GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The 2005+ Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/05, 01:03 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally, I think yours sounds pretty good. I assumed the X-pipe would have given it more of a raspy sound.
If I ever decide to take off my Loud Mouths, Flowmasters will be on the top of my list now. (especially since Flowmasters are now cheaper than the Loud Mouths... weird, huh?)
Old 9/10/05, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After hearing Jay's x-pipe/flowmaster combo, it definately has convinced me to add an x-pipe to mine. Now I just need to determine if I wanna go with no cats or high flow cats.
Old 9/10/05, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by STANG_IT@September 9, 2005, 11:15 PM
Here's a video clip of my Stang with Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Backs and off road x-pipe. Thanks to y22kc for the help.
Flowmaster w/ off road x pipe

Bandwidth exceeded :bang: :bang:
Old 9/22/05, 08:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Got a new sound clip using Google Video. The bad news is, you have to download the Google Video player in order to view it. The good news is, it's really easy to use, and I now can download video clips.

This is comparing the stock exhaust to the JBA Evol exhaust. Both cars have a JLT CAI and SCT tune.

Order of events:

At first, both cars running, stock car (redfire) revs several times while JBA at idle.

Then, stock car turns off, JBA car revs several times. (Deeper, throatier)

Then, JBA car off, stock car revs a few more.

There is not too much of a sound volume difference, but the JBA sounds a little deeper and the stock a little raspier, IMO.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=%22J...2+playable:true
Old 9/22/05, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I finally got the Hooker Axle-backs, (Thanks Nino), installed and here's some pics.

I screwed around trying to record sounds, but having major problems with the camera. Everytime I start the car or rev it, the camera's sound recording shuts down, I don't have an actual video recorder type, just a dig cam.

Anyway:

Loudness is slightly less than the SLP PF's, but definetly has a nice deep tone with minimum drone (although some is still there). I wished I had gotten these first, rather than the SLP's.

Great looking system, easy to install, looks nice (All Chrome), and a PITA to get the alignment done. Trying to get the tips to show equal amounts on both sides as well as getting a good equal distance around from the valance hole.

The clamps that come with it are worthless, had to use two clamps from my old SLP Power-flows to get them tight emough to hold the correct alignment. The original clamps are thick and chrome plated, but one of the included bolts snapped as I was tightning it and the other would not hold tight enough, no matter how hard I tightend it.

Got any questions, just ask
Old 9/22/05, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Wardog 07@September 22, 2005, 11:39 AM
I finally got the Hooker Axle-backs, (Thanks Nino), installed and here's some pics.

I screwed around trying to record sounds, but having major problems with the camera. Everytime I start the car or rev it, the camera's sound recording shuts down, I don't have an actual video recorder type, just a dig cam.

Anyway:

Loudness is slightly less than the SLP PF's, but definetly has a nice deep tone with minimum drone (although some is still there). I wished I had gotten these first, rather than the SLP's.

Great looking system, easy to install, looks nice (All Chrome), and a PITA to get the alignment done. Trying to get the tips to show equal amounts on both sides as well as getting a good equal distance around from the valance hole.

The clamps that come with it are worthless, had to use two clamps from my old SLP Power-flows to get them tight emough to hold the correct alignment. The original clamps are thick and chrome plated, but one of the included bolts snapped as I was tightning it and the other would not hold tight enough, no matter how hard I tightend it.

Got any questions, just ask
Looks great man, I can't wait to put mine on this Saturday morning. So if I'm careful when taking off the factory clamp, will it be sturdy enough to use on the Hookers?
Old 9/22/05, 08:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by MTAS@September 22, 2005, 4:30 PM
Looks great man, I can't wait to put mine on this Saturday morning. So if I'm careful when taking off the factory clamp, will it be sturdy enough to use on the Hookers?
It's welded on to the factory axlebacks, so you want be able to re use the stock clamp.
Old 9/22/05, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MTAS@September 22, 2005, 11:30 PM

Brad is correct, the original clamps are welded on the stock pipes. I had SLP Power-Flows on it before and had to use two clamps from that set-up.

The Hooker clamps are hefty and would probably work, but you would need to go out and buy some better, stronger, bolts & nuts, to use on them.

Tom
Old 9/23/05, 07:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Wardog 07@September 22, 2005, 11:33 PM
Brad is correct, the original clamps are welded on the stock pipes. I had SLP Power-Flows on it before and had to use two clamps from that set-up.

The Hooker clamps are hefty and would probably work, but you would need to go out and buy some better, stronger, bolts & nuts, to use on them.

