GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

guaging interest in an auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/06, 08:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We will have a threaded unit.. At this point we will probably leave the O/D button at that location and offer both a "white" old school ball with a button on the top for a line lock, nitrous etc. and perhaps offer a T-handle as an option with a button as well...This should satisfy most of the masses!..Remember from the onset of this: I told everybody I would take your suggestions and try to incorporate as many of them as possible!..
Old 6/2/06, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds great, thanks Chris!
Old 6/2/06, 04:15 PM

I'm putting on my flame suit as I'm typing this. I'm sure an after market shifter will be a great cosmetic upgrade but otherwise with the electronic computer controlled 5R55S is relatively useless unless the shifter comes with a tranny program to make this thing shift on demand. In order for mine to shift at 6000 rpm I have to manually shift at about 4800 under WOT and I have a second to none JDM auto tranny tune. Nice looking mod but functional??? I have my doubts. Set me straight fellows.....
Old 6/2/06, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

the only increased function is the switching out of the shift **** and the lack of button clutching to downshift. Increased performance will not be possible since this is plug and play, no tune required.

-Dan
Old 6/2/06, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should have a better feel. I know the delay will always be there, but the stock auto shifter feels real flimsy and cheap when trying to shift it. Not to mention it's ugly as all hell.

Chris, I sent you an e-mail by the way. Let me know what you think.

Kris
Old 6/2/06, 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

well that is esentially true to some extent. With our new shifter having a "ratchet" type design it acts similar to a "sequential" shift system found in BMW, G35, Mercedes , 350Z etc...This gives the driver more of a "manual" type feel rather than just the typical "gate" type shifter. So, you can move up and down through the gears quicker and have more fun doing so.
Old 6/5/06, 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Slofoot
I'm sure an after market shifter will be a great cosmetic upgrade but otherwise with the electronic computer controlled 5R55S is relatively useless unless the shifter comes with a tranny program to make this thing shift on demand. In order for mine to shift at 6000 rpm I have to manually shift at about 4800 under WOT and I have a second to none JDM auto tranny tune. Nice looking mod but functional??? I have my doubts. Set me straight fellows.....
I don't ever race my car and don't need the shifter for racing, I would agree with you that an aftermarket shifter isn't going to help much there. But I do a lot of manual shifting in traffic to take advantage of tranny braking and to keep from having to constantly ride the brakes. Manually shifting the stock shifter just feels so wrong It feels like you're doing something you're not supposed to be doing. It's too soft shifting between gears and too easy to overshift in both directions. Plus it feels like a big clunky hunk of plastic. Not gratifying in the least I've had a B&M shifter auto before and I really liked it. It's a great solution to all my gripes about the stock shifter Plus with the threaded rod we can install all kinds of cool ***** that now are limited to the manual tranny boys, check out flameball.com for some really cool ones!
Old 6/5/06, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

Chris, speaking of the shift *****, do you know what the thread pattern will be yet? I know the shifter is still under development, but maybe B&M always uses the same thread pattern?
Old 6/5/06, 06:48 PM
Cobra Member

I don't know at this point..Once I do know for sure I will be happy to let you know though
Old 6/5/06, 11:39 PM
GT Member

Hey Chris! Much thanks for your efforts! You can tell your bosses I'm in for a buy! I didn't even know I needed this upgrade until this weekend when I took my car to an "open track" driving event at Portland Int. Raceway. Shifting the clumsy stock auto was hair raising to say the least. Trying to shift from 3rd to 4th without going too far while concentrating on staying off the wall at 90 mph was nerve wracking. I'd have to take my eyes off the track to make sure I didn't shift the crappy thing too far. Even my instructor said he sure wished someone would make a shifter for it. And here you are. Hurraah! Just let me know where to send the funds. This is my next most needed mod for open tracking.
Old 6/9/06, 08:17 PM

Yes, Yes,Yes

I will most defiantly buy one for my 2005 V6

Rob
Old 6/9/06, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

great news! Is there somewhere we can pre-order? or will the first "stock" be enough for most of us eager folks to get one in the first batch? Is there any sort of time frame when it should be ready to purchase? (maybe a best case date, and worst case date?)

Glad to hear it's through the corporate phase and big wigs

As for usage, I really don't like the factory shifter. I think it looks horrible, it feels cheap, and it's not comfortable to rest my hand there while cruising.

I like to take my car out of overdrive, and sometimes down to 3rd when I'm driving in the mountains, my intentions aren't for rapid shifting, more or less just keeping it in what gear I want while in the mountains. 3rd slows it down to a nice 30-35mph with 4.10 gears while going down hill.
Old 6/10/06, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

We SHOULD have the first article of parts to assemble in around the 23rd and then planning on doing the test fit etc in Kris Horton's (member here) car. If all checks out perfect I will have pricing and part #'s for everyone and I will give you ALL first chance at it before it is released to mass distribution. I am really not supposed to offer our products direct as we generally only sell through distributors, BUT I will do it for you guys since your thoughts and help have brought this project to fruition for me/us...
Old 6/10/06, 06:13 PM
FR500 Member

Right on Chris, I'm still interested
Old 6/11/06, 03:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Any chance of getting the pic reposted?
Old 6/11/06, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GhostGT
Any chance of getting the pic reposted?
See post 157.
Old 6/11/06, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
See post 157.
Whoa. Yea, I saw this pic, didn't think it was the picture people were commenting on. So let me get this straight...we will have the ability to have a manual shift **** in our cars if we were to get this kit? And there is no estimate on the price yet, right?

EDIT: nvm just saw subzero's post on pricing.
Old 6/11/06, 05:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So. Freaking. Stoked.

That is all. 12 more days (I hope!)

Kris
Old 6/11/06, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GhostGT
Whoa. Yea, I saw this pic, didn't think it was the picture people were commenting on. So let me get this straight...we will have the ability to have a manual shift **** in our cars if we were to get this kit? And there is no estimate on the price yet, right?

EDIT: nvm just saw subzero's post on pricing.
As it stands now correct!..We will likely offer the kit with a White retro style ball with a button on the top for a 12V source..Line lock, nitrous etc. There will also be avail a T-handle most likely with the same feature for those guys who want that look..I am trying to please as many people as I can..
Old 6/12/06, 06:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm in ....SIGN ME UP!

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter