauge this morning, and it felt good understand whats going on Psi wise as it relates to the S/C duties while under a load.. Example is, while on the dyno in 4th gear, the Supercharger went to 10PSI @ 4500RPM...

What this means is, when setting up the car, and trying to understand how everything will start to play out during a 1/4 mile run, I can expect full boost to take place in the last 1/8th of the race.. What happens is the gears 1st through 3rd, typically tac out too quick to reach full boost.. Meaning before the Supercharger actually gets to 10PSI, its time to shift...

I think this is valuable information for us as we are new to the S/C scene with our V6's... We have a huge learning curve which we must steer through and attain knowledge over the course of time... I didnt know this before or understand it.. But yes, you wont get 10psi of boost until the last 1/8th of the race, where it truley is needed the most..
[/b][/quote]

Maybe you aren't explaining this right, but it doesn't make sense to me. Centrifugal Superchargers build boost based on rpm. The higher the rpm the more boost they build. What you are saying is that it built 10 psi of boost at 4500 and held that to redline? That doesn't make sense to me. Also, you will see full boost in 1st and 2nd gear, just for short periods.
Old 2/3/06, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 2, 2006, 4:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Dont sell me short with no SAE crap! LOL!! Its 310RWHP!! LOL!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I know, everybody acts like STD is not corrected!!! So, like Rygen, I get both.

Wow, man, that is 100 more RWHP than I have, and I get to 60 in 6 seconds. Get a G-Tech....

You will be KILLIN' at the track! Be careful out there....
Old 2/3/06, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 3, 2006, 3:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok!! I am telling you what I was told.. I am going to get back with him Max2000Jp, just to double check for you.. The guys name is ED.. I will double check with him, and get an understanding of the situation better.. This stuff is all new to me as well.. I never said I was an expert.. So just for the sake of argument, I will check with him.. You are asking a good reasonable question, where an absolute answer and explanation is in order.. Thanks for pointing it out.. Let me find out more..
[/b][/quote]

Honestly, if he said that you are making 10 psi @ 4500, you are probably making a pound or two more near redline. As the compressor spins faster, it builds more boost. You have a bit more to rev past 4500.
Old 2/3/06, 02:21 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 3, 2006, 1:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Honestly, if he said that you are making 10 psi @ 4500, you are probably making a pound or two more near redline. As the compressor spins faster, it builds more boost. You have a bit more to rev past 4500.
[/b][/quote]

Ok what the guy said is that since your on the dyno, the motor is not pushing the car down the road.. Which means no wind resistance, wieght of the car, and tire to road friction.. He said this allows the supercharger to build up boost faster, because the engine is reving without the added stresses.. He said he honestly didnt have any scientific data behind it, except to say thats what he saw.. He aslo said some cars can make 12psi on the dyno, but on the street they could only make 10psi... This is a really tough question.. The answers to which seem to be really lurky.. Maybe Forced can find out more info in this regard..

You always ask very good precise questions Max200JP.. LOL!! This one is extremely tough to explain..

He also did say that 10PSI @ max rpm or 6000 rpm is not always the case.. I know that is true cause I have never seen 10psi in 1st or 2nd or 3rd gear.. I would imagine that going WOT in 4th gear is enough load on the car to force 10psi even though your not at your max rpm... You know I will get yelled at if I try it.. On the dyno my car went 135mph in 4th gear.. Which means I cant even test it on the streets... I would also be well over 110 MPH in 4th gear @ 4500RPM... So I'm stuck! Lets hope someone has a better answer for this.. I am curious myself about this, and was suprised when he said it went to 10psi @ 4500rpm myself...

Darn good question Max2000Jp!! Darn good question... Help me find an answer if you dont mind.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 3, 2006, 3:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok what the guy said is that since your on the dyno, the motor is not pushing the car down the road.. Which means no wind resistance, wieght of the car, and tire to road friction.. He said this allows the supercharger to build up boost faster, because the engine is reving without the added stresses.. He said he honestly didnt have any scientific data behind it, except to say thats what he saw.. He aslo said some cars can make 12psi on the dyno, but on the street they could only make 10psi... This is a really tough question.. The answers to which seem to be really lurky.. Maybe Forced can find out more info in this regard..

You always ask very good precise questions Max200JP.. LOL!! This one is extremely tough to explain..

He also did say that 10PSI @ max rpm or 6000 rpm is not always the case.. I know that is true cause I have never seen 10psi in 1st or 2nd or 3rd gear.. I would imagine that going WOT in 4th gear is enough load on the car to force 10psi even though your not at your max rpm... You know I will get yelled at if I try it.. On the dyno my car went 135mph in 4th gear.. Which means I cant even test it on the streets... I would also be well over 110 MPH in 4th gear @ 4500RPM... So I'm stuck! Lets hope someone has a better answer for this.. I am curious myself about this, and was suprised when he said it went to 10psi @ 4500rpm myself...

