GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The 2005+ Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/05, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So which exhaust yields the best power gains?

Anyone have any numbers for the Corsa and the SLP PowerFlo?
Old 8/11/05, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

From what I've read people have been getting the most gains from an x-pipe/axle back combo such as the Bassani x-pipe/axle back. For just an axle back exhaust the difference is so little it's better to go off which sound you like the best.
Old 8/11/05, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by clockworks@August 11, 2005, 11:37 PM
So which exhaust yields the best power gains?

Anyone have any numbers for the Corsa and the SLP PowerFlo?

I went with the SLP PowerFlows because of their sound.

Hard to find Dyno's in Germany anyway.

TC
Old 8/11/05, 10:57 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Do any of the kits replace the pipes between the "H" and the mufflers?

When I installed my SLP's I noticed there's a spot just behind the axles (about 4 or 5" in front of the axle-back clamps) that is crimped down to almost half the size of the rest of the pipes.
Old 8/14/05, 08:52 AM

Ok, so I finally got my new baby (8/10) and she's bone stock right now. I watched the TV show where they replaced the muffs with the Flowermasters and I really liked the look and the sound. I'm pretty much sold on them but on the other hand I like the price and the reviews that the SLP Power-Flo's have had. I'm not looking for loud by any means, just mean sounding and something that will fill those holes on the rear valance. Any thoughts? Could really use some feed back. Thanks guys, and it's good to be back in a V8
Old 8/14/05, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KCFordMan@August 14, 2005, 4:55 PM
Ok, so I finally got my new baby (8/10) and she's bone stock right now. I watched the TV show where they replaced the muffs with the Flowermasters and I really liked the look and the sound. I'm pretty much sold on them but on the other hand I like the price and the reviews that the SLP Power-Flo's have had. I'm not looking for loud by any means, just mean sounding and something that will fill those holes on the rear valance. Any thoughts? Could really use some feed back. Thanks guys, and it's good to be back in a V8
The Mustang already has good sound. KC's (Kevins) Exhaust Tips would fill the void.

I can only vouch for the SLP Power-Flows.

They're only "Head-Turning Loud" when I want them to be. The wife even likes the sound too.

Tom
Old 8/14/05, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I pretty much decided I'm going to go with Mac's prochamber H, offroad of course (no cats), and eventually will throw on Flowmaster mufflers. That way I get my power gains, as well as that classic american muscle growl.
Old 8/14/05, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by eromzek@August 14, 2005, 5:34 PM
I pretty much decided I'm going to go with Mac's prochamber H, offroad of course (no cats), and eventually will throw on Flowmaster mufflers. That way I get my power gains, as well as that classic american muscle growl.
Any sound clips of something like this? :scratch:
Old 8/16/05, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did 4" Bassini Axle-Back on the 05 Redfire with chromed tips and had them for about two months now - the clearance don't seem to be a problem - the pipes stisk out from the back fascia an inch or so - will work on getting some pics - sounds like the Cobra Jet 428 - plan on finishing the system out with bassini x-pipe w/ high flows and long tubes.
Old 8/16/05, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

btw - the reason the pipes stick out is to have them set in the same way as the original was..
Old 8/16/05, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

K, I need some help guys- As said earlier, I decided to initially go with MAC's offroad Prochamber H pipe with the stock muffler's (eventually buy some flow mufflers), but after talking to numerous sources..found that the only way to get rid of my check engine light (and my engine running poopy) caused from removing the O2 sensorsis to get a tune. Any we all know, as told to me, the only way to do that is to spend 350+ on a Diablosport/SCT/alike, or take it to a Dynotune and spend more money. I'm a first time mustang buyer, college student, and can't really afford all the additional money on top of the 400+ for the midpipe. The reason I wanted exhaust to be my first mod is so that I wouldn't need to quite spend all the additional money on a reflash or tuner (which I realize I'm going to eventually buy anyway, but I want a mod now, esp exhaust!!) I realize I could jsut get something axleback for sound, but I want some gains.. Someone helppp....I know people haven't had much experience with the MAC prochamber, but any input would be greatly appreciated so I can figure out what to do. Thanks!
Old 8/17/05, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Pics -
Old 8/17/05, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by davids2toys@August 10, 2005, 3:47 PM
loosten up all 4 bolts pers side, then get them where you want them, have a second person hold them in position, then tighten all 4 bolts starting from the front...retighten in 1 week. Make sure before you get it in the right position that you get under and try to wiggle everything free after the bolts are loose of course!
Dave,

I did everything you suggested and some. NO LUCK!

Problem: Drivers side "tip" points at an obvious angle downward. More than the pax side and more than the stock tips did.

I spent 4 hours under that drivers side SLP Power-Flow, trying to get it aligned correctly, it aint happening.

