GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

long tube headers $253.47

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/07, 08:41 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building and construction complete. Interior renovations estimated just over a week. Sema show Oct 28-Nov 2. So the end of the first week in November I should be able to research this quite a bit more.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 10/18/07, 06:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
My dyno guy just got a set of OBX for his Mustang. They're off getting ceramic coated right now, to keep the heat in. They look great, though. Especially for the price. The welds look nice, and they're nice and thick. As soon as he gets them in, I'll have some dyno numbers. If they come out good, I'll be ordering a set.
Interesting. Cant wait to see what comes outta that.
Old 10/18/07, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tragik
All I can suggest is that you take a look at these first. They are not thin wall metal, they are 3/8 inch at the flange, and the collector is identical to the slip fit style ones that JBA, Kooks, and the like are using. As far as them being T409, I am only going by what I was told by the seller with 21,000+ Positive feedbacks on Ebay had in his add. I could be wrong on that. Isn't there a way to test with a magnet? Magnets will stick to 409 and not to 304? Either way I'm still happy.

I'm not the kind of guy who is Mr. El Cheapo when it comes to my car. I Just personally thought that the prices coming from ARH, Kooks, and so on were just out of line. I wasn't going pay 1200.00 to 1400.00 for headers. I have nothing against people who do. Please don't suggest that mine are vastly inferior just because of the price without actually looking at them first.

What size is the primary? Is it 1 5/8 or 1 3/4? I am really interested in this but need the larger primaries for my SC setup...
Old 11/17/07, 02:25 AM
Cobra Member

I installed a set of these obx headers today, and all i can say is ****!
great welds, Perfect fit, nice fat, and perfectly flat flange, I believe the primaries are 1 & 3/4.

shipping was quick but packing sucked, and one of the collectors had a little ding, but no big deal really.

I am stoked, and will post pics of the goods as soon as i can.

so glad i didnt spend $1,500.00 on headers!!!!
Old 11/17/07, 09:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Faber
great welds, Perfect fit, nice fat, and perfectly flat flange, I believe the primaries are 1 & 3/4.

shipping was quick but packing sucked, and one of the collectors had a little ding, but no big deal really.

sounds great faber! let us know if you dyno-tune this and see what results you get.

big savings over the major brands of headers...
Old 11/17/07, 10:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I told you they looked good. Glad they've worked out for you. I haven't been back to the dyno yet to see what my dyno guy got out of them, but as far as fit and finish, they're great.
Old 11/17/07, 12:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Faber

Please post us some pictures. Do you have any way of checking the true thickness of material that is used? Also, use a magnet on a piece that is left over. Is it magnetic or non-magnetic? Just curious
Scott
Old 11/17/07, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Scott is thinking about headers....... from China.......

Just kidding- this sounds like a great deal! And frankly dudes like Tillman jumping in here should really just stay out until they have actual facts and numbers to disprove what's being discussed. $1200-$1500 for headers is ridiculous and of course if I sold both brands, I'd push the more expensive too because of higher margin. Facts are, several members now have them and have visually inspected/measured/installed them, meanwhile a vendor that supposedly sells them can't tell us anything about them..... I'll take the member's words for it, thank you.
Old 11/17/07, 01:08 PM
GT Member

ok somebody dyno these already. i wanna see some numbers
Old 11/17/07, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone measure the wall thickness of the primaries?

I for one would pass on those. I prefer to support American companies like Kooks, Stainless Works, American Racing etc. You guys may think we make a killing on those headers but we don't. Building good quality headers is not a cheap feat. Plus, I know I can call Kooks or Stainless Works and get someone on the phone when I have questions. They are also there when I need a custom set made. I'm sure some of the stuff I sell is made in China, but I try and avoid it while I can. I haven't searched this thread but did anyone post pics? There are many ways to cut corners (1 way is by paying $10/week labor).

Will these headers perform? I haven't seen them but I'd guess they are not that bad. Are they as good as the headers that I mentioned above? I highly doubt it.

Sometimes it's just a matter of principle. Supporting these types of companies who are obviously cutting corners somewhere does nothing but hurt this industry. If this trend continues you will see many American performance companies go under. Then who loses?

I consider way more than price when buying. I'm usually on the other side of the price wars. But you know what? I still get calls from guys that buy headers like this because they are cheap on Ebay. But I get the phone call when they need help with their cars. But like I said, if that trend continues, I may not be at the other end of that phone line when you need it.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 11/17/07, 02:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KenB
Anyone measure the wall thickness of the primaries?

I for one would pass on those. I prefer to support American companies like Kooks, Stainless Works, American Racing etc. You guys may think we make a killing on those headers but we don't. Building good quality headers is not a cheap feat. Plus, I know I can call Kooks or Stainless Works and get someone on the phone when I have questions. They are also there when I need a custom set made. I'm sure some of the stuff I sell is made in China, but I try and avoid it while I can. I haven't searched this thread but did anyone post pics? There are many ways to cut corners (1 way is by paying $10/week labor).

Will these headers perform? I haven't seen them but I'd guess they are not that bad. Are they as good as the headers that I mentioned above? I highly doubt it.

