GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mustang GT Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/07, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hi John,
Well as you can see Doug sent me an email last night and I am going to try to have the tune emailed to me and download it myself. Thanks to Tom281's moral support. My question is where does your present tune from Doug allow the OD to kick in? And if I understand correctly I can have Doug set it about anywhere up to 60 mph. Way back early in this thread I posted some vids of Lidio's tune I am running. I now believe that last shift at 67 mph is just the torque converter locking up. Which makes it seem like is has 6 gears. I don't want to OD to kick in at 40 mph and lug around. I live in the country and most of my driving is at 55 mph or higher. I would be interested in your opinion on where to have Doug set the OD at.
Thanks Scott
Doug set mine so it does not kick in until 55MPH. It's perfect for me, I can run around town without ever having to go into OD, but as soon as I get rolling on the highway it kicks in. Having to hit that OD switch as much as I was would have worn it out before too long!

Tim
Old 9/26/07, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GT John
Answered your PM.
Thanks again for your help John!
Old 9/26/07, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
Doug set mine so it does not kick in until 55MPH. It's perfect for me, I can run around town without ever having to go into OD, but as soon as I get rolling on the highway it kicks in. Having to hit that OD switch as much as I was would have worn it out before too long!

Tim

I have been out playing with the OD button the last couple of nights and I am convinced I want the OD to come in at nothing less than 50 and not higher than 55. 60 seems a tad to high to me. I am just waiting for Doug to get back to me on something else and I am ready to get his tune.
Scott
Old 9/26/07, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got the new updated 91 race tune from Doug a couple of weeks ago. It is awesome, but overdrive does not kick in until 65 mph. I sent him an email to see if he could change it to kick in at 50 mph then it would be perfect for me. Otherwise the new race tune rips!
Old 9/26/07, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mister
I just got the new updated 91 race tune from Doug a couple of weeks ago. It is awesome, but overdrive does not kick in until 65 mph. I sent him an email to see if he could change it to kick in at 50 mph then it would be perfect for me. Otherwise the new race tune rips!
Yeah, I hear ya.

I didnt like mine set at 65 either, had him change it to 60. All of my driving is highway.

When the tranny does shift into 60 I'm running about 2200rpm. Whats really cool is when you start pressing down on the gas pedal the car pulls like its still in 4th. Waking up the 3.73's.
Old 9/26/07, 09:56 PM
mhk
Bullitt Member

So if i understand correctly, this new tune is available for either torque, performance and race? Or is it a tune by itself? For example, I could get 2 different torque tunes ( the old one and the new one)?
Old 9/27/07, 07:20 PM
GT Member

....but overdrive does not kick in until 65 mph. I sent him an email to see if he could change it to kick in at 50 mph then it would be perfect for me.
Are you all sure this OD OFF tune setting works the way you think it does? Here's what I wrote Doug awhile back when I tested a tune with OD OFF until 60 mph.:

1) The OD does not really stay off until 60. If you let off the gas cruising between 40 to 50 (idle cruise for a few seconds) you can feel it go into OD. I pushed the OD button (turn OFF OD) just to see and could feel it downshift from OD to 4th.

2) What it seems like it does between 0 to 60 is anytime you are giving it gas, even the slightest bit of gas, it stays in 4th. I tested this by cruising along feathering the gas at about 40 to 50 and was hitting the OD button to see if I could feel any difference and could not feel it. Let off the gas though and it does go to OD. It tends to go in and out of OD too often in my opinion, between giving it gas and idle cruise. It doesn't appear the tune settings allows it to be turned off completely until 60.
Old 9/28/07, 04:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blaster
Are you all sure this OD OFF tune setting works the way you think it does? Here's what I wrote Doug awhile back when I tested a tune with OD OFF until 60 mph.:

1) The OD does not really stay off until 60. If you let off the gas cruising between 40 to 50 (idle cruise for a few seconds) you can feel it go into OD. I pushed the OD button (turn OFF OD) just to see and could feel it downshift from OD to 4th.

2) What it seems like it does between 0 to 60 is anytime you are giving it gas, even the slightest bit of gas, it stays in 4th. I tested this by cruising along feathering the gas at about 40 to 50 and was hitting the OD button to see if I could feel any difference and could not feel it. Let off the gas though and it does go to OD. It tends to go in and out of OD too often in my opinion, between giving it gas and idle cruise. It doesn't appear the tune settings allows it to be turned off completely until 60.

Very interesting. I would like to get some clarification on this point also. I am in the process of getting Doug's new tune. I want my OD to kick in at 55 but I don't want it going back and forth when I am close to 55. GTJohn... what is your imput on this. Is the OD totally locked out until the speed Doug puts in the tune?
Thanks Scott
Old 9/28/07, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Very interesting. I would like to get some clarification on this point also. I am in the process of getting Doug's new tune. I want my OD to kick in at 55 but I don't want it going back and forth when I am close to 55. GTJohn... what is your imput on this. Is the OD totally locked out until the speed Doug puts in the tune?
Thanks Scott
Mine stays totally out of OD until I hit 55. Once I hit 55, it drops in like any other gear depending on how much gas I am giving it (delayed under acceleration, etc.). It never goes into OD when I am going under 55.

I wonder if the previous poster is confusing coasting with 5th gear. An auto is going to behave a little different than a stick, and the RMPs can drop when you’re not on the gas. This is not OD, it’s coasting.

