GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

guaging interest in an auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/06, 07:23 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take it with a T handle as well.

Will the "stick" part or the shifter be round or maybe flat/rectangle? Not sure is the flat stock would be possible to drill and run a wire thru.

Thanks for all you are doing and listening to feedback.

TBone69
Old 7/21/06, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

the stick portion will be round billet steel
Old 7/21/06, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sodaman
well subzero, I don't think anyone here doesnt appreciate what you are trying to do. But this will be my last reply on this topic, and you can decide for yourself. But like I said before a lot more people will buy this if o/d is on the handle, I can almost guarantee it. I don't see why you cant make this possible for both crowds. I think when selling you can offer it two ways, one with the ball shifter as is, and another that comes with the t handle and o/d. So when ordering, if you want the t handle somewhat stock you pay this price, and if you want the ball you pay a different price. Just leave that as an option when ordering. I cant imagine a whole lot has to be changed to run a wire thru the shifter into the console, if you look at the stock piece, hardly anything to the design. I realize yours will be different but, hey if you want to sell a lot of these things, you need to be realistic about the normal everyday consumers as well as racers. After all the racers are a small market compared to the daily drivers. Anyway thats all I have to say, I would love a different shifter, and have line loc capabilities, but am not going to sacrifice quality to have them, so as stated before I probably would buy one of these if somewhat stock actuation is available. I use my o/d everyday lots, and it is a necessity to have it where it is now. After all thats why all the manufacturers design them there, ease of getting too. Thanks for your great ideas. Hopefully you will offer both, or maybe down the road offer us dailys an option. Thanks again.
Soda.. I completely understand your point and I agree but how can I do this with one part # offering?.If the shifter comes with a Ball type **** there is no button on it, unless I use one of our red button ***** which is not really for a O/D button, but would technically work but look a bit tacky. T-handle would be the same way. I don't have one with 2 buttons on it & that limits options as well. There is no way to please everyone and I knew that going in, but I am doing my best to have a product designed that will look great, feel great , enhance the driving experience by creating excitement for you guy and offer as many options as I can withing the constraints we are working with. We're still working on this
Old 7/21/06, 09:18 AM

well subzero, I don't think anyone here doesnt appreciate what you are trying to do. But this will be my last reply on this topic, and you can decide for yourself. But like I said before a lot more people will buy this if o/d is on the handle, I can almost guarantee it. I don't see why you cant make this possible for both crowds. I think when selling you can offer it two ways, one with the ball shifter as is, and another that comes with the t handle and o/d. So when ordering, if you want the t handle somewhat stock you pay this price, and if you want the ball you pay a different price. Just leave that as an option when ordering. I cant imagine a whole lot has to be changed to run a wire thru the shifter into the console, if you look at the stock piece, hardly anything to the design. I realize yours will be different but, hey if you want to sell a lot of these things, you need to be realistic about the normal everyday consumers as well as racers. After all the racers are a small market compared to the daily drivers. Anyway thats all I have to say, I would love a different shifter, and have line loc capabilities, but am not going to sacrifice quality to have them, so as stated before I probably would buy one of these if somewhat stock actuation is available. I use my o/d everyday lots, and it is a necessity to have it where it is now. After all thats why all the manufacturers design them there, ease of getting too. Thanks for your great ideas. Hopefully you will offer both, or maybe down the road offer us dailys an option. Thanks again.
+2!! My sentiments exactly!
Old 7/21/06, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by subzero05
I simply can't please you all, but I am doing the best I can.In order for the O/D to be a part of the T-handle , we would need to create a whole new ****, have the switch solenoid and wiring sent back for re-design and new protos. sent that are longer and have the stick itself cut and channeled out for the wiring to run through.
So.......are you telling us the 12V button you are insisting on putting on the ball or T-handle will require an external exposed wire hanging from it in order to activate/energize the button? EXCUSE ME!!!??? Please tell me this isn't so, because if it is I am certain you just lost the interest of a very large portion of your market. I have been assuming throughout this thread that any wiring to any button or switch on the ball or T-handle would be completely concealed by running it up through the center of the shifter arm.
Old 7/21/06, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

