GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mustang GT Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/07, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rash
I had the EXACT same experience. Had to mash the pedal pretty hard to unlock the converter, otherwise just slllloooowwww lugging acceleration. For now, I've had Doug change the shifting back to stock, and I'm actually liking that. I may have him eventually adjust the shifting so it's somewhere between stock and his normal changes. This is my daily driver, and the lugging in OD, as well as the higher rpm shift points, was a bit much for me. Doug has been great in accomodating my needs.

Rash,
It seems that most of us that are running his latest tune feel the same way about the lugging issue when in overdrive and slowing down. I believe Doug can give us some tweaks to this tune to help with this issue. I have not contacted Doug yet about what he can or cannot do about this. I would like to see if GTJohn would be willing to contact Doug since he has been the main contact with Doug on this tune. I don't want to step on his toes. I have only been running this tune for a couple of weeks but I think it is the best I've run yet with the exeption of the lugging issue. I need to try and be patient about this.
Scott
Old 10/11/07, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious if anyone knows why it is impossible to get anyone to answer the phone at BAMA? I can understand them being busy, but is Doug the only one there? lol

My X3 has been in the "processing" stage for almost 5 days, but I am looking fwd to running the tune you are all talking about.
Old 10/11/07, 03:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
Just curious if anyone knows why it is impossible to get anyone to answer the phone at BAMA? I can understand them being busy, but is Doug the only one there? lol

My X3 has been in the "processing" stage for almost 5 days, but I am looking fwd to running the tune you are all talking about.
Hey Colby,
PM sent
Scott
Old 10/11/07, 05:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott & John,

I'm set on getting a combo setup from Doug soon and have a couple of ?'s that maybe you guys can answer for me. With the new auto strategies that he's started doing, does he always change the where 5th gear engages? My car is my D/D, and with the mixed (now almost all) city/hwy driving, I kinda like having 5th gear coming in around 45mph. Plus, with it coming in at 45, just a blip of the gas and it downshifts to 4th. My other ? is, with the shift points changed, does it alway shift at the new settings, or is it different at part-throttle? thanks, John
Old 10/11/07, 05:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
Scott & John,

I'm set on getting a combo setup from Doug soon and have a couple of ?'s that maybe you guys can answer for me. With the new auto strategies that he's started doing, does he always change the where 5th gear engages? My car is my D/D, and with the mixed (now almost all) city/hwy driving, I kinda like having 5th gear coming in around 45mph. Plus, with it coming in at 45, just a blip of the gas and it downshifts to 4th. My other ? is, with the shift points changed, does it alway shift at the new settings, or is it different at part-throttle? thanks, John
Hey John,
Doug can set your OD to kick in at whatever mph you think works best for you. I have mine set to come on at 55mph. I drive mostly in the country at 55 or better. What I would suggest to you is what I did. Drive around for a few days and use your OD button to bring on the OD when you think it works best for your driving style. You will find that sweet spot that works the best for your driving style. Than all you need to do is order Doug's tune and tell him where you want your OD to kick in. As far as the programed shift points goes...they are always the same under normal acceleration. When you give it more gas all of the shifts points move upward according to how much gas your giving. Hope this helps.
Scott
Old 10/11/07, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Rash,
It seems that most of us that are running his latest tune feel the same way about the lugging issue when in overdrive and slowing down. I believe Doug can give us some tweaks to this tune to help with this issue. I have not contacted Doug yet about what he can or cannot do about this. I would like to see if GTJohn would be willing to contact Doug since he has been the main contact with Doug on this tune. I don't want to step on his toes. I have only been running this tune for a couple of weeks but I think it is the best I've run yet with the exeption of the lugging issue. I need to try and be patient about this.
Scott
I’m with you guys. The lugging issue (and the associated delay when downshifting) is kind of bothersome. Yes, it can be overcome by use of the OD button, but that’s kind of counterintuitive to the purpose of setting the shift point to 55MPH in the first place. It seems to me the downshifting should be set in line with the up shift points for a more consistent feel. Right now the 55MPH OD shift tune feels only half implemented IMHO. It bothered me enough that I’ve gone back to my normal OD version of the race tune for now (I have both).

