GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI survey, please read

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/07, 08:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KenB
This is far from scientific, but I went to the track today to help a friend and decided to bring my car. My car is mostly stock. Has gears, mufflers and our CAI/Tune. It's also an auto. Had it to the track right after I got it. It was the same as it is now except with a different CAI. Best was a 13.8@101. That was on stock tires, full gas tank, right off the street.

Went today with only changes being my 19" wheels with Kuhmo tires, out CAI, some tranny tuning changes and probably a little better weather. Went 13.24@103.8 Again, this was right off the street. I don't even think I checked the air pressure. Car hooked pretty good considering the tires. Best was a 1.94.

Ken
WOW.... sorry i didnt make it to the track today (tattoo guy took a bit of time) .. i wish i had gone now just to see those runs, not to mention photos!

For those of you who are being skeptical, let me just say that its understandable to question a new product. Trying to put myself in your shoes (looking from the outside in) i would be pretty impressed with the data and information proven so far! I work at MD and i have seen this project from its inception. Its people like Ken who have vision and the determination to take on such a project. I'm proud to say i work where there are people that care about selling, installing and creating quality products.

-K
Old 11/3/07, 11:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by KenB
You must not be able to read because I detailed many times what went into the design of our intake. OR, you are here to start trouble.

kenb, there always seems to be someone who comes and throws a wrench into a sincere thread.

i for one is seriously considering your unit. your data seems to make sense.

thanks kenb..
Old 11/4/07, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by foghorn2
Would a dryer vent hose with a MAS housing in an optimal spot and an air filter on the end give you the same resullts with a tune Ken?
It depends on what kind of dryer sheet you use. Snuggle or Downy sheets are recommended. Also, ensure the lint-filter is always clean for optimal results. Your mom would know because she probably still does your laundry.
Old 11/4/07, 09:06 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please conduct yourselves in a gentlemanly manner, review the forum rules if you are not sure.
Old 11/4/07, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

kenb,

very interesting information on the velocity of the air going through the CAI and elbow.

how do you make sure this is optimized?

thanks!
Old 11/4/07, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
kenb,

very interesting information on the velocity of the air going through the CAI and elbow.

how do you make sure this is optimized?

thanks!
There are some very complex math models you can use but in reality they only get you in the ballpark. After that, it takes alot of testing. There is never an OPTIMAL design. It really just depends on what you are looking for. Different designs may promote better torque over horsepower or the other way around. Have you noticed alot of CAIs in the 25-30 rwhp range but the torque numbers seem to vary alot?

The goal with our intake was to at least match the best horsepower numbers out there while not sacrificing torque and maintaining good laminar airflow in all areas.
Old 11/4/07, 02:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by foghorn2
Would a dryer vent hose with a MAS housing in an optimal spot and an air filter on the end give you the same resullts with a tune Ken?
OK this guy is obviously a moron and is simply here to stir crap up. Take a look at all his other posts he is bagging on anything and everything in his threads. Go away TROLL!!!

Richard
Old 11/4/07, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
OK this guy is obviously a moron and is simply here to stir crap up. Take a look at all his other posts he is bagging on anything and everything in his threads. Go away TROLL!!!

Richard
+1
Old 11/4/07, 03:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Troll alert!!
Old 11/4/07, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

I just placed my order for Ken's CAI.

I have been waiting awhile to purchase one due to similarities among all of them, and none stuck out as one I would use or why. I am glad a person of Kens ability has stepped up and "entered the market". It is a truly custom piece( where are you going to find custom fabrication for $280?) and a good looking unit IMHO. I know people will ask where I got it from when they see it.
If anyone out there has doubts, by all means, go elsewhere. If a proven tuner of Ken's ability is not enough for you,by all means go elsewhere. but I on the otherhand will be proud to know I have something not many other owners with CAI's have.
Again, those in doubt, go elsewhere. I'm sure someone else will give you a placebo and take your money to make you happy.

But please don't bash someone for something you don't appreciate.
Old 11/4/07, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD

Richard
+2
Old 11/4/07, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
I just placed my order for Ken's CAI.

I have been waiting awhile to purchase one due to similarities among all of them, and none stuck out as one I would use or why. I am glad a person of Kens ability has stepped up and "entered the market". It is a truly custom piece( where are you going to find custom fabrication for $280?) and a good looking unit IMHO. I know people will ask where I got it from when they see it.
If anyone out there has doubts, by all means, go elsewhere. If a proven tuner of Ken's ability is not enough for you,by all means go elsewhere. but I on the otherhand will be proud to know I have something not many other owners with CAI's have.
Again, those in doubt, go elsewhere. I'm sure someone else will give you a placebo and take your money to make you happy.

But please don't bash someone for something you don't appreciate.
I agree with you as well.

Great choice, Are you getting the tuner as well I know yours is an 08.
Old 11/4/07, 09:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mayito514
I agree with you as well.

Great choice, Are you getting the tuner as well I know yours is an 08.
Yes I am
Old 11/5/07, 06:06 AM
Bullitt Member

For those of you getting a painted intake, how do you want the heat shield? Painted the same color or polished?

Ken
Old 11/5/07, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Ken

Make mine Polished Thanks
Old 11/5/07, 07:19 AM
Cobra Member

I've read some of KenB's write ups and his responses to me have been extremely technical and knowledgable.

I'm strongly considering this CAI.
Old 11/5/07, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Ken

What do you think about this heat shield that was in the other post?
Do you see any advantages over any of the others or the one your fabricating for ours? You think its possible to modify the one your planning on releasing with our CAI? It appears this one is molded, but is there more air going into it without adding Ram-Air?
Also does K&N have a Blue filter? Just thought I'd ask...
Old 11/5/07, 08:10 AM
V6 Member

Could I get an 93 "Race" tune and a 91 "less Racey" tune...
Old 11/5/07, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
Ken

What do you think about this heat shield that was in the other post?
Do you see any advantages over any of the others or the one your fabricating for ours? You think its possible to modify the one your planning on releasing with our CAI? It appears this one is molded, but is there more air going into it without adding Ram-Air?
Also does K&N have a Blue filter? Just thought I'd ask...

I think it's ok. It's a bit big and commands alot of attention. The way they made it, it forces you to put that S bend in the pipe which I think is not the best. While I think the heat shield is important, I don't really think one of that size and design is necessary.

I don't think K&N makes a blue filter. I could try and source out the same type filter in blue for you and put it in the kit, but I choose K&N because I think it's the best filter.
Old 11/5/07, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tboned
Could I get an 93 "Race" tune and a 91 "less Racey" tune...
Yes you can. Our X2's include 2 tunes and it's up to you what you choose!

Ken

Quick Reply: CAI survey, please read