GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

guaging interest in an auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/06, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found this thread. I'll take one with a T-handle, as well. Pistol grip would be cool though, too. I've been looking for an upgrade for the auto shifter too, but hadn't found anything until now. Definitely make the metal parts match the finish of the IUP, and any black parts (possible boot?) in charcoal to match the stock interior. It is important that it look like a Ford factory installation, not an "afterthought"! Disappointed with the O/D button on the bezel, though. I would much prefer the O/D button on the T-handle, like it is now, with a line-lock button. I won't be putting Nitros on my car, so don't have a need for that. I'm so excited, I can hardly wait!!!
Old 7/16/06, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

we are going to polish and anodize up the bezel piece to match more of the IUP and/or steering wheel inserts on the car. On our ***** we only have room for one button and the majority of the guys here wanted a "line lock or 12v source" button on the handle for easy access, which is why we needed to put the O/D button on the bezel itself...Otherwise we would have had to come up with a completely new **** with 2 bottons and that would not only taken wayyyyy longer, but probably would have looked tacky.
Old 7/16/06, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually, after following this thread for awhile, I find that when I rest my right hand on the shifter as I drive, I would be able to punch the O/D button simply by lowering my finger to the front of the bezel, so that location is fine with me.

Try it, see how it works for you....
Old 7/16/06, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Throw us a a bone here, everyone say it with me... Spy photo! Spy photo! Spy photo!
Old 7/16/06, 07:24 PM
GT Member

Throw us a a bone. Spy photo! Spy photo! Spy photo!
Old 7/17/06, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

where does he live, I have a pretty big lens, I could hide in the bushes
Old 7/17/06, 07:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Error404
where does he live, I have a pretty big lens, I could hide in the bushes

Cool I'll hold the lens!
Old 7/17/06, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

Love too, but it was in and back out of the car so quick I didn't get a chance too with all the other things I had going on that day...Soon enough we will get kris in and he can have the honor of posting some
Old 7/17/06, 11:25 PM
Cobra R Member

well sub zero, Is there a possibillity that you can make the wiring possible to switch the buttons, in other words, make the line loc on the handle the overdrive, and make the line loc the button on the bezel if we choose we would rather have it in that order. Personally I would love one of these but if I have to push on a button on the bezel everytime I want to go into o/d this isnt going to work for me. I am sure most people on here use there o/d buttons a lot more then they go to the trac and use the line loc button. I am not understanding why it wouldnt be better to have the line loc seperate on the bezel. If you are cruising down the road and not sitting still at the track and that button gets pushed, guess what big accident. I think you might want to rethink which button should have which option, but thats just me!
Old 7/18/06, 12:14 AM
V6 Member

+1. I would be using O/D much more since I currently do not have line locks installed. I may install line locks in the future, but for right now, the O/D button is the only one I will be pushing.
Old 7/18/06, 08:13 AM
Cobra Member

hmmm?...I don't know. It may be too late for us to change that now. I went with the thoughts most of you mentioned. Most of you stated you wanted a 12V button on the **** or close enough to it...Let me look into this.
Old 7/18/06, 08:27 AM
GT Member

Ditto for me, I would rather see the O/D button on the handle and line lock on the bezel.

Or have the wiring for the switches modular with some sort of plug/jack that can be switched around so the customer can make the change to meet their needs.

Maybe even leave a little slack in the wire for us so we can modify ourselves. Nothing a little solder, heat shrink and wire cutters couldn't fix.

Thanks
Tbone69
Old 7/18/06, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Not to be a trouble maker, but I'd rather have OD on the T-handle too. But don't slow down the project. I'm in either way. Just don't plan on using line locks. Thanks again for your efforts.
Old 7/18/06, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

we can make the change..We are going to do a mock up piece with the buttons reversed....
Old 7/18/06, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sodaman
If you are cruising down the road and not sitting still at the track and that button gets pushed, guess what big accident. I think you might want to rethink which button should have which option, but thats just me!
Just to clear up, if you press the line lock button without holding the brake pedal nothing happens.

I could care less about the mounting of the O/D button but I suppose that you can see if it can be "modular" for the people that prefer for it to be closer than the bezel.

-Dan
Old 7/18/06, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Chris, I'm down for the line lock idea. In fact, I've wanted to install one. With the giant brakes on all 4 corners, I can't do a brake stand to save my life without installing a custom proportioning valve just for the purpose of doing burnouts. How hard/time consuming is a line-lock install on these new trannies?
Old 7/18/06, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

you dont line-lock a tranny... you just install 2 solenoids inline of the 2 front brake lines and provide a switched 12v source for activation. There are a few install threads around here and the work isnt really all that involved, I think bleeding the system after your done is the hardest part.

-Dan
Old 7/18/06, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Correct.. We have a line lock kit that is a universal design that you adapt to your application. It is just as Cleveland says above.
Old 7/18/06, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cleveland
you dont line-lock a tranny... you just install 2 solenoids inline of the 2 front brake lines and provide a switched 12v source for activation. There are a few install threads around here and the work isnt really all that involved, I think bleeding the system after your done is the hardest part.

-Dan
In my case, double flaring the brake lines was the hardest part for me... mainly because I had never done that before.

As far as the button, I don't really care. I already have a line lock safety switch installed on the console (I prefered that over a momentary switch anyway). And I don't mess around with the OD button too much either.
Old 7/18/06, 02:00 PM
Cobra Member

Well since the O/D button is just a On all the time or push to disable it, I think we will leave it where it is on the bezel since it will probably take a while longer to redo the switches etc in order to make the change back to the ****. The 12V button will only be active or hooked up for those guys who want or need it for their specific application, otherwise it would remain idle.I will TRY and get a Spy shot for you guys , but I am not going to make any promises as far as quality of the pic and keep in mind whatever I get in not necessarily the finished piece, but only to give you an idea.

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter