GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

guaging interest in an auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/06, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subzero05
Well since the O/D button is just a On all the time or push to disable it, I think we will leave it where it is on the bezel since it will probably take a while longer to redo the switches etc in order to make the change back to the ****. The 12V button will only be active or hooked up for those guys who want or need it for their specific application, otherwise it would remain idle.I will TRY and get a Spy shot for you guys , but I am not going to make any promises as far as quality of the pic and keep in mind whatever I get in not necessarily the finished piece, but only to give you an idea.
Sheeeeeeeeeeeew!Man that was a close one!......
Old 7/18/06, 04:14 PM
GT Member

Myself all I want is a new shifter that will hold better in your hand.
But I have to admit that having the O/D on the stick would be great!
Old 7/18/06, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

ok boys...a spy shot. PLEASE remember this is not a finished product, only a sample of what we are doing and as you can see this is on one of our engineering table and I should not even be releasing this info at this point. The bezel is not attached to the console, the stick is not attached to anything and will come out higher from the bezel as well. We will also likely offer a black shift **** with the unit and offer alternative ***** for those who want them. We are also planning on polishing the bezel piece up and clear anodizing it to make it match better with the interior and there will be no B&M logo on the bezel either...Please interpret this very loosely, but it will give you an idea....So, Enjoy
Attached Images  
Old 7/18/06, 09:23 PM
FR500 Member

Well, I have an imagination and I like it
Old 7/18/06, 10:34 PM
Cobra Member

Great...Imagination here is a good thing!
Old 7/19/06, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by sodaman
well sub zero, Is there a possibillity that you can make the wiring possible to switch the buttons, in other words, make the line loc on the handle the overdrive, and make the line loc the button on the bezel if we choose we would rather have it in that order. Personally I would love one of these but if I have to push on a button on the bezel everytime I want to go into o/d this isnt going to work for me. I am sure most people on here use there o/d buttons a lot more then they go to the trac and use the line loc button. I am not understanding why it wouldnt be better to have the line loc seperate on the bezel. If you are cruising down the road and not sitting still at the track and that button gets pushed, guess what big accident. I think you might want to rethink which button should have which option, but thats just me!
I'm with Sodaman on this one. I think you are missing the boat, and the bulk of the market, by not making the switch modular so that those of us who want the O/D switch on the T-handle where it is now can have it that way, with the line lock on the bezel. I think several people have brought up a very good point here - the O/D switch will get a lot more use by a lot more people than the Line Lock. I think it would be prudent to spend a little more time if necessary in order to be able to offer that flexibility. I also think you may regret it in the long run if you don't provide for that option now, while you are still able to. Not doing so will reduce the flexibility of the product, the desireability of the product to a broader range of people, and will likely reduce your marketability/total sales potential. But that is just my opinion.
Old 7/19/06, 01:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

While I agree with the recent post that the O/D button would probably be used more in the short run; I still think the O/D button would accommodate more customers by being in the bezel (much like ford has it on the F-150's). This way you could change out the shifter ball with which ever one you wanted if you had no use for the line-loc or other similar feature.

And that "spy" shot looks ;to be honest I wasn't considering this mod too much, but after seeing that I may have to look into this more.
Old 7/19/06, 06:28 AM
GT Member

ok boys...a spy shot. PLEASE remember this is not a finished product, only a sample of what we are doing and as you can see this is on one of our engineering table and I should not even be releasing this info at this point. The bezel is not attached to the console, the stick is not attached to anything and will come out higher from the bezel as well. We will also likely offer a black shift **** with the unit and offer alternative ***** for those who want them. We are also planning on polishing the bezel piece up and clear anodizing it to make it match better with the interior and there will be no B&M logo on the bezel either...Please interpret this very loosely, but it will give you an idea....So, Enjoy
I think you have made great progress in devellopment of this product!
I say so far so good, it will look very awsome in the end.
Someone here mentioned that having the O/D on the console could allow you to change the ****. And that's a good point!
Old 7/19/06, 08:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RACING GT
I think you have made great progress in devellopment of this product!
I say so far so good, it will look very awsome in the end.
Someone here mentioned that having the O/D on the console could allow you to change the ****. And that's a good point!
And that was kind of my thinking as well.. many people away from this board i'm sure may want to put their own type of **** on there..maybe a steeda ****, MGW or something else which if that is what they want, great!...Some may not like the B&M **** we are likely to provide and want something else. I am aiming to please as many as I can, but also take this to a very broad market outside the forums.
Old 7/19/06, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is going to be a ratchet design? Push the **** forward or backward untill it clicks and you are in the next/previous gear, and it won't move any farther until you release pressure then press it forward or backward again?

If so, how would you get from park or referse to first? (and vise versa) I guess I don't fully understand how they work.
Old 7/19/06, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

yes it will be a ratchet design.. When you want to go back up into park,reverse etc. you will lift the stick up and move it forward!...
Old 7/19/06, 12:32 PM
V6 Member

It’s looking really good. I like it a lot.

About the O/D button position I think the way you guys designed it is perfect; you guys are the professionals. Now that we are going to have the option to shift sequentially the O/D button is pretty much obsolete, in my opinion.

Good Job B&M!

-Johann
Old 7/19/06, 12:56 PM

looks great
It will go to 'D' without lifting, yes?
I'd rather have OD up top, but no biggie
It's not a link lock button, it's a 12v anything button: air defense missles, light up neon outline of a naked girl ......whatever
Old 7/19/06, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

ok boys...a spy shot.
AWESOME!! Thanks for the preview!
Old 7/19/06, 01:30 PM
GT Member

Holy Crap That Looks Sweet!!
Old 7/19/06, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Very nice, Chris, thanks for the spy shot!
Old 7/19/06, 04:41 PM

Chris,
How many 05+ automatic Mustangs in the world have line locks, a couple hundred?
How many 05+ Mustangs in the world have automatics that have overdrive the driver may want to turn on and off? Over one hundred thousand I bet? From a business standpoint, does it make more sense to target the automatic/dragracer, or the vast unwashed masses who just want to customize their ride and have never heard of a line lock?
The dragsters can mod the shifter. Give'm something to keep themselves busy and off the road.
Old 7/19/06, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dzzzz

Chris,
How many 05+ automatic Mustangs in the world have line locks, a couple hundred?
How many 05+ Mustangs in the world have automatics that have overdrive the driver may want to turn on and off? Over one hundred thousand I bet? From a business standpoint, does it make more sense to target the automatic/dragracer, or the vast unwashed masses who just want to customize their ride and have never heard of a line lock?
The dragsters can mod the shifter. Give'm something to keep themselves busy and off the road.
B&M has a long history of providing equipment to the racers of the world. Hell, I used a B&M ratchet shifter 30 years ago. And, I'd bet that 99.9% of the "vast unwashed masses" would never spend a penny on a new shifter. I suspect B&M knows their target market just fine.
Old 7/19/06, 05:52 PM

The only reason the line lock discussion got started was because it started life as the overdrive switch. Hardly part of a master plan by B&M. Chris has been too reactive to the strong suggestions of a few. Projected sales numbers can't possibly support a 12v as the primary switch.
Dragsters will buy anything put in front of them, true. But even at 100%, these sales are still a tiny number.
A a real 4 plus OD replacement with an auxilary 12v switch, this poduct will be carried by every retailer. As a drag racing accessory, it's a niche product. Dragsters will buy it either way.

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter