GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

guaging interest in an auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/06, 03:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
understood sub, thank you!

Well I think I am starting to understand now what you are going to sell. So if I can buy a t handle with the o/d button on it seperately, that would work out great. Only thing is like stated earlier, is that us that would like it this way would still need a shifter that has capability to run wire through it. with these beautiful cars, I dont think anyone wants to tie strap a wire. So I guess now the only question is how can we accomplish that. Maybe a shifter cover or something for those that need to run the wire. Or if at all possible designed into the piece. I understand it is late in the game. I wish I would have understood this early on, and maybe could have pushed to have it designed that way from the beginning. But I do understand what your saying. I really appreciate you trying to work on it for both crowds, believe me. So thanks again for listening to those that may want the o/d on a t-handle.
Old 7/23/06, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did the question about the O/D button and the 12v button ever get answered? could the 12v button be wired up to the O/D wires? or is this not compatible? Sorry if thats a noob question, but if this is the case, it might solve alot of folks conserns about the button being on the plate instead of the ball.
Old 7/23/06, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Error404
Did the question about the O/D button and the 12v button ever get answered? could the 12v button be wired up to the O/D wires? or is this not compatible? Sorry if thats a noob question, but if this is the case, it might solve alot of folks conserns about the button being on the plate instead of the ball.
The OD switch is intermittent. I assume the 12v button will be on/off (like a light switch)
Old 7/23/06, 11:47 PM
GT Member

Works for me! Chris, where do I send you the $$$ to be first on the list? LOL!
Old 7/24/06, 08:10 AM
Cobra Member

The T-handle and Ball **** we will offer have built in buttons on them with a hookup wire etc. So essentially if YOU wanted you could switch the wiring from the O/D that's at the bezel to the handle and then use the bezel button for anything you wanted or nothing at all. So, yes this could be done if you wanted too. I am going to suggest we cut a channel in the very front of the stick facing the front of the car/dash area so you can run your wire(s) through there and it will look alot cleaner. I hope this clears up any left over confusion.
Old 7/24/06, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

along side of the front of the round solid stick, couldn't you weld on (or however you would attach it) a 1/2 circle hollow tube thats maybe 1/2 the diameter of the main stick? That way you wouldn't have to cut up the main stick (reducing strength?) and this would cover up the wire and might actually look good? It would be like the shape of a figure 8, but the top circle of the 8 would be 1/2 as small as the bottom 1/2, and squished a bit closer.
Old 7/24/06, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Error404
along side of the front of the round solid stick, couldn't you weld on (or however you would attach it) a 1/2 circle hollow tube thats maybe 1/2 the diameter of the main stick? That way you wouldn't have to cut up the main stick (reducing strength?) and this would cover up the wire and might actually look good? It would be like the shape of a figure 8, but the top circle of the 8 would be 1/2 as small as the bottom 1/2, and squished a bit closer.
What you are describing doesnt sound cost effective at all. IMO the most cost effective way to go is with tube. Problem is unless you can find an off the shelf size that makes sense for the diameter you need it will cost alot to get an extrusion made out of aluminum. Even is you sell 2,000 of these units thats only maybe 1300 feet of tube. Which isnt squat for poundage and therefore the extruder is going to bend oyu over so hard it will make the Shelby ADM look small. Other option is to have the rod machined out but again cost won't be cheap. If someone can find the tube it will make things easy to install the wire.
Old 7/24/06, 10:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

one more thing Sub....i heard someone say it was going to be a round shaft for the shifter...i had the impression that the shaft was going to look like the Hurst shaft or some of your other shifters where it is a flat shaft instead of round
Old 7/25/06, 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

yes the stick itself is round.Due to the shifter linkage on the factory unit we did not feel a flat type stick would last all that long and could eventally break off. A solid upper stick is a much better offering in terms of quality for this unit.
Old 7/25/06, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Chris,

Has there been any more buzz about when we might be doing that install?
Old 7/25/06, 12:24 PM
Cobra Member

yes I posted on this a couple days ago..Plan now is we are going to do a complete install on the rental here next week to confirm all is good and beat up the rental rather than your car..You know: "its a rental, don't be gentle" things goes well here =).....Then, if all is good I will schedule your car in here to do the installation for you and you will officially have the first one from B&M ..Soon, very soon!
Old 7/25/06, 01:19 PM
GT Member

I was driving around last night and was just pretending to hit where the button for the OD will be. Not a problem at all.
Old 7/25/06, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
yes I posted on this a couple days ago..Plan now is we are going to do a complete install on the rental here next week to confirm all is good and beat up the rental rather than your car..You know: "its a rental, don't be gentle" things goes well here =).....Then, if all is good I will schedule your car in here to do the installation for you and you will officially have the first one from B&M ..Soon, very soon!
Kris, I HATE YOU!!

Just kidding - what I meant to say was that I totally envy you! I can't wait to get this in my car, whatever the final configuration.

Chris, again, thank you!
Old 7/27/06, 12:15 PM
Cobra Member

We have scheduled to do a final fit up on the rental monday. I will update once we have completed the install and if all is good I will be contacting Kris very soon after that...
Old 7/27/06, 01:50 PM
V6 Member

Great news! Chris, will you be taking pictures on Monday during the install?

- Johann
Old 7/27/06, 03:31 PM
Cobra Member

Hmmm?.. Maybe.. I was actually going to let Kris have the honors of doing that we we fit his up
Old 7/27/06, 05:52 PM
V6 Member

ah that's ok... what ever you and Kris decide is good.

-Johann
Old 7/28/06, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

So close I can freaking taste it! I will be sure to snap plenty of pics!

Kris
Old 7/28/06, 07:37 PM
GT Member

you're in west covina?!? you gotta let me check it out once its done!
Old 7/29/06, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually, I just moved to Phillips Ranch. Still close by though. Let me know if you ever wanna check the car out. There's a Mustang show today down in Yorba Linda at the John Force Racestation (4-7pm) if you're interested in going. That goes for any SoCal folks that wanna go!

Kris

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter