Search this Thread

Old 2/23/06, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news, thanks for the update!
Old 2/23/06, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This, to me, is my most exciting modification (well, after my ProCharger I guess,) because since day one I have hated the stock shifter and missed shifting the car myself. Don't keep us waiting too long!

Kris
Old 2/23/06, 02:59 PM
FR500 Member

Guys, I've never owned an automatic Mustang before my '05... so I'm not really sure exactly what an auto shifter does. I mean, you can shift the gears manually as it is now with the stock auto shifter. I am guessing an aftermarket auto shifter lets you shift through the gears more like a manual would, where it "clicks" into gear. And obviously one of these shifters looks a lot cooler than the stock one. But is there anything I am missing? I am guessing this will be around $200... so just making sure I know what I'm getting for that.
Old 2/23/06, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Ian, the Ratchet style shifter is similar to what a Sequential shifter in say the BMW's or infinity G35 etc. can do. It gives you the ability to run the car through the gears very quickly with a RATCHET action of the shifter..back and forth. ..can be lots of fun in an automatic~
Old 2/23/06, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

with these computer controlled transmissions, with a ratchet or gate style shifter, would the transmission act as if it had a "manual valve body"? As in, if the ratchet were set to "3nd gear", the transmission would be in 3nd gear even the car was stopped? or does it still compensate and know that the car is going way to slow to be in 3rd gear?

I'm new to computer controlled cars, sorry if thats a silly question.
Old 2/23/06, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Daniel took the words right out of my mouth. I notice when shifting through the gears with the stock automatic shifter, the car doesn't react immediately as it would with a mechanical shift cable. Is this something that needs to be written into a tune or will there be a shift kit available with the shifter? I love the way the auto shifts just in Drive, but I definitely wanna shift it myself as well.

Kris
Old 2/23/06, 09:32 PM
Cobra Member

well that's something we will look at once we get a prototype built, work on some drivability issues with a few different ideas etc. It is still too early for me to answer those questions, but I will definately keep you all informed as each step is gone through.Depending on how well the sales of the auto shifter go, would likely dictate if we release additional trans components like shift kits, torque converters etc. My guess at this point on the shifter gear question is the car would remain in gear unless you downshifted with the shifter into 2nd and then 1st..Then,like a manual start in first and just hammer it through the gears like a sequential...This is only a guess now so don't hold me to anything until we get further into this...Chris
Old 2/23/06, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

As long as I can still do the scene from TOP GUN where maverick does a touch and go to go get cougar... i do that all the time in traffic [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

COUGARRRR!!!!
Old 2/24/06, 12:27 AM
V6 Member

BeAuTIFuL MAriA!!! I'll be patiently waiting for that. Count me in too!
(PM already sent)

~Johann
Old 2/24/06, 07:33 AM
FR500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subzero05 @ February 23, 2006, 10:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Depending on how well the sales of the auto shifter go...
[/b][/quote]

Not that there are a ton of Mustang GT autos... but I will go out on a limb here and say that if B&M can make a nice shifter at a reasonable price with just minimal options, you'd be able to sell it to at least 75% of the auto owners out there. I mean, nobody got an auto because they really wanted to... they got it because for some reason they needed to, or it was more convenient. In a perfect world, we would all be driving sticks. I'm sure all of the auto owners would agree. So, with that said, I doubt you will have any trouble selling tons of these shifters. Especially R&D'ing it right here on the largest Mustang forum there is.
Old 2/24/06, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ February 24, 2006, 8:36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Not that there are a ton of Mustang GT autos... but I will go out on a limb here and say that if B&M can make a nice shifter at a reasonable price with just minimal options, you'd be able to sell it to at least 75% of the auto owners out there. I mean, nobody got an auto because they really wanted to... they got it because for some reason they needed to, or it was more convenient. In a perfect world, we would all be driving sticks. I'm sure all of the auto owners would agree. So, with that said, I doubt you will have any trouble selling tons of these shifters. Especially R&D'ing it right here on the largest Mustang forum there is.
[/b][/quote]

That is what I am hoping for Ian. I firmly believe one of the best ways to sell new products is to get the PUBLIC's opinion on what THEY would like to see.After all, you guys are the ones who are going to use it!. Sure, alot of guys got the auto because wife drives the car,or your in heavy traffic alot...Many reasons..A good auto/sequential shifter can put some of the FUN back in driving the auto. I cannot elaborate much , but there is ANOTHER product we are testing now that could really make ANY auto transmission a whole lotta fun...I will leave that for the inagination for now until we get some more of the bugs out.
Old 2/24/06, 10:02 AM
FR500 Member

Chris, that sounds very interesting. Now, I know you can't give out any concrete information this early... but can you give us a rough estimate of when you may have a shifter out for the '05/'06 auto? Are we talking a couple months? I mean, judging by how long it's taken B&M to come up with, test and release new products in the past. Any guesses? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

I figure a couple months, maybe less. To rapid prototype a piece is quick in our machines (day or two) , but then we need a car to test a few designs out in, do some drivability work,troubleshooting if need be, source any small parts we may need for that particular vehicle etc. .Best I can tell you at this point
Old 2/24/06, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Just dropping in this thread again to say thanks to Chris and B&M for this news. I can honestly say this is the most excited I've been about a future mod coming out. I check this thread every day, at least five times.

If you guys need a nice, shiny, flamed, supercharged '05 GT (daily driven) show car to throw one of the early models at, just let me know. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Kris Horton
Old 2/24/06, 07:35 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ February 24, 2006, 6:36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I mean, nobody got an auto because they really wanted to... they got it because for some reason they needed to, or it was more convenient. In a perfect world, we would all be driving sticks. I'm sure all of the auto owners would agree.[/b][/quote]
Hey now... I got the auto because I wanted to. For bracket racing it is much preferred. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 07:38 PM
Cobra Member

Kris, I may take you up on your offer to try the first shifter out in once we have a working design ready for install to test..we would of course need to use your car, but you would be taken care of on product =)..If you want send me another PM stating your interest and I will contact you personally when we are ready!...chris
Old 2/24/06, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 24, 2006, 9:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey now... I got the auto because I wanted to. For bracket racing it is much preferred. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
i'm with you don [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] there is not one big dollar bracket car that i know or have ever heard of that has a clutch in it. there is a reason for that. anyway if you guys check out NHRA's stock eliminator class records you will find that in most classes the auto is quicker than the stick. not sure really why this is cause it should be the other way around but B&M, TCI,ATI can do wonders with an auto.
i've never looked at the working of our shifters. are they a cable type? if so then why do we have the lag in response when manual shifting? when i manual shift i can't get mine to shift lower than 6400 on any gear no matter where the shift point is set. i figured if i set them to 5500 then i would be able to man shift at 6000 but it doesn't work like that. even still my car is almost always faster manually shifting even when it shifts at the same rpm. this i don't understand but i'm confident B&M and subzero will work this out.
Old 2/25/06, 01:35 PM
V6 Member

I would prefer a ball rather than a "T"
Old 2/25/06, 02:40 PM
GT Member

My daughter drives a 99 Sebring with an AutoStick - it's a blast to be able to shift when you want/need to...I didn't get a manual because here in NoVA you end up riding around with your foot on the clutch constantly due to constant traffic. Definitely count me in!
Old 2/25/06, 11:02 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ February 24, 2006, 6:36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
In a perfect world, we would all be driving sticks. I'm sure all of the auto owners would agree.
[/b][/quote]
I do not agree.... Go eat stuff and terminate yourself. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

-Dan

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter