General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/06, 07:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Wonder how these rocker panel stripes would look... opinions?
It says GT above and below. Too many GTs in one place. If you do it, you need pony emblems or something above. Like project horse.
Old 6/22/06, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
It says GT above and below. Too many GTs in one place. If you do it, you need pony emblems or something above. Like project horse.
You know I agree with that. I look at my car and wish the GT emblems were not there now. It just looks funny, but would be fairly expensive, I presume, to remove the emblems and have the holes filled and then panels painted.
I might photo chop some ponies on there and see if I like it.
Old 6/22/06, 08:33 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
You know I agree with that. I look at my car and wish the GT emblems were not there now. It just looks funny, but would be fairly expensive, I presume, to remove the emblems and have the holes filled and then panels painted.
Doesn't have to be ponies. There are lots of appropriate emblems out there.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000016a~Z5Z5Z5ABGBP~ P9.95~~~~S1TZ1CI2WZ24631581350b~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z500000 16A
Old 6/22/06, 08:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Quick chop jobs

GT EMBLEMS
Attachment 2871

NO EMBLEMS
Attachment 2872

PONY EMBLEMS
Attachment 2873

COBRA EMBLEMS
Attachment 2870

4.6 HIGH PERFORMANCE EMBLEM
Attachment 2874

I am leaning either None or Ponies, but ponies just scream V6 to me.
Probably just leave it like it is.
I want your opinions though.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-cobra-emblems.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-gt-emblems.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-no-emblems.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-pony-emblems.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-46hipo-emblem.jpg  

Old 6/22/06, 09:50 PM
GTR Member

I agree with that, too.

On my '03, I had "Mustang GT" on the rocker panels and "GT" on the hood, so I changed to the '04 Anniversary emblems so there weren't so many GTs:

Attachment 2877 Attachment 2880

Cobra emblems: No way... you don't have a Cobra.

Tri-bar Pony emblems: Ok... but it does scream V6, plus you already have 2 Pony emblems on the side (on the rims).

4.6 High Performance emblems: Unique, and would be my top choice. (But maybe just 4.6).

None: There may not be any holes. My '89 didn't have holes, and my '03 did.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn0329.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn0263.jpg  
Old 6/22/06, 10:23 PM
GTR Member

Daryl -- Why aren't the Midwest Mirror Inserts on your future mod list? That's a relatively inexpensive mod that really dresses up the car. In fact, I think you should order them right away!! Right, Bill?
Old 6/23/06, 06:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Daryl -- Why aren't the Midwest Mirror Inserts on your future mod list? That's a relatively inexpensive mod that really dresses up the car. In fact, I think you should order them right away!! Right, Bill?
I will add them in the Possible Future Mods List. I know they are only around $60, just not nearly as noticeable on VB as it is on TR & PW.
The GT emblems do have pins, there was a thread on that very thing before the upgrade. Had a rough drawing of the pin placement too.
Old 6/23/06, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Daryl - I like the "none" option. But 2nd is the 4.6. I remember taking the 5.0 emblems off my '89. There weren't pins/holes. But I trust you if you say there are now. On my '89 I took off the LX, the 5.0, no dealer emblems, and I would have taken off the blue oval, but there were holes there. I wanted to be incognito at the time - to NOT look like a fast car, unless you knew to look for the tailpipes. Some people didn't.
Old 6/23/06, 08:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Honestly not enough white, just a little at the front of the car compared to 12" Dual stripes.
Just my Opinion though.
Opinion noted.

Not exactly sure what rocker stripe design I really want. I do agree with the 'GT' thing and even if I left if off, the hash mark stripes will look too short in length (only on the front fender).

Like I told Tom, I like the C/S stripes (without the lettering) at the rocker panel level. Or even like yours, Daryl (without the lettering).

I'm still on the search...
Old 6/23/06, 08:29 AM
GTR Member

Just the stripes at the rocker panel level, or just the word "M U S T A N G" in the stripes also screams V6. So, it has to say something like "