We may channel out the stick for the wire to run up through it. We can't use a "hollow" type stick with wires through it because it would obviously break after shifting a few times..There are Alot of racers who zip tie their line lock or activation solenoids to the shifter or best access point, but with a quality piece like this it would look tacky. I am not insisting on anything!,,I am saying this: The shifter WILL have a **** with it when purchased..it will be round or a teardrop style, possibly white but likely black with a B&M logo. No button on the ****. I may recommend we channel the front of the round stick for those who want to add their own wiring , but if not you really wont notice it anyway. I believe options rather than standards are more important to the guys who want to customize our cars and while I would love to offer the unit in 2 different forms, there is no feasible way to do this cost wise. Of course there is going to be alot of various opinions about what we should do, but the fact is nobody else has stepped up to the plate to help the auto guys but me/us.I cannot put an O/D button on the unit unless we design a new **** (t-handle) with a correct style button for it. Then, I am mandated to include this handle with the unit in order for it to operate.Thus, no options for anyone else not to mention the additional engineering time and higher cost to the comsumer.I had no problem at all pushing the button on the bezel to switch the O/D off for "spirited" driving, even with a big gulp in the cup holder. Sure, its not quite as convenient as it being right at your hand, but if you are going to go carving up through the canyons or whatever, most guys know to turn it off anyways, just like the traction control button.. You have to reach over to turn that off to when you want. We need to have a give and take here.
Old 7/21/06, 10:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

OD button is good position on the bezel man i would not mind doing that...i t-handle with a button for line-lock is a good idea....and i was thinking along the line you were thinking....what if you just make a groove down the front of the shifter and we can just put the wires through there (i think that is stated in your post before i just did not understand it)
Old 7/21/06, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sub I think first off that we should all say we appreciate what you are trying to do. We may be coming accross the wrong way and dont mean to sound ungrateful. Just make whatever config you have to and we will modify it to our liking when we get it. How much longer and how much$$ are we looking at btw??
Old 7/21/06, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Chris, I would also like to reiterate how grateful we are that you and B&M are doing this, regardless of what the final configuration is.

Thanks again, very much, for your efforts to bring this to the market.
Old 7/21/06, 02:23 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks guys.I do not have pricing on it yet though as we have not done a complete install, or costed out all the parts that will be involved.I am still discussing some changes with engineering and they are getting irritated with me, but oh well. I sure hope that majority of you support and want what we come up with and unfortunately if there are a few that don't I am sorry, but nonetheless I appreciate all the feedback
Old 7/21/06, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Chris
all that i can say is thank you for the hard work and effort you have put into this. no matter how it ends up i will buy one. either way it is going to be a great improvement over stock. i used a quicksiler shifter in my 78 z28 and it was so much better than the stock shifter. i can not wait........
Old 7/21/06, 11:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Ok one more post since I am not sure sub is understanding me. This is what I would like to have, a normal t handle, with one button which would be overdrive. Second a button on the bezel which would control the line locs, etc. sub zero i do appreciate anyone trying to make this a better handle. Just wish you could offer it as an option. Maybe next time! You will think about a larger market than just the racers. But as stated everyone here appreciates your help. I would love to buy something, but without o/d on the handle it aint going to happen. thanks for answering my questions.
Old 7/22/06, 12:13 AM

Ok one more post since I am not sure sub is understanding me. This is what I would like to have, a normal t handle, with one button which would be overdrive. Second a button on the bezel which would control the line locs, etc. sub zero i do appreciate anyone trying to make this a better handle. Just wish you could offer it as an option. Maybe next time! You will think about a larger market than just the racers. But as stated everyone here appreciates your help. I would love to buy something, but without o/d on the handle it aint going to happen. thanks for answering my questions.
+1! If I came across as sounding ungrateful, I'm sorry. That was not my intent.
Old 7/22/06, 09:24 PM
Cobra Member

