GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mustang GT Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/07, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Clark Kent
i always email doug and i don't get a response or if i do is a long time after. is this the case with everyone or is it just me
Patience grasshopper!
Tim
Old 9/5/07, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes my enlightened friend. you are but a V6 member but wise in your ways
Old 9/5/07, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
but I think the demand for that would be so small...
You got one buyer right here. And probably everyone else with a computer and a desire not to burn $400. It's the proprietary junk that gets ya. Do you really think it cost that much to make those things? It's a glorified $1.99 calculator. It's more likely that no one's made a laptop connector cable because it's a way of controlling that market. If they can make it so that it is impossible for you to tune without a tuner, and charge huge amounts for the tuners, they've got you by the bearings. And that's what they've done.
Old 9/5/07, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
yes my enlightened friend. you are but a V6 member but wise in your ways
Just a few more useless posts and I'll get my next belt!

Tim
Old 9/6/07, 02:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah hopefully i gte my new tune before that tim lol
Old 9/6/07, 05:13 AM
Bullitt Member

The interface between the OBDll connector and the PC is no big deal there are plenty of companys offering the hardware. Just use your Internet search engine.

Also the "Can" protocol is no big deal.

A software package for control and monitoring is going to set you back anywhere between $1500 and $2000.

Or you can buy the SCT Advantage lll software.
Old 9/6/07, 05:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by one_mean_marine
This new update in sweet! I can tell the difference and it feels much more responsive since the torque converter stays locked up.
Glad you like it.

When the convertor locks you can really feel it.

Our cars are torquey little devils if programmed properly.
Old 9/6/07, 06:05 PM

New Files

I just got the updated tunes from Doug . I can't wait til morning and try them out. One quick question should i disconnect the battery to reset the memory on the transmission or will the tune override it?
Thanks.........Ed
Old 9/6/07, 06:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No need to disconnect the battery.
Old 9/6/07, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got mine today too, I think. I asked Doug for copies of my original dyno tunes plus the updated ones, and got one set back. I forgot to snag a copy of my originals when he did the dyno tune and I want to be sure to have them in case I donā€™t like the tweaks or want to change back at some point.

Iā€™m assuming they are updated as he added todayā€™s date to the file names. Just to be safe I only over wrote one of my tunes. Until he responds I guess Iā€™ll have to go find out the hard way whether or not they are updated.

Tim
Old 9/6/07, 08:41 PM

I've asked for my updated tunes, too. You guys that already have them are making me jealous!
Old 9/6/07, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sprint200
I just got the updated tunes from Doug . I can't wait til morning and try them out. One quick question should i disconnect the battery to reset the memory on the transmission or will the tune override it?
Thanks.........Ed

I would disconnect the battery for 5 or 10 min then hook it back up and then load the tune.

The reason I mention this is Ford makes such a big deal out of it in the owners manual.

You'll have to reprogram your stereo.

Remember now, the torque convertor locks at 40 mph in 2nd gear. You'll feel it lock.

Have fun.
Old 9/7/07, 12:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

i dont really feel a diff if ne thing i think i may have liked the old ones better. what exactly should i be noticing that has changed. aslo i recently installed an slp loudmouth do you guys think that could be killing my power? Or can that be corrected with a tune or computer learning?
Old 9/7/07, 09:19 AM
GT Member

Doug mentioned to me that the update wouldn't be noticeable right away.

Its been about a week since I loaded the update, I love it. I dunno if its

my head but I notice more torque in each gear for one thing. My shifting

was kinda erratic when moving in heavy traffic but not now. Maybe

someone can explain better what I'm describing. :P
Old 9/7/07, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by King Taco
Doug mentioned to me that the update wouldn't be noticeable right away.

Its been about a week since I loaded the update, I love it. I dunno if its

my head but I notice more torque in each gear for one thing. My shifting

was kinda erratic when moving in heavy traffic but not now. Maybe

someone can explain better what I'm describing. :P

I'll give it a shot. (normal driving - not WOT)

If your auto trans tune is like mine the shift scheduling has been change to more simulate a stick shift.

1st gear shifts at about 1.5K (Ford does not allow mess'in with 1st gear)
The rest of the gears shift at about 3K.
The torque converter locks in 2nd gear at 40mph and stays locked. This is something you feel happening.
5th gear to me is a pure joy, in 5th doing 60mph and the RPM's are above 2K, when you start pushing the gas pedal down you can feel your back sinking into the drivers seat. Pure torque.

If you were to remove the battery cable from the car, this will reset the KAM, leave it off for 5+ minutes and then hook it back up, then reload the tune you will be working from a clean slate.

The PCM may be a little confused due to Doug disabling the Automatic Transmission Strategy. So doing the battery thing is a good idea.

Have fun and stay tuned.
Old 9/7/07, 05:29 PM
GT Member

Thats a good explanation of it, I will try and observe all these things you mention, GT John. I haven't disconnected the batt yet, I think I'll try that and reload the tune.

NIck
Old 9/7/07, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by King Taco
Thats a good explanation of it, I will try and observe all these things you mention, GT John. I haven't disconnected the batt yet, I think I'll try that and reload the tune.

NIck

Old 9/8/07, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got mine loaded up after resetting the battery as GT John suggested. Overall, I love the new tune. Had I gone straight to it from stock it might be a bit much, but having driven a pretty aggressive tune from Doug for a while now the incremental difference is tolerable. I say this because the drivability of the car is mildly affected, the shifts are a little rough and the locked converter give the car that ā€œdirect driveā€ feel.

Of course, I think the drivability of the car is better this way (I like it rough, this ā€˜aint no Cadillac) but your grandmother might not be impressed. Here are some specific things I noticed when test driving last night.
  • The 1-2 shift feels firmed up (could be the adaptive transmission reset from disconnecting the battery).
  • There is definitely more power in 2-3-4-5, she pulls hard at high RPMs.
  • I donā€™t really feel any difference in 1ā€™st gear or on the bottom end.
  • You can definitely feel the converter lock at 40MPH as John suggests (fun).
  • I was chirping into fourth on a hot Texas summer, usually fourth gear chirps are reserved for cool weather.
I donā€™t know how much of this can be attributed to the reset, and how much can be attributed by the tune, but having that pesky transmission adaptive learning feature disabled makes it worth it either way. Awesome job Doug!

Tim
Old 9/8/07, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I've been following this thread and thinking more and more about getting one of Doug's tunes for my '05 GT auto. I'm curious about one thing - what effect did any of your tunes have on overall gas mileage? I hate to ask, but with gas prices around $2.60 a gallon here for 87, it may be an issue...

Thanks!!
Old 9/8/07, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BigDog
I've been following this thread and thinking more and more about getting one of Doug's tunes for my '05 GT auto. I'm curious about one thing - what effect did any of your tunes have on overall gas mileage? I hate to ask, but with gas prices around $2.60 a gallon here for 87, it may be an issue...

Thanks!!
I dare say the tunes probably improve gas mileage (especially with a CAI), however once tuned itā€™s REALLY hard to keep your foot out of it, which of course lowers the mileage!

Tim

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Automatic Transmission