Tom
Thanks guys - I'll do just that. I'll take the nuts & bolts from the Hooker set to Lowes and get some stronger ones.
Old 9/23/05, 08:28 PM

hey there MTAS
I got my SLPs on tonight and took the car for a spin....WOOOW shes loud now . Look out. One thing I will say is I am glad that I dont have fat fingers because slipping into some of them spots was crazy. (no silly comments needed). I did do the battery disconnect and all seems well didnt feel no power loss or anything.
Good luck on your install and cant wait to compare exhaust
Old 9/25/05, 12:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Awesome Perry - can't wait to hear them in person! Well here are the Hookers! And thanks for the tip Wardog, I went to Lowes and picked up 2 each of grade nuts & bolts and the Hooker clamps worked like a charm . Here are the pics - I just put these on yesterday:

And a clip I just made. They're not as loud as you might think for a hybrid straight-through/chambered muffler (you can see straight through them, but there are baffles/chambers in there). But what the clip doesn't tell is the enormous amount of bass that's there now - massive bass and a nice deep rumble at idle. Not the greatest clip in the world, I only have a 16Meg card for now, sorry They remind me of the 05 Flowmaster kit.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dpjedi/hooker_aerochamber.mpg
Old 9/25/05, 04:17 PM
GT Member

I am just curious. Is there a reason you don't have a clip for CORSA. I really think it is one of the better exhausts available for the 05 Mustang GT. Is it because of the cost?
Old 9/25/05, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by scottma@September 25, 2005, 4:20 PM
I am just curious. Is there a reason you don't have a clip for CORSA. I really think it is one of the better exhausts available for the 05 Mustang GT. Is it because of the cost?
Not really. It's because no one has offered a clip. I know their website has sounds on it, someone could post that. But I know the Corsa tips are very "hate it or love it" on TMS.
Old 9/26/05, 06:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=30...playable%3Atrue

Finally, I can post video clips. I use Google Video. It takes a couple of days for them to verify the video after you upload it, but it's free and seems to work. You may have to download their Google Player in order to run this.

This is a video of the FRPP type S (loud) exhaust on the left/Redfire, compared to a JBA Evol Exhaust. Both cars have a JLT CAI and Xcal2 SCT tune.

Sequence of events:
Both running, FRPP revs three time.
JBA revs three times, then shuts off.
FRPP revs twice, then shuts off.
JBA cranks up, revs twice, then shuts off.
FRPP cranks up, revs three times, and video over.

It's pretty easy to follow, the FRPP is louder and deeper, but the video doesn't do it justice. It is actually much louder than the JBA at pretty much all throttle settings, but also has a LOT more drone from 1600-2100, where the JBA only has a little drone from 1600-1800.

If someone is looking for loud, deep, and mean, I'd recommend the FRPP type S (round cans, loud). If you want a little louder and deeper than stock, the JBA's are nice.
Old 9/26/05, 09:27 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@September 25, 2005, 7:46 PM
Not really. It's because no one has offered a clip. I know their website has sounds on it, someone could post that. But I know the Corsa tips are very "hate it or love it" on TMS.
I have been really happy with my CORSA Exhausts and I just found out that they are now selling an x pipe. I think I am going to go with JBA LTH's and X Pipe but I will get more info on the CORSA before making final decision.
Old 9/27/05, 11:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've had the SLP LM's for a while now and i've noticed this vibration sound when the car is idling (like at a stop light). This doesn't happen always, it seems to happen only at certain rpms. Almost always happens if its idling in gear and i turn the a/c on. Has anyone else noticed this???

edit: I've check the bolts and they are tight. Can they be too tight?
Old 9/28/05, 12:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GtStallion51@September 28, 2005, 7:53 AM
I've had the SLP LM's for a while now and i've noticed this vibration sound when the car is idling (like at a stop light). This doesn't happen always, it seems to happen only at certain rpms. Almost always happens if its idling in gear and i turn the a/c on. Has anyone else noticed this???
edit: I've check the bolts and they are tight. Can they be too tight?
I had the same vibration before, but found out that the metal hangers from one of the mufflers was rubbing up against the metal portion of the rubber grommet bracket thing.

TC
Old 9/28/05, 12:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Wardog 07@September 27, 2005, 11:32 PM
I had the same vibration before, but found out that the metal hangers from one of the mufflers was rubbing up against the metal portion of the rubber grommet bracket thing.

TC

I'll have to check that tomorrow .... thanks
Old 10/5/05, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

...anyone have a clip with just MAC axlebacks?
Old 10/6/05, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Just to throw another oppinion in the mix, I just installed my FRPP axleback last night.
I LOVE them.
Sounds great and the tips looks awesome. :worship:

Quick Reply: The 2005+ Exhaust Thread