GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The 2005+ Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/05, 09:35 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with the Flowmaster American Thunders,,,,I think they are much louder then the Stocks...I love them yea baby...JohnnyT
Old 10/12/05, 01:05 PM
V6 Member

Does anyone have a clip of o/r bassani x-pipe with borla s-types(or the frpp/steeda) catback
Old 10/19/05, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cmm101@October 12, 2005, 2:08 PM
Does anyone have a clip of o/r bassani x-pipe with borla s-types(or the frpp/steeda) catback
lookout on the Offroad Bassini pipe ! it is LOUD and it is NASTY ! -

have Bassini all way to headers ( they are coming in a few weeks when they finally hit the market ) ----- with the X-Pipe and O/R -- She sounds "old school race " -- very loud - sends off alarms and wakes up sleepy drivers

- has a slight throat with more of a rasp up to 1 grand - accelerate constantly from there, it rasps less and throats more with a rumble --

hit it very quickly from 1 grand and She'll roar briefly before returning to the nasty sound -- EVERYBODY knows She's coming --- if you do not like Nasty Loud, switch in the modular Cats for the Offroads and the sound goes down a lot and is less raspy -

visited a Dealer today for service and they said they heard Her several blocks away and were out there waiting for me to round the corner -

Old 10/19/05, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

one more note - the benefit to all Basssini -- ( if you consider it a benefit ) -

as soon as you keep a steady throttle, the sound goes completely away - and no drones or resonance at all -
Old 10/25/05, 01:53 PM
FR500 Member

I finally got my SLP Loudmouths and installed them last night. It is LOUD! But I love the sound... and I love the tips too. Here's a pic:
Old 10/25/05, 02:06 PM
FR500 Member

Also, I have a clip of my old Magnaflows with an off-road h-pipe (factory h-pipe with gutted cats)- http://2005stang.com/images/stangmovies/ormagnaflow.avi . This could go in the first post with all the clips... just a different combination for everyone to hear.

By the way, since I have the Bassani off-road x-pipe on the way, I am selling my factory h-pipe with the cats gutted. As you can hear from the video, it's a very rough sound. You could smooth it out a lot more by having someone cut off the cats and weld some 2.5" diameter pipe in it's place for pretty cheap. I had called some exhaust shops a while back and was quoted as little as twenty bucks to do it. I'd like to get $75 for my off-road h-pipe. SO, you could have an off-road h-pipe for about a hundred bucks. PM me if interested.
Old 10/25/05, 05:20 PM
GT Member

Acadian, thank you so much I've been wanting to hear a soundclip of gutted cats for a long time now. I have a pro chamber and loudmouths and have been thinking of doing that forever. I think your car sounds great! The only thing holding me back now is the exhaust fumes issue. Everyone with off road pipes say it's unbearable. Are you experiencing this? My car is a daily driver and I don't want to have to wear a gas mask while driving.
Old 10/26/05, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

can anyone give their input and experience to answer this queston...

would there be any volume increase by switching out just the x pipe from the stock h? and how would it affect my backpressure...

I'm not ready to spend all this kind of money on the entire exhaust, but if an x pipe will increase the loudness on the stock cans for now - without adversely affecting my hp, that'll do just fine until I delve a little further into my pocket book for the entire setup I'll be runing in the future...
Old 10/26/05, 06:54 AM
Bullitt Member

sorry...meant to clarify that it would be an off-road x pipe...
Old 10/26/05, 09:03 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by rakkassan34@October 25, 2005, 6:23 PM
Acadian, thank you so much I've been wanting to hear a soundclip of gutted cats for a long time now. I have a pro chamber and loudmouths and have been thinking of doing that forever. I think your car sounds great! The only thing holding me back now is the exhaust fumes issue. Everyone with off road pipes say it's unbearable. Are you experiencing this? My car is a daily driver and I don't want to have to wear a gas mask while driving.
Don't go gutting your cats with SLP's now. After driving with the SLP's yesterday and today, I don't like the gutted cats. That "rough" sound that the gutted cats made before (that used to be muffled by the Magnaflows) is really loud now that I have no mufflers. I don't like it one bit. And I am experiencing a lot of drone now... which I believe is due to the backpressure from having hollow "cans" there. I am looking into having my cats cut off and 2.5" straight pipe welded in their place. I'll do that within the next week or so and give an update on the sound, as well as record a video/sound clip. I think that will solve the problem, for sure. As far as the smell from not having cats, it doesn't bother me at all. You really can only smell it if you are behind the car while it's on. I drive with my windows down most of the time too. Maybe if I'm at a redlight, and the wind happens to be blowing from the back of the car, I can smell it. Now, I'm sure people behind me can smell it... but like I said in another post, that's my way of affecting more senses of my fellow drivers.
Old 10/26/05, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Machine@October 26, 2005, 7:56 AM
can anyone give their input and experience to answer this queston...

would there be any volume increase by switching out just the x pipe from the stock h? and how would it affect my backpressure...