Tim
Old 10/12/07, 11:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
I’m with you guys. The lugging issue (and the associated delay when downshifting) is kind of bothersome. Yes, it can be overcome by use of the OD button, but that’s kind of counterintuitive to the purpose of setting the shift point to 55MPH in the first place. It seems to me the downshifting should be set in line with the up shift points for a more consistent feel. Right now the 55MPH OD shift tune feels only half implemented IMHO. It bothered me enough that I’ve gone back to my normal OD version of the race tune for now (I have both).

Tim

Tim,
I have sent GTJohn a pm to see if he would like to contact Doug about a fix to this area of the tune. I have not heard back from John yet...he may be out of town or on vacation. I will be happy to contact Doug if John doesn't want too but I want to give him the first opportunity to do so.
Scott
Old 10/13/07, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

That sounds like a plan to me, thanks Scott!

Tim
Old 10/15/07, 10:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey guys,

I can set the downshifting RPM as well. I know what you are talking about. If you let it at light throttle once you have hit OD one time it will stay in OD during decelleration until around 38mph. I can raise that, just be weary, I usually take it up to around 50mph if its set to go into OD at 55mph. This is because if you dont it will be too annoying, each time you hit 55 it will downshift. Yes, its neat at first but under normal conditions its just too much, or atleast it is for me.

Just let me know if I can help and I'll be happy to. Please contact me direct, at my email BamaChips@gmail.com for the fastest replys.

Thanks, Doug
Old 10/15/07, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
Hey guys,

I can set the downshifting RPM as well. I know what you are talking about. If you let it at light throttle once you have hit OD one time it will stay in OD during decelleration until around 38mph. I can raise that, just be weary, I usually take it up to around 50mph if its set to go into OD at 55mph. This is because if you dont it will be too annoying, each time you hit 55 it will downshift. Yes, its neat at first but under normal conditions its just too much, or atleast it is for me.

Just let me know if I can help and I'll be happy to. Please contact me direct, at my email BamaChips@gmail.com for the fastest replys.

Thanks, Doug
That's exactly what I'm looking for, 50MPH sounds perfect for the OD deceleration point. Thanks for the support Doug; I’ll shoot you an email!

Tim
Old 10/15/07, 12:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Doug,
50 mph on the decel side also sounds perfect to me. That is exactly where I was thinking I would like to have mine set. I will send you an email tonight...... Email sent Doug.
Thanks Scott
Old 10/17/07, 04:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bump...Hoping Doug will stop in and see I email him to adjust my tune.
Scott
Old 10/17/07, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm jazzed too!
Old 10/17/07, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

Emailed him also.
Old 10/19/07, 12:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Another Bump for Doug,

There are several of us trying to reach you Doug to get a tweek made to our tunes we just purchased the last couple of weeks. I had tried your email on your website but no answer after 4 days.
Scott
Old 10/19/07, 03:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Update on my situation. I called Doug tonight about 6 times to see if he got my email from last Monday. I called so many times he called me back because I kept showing up on his caller ID. He adjusted my tune while I was on the phone with him and has already sent it to me.
Thanks Doug!!!!!!
Scott
Old 10/19/07, 03:56 PM
mhk
Bullitt Member

Scott, please let us know if this adjustment fixed the problem with the new tune.

Thanks
Old 10/19/07, 04:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mhk
Scott, please let us know if this adjustment fixed the problem with the new tune.

Thanks

I sure will MHK. I need to bring the USB cable home from work again so I can download it to my tuner again. Doug told me that he has been playing with his automatic tune since we have been telling him we didn't like the speed that the trans dropped back into 4th gear and he said he has his set at 50 mph now and likes it better himself. I can't wait to get it loaded.
Scott
Old 10/19/07, 04:37 PM
Cobra Member

Good to hear Scott and cant wait for a review. Hope to see one in my email soon. Since you have done the email to tuner download, is there any tricks involved?
Old 10/19/07, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm excited too, but not so excited that I'm going to call Doug six times! No wonder hes so busy!

Tim

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Automatic Transmission