I do understand both of you...But Like I said, If I offer a t-handle in the kit there are no other options for anyone else. A button on the bezel is useless for a line lock or other momentary holding feature.You can't hold the button with the hand you are expected to shift with.i don't know...Maybe I will just have the engineering guys have a t-handle with the button and a ball with the button on top for the O/D and have the bezel button just there if people want to use it for something they choose.
Old 7/22/06, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

the O/D button should just be on the console, who really needs it on the shifter? You dont have to have your hand on the **** to shift to O/D from 4th, just reach down and click it if you must, geeze.

-Dan
Old 7/22/06, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
the stick portion will be round billet steel

Really? Well that's very disappointing. I assumed it would look like the typical B&M shifter arm, like the one used on the Quicksilver. In my opinion a round arm is going to make it look more like a factory shifter rather than a high performance upgrade.
Old 7/22/06, 09:55 PM
GT Member

I just wanted to pass along an observation about the OD button.

I to wanted the button on the handle as I used it quite often. Well today I purchased and XCAL2 and Tunes from JDM and it seems they keep OD from kicking in until reaching cruising speeds.

After the the tune the automatic is now an automagic and I do not see as much need to hit the OD button to get going.

So button dilema solved for me and cant wait for the shifter to come out.

Thanks again
TBone69
Old 7/23/06, 12:03 AM
Cobra R Member

well i know i keep posting after saying im not going to, but this is what i understand after all these posts, is that sub zero is saying that the **** wont have any button, only a button on the bezel, how does that help anyone, except for the better manual shifting, I thought this was designed to give people an added option, line locks etc. so the only button that is stated is on the bezel. so its either o/d or linelocks, or nitrous, on the one button. well just as shown in previous reply its easy to add a switch to console, notice the two switches on the previous reply of this topic. I dont think most people understand what is stated here. All i want is the same stock handle with added features of shifting, but with button on console for linelocks, nitrous, or whatever people choose. This I think is what most would like to be able to add the shifting features of your item but with an additional button, not just a ****, and a button on the bezel. My own 2 cents, but who else agrees with this?
Old 7/23/06, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
the O/D button should just be on the console, who really needs it on the shifter? You dont have to have your hand on the **** to shift to O/D from 4th, just reach down and click it if you must, geeze.

-Dan
I'm not bias towards either side, but you could argue the same for a line lock and nitrous switch
Old 7/23/06, 01:08 PM
Cobra Member

well i know i keep posting after saying im not going to, but this is what i understand after all these posts, is that sub zero is saying that the **** wont have any button, only a button on the bezel, how does that help anyone, except for the better manual shifting, I thought this was designed to give people an added option, line locks etc. so the only button that is stated is on the bezel. so its either o/d or linelocks, or nitrous, on the one button. well just as shown in previous reply its easy to add a switch to console, notice the two switches on the previous reply of this topic. I dont think most people understand what is stated here. All i want is the same stock handle with added features of shifting, but with button on console for linelocks, nitrous, or whatever people choose. This I think is what most would like to be able to add the shifting features of your item but with an additional button, not just a ****, and a button on the bezel. My own 2 cents, but who else agrees with this?
Soda, as it stands now I am looking at offering the following.WITH THE SHIFTER will come a round style **** with no button on it. This would be the standard package where the everyday driver would hit the O/D switch on the bezel to go into O/D...Just like stock but no button on the ****/handle...its on the bezel..For the added feature a customer must purchase a round **** or t-handle with an extra button built into it for a 12V hookup accessory.So this would give a customer the option to hookup whatever...its really very simple.If I build the unit with the O/d button on in the handle,nobody could change to a ball if they wanted and nobody would want a switch on the bezel to use for racing if they so choose. Really If I build the way we were originally thinking all segments of the market can use it, but if I build it the way you are talking only the everyday enthusiast can use it and the racers of the world can't...

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter