GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The 2005+ Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/05, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by freyke@June 18, 2005, 9:26 PM
All,

I just installed my Flowmaster Axle-Backs... They sound great, no noticable drone and the trottle response seems a bit better... No Dyno reading to prove it... just seat of the pants guess that together with the K&N and the reset (battery disconect) it does seems a bit peppier...

Also note that installation is pretty easy for a do-it-yourselfer in the driveway... Just remember the orientation if the hangers and all should go well... I took my time and it took me about 1.5 hours from start to finish... I work slowly but no mistakes or major problems noted... Of intrest, the instructions state "There are two hangers on each side with two bolts." What this means is that there are two 13mm bolts in EACH hanger, and two hangers per muffler.. that is to say there are four 13mm bolts for each muffler... here are some photos:

Looks great. I'l have to keep you in mind when I get me a new exhaust. Good to see some more Va Beach guys on the board. Your Cars looking good, and probably sounding good with the Flow's on.

-Ken
Old 7/5/05, 09:40 PM

Just installed Bassani axle-backs and they sound awesome! I am really pleased with them so far, and the sound at idle is great, and at WOT it just screams. I was worried about getting something too loud and obnoxious for a daily driver, but the Bassani have a nice, deep exhaust note and couldn't be happier, plus they look a heck of a lot better than the old tips.

Here's some pics:

Bassani axle-back - Before/After
Old 7/9/05, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Very nice collection of all the exhaust sounds. Will all these sound similar coming from the V6 or is there a post like this but for V6 exhaust sounds? I'm looking to get duals (not true duals) put on mine and am patiently waiting for SLP to release some for the V6.
Old 7/10/05, 12:30 AM
Bullitt Member

To add to the carnage... installed the SLP Powerflos today... they went ON very easily. The stock mufflers did NOT come off as easy. Some of those bracket bolts are in EXACTLY the worst spots. One was sandwiched between the body of the muffler and the bottom of the car... one was fairly accessable, except that there was not enough room for the socket to get up there and be used... and it took a long long time with the wrench... I really wanted to torch those monkeys off after a while... but I refrained... add to that I had made a run to the parts store for some oil... and I have a few hot spots to deal with...
Old 7/10/05, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Herknav@July 9, 2005, 11:33 PM
To add to the carnage... installed the SLP Powerflos today... they went ON very easily. The stock mufflers did NOT come off as easy. Some of those bracket bolts are in EXACTLY the worst spots. One was sandwiched between the body of the muffler and the bottom of the car... one was fairly accessable, except that there was not enough room for the socket to get up there and be used... and it took a long long time with the wrench... I really wanted to torch those monkeys off after a while... but I refrained... add to that I had made a run to the parts store for some oil... and I have a few hot spots to deal with...
Clips/Pictures, how do they sound. A good sound clip would be really cool. the only one I have heard is the Sonic Blue stang doing the burnout (Cool burnout cannot hear the exhaust except in the high RPM's
Old 7/10/05, 11:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've still got the first exhaust sound clip !!! I want to get my exhaust totally redone. I want resonators though because I hate the consistent sound of the exhaust while you're on the highway. Talk about overpowering and droning your vehicle out.

Matt
Old 7/11/05, 09:16 PM
GT Member

I just installed the Corsa exhaust on my 05 GT vert and it sounds great. Very tough and deep sound at WOT yet very quiet when cruising. It is a very deep rich sounding exhaust. Sounds incredibly mean on take off. All the car nuts in my area want to know what it is and say it it is best sounding exhaust they have heard. I have to agree.
Old 7/12/05, 09:18 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by fastball25@June 29, 2005, 11:16 AM
I just installed the Borla Axle-backs over the weekend and they sound great! Not too much louder at idle, but definitely there when you get in it. Also, the sound is much deeper. I would post a clip, but don't have a video camera.
Checkout this thread for clips of the borla exhaust....... Borla clips
Old 7/14/05, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@June 21, 2005, 3:39 PM
What's the advantage of getting SLP loudmouth's over just having an exhaust shop replace the muffler's with pipes and tips?
An exhaust shop won't have tips with the AWESOME looks or quality of the SLP piece. Aside from that the SLP tip has a sort of megaphone effect.
Old 7/14/05, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by The Lyin' King@July 14, 2005, 12:02 PM
An exhaust shop won't have tips with the AWESOME looks or quality of the SLP piece. Aside from that the SLP tip has a sort of megaphone effect.