I'm not ready to spend all this kind of money on the entire exhaust, but if an x pipe will increase the loudness on the stock cans for now - without adversely affecting my hp, that'll do just fine until I delve a little further into my pocket book for the entire setup I'll be runing in the future...

the x-pipe will affect the flow and depending on your current tune, may be running a little lean...i have a Dealer fulley loaded Diablo and tested for the AFR after the pipes went on -- if you are not running right -- the light will come on in the message center and you will hear a pinging sound from the car -- i would NOT let her run anymore after that -- w/o the AFR adjustment -- the o2 sensors were changed out in the back to go with the Bassini x Pipe and Straight Pipe -- and no adjustment was required beyond that --- left the front sensors as it was -- the problem with modding this Mustang is every time there needs to be a Tune adjustment --

there will definately be a volume increase as the x allows for easier flow with less restriction than the stock H - and even more so if you run straight pipes from there - with no cats -

there is typically a little hp gain due to the x-pipe, especially with the tune --
Old 10/28/05, 09:52 AM
FR500 Member

Linda, you have the Bassani off-road x-pipe and the SLP Loudmouths? Did I read that right? If so, how do you like the sound. I am thinking of just going ahead and putting on the Bassani off-road x that I had ordered. I also have the SLP Loudmouths.
Old 10/30/05, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi guys I am thinking about some exhaust too, what do you think about the sound (and possible power gain ) of this ones?

BORLA Part# M-5230-5GT

I like them because how small they are and they will take some weight from the car also...
do they sound great ?? or other sound better because of a bigger chamber??

Thanks for the sticky it is awesome!!

Patan.-
Old 10/30/05, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sort of spurring off in a slighty different tangent . . . . but . . . .

If you add "Shorty Headers" to a stock exhaust system, would it be slightly louder?

I realize that the OEM exhaust manifolds are already close to headers, but just wondering if the loudness could be turned up a notch by adding FRPP shortys, without the drone issue from axle-backs.

Tom
Old 10/30/05, 03:23 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by PATAN@October 30, 2005, 12:47 PM
Hi guys I am thinking about some exhaust too, what do you think about the sound (and possible power gain ) of this ones?

BORLA Part# M-5230-5GT

I like them because how small they are and they will take some weight from the car also...
do they sound great ?? or other sound better because of a bigger chamber??

Thanks for the sticky it is awesome!!

Patan.-
I have those......the sound is AWESOME! Its pretty loud (I'd say about 1.5-2x stock) but only when you gas it.

Borla makes a very deep throaty sounding exhaust. I've had TONS of compliments on my exhaust. I've also set off a lot of car alarms especially in the parking garage I go to

You can't go wrong with those. And the 4" rolled tips look amazing from behind.
Old 10/31/05, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dan@October 30, 2005, 5:26 PM
I have those......the sound is AWESOME! Its pretty loud (I'd say about 1.5-2x stock) but only when you gas it.

Borla makes a very deep throaty sounding exhaust. I've had TONS of compliments on my exhaust. I've also set off a lot of car alarms especially in the parking garage I go to

You can't go wrong with those. And the 4" rolled tips look amazing from behind.

looks good,

Acadian, ran the Bassini o/r X Pipe and straights w/o cats -- and the Roush o/r Axleback --- sounds about three parts of the way throaty and a touch of old school rasp --- after acceleration to 2.5 grand --- it gets deeper.... the Roush factory axleback is even deeper - but larger mufflers.....still waitin on the long tube headers - Bassini now says they will not be released till December....but sure it will be worth the wait they tell me it will deepen the sound, louden it a bit and add more power .... not sure how much yet, though ....
Old 11/2/05, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

There is always a lot of questions about the Flowmaster "American Thunder" Aft-Axle Exhaust on here, so I decided to put together a couple of videos with my Flowmasters.

One video is a comparison of the stock vs. Flowmasters at a standstill while revving the engine up a bit. The 2nd video is about a minute and a half collage of me driving around with the windows up. I tried it with the windows down, which in person sounds a lot better than windows up, but the camera was picking up so much wind noise it was drowning out the exhaust, so I had to do it windows up.

You still don't get the whole effect of the new exhausts low sound frequency, but with some decent PC speakers, it gives a pretty good idea of the difference from stock.

I have made each video available in Real Media (.rm) & Windows Media Video (.wmv), incase your don't have a player for one format or the other.

Go to my website, www.2006-Mustang-GT.com , and click on the "Video Clips" icon. The exhaust videos are the two at the bottom of the list. Hope this helps out those still on the fence on staying stock or getting the Flowmasters. Enjoy!
Old 11/4/05, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Bassani X-pipe (no cats) and Stock Mufflers

I posted a new thread abouu this too, but I thought I would add it to the sticky. I am not sure if anyone else has an x-pipe with stock mufflers. Well at least a video/sound clip anyway.

Ahh, what a sound. It is good enough for me that I won't get any aftermarket mufflers.
Old 11/4/05, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kluski@November 4, 2005, 11:47 AM

I posted a new thread abouu this too, but I thought I would add it to the sticky. I am not sure if anyone else has an x-pipe with stock mufflers. Well at least a video/sound clip anyway.

Ahh, what a sound. It is good enough for me that I won't get any aftermarket mufflers.
Sounds great Chris....sounds a lot like my car,SLP axel backs, TBS, no tune,no CAI,
Old 11/4/05, 05:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Kluski@November 4, 2005, 12:47 PM

Mufflers will make the exhaust sound deeper. I had an MAK off-road X-pipe with the stock mufflers and it sounded exactly like the Basanni. I recently added Magnaflows and it make the exhaust less raspy and added some depth to the tone. Plus the stock mufflers and tips are ugly.

Quick Reply: The 2005+ Exhaust Thread