GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mustang GT Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/07, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice write-up scott. mine is also installed and i'll be testing it out on my way home in the morning..
Old 10/26/07, 05:22 AM
Cobra Member

Okay so I just got home and I took mine out for a speed errr, I mean a drive on my way home. So first off it feels alot better with the decel set at 50mph...huge improvement..

The other things that dont make sense are...

1) The torque converter isnt locking in like it used to. Not even close. Before changing the tune to add this decel update, even on the final shift it would lock in hard and you definitely knew it. It feels somewhat soft now.

2) When shifting into 2nd it still spun loose, but again, not even close to what it did before.

Any thoughts or suggestions???

Makes me wish I would of wrote over my 89 perf tune with this one, that way I kept my other tune.
Old 10/26/07, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Colby,
I hate to hear yours isn't quite right. Mine still locks in just like it did before the decel update. Are you sure it isn't locking? It is easy to tell by appling some gas pedal once in gear and watching the tach. The rpm should not flare that 400 or so rpm like it did when it was stock. It should remain solid and increase only as your speed increases. If it does flare my only guess would be when Doug updated your tune he some how forget about the TQ lock up part. If that's the case he is the only one that can help you.
Scott
Old 10/26/07, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Colby,
I hate to hear yours isn't quite right. Mine still locks in just like it did before the decel update. Are you sure it isn't locking? It is easy to tell by appling some gas pedal once in gear and watching the tach. The rpm should not flare that 400 or so rpm like it did when it was stock. It should remain solid and increase only as your speed increases. If it does flare my only guess would be when Doug updated your tune he some how forget about the TQ lock up part. If that's the case he is the only one that can help you.
Scott
I’m not sure my converter is locking either. When I let off the gas while driving the car returns to idle and I get the flare, it’s definitely not locked up at least in 4th or OD. One other issue I have with mine is a lag or delay when downshifting manually; it takes 2-3 seconds before the car actually downshifts.

Tim
Old 10/26/07, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
I’m not sure my converter is locking either. When I let off the gas while driving the car returns to idle and I get the flare, it’s definitely not locked up at least in 4th or OD. One other issue I have with mine is a lag or delay when downshifting manually; it takes 2-3 seconds before the car actually downshifts.

Tim
Tim,
The torque converter does unlock when you get off the gas and are coasting or put your foot on the brake. If it didn't you would get a bucking action going on. The converter is only locked while accelerating or cruising at a constant speed. To test the rpm flare you need to check it while your moving along not coasting. When coasting and you hit the gas you should get a minor rpm flare and then feel the converter lock. If you think about it the converter has to be unlocked to shift gears. When you are coasting or slowing down the transmission is getting ready to downshift. The converter has to be unlocked to do this. As far as lag in downshifting goes mine does the same thing. It did this with the stock tune also. I think this is normal. The computer will not let you downshift into a gear that can harm anything. I don't think Doug can improve that lag time.
Scott
Old 10/26/07, 06:34 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Colby,
Scott
So I double checked this method today and noticed that if I even touch the gas slightly the rpm's jump 4-500.

Hate to have to keep bugging Doug about this...
Old 10/26/07, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tim,
The torque converter does unlock when you get off the gas and are coasting or put your foot on the brake. If it didn't you would get a bucking action going on. The converter is only locked while accelerating or cruising at a constant speed. To test the rpm flare you need to check it while your moving along not coasting. When coasting and you hit the gas you should get a minor rpm flare and then feel the converter lock. If you think about it the converter has to be unlocked to shift gears. When you are coasting or slowing down the transmission is getting ready to downshift. The converter has to be unlocked to do this. As far as lag in downshifting goes mine does the same thing. It did this with the stock tune also. I think this is normal. The computer will not let you downshift into a gear that can harm anything. I don't think Doug can improve that lag time.
Scott
Thanks a lot for explaining this to me. I was able to perform the test and confirm my torque converter is locking up as advertised.

As for my manual shifting issue, Doug’s not sure what might be going on. On the regular race tune things behave normally and manually shifting into third results in an immediate downshift. It’s only the 55sft tune that is affected by the delay. And for some reason, when I turn the OD off, it too behaves normally. It’s certainly not a big deal and I’m very happy with the tune overall.

It’s finally cooling down here in Texas, and taking the Pony out for a spin was a riot. Even from a rolling start mashing the petal resulted in the wheels breaking loose and ripping rubber well into second gear! This tune is absolutely incredible, and the OD upshift/downshift points suit my driving style perfectly.

Tim
Old 11/6/07, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There are alot of places I can put these "Kudos" for Doug @ Bamachips but since alot of us worked with Doug on this auto trans lock up tune I decided to put my praise for him here. Hope he sees it.
I have purchased a set of CMCP delete plates and need to get my latest tune from Doug update for this addition to my car. I email Doug at 5:51 this evening requesting that he update his tune for the plates. This is unbelievable to me but I received my updated tune a mere 16 minutes later at 6:07. Now that is customer service at it best. Doug.....thanks man...your awesome just like your tunes.
Scott
Old 11/7/07, 01:23 AM
Cobra Member

Now that is fast. You didnt mention the seconds hand, so I have to think your not 100% accurate, but I wont hold you to it.

How was the install on the delete plates? I looked them up after you mentioned getting them.
Old 11/7/07, 04:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
Now that is fast. You didnt mention the seconds hand, so I have to think your not 100% accurate, but I wont hold you to it.

How was the install on the delete plates? I looked them up after you mentioned getting them.
Colby
Haven't done the install yet. Need a tune first. It is a project planned for the Thanksgiving weekend. Here is a link to TacoBill install if you are interested. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=65977
And you correct I didn't put a track on the second hand.
Scott