Not true.

Check out my sig for the "Original Muffler Deletes" If you like the 4" tips I have I put the part number in the first post. Pics on page 2.
Old 7/14/05, 11:31 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by The Lyin' King@July 14, 2005, 1:02 PM
The tips are one of the reasons I don't want the SLP's. I prefer the slash cut like what comes from the factory. The SLP's are almost straight. Something like 15 degrees, I think.
Old 7/14/05, 11:39 PM
Bullitt Member

My SLP Powerflos look great... WAY better than the stock pipes... and the cut is no different, as far as I can tell...
Old 7/15/05, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Herknav@July 14, 2005, 10:42 PM
My SLP Powerflos look great... WAY better than the stock pipes... and the cut is no different, as far as I can tell...
Ditto...
Old 7/15/05, 04:58 PM

Those are the real SLP tips? They look like a lot more of an angle than what I've seen in the manufacturer's pics.

Anyone have any side shots of the tips? Maybe a pic comparing them the the stock tips.

Even if they're not EXACTLY the same angle, they're certainly cut more than all the other kits out there.
Old 7/15/05, 05:08 PM

Here is the picture I was talking about as well as an installed pic from someone on TMS.
Also included the PowerFlo pic.

As you can see the angle is no where near as much as the stock tips and don't look anything like the ones in Herknav's picture.
Old 7/15/05, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by StangNut@July 15, 2005, 4:01 PM
Those are the real SLP tips? They look like a lot more of an angle than what I've seen in the manufacturer's pics.

Anyone have any side shots of the tips? Maybe a pic comparing them the the stock tips.

Even if they're not EXACTLY the same angle, they're certainly cut more than all the other kits out there.
Yep, those are what came with my SLPs. I got rid of my stock muffs, so I can't do a comparison. And the only pic I have is below -- during the install... left side SLP, right side stock. Not a good angle to see the tips, though... sorry.
Old 7/15/05, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by StangNut@July 15, 2005, 4:11 PM
Here is the picture I was talking about as well as an installed pic from someone on TMS.
Also included the PowerFlo pic.

As you can see the angle is no where near as much as the stock tips and don't look anything like the ones in Herknav's picture.

The angle on the PowerFlos must be much greater than on the Loudmouths.
Old 7/15/05, 11:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by don_w@July 15, 2005, 5:19 PM
The angle on the PowerFlos must be much greater than on the Loudmouths.
Yes, looking at the powerflows, I would say you are correct...my loudmouth are nowhere near the stock angle...TO BAD! Do the powerflows sound different than the loudmouths? More power?
Old 7/15/05, 11:45 PM

Just emailed SLP so we'll see what they say, if they write back.

Any more pics anyone?
Old 7/15/05, 11:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Zeio@July 5, 2005, 11:43 PM
Just installed Bassani axle-backs and they sound awesome! I am really pleased with them so far, and the sound at idle is great, and at WOT it just screams. I was worried about getting something too loud and obnoxious for a daily driver, but the Bassani have a nice, deep exhaust note and couldn't be happier, plus they look a heck of a lot better than the old tips.

Here's some pics:

Bassani axle-back - Before/After
Colin, those look sweet!! I am having trouble deciding between the Bassani or Magnaflow. I like the looks of the Magnaflow as well, but am afraid they might be too quiet. Can you better describe the Bassani sound level compared to stock? Have they gotten any louder since you installed them? Thanks man!

Quick Reply: The 2005+ Exhaust Thread