I’m no expert, but I always assumed an auto only stays “locked up†at higher RPMs or under hard acceleration. At lower RPMs, the tranny can coast (letting the engine idle) as opposed to always having that direct drive feel that you get with a manual.

Tim
Old 9/28/07, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Mine stays totally out of OD until I hit 55. Once I hit 55, it drops in like any other gear depending on how much gas I am giving it (delayed under acceleration, etc.). It never goes into OD when I am going under 55.

I wonder if the previous poster is confusing coasting with 5th gear. An auto is going to behave a little different than a stick, and the RMPs can drop when you’re not on the gas. This is not OD, it’s coasting.

I’m no expert, but I always assumed an auto only stays “locked up†at higher RPMs or under hard acceleration. At lower RPMs, the tranny can coast (letting the engine idle) as opposed to always having that direct drive feel that you get with a manual.

Tim

Hey Tim,
You just answered my question perfectly. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. It is very easy to tell when your torque converter is locked or unlocked. When you are coasting long under very light throttle you can punch the gas a little and watch the rpm flare 300-400 rpm with little acceleration felt. That is the torque converter slipping. Way back in this thread I posted a couple of vids of Lidio's tune I am using and it appears I have 6 gears. What is really happening I now know is under 67 mph my torque converter is still slipping while in 5th. At 67 mph and up he locks the converter. Not sure why he does this but it is very smooth. I'm ready to try something a little more aggressive.
Scott
Old 9/28/07, 10:53 AM
GT Member

I have an auto so no confusion there. Try this. First make sure your OD/OFF light is not on. Get going about 50 mph and let it coast with foot off gas. Now keep pressing the OD button on and off and see if you don't feel the transmission going in and out of OD. If it's like my car you will feel the OD coming in and out. That's why I felt that the tune setting did not fully turn it off. But once again, any amount of throttle given and it does stay in OD, but as soon as you completely let off the gas pedal it drops into OD. If your tune does not operate like that then there is some difference between your OD tune setting and mine. If you say your tune NEVER goes into OD below 55 then I might have to ask Doug what he thinks the difference could be.
Old 9/28/07, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well... I just sent Doug an email to order his latest automatic transmission tune for my car. I sent him an email 3 days ago asking a question about this tune and have not heard back from him yet. I hope he get my order out a little quicker!!!
Scott
Old 9/29/07, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by blaster
I have an auto so no confusion there. Try this. First make sure your OD/OFF light is not on. Get going about 50 mph and let it coast with foot off gas. Now keep pressing the OD button on and off and see if you don't feel the transmission going in and out of OD. If it's like my car you will feel the OD coming in and out. That's why I felt that the tune setting did not fully turn it off. But once again, any amount of throttle given and it does stay in OD, but as soon as you completely let off the gas pedal it drops into OD. If your tune does not operate like that then there is some difference between your OD tune setting and mine. If you say your tune NEVER goes into OD below 55 then I might have to ask Doug what he thinks the difference could be.
I'll try it this afternoon and will post my results. I wonder if it could be the torque converter locking when you hit the button? Another strange behavior I noticed on mine. If I downshift to third, it takes 2-3 seconds to actually shift. If I hit the OD button, it goes into third right away. Does yours do that? There is definitely more than meets the eye when it comes to that little button!

Tim
Old 9/30/07, 09:26 PM
V6 Member

Mine definitely does not shift into OD until 65 mph. It shifts up to 4th gear and the revs keep building until 65 mph, then it will shift into OD. It will then be able to go in and out of OD 65 mph or slower until I go slow enough to get it down to 3rd, then I have to hit 65 in order to get it into OD again.
Old 10/1/07, 07:50 AM
mhk
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mhk
So if i understand correctly, this new tune is available for either torque, performance and race? Or is it a tune by itself? For example, I could get 2 different torque tunes ( the old one and the new one)?
Anyone? Please?
Old 10/1/07, 04:49 PM
GT Member

Mine definitely does not shift into OD until 65 mph. It shifts up to 4th gear and the revs keep building until 65 mph, then it will shift into OD. It will then be able to go in and out of OD 65 mph or slower until I go slow enough to get it down to 3rd, then I have to hit 65 in order to get it into OD again.
Hmmm...that's interesting. That's different from the way mine did when I was running the OD OFF tune but I don't think I will bug Doug about it because I don't need it anyway. But thanks for letting me know.
Old 10/1/07, 04:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mhk
Originally Posted by mhk

Anyone? Please?
That's right it is not a tune by itself but a setting that can be applied or not applied to any of his tunes.
Old 10/1/07, 11:32 PM
mhk
Bullitt Member

Thanks
Old 10/2/07, 12:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are you guys asking for certain tunes/od turning on at 55 or 60mph? I see on the order forms where it asks for 1st, 2nd and 3rd program.

How do I specify the one for autos that everyone says is kick ***??
Old 10/2/07, 05:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
How are you guys asking for certain tunes/od turning on at 55 or 60mph? I see on the order forms where it asks for 1st, 2nd and 3rd program. How do I specify the one for autos that everyone says is kick ***??
Probably he's doing the torque converter tweak by default now on all automatic trans tunes but after you order your tunes I would shoot him an extra email asking to make sure you get the new TQ converter tweaks you saw here on this forum. I believe he treats the OD OFF tweak as a special request so if you want that too include it in the email also.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Automatic Transmission