First 2 hours I loosened everything and spent the time twisting everything this way and that way, didn't work.

I then tried it again, but this time trying different positions of the holders into differnet places of the rubber grommet, then the twisting trick, didn't work.

Then, I took it off completly and re-installed again, as if it was the first time, didn't work.

Finally, I studied it for awhile, postioned the tip first and worked my way back, nope, didn't work.

After a "grueling" 4 hours of this, I have determined that the tip-end holder is welded to the pipe approx 1/2 - 3/4 inch off, hence the reason it won't line up correctly.

I'm going to have to take in to the local "German" shop and hope they can do alittle fancy welding. Either I'll need them to reposition the back hanger on the pipe, or heat up the pipe (where it comes out of the mini-muffler), and angle it upward. $$$$ for both.

If I had known it was going to be this much trouble, I would of gone with a more simple "plug & Play" system like the Flowmasters or Hookers.

Tom
Old 8/18/05, 08:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Wardog 07@August 17, 2005, 2:08 PM
Dave,

I did everything you suggested and some. NO LUCK!

Problem: Drivers side "tip" points at an obvious angle downward. More than the pax side and more than the stock tips did.

I spent 4 hours under that drivers side SLP Power-Flow, trying to get it aligned correctly, it aint happening.

First 2 hours I loosened everything and spent the time twisting everything this way and that way, didn't work.

I then tried it again, but this time trying different positions of the holders into differnet places of the rubber grommet, then the twisting trick, didn't work.

Then, I took it off completly and re-installed again, as if it was the first time, didn't work.

Finally, I studied it for awhile, postioned the tip first and worked my way back, nope, didn't work.

After a "grueling" 4 hours of this, I have determined that the tip-end holder is welded to the pipe approx 1/2 - 3/4 inch off, hence the reason it won't line up correctly.

I'm going to have to take in to the local "German" shop and hope they can do alittle fancy welding. Either I'll need them to reposition the back hanger on the pipe, or heat up the pipe (where it comes out of the mini-muffler), and angle it upward. $$$$ for both.

If I had known it was going to be this much trouble, I would of gone with a more simple "plug & Play" system like the Flowmasters or Hookers.

Tom
I would not take it anywhere...I would be on the phone with SLP ASAP. If you modify it at all, you will own it!!!
Old 8/18/05, 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by davids2toys@August 18, 2005, 4:53 PM
I would not take it anywhere...I would be on the phone with SLP ASAP. If you modify it at all, you will own it!!!
I agree, but if a quick $20 at the local shop will fix it, then it will be a done deal and fixed immediately.

Because I'm in Germany, things are twice as hard when it comes to things like this.

$5 in phone calls/emails, arguing with SLP folks, being told to try different things, and then shipping it back to the US, putting on my old stock ones, listening to the wife complain, waiting on the replacement one (why would I think the new one would be any different?), 3 weeks, 4 weeks, etc, etc, etc.

I'll just suck up the $20 loss and never do business with them again.

Tom
Old 8/18/05, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With all those circumstances , I would agree with you. I would try to install 1 more time though, I think you may have done something wrong, are you sure you have them on the correct sides, also, why dont you PM some people that have installed the exact product that you have....Good Luck!!!
Old 8/18/05, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, Tom... my install went pretty easy, but it did take some purposeful thinking to figure out left from right. Also, on the drivers side, one of the brackets on the muffler just barely reached into the hanger on the car. But it went on... without the hassle you described.
Old 8/18/05, 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by don_w@August 18, 2005, 9:00 PM
FWIW, Tom... my install went pretty easy, but it did take some purposeful thinking to figure out left from right. Also, on the drivers side, one of the brackets on the muffler just barely reached into the hanger on the car. But it went on... without the hassle you described.

It wasn't a hassle installing, everything fit and looked in place.

BUT . . . the exit out of the "mimi-muffler" on the drivers side is slightly off on it's curve, forcing the tip to point downwards.

I already checked and confirmed that the correct one is on the correct side.

I think it was a "fluke" on that one weld. If the bracket was welded on the pipe only 3/4 inch to the side, it would be a perfect fit.

I'll lrt you know how it turns out, SAT I take in for some "welding work".

Tom
Old 8/19/05, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for giggles (and a "sound" test), I just swapped out my SLP PowerFlos for a set of SLP Loudmouths (let's call them "hawgman rejects"... lol). I'm going drive it this way for a while and then decide which exhaust I will keep. The LMs are definitely louder.
Old 8/21/05, 01:00 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Here's a New Borla/FFRP axle-back sound clip......the first good clip since we made those "Mod Behavin' Badly" ones

FFRP / Borla Axle Back

Quick Reply: The 2005+ Exhaust Thread