Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

High RPM lock out on MT82 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/15, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok my 2013 GT Trackpack with the mt82 transmission has the typical high rpm lockout. When shifting up or down at high rpm it sometimes will not go in gear. Other times when driving normally it can struggle to find the desired gear.

I installed the whiteline transmission mount which slightly helped the problem but was advised to take it to Ford first before swapping out the trans fluid.

Ford have just told me they did their tests and it does not have any faults.

Apparently the mt82 is designed to lock you out of gears at high rpm to protect the clutch. This does not sound right to me.

Any ideas?
Old 7/15/15, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The MT-82 is not designed to lock you out @ high RPM's.
This condition is caused by the clutch and/or the shifter.
The Blowfish shifter bracket cured my 3rd gear lockout above 6K.
Most have replaced the clutch to prevent their lockout issue.
Quite a bit of info on this.
Old 7/15/15, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe your 13 will already have the updated fluid... Lots of aftermarket options... Lots of guys like the Blowfish bracket. Others claim the MGW shifter is the fix... I cannot speak for either. But figure out your budget and then choose from there.
Old 7/16/15, 06:04 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I have the 2014 track pack, and I have not experienced high RPM lockout. I shift at ~6700 when I'm pushing it on a road course ever now and then, and so far no issues. Not sure why some cars do it and others don't
Old 7/16/15, 06:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MGW solved ALL of my shifting problems. Zero issues since the upgrade.
Old 7/16/15, 06:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What RPM does the lockout happen? Redline is probably a combination of the shifter and the clutch, around the 6500-6700 mark is probably the shifter but can be the clutch still. Go with the cheaper option of the shifter which should save your trans from some wear due to the shifts being more precise and if that doesn't resolve it at redline then you can start looking for clutches.
Old 7/16/15, 07:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Every now and then if I take it to its rev limit mine will still lock me out even with the Blowfish racing bracket. I find that if you have the tach just kiss the redline (on a v6 anyways) and then shift it will be perfect. Every now and then will it allow me to shift at 7400 rpm. My problem is 1st to 2nd gear.
Old 7/16/15, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I feel like the shift gates are narrow on this car. My lock outs on the stock shifter were almost always 2nd to 3rd gear, high RPM, at around 40-50 mph or so...maybe 35 mph. The Stock shifter was like shifting a wet noodle... Even worse when shifting around a turn. The MGW is tighter, shorter and more precise. It helped ALOT. I can't say enough good things about it. The stock shifter is a piece of garbage.
Old 7/16/15, 11:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Last1
I feel like the shift gates are narrow on this car. My lock outs on the stock shifter were almost always 2nd to 3rd gear, high RPM, at around 40-50 mph or so...maybe 35 mph. The Stock shifter was like shifting a wet noodle... Even worse when shifting around a turn. The MGW is tighter, shorter and more precise. It helped ALOT. I can't say enough good things about it. The stock shifter is a piece of garbage.
I'm sorry this is a bit of topic but do you know where I can find written install directions instead of a video for the mgw?
Old 7/17/15, 12:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Has anyone fitted both the blowfish bracket and mgw shifter.

I'm going to swap out the fluid to royal purple syncromesh and see how that performs, expectations are low.

The service writer at ford spoke to the tech and said that the mt82 transmissions replacements that come in, they are not plugging in a harness to prevent the lockout. I've not investigated it yet, but apparently there is a plug at the rear, right, top of the trans. Not sure what it is but this is being left unplugged any ideas?
Old 7/17/15, 06:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mr. V, I looked but gave up after I couldn't find the instructions for the new model. Maybe someone else on here could help. Sorry dude. I paid to have mine put in when I did my springs, etc. would have liked to do it myself but don't have a garage/driveway.

As for the other comment, I keep reading that the blowfish bracket combo is even better. I don't have the race spec MGW, I got the one before it but it's fantastic. No complaints. I can only imagine it's even better with the race spec + blowfish.

Last edited by Last1; 7/17/15 at 06:23 AM.
Old 7/17/15, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
Has anyone fitted both the blowfish bracket and mgw shifter.

I'm going to swap out the fluid to royal purple syncromesh and see how that performs, expectations are low.

The service writer at ford spoke to the tech and said that the mt82 transmissions replacements that come in, they are not plugging in a harness to prevent the lockout. I've not investigated it yet, but apparently there is a plug at the rear, right, top of the trans. Not sure what it is but this is being left unplugged any ideas?
He is likely talking about what Ford called Skip Shift. It was an electrical solenoid that would block out 2nd gear at low speeds. Basically making you go from 1st to 4th. I believe that they stopped this after 12 MY so I do not believe your 13 has it. Someone can chime in if I am wrong.
Old 7/17/15, 11:31 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just buy a MGW Race Spec Shifter, Yes it's expensive! But worth every penny! The horizontal gate is 100% adjustable. No need for the Blowfish Bracket! You won't get locked out any longer, won't miss shifts. The car will become an absolute pleasure to drive. After a Month of driving with the new shifter installed, you won't even think about shifting because it works so smoothly and precise! Shifting will be second nature! No problem at the Drag Strip shifting at 7000 RPM, 1st to 2nd, snaps to 3rd, then into 4th, I have 3.73 Gears.
Old 7/17/15, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the Steeda shifter with revised Blowfish bracket and have yet to be locked out when shifting above 7000 rpm with a ported Boss intake and AED tune.
Old 8/8/15, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

This weekend I swapped out the tranny fluid to royal purple syncromesh and fitted the energy suspensions shifter mount bushing.

A massive improvement, I did not have one hickup driving up pikes peak. The ford bushing was of a shocking quality, very soft.