Darn good question Max2000Jp!! Darn good question... Help me find an answer if you dont mind.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

IIRC you tested on a Mustang Dyno. This is directly from mustang's webiste: "Mustang Dynamometers are unique. All Mustang Dynamometers are loading dynamometers designed to duplicate real world operating conditions. Our patented control system uses eddy current power absorbers to load a vehicle exactly the way it would be loaded on the street -- including wind resistance, which is a significant factor in high-speed testing. Mustang dynos also feature a load cell to measure the power being applied to the rolls. Without going into a lot of theory, a Mustang dyno gives you a real world tune, every time."

I have seen my friend's 350Z dyno and it makes exactly the same boost on the dyno and off, taking into considerations that the conditions are the same.
Old 2/3/06, 02:45 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 3, 2006, 1:36 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
IIRC you tested on a Mustang Dyno. This is directly from mustang's webiste: "Mustang Dynamometers are unique. All Mustang Dynamometers are loading dynamometers designed to duplicate real world operating conditions. Our patented control system uses eddy current power absorbers to load a vehicle exactly the way it would be loaded on the street -- including wind resistance, which is a significant factor in high-speed testing. Mustang dynos also feature a load cell to measure the power being applied to the rolls. Without going into a lot of theory, a Mustang dyno gives you a real world tune, every time."

I have seen my friend's 350Z dyno and it makes exactly the same boost on the dyno and off, taking into considerations that the conditions are the same.
[/b][/quote]

I'll see if I can find out more info on the subject... Right now I am trying to make a small piece of video... I tested on a DynoJet Dyno.. I am sure it simulates the appropriate conditions.. See what you can find out about a Dynojet and the differences between the two..

@ALL

Been having problems getting a good video.. Not sure on the one I just made whether or not the sound will be simulated properly.. LOL!! This is frustrationg for sure..
Old 2/3/06, 04:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I would add that IF your goal was to have more HP than anyone else, starting from the v-6 was a poor choice...no replacement for displacement [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] . That does not seem to be your goal....it appears that you liked the car you chose and want to make it powerful....which you have done and will probably be an ongoing thing....just 5 more HP....thats all I need [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] .

I for one enjoy reading the successes and failures of everyones cars as I am learning a lot along the way. Dude your V6 rules and my Cobra and GT both bow down to it. I for one want to keep reading the saga known as MSP
Old 2/3/06, 05:11 PM
GT Member

hey MY05GT - vert lookin real sweet [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

My feelings exactly... well said
Old 2/3/06, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the mod’s that chimed in made it very clear, and that is:

“Those are good numbersâ€

Can’t mistake that, that is a compliment, and those numbers are good. Doesn’t matter what engine, V4, V6 or V8, it’s still a stang, and those are still darn good numbers. They might have constructive input on numbers and track times, but I think it did come across as constructive.

I can remember not too long ago when I posted my first numbers, 193 RWHP, of course Scrming was quick to tell me to scan up the sheet, and let me know that those numbers were not corrected, they were in fact STD numbers. It was a good experience and from that I learned two things, what a TC spike is, and what STD is vs. SAE. Now I only post SAE numbers (but like to see what the STD numbers are as well, LOL). I took it exactly as he meant me to take it, a learning experience and constructive.

And I will be straight up, when it comes to SC, TC and N20, I get a ton of information from the V6 forum, but there is a lot of information in the GT forum as well. The same principles apply, now the technical details are different, but I did learn a lot from our GT brothers, and to me, a stang is a stang. Heck, I used to own a 5.0!

We are all here for two main reasons, one cause we love our stangs and two, because we love learning about them so we can modify them. Some of us have goals for 300 RWHP, some higher, some lower. Some have a goal of a 12 second car, 13 second car or 10 second car. And we are all here to help each other. There is always someone faster out there, but your stang is your own. I’m proud of mine, I know many V6 and V8 stang owners that are proud of thiers!

I have told everyone my goal, to prove the Ford V6 in the stang can catch up to a 350z. Might not be easy for me, but I’m determined to do it. Why, because I enjoy it. My goal is not to catch up to my V8 brothers, as they are in a different class with a different base line. I applaud them for holding the stang torch to the other V8’s that challenge the stang at the track, and I will do my part in the V6 class.
Old 2/3/06, 10:23 PM
V6 Member

I dunno, my goal is to have a car that I enjoy driving and taking to the track. And, I mean, clearly, to have one of the finest looking pieces of sheetmetal out there. I think everybody on this board shares this goal. No more drama please?

Quick Reply: MSP's Vortech V6 2005 Mustang