GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

guaging interest in an auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/06, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SixtySix
But...I find lot's of leeway in it. It downshifts nicely I think, if it won't do it, there's a darn good reason. When I finish the 1/4 mile, I'm off the go pedal and shift into 3rd, and it does right away, then I shift into second and it will do so when it's safe, but it slows the car considerably so I don't consider it a bad thing. And why do I do this? Keeps me from having too much brake fade and gets me to my preferred exit on the track instead of going down another quarter mile to the other racing exit.
Just wondering, will this type of downshifting hurt the transmission any? It doesn't seem like a good idea though. When I had a stick, I would use the gears to slow me down, but with an auto, it just seems like it is hard on them, mine makes a whinning sound along with a clunk when it engages, is this normal?
Old 8/10/06, 10:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
Just gimme a call or a number to reach you at.

As for the transmission shift kits these trannys are fully electronic. The days of changing springs and ***** are over. I can make a tranny shift as hard as you can request but I can't speak for reliability the harder I go.

Truly though a transmission likes to shift hard because of the less clutch slippage. For example, when your car starts to shift it will slip a clutch pack in order to keep the shift smooth, well we all know what slipping clutches do, increase heat, so the less you have to slip it then less heat you are generating. The same goes for the torque converter but thats a whole different story.

Either way count me in on this, I'd love to have something that looks nicer then my stock black shifter as well as a good transmission pan.

Thanks, Doug.
My number is 818 882 6422 x214 Doug..Give me a call whenever you have time and we can chat....chris
Old 8/11/06, 12:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Action_jackson
Just wondering, will this type of downshifting hurt the transmission any? It doesn't seem like a good idea though. When I had a stick, I would use the gears to slow me down, but with an auto, it just seems like it is hard on them, mine makes a whinning sound along with a clunk when it engages, is this normal?
I think it's normal. I'm also wondering about possible transmission damage, or life shortening by down shifting. Not really by down shifting, but by leaving it in one gear (say, 3rd) while coming down the mountains. My car is a weekend pleasure car, and I take it into the mountains almost everytime I drive, and I usually leave it in 3rd, or at least take it out of overdrive while coming down the mountains.
Old 8/11/06, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

You really wont have a problem downshifting into a lower gear when coming down mountains etc..The trans is designed to slow the vehicle down and handle downshifts like this for this reason..
Old 8/11/06, 12:47 PM
FR500 Member

Yes, that is correct. There was a nice little flame war here about a year and half ago on this very subject. Manually shifting your automatic transmission is not going to kill it. What does kill it? Heat.

If you're an aggresive driver like me who on occasion will manually downshift at the track, or hold a gear while doing some serious mountain driving (I too do this) then it would behoove you to change out the tranny fluid more often.

This kind of driving will literally boil and expand the fluid, and after doing lot's of this will start to affect the shift quality. I changed mine out at 15,000 miles and the firmness came right back. My setup is a little different as my cats are now located right next to the tranny, this probably has more to do with my transmission life than anything.

If your shift quality starts to degrade a little bit, then take it in and have it serviced. It costs a little bit, but will prevent a tranny failure down the road.

So the question remains, will manually shifting your auto trans kill it?

Only if you think you can get away with normal service intervals with this type of driving.
Old 8/12/06, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Tony, that's good advice. I've got a little over 12k on my '05 GT and I'm thinking the next time I take it for an oil change, I'll have them do the tranny fluid too. I tend to shift for meself when driving, um, enthusiastically....

Old 8/12/06, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BigDog
Tony, that's good advice. I've got a little over 12k on my '05 GT and I'm thinking the next time I take it for an oil change, I'll have them do the tranny fluid too. I tend to shift for meself when driving, um, enthusiastically....

DON'T HAVE JIFFY LUBE DO YOUR TRANS FLUID CHANGE, THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...am&btnG=Search

good site: http://boycottcity.org/view/index.ph...55&creatorId=1
Old 8/14/06, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just completed a trip to Denver and a side trip up to Mt. Evans. Spent a lot of time in third gear coming out of the mountains on I-70 and shifted between second and third coming down Mt. Evans, which is 14,000 feet high. Noticed no tranny problems, but I sure wished for the shifter my brother-in-law has in his Dodge Magnum. Why Ford can't put that style of shifter in a Stang is beyond me. I guess the flip side is the Magnum and Charger can't be had with a manual at all! A good ratcheting shifter will be a wonderful thing.
Old 8/14/06, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey, I drove Mt Evans just last July! But I drove the rental car.

Did they ever fix that horrible pavement ripple near that lake towards the top? I would've trashed the rental if my buddy hadn't screamed "SLOW DOWN!!" when we got near it!!
Old 8/14/06, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by atomic_il
DON'T HAVE JIFFY LUBE DO YOUR TRANS FLUID CHANGE, THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!
Way ahead of you, amigo! I haven't used Jiffy Loog for about five years, ever since they ripped me off "charging" my air conditioner.

But back to the subject at hand - how's it going, Chris?
Old 8/14/06, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by subzero05
You really wont have a problem downshifting into a lower gear when coming down mountains etc..The trans is designed to slow the vehicle down and handle downshifts like this for this reason..
This is good to know, so now I will be downshifting all the time Can't wait till this comes out, sometimes I just sit in my car and pretend I have the shifter already installed and am running through the gears, then the neighbors start looking at me strangely. Could you please send me one as soon as you can, before my neighbors turn me in to the loony farm!!!
Old 8/14/06, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

But............ you're already here!!
Old 8/14/06, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Question

Chris hasen't responded in a while...I wonder what's up?
Old 8/14/06, 03:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Transmission Flush!

I too like to keep my tranny fluid flushed, but more like 20-30,000. You dont want to flush it too often. This can effect the seals etc. Best option would be to add a trans cooler and do it about 20-30000. These are just my own opinions though.
Old 8/14/06, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doug904
Just gimme a call or a number to reach you at.

As for the transmission shift kits these trannys are fully electronic. The days of changing springs and ***** are over. I can make a tranny shift as hard as you can request but I can't speak for reliability the harder I go.

Truly though a transmission likes to shift hard because of the less clutch slippage. For example, when your car starts to shift it will slip a clutch pack in order to keep the shift smooth, well we all know what slipping clutches do, increase heat, so the less you have to slip it then less heat you are generating. The same goes for the torque converter but thats a whole different story.

Either way count me in on this, I'd love to have something that looks nicer then my stock black shifter as well as a good transmission pan.

Thanks, Doug.
so your saying setting the shift firmness on a tuner is safe with these cars?
Old 8/14/06, 06:29 PM
Cobra Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 9Venom9
so your saying setting the shift firmness on a tuner is safe with these cars?
it is safe, to a point, as with most things. The clutch packs wont survive as long as Ford expected them to.

-Dan
Old 8/16/06, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cleveland
it is safe, to a point, as with most things. The clutch packs wont survive as long as Ford expected them to.

-Dan
yea I understand that, I wouldn't want to over due it onthe stock tranny but would like it to be a bit more firm for the track.

BTW you know my boy Nick? Your running the NX kit on your 05?
Old 8/16/06, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah, I know Nick (and his car before he KBed it) and yes, I do have the NX kit installed on my car.

-Dan
Old 8/16/06, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I wonder what progress chris has made so far....
Old 8/19/06, 11:40 AM

This is going to be so much fun, can't wait to try it out!!! So SubZero is there any new to report? Do you have any kind of a projected release date? Nothing exact, I mean is going to be a month, 6 months?

Thanks again for keeping us informed and pushing for this to get done.

tim

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter