GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Fuego Tuner! What can we expect?

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/06, 05:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeedRoush
I'm new to "Mustang World" and have come over from "Motorcycle Land" I'm not clear on what a tuner like Fuego/SCT does.

The first post shows a Fuego tuner map where there was a huge HP gain just by using the Fuego? Is the OEM map that inefficient?

Anyone care to provide the basics? How does it work? Where does it plug in? What does it do?

thanks
First off, welcome!! In response to your questions, the stock computer tune that the cars come with is optimized for daily driving over many different styles of driving, roads, conditions...etc. It is a failsafe tune that sacrifices power for comfort, reliability, engine safety, and emissions.

A tuner like Fuego or SCT will retune the engine's computer and optimize it for power and torque. It changes the spark timing, air/fuel ratios, and many other paremeters to make the engine perform at it's "peak" rather than just perform. One of the main benefits of a tuner is the ability to reprogram the computer to be able to add other modifications, like a cold air intake kit, change rev limits/speed limiters, or change final drive gears and still have the speedo match up. Also, many tuners can accurately monitor and display, or "datalog" different parameters such as intake and engine temp, air fuel ratios, spark timing, etc.

The tuners plug into the OBD II diagnostic port under the steering column, kind of like plugging in a printer to the rear of a computer.

Check out SCT's webpage or Granatelli's upcoming Fuego tuner for more info on what they can do.
Old 10/9/06, 01:26 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Jr, Fuego still on schedule...two weeks? Thanks
It would appear as though we are on schedule but Our release date is Oct 31 in Las Vegas at teh SEMA show - they all ship shortly after that
Old 10/22/06, 03:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Jr. this Fuego thread is losing steam. I actually had to do a "search" to find it. I haven't forgot and I'm still very interested. It should only be two weeks away right? Please keeps us updated... Thanks
Old 10/22/06, 03:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Steel town Stang, I Just installed a SCT tune from doug at bamachips on my granatelli CAI, it is awesome and its only a 87 octane torque tune. I have to empty the tank to get to the 93 octane race and performance. This thing rocks. Thought you might want to know.
Old 10/22/06, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by sodaman
Steel town Stang, I Just installed a SCT tune from doug at bamachips on my granatelli CAI, it is awesome and its only a 87 octane torque tune. I have to empty the tank to get to the 93 octane race and performance. This thing rocks. Thought you might want to know.
Are all the tunes available for the granatelli CAI? Wasn't sure if he had any yet??
Old 10/23/06, 11:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

THANKS! Did you get the MAF with the GMS CAI as well? How do you like the set-up with the tune? Was it a noticeable difference?
Old 10/23/06, 11:40 AM
Cobra R Member

I have been dealing with doug, he seems to really know his stuff when I talk to him. I bought the gms cai with there maf and jumper harness. Ran great, no check engine lights. Definitely more pull etc. But I am addicted and an ex mechanic so I needed more. I have been waiting to deal with doug and his tunes. Well I spoke with him in regards to the tunes for the GMS, and he stated he was told he could run a C&L tune on these intakes, as they are basically identical in flow characteristics. I did take out there MAF by recommendations from doug, and put back in the stock MAF with the C&L tune. He is coming to st. louis and will do a custom tune for me in a few weeks. So he will i am sure in the future have granatelli specific tunes for those that want them. Until then the C&L 87 octane torque tune from him rocks, and I am running out my tank to do the 93 race and performance tunes as well. No check engine lights and this thing really hauls butt now. I cant wait for the 93 for my real judgement. Anyway if you have a gms cai and you are ready to tune, call doug he will hook you up. Great guy and great service, second to none.
Old 10/23/06, 12:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have been dealing with doug, he seems to really know his stuff when I talk to him. I bought the gms cai with there maf and jumper harness. Ran great, no check engine lights. Definitely more pull etc. But I am addicted and an ex mechanic so I needed more. I have been waiting to deal with doug and his tunes. Well I spoke with him in regards to the tunes for the GMS, and he stated he was told he could run a C&L tune on these intakes, as they are basically identical in flow characteristics. I did take out there MAF by recommendations from doug, and put back in the stock MAF with the C&L tune. He is coming to st. louis and will do a custom tune for me in a few weeks. So he will i am sure in the future have granatelli specific tunes for those that want them. Until then the C&L 87 octane torque tune from him rocks, and I am running out my tank to do the 93 race and performance tunes as well. No check engine lights and this thing really hauls butt now. I cant wait for the 93 for my real judgement. Anyway if you have a gms cai and you are ready to tune, call doug he will hook you up. Great guy and great service, second to none.
Old 10/23/06, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must admit I am considering going with a tune this coming spring. It will come down to either the Fuego or Doug's SCT tune (or maybe even a fuego tune from Doug)...Who knows what sweet little updates we have to look forward to in the near future.
Old 10/24/06, 06:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Where are you Jr.?
Old 11/1/06, 08:24 AM
V6 Member

Talking Soon

JR was probably getting ready for Sema in Las Vegas. I'm still waiting for the Fuego in spite of Doug's thread
Old 11/7/06, 11:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

JR., I see that you've made it back on the the "comparison thread" today. What's up with the Fuego...? I've been patiently awaiting.
Old 11/7/06, 01:12 PM
V6 Member

Thumbs up The other thread is closed :)

Just called and ordered the Fuego Flash Tuner from Morgan (805-486-6644, ext 17). Thanks JR
Old 11/7/06, 01:19 PM

How much was it? thanks.
Old 11/7/06, 01:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by rfurley
How much was it? thanks.
+1. If I remember correctly...It was suppose to be around $300, right?
Old 11/7/06, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry if this question has already been asked. But does the fuego marry itseft to only one car/ECU? Or will I have to unlock it and restore it to use it on a different mustang?
Old 11/8/06, 07:46 AM
V6 Member

Smile

I paid $350US even though JR's projected price was $299. If it does what it's supposed too (and why shouldn't it), that's a bargain. As I purchased a GMS CAI from them on August 23, I don't know if I got a discounted price. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter to me and I hope that you get a lower price. Your gain (if any), will not be my loss

My Xmas wish is to get the Fuego Flash Tuner before I my Vert arrives at the Dealer . . . Morgan implied that that might not happen . . . no matter. I have had 2 programmers in the past 5 years, both from Hypertech (Power Programmer III # 30015 & their # 30025, so that I could read the DTCs). As far as I know (and I have looked into this), they all "attach" themselves to one vehicle. Some of them allow you to see DTCs on other cars, though.

After you've used one, you will not be able to live without "it", even if you are not a computer geek (and I is one).
Old 11/14/06, 01:58 PM
V6 Member

Lightbulb Bargain Hunters

Cool Blue Performance on eBay has 10 available Fuego Tuners for $299.99. SportCompactOnly.com has them for $318.11; neither includes shipping. Maybe I should cancel my order
Old 11/15/06, 11:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Wonder if they come with tunes....
Old 11/17/06, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey JR, it's time to pipe in with some updates. How are things going with the tuner, what about the TMS group buy, what do we need to know about the tuner before we buy, etc....

Quick Reply: Granatelli Fuego Tuner! What can we expect?