Sometimes it's just a matter of principle. Supporting these types of companies who are obviously cutting corners somewhere does nothing but hurt this industry. If this trend continues you will see many American performance companies go under. Then who loses?

I consider way more than price when buying. I'm usually on the other side of the price wars. But you know what? I still get calls from guys that buy headers like this because they are cheap on Ebay. But I get the phone call when they need help with their cars. But like I said, if that trend continues, I may not be at the other end of that phone line when you need it.

Sorry for the rant.
Hey Ken, no worries. I'm one of those who spent the $1,400 for a set of American Racing, and all I can say is I LOVE THEM!! I got to meet Nick, the president at American Racing at Carlisle this past summer. NICEST GUY! Was asking how I liked them, and such. Great customer care. While I spent ALOT more for them, I got them from a company who makes them in america. Plus their logo is KILLER (a bald eagle with open headers for wings in front of a flag). Like Ken said, if I have a problem, I can call them up ASAP and get it fixed. While I'm not downing these inexpensive headers, I feel I got a quality product backed by a good company.
Old 11/17/07, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

If I was buying headers with my heart and my patriotic side I would definately not hesitate to buy american racing or kooks etc. Before you go getting all patriotic about the parts for your car I think you might want to go and examine where most of the stock parts came from fellas. looks like MY motor came from canada, my A/C unit is mexican, I am pretty sure a saw indonesia on a few parts, I am sure the list is pretty long....

and oh by the way call and ask where your american racing stainless steel originated....I would wager that it was east of new york.

Don't twist my excitement for my savings into some anti-american BS.

If i was made of money I would definately not mind being taken to the cleaners on a set of tubes, but I ain't made of money.

I don't appreciate even a hint of villification when I was just tryin to save some fellas some cash on a good quality product.
Old 11/17/07, 06:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Scott is thinking about headers....... from China.......

Just kidding- this sounds like a great deal! And frankly dudes like Tillman jumping in here should really just stay out until they have actual facts and numbers to disprove what's being discussed. $1200-$1500 for headers is ridiculous and of course if I sold both brands, I'd push the more expensive too because of higher margin. Facts are, several members now have them and have visually inspected/measured/installed them, meanwhile a vendor that supposedly sells them can't tell us anything about them..... I'll take the member's words for it, thank you.
Old 11/17/07, 07:38 PM
Cobra R Member

I would prefer to purchase American made products. But not when it costs 3X as much for not much (if any) more performance.
Old 11/17/07, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
I would prefer to purchase American made products. But not when it costs 3X as much for not much (if any) more performance.
Exactly!

It is about value. want to succeed in business? make a quality product at a competitive price, and back it up. Want to go out of business? make a competitive product, and then price yourself out of the competition...

I think If a vendor is going to be on this forum they should be helping us out with useful info, real world comparisons, offering helpful info, or helping us out with a discount. Guilting and snobbery ought to be left to another forum.

We help each other on here. That is why I remain here. That is Value.
Old 11/17/07, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

Wow...I was looking into these headers a while ago and I got quite a few responses very similar to the ones in this thread stating you get what you pay for, Id stay with reputable American made companies etc.

Glad to see someone took the first step! Im definitely thinking about going with these, can't wait to see some dyno numbers.

Are either of you that had them installed goin to get a tune??
Old 11/17/07, 10:09 PM
GT Member

i agree,i can t swing 12-1400 bucs for headers.it makes no sence they are priced that high to start with.i can understand the r&d part of it, but cmon these cars have been out for nearly 4 years already,and most of the mfgs had a head start .
Old 11/17/07, 11:30 PM
Cobra Member

I got a tune from Doug at bamachips (awesome! excellent tune, and customer service) and he updated it for the headers at no extra charge. I will install the tune tommorow. I took some pictures also and will post the pics of these "Cheap immitation" headers and the quality thereof as soon as i transfer them from my cam. I will also post a sound clip soon too.

overall I am very, very happy with them!

BTW kenb if you're feeling an overwhelming need to support the expensive header manufacturers just send me a pair. I will send you these chinese headers and you can dispose of them as you see fit. Until then I will be singing the praises of a company that "got it".
Old 11/18/07, 02:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, my thoughts on this are as follows. A big decision point for me on the purchase of mods is durability. If I was going to keep the car, let's say, 10 years or less, then durability would not be that much of a factor, however, I'm not going to sell this car. So is $1200 (what I paid) for a set of Kooks unreasonable? Considering they will not rust nor peal due to any coating, no, it is not unreasonable. I am confident they will perform for the better part of the life of the car. Can you say that about lower quality steal? Again, if I was going to dump the car in a few years, hell yeah I'd jump on these. It's all a matter of planning what you want out of your car and the parts you put on it.
Old 11/18/07, 11:28 AM
Cobra R Member

For anyone who doubts these, here is a different auction with different pictures. They're 304 steel (so I don't know how you can consider them lower quality steel) and come with a lifetime warranty. You get what you pay for is not the case 100% of the time. There are plenty of exceptions to that rule. The OBX headers are quite obviously one of them. I fully plan on buying a set of these in the spring, unless someone can PROVE me (and Faber) wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: long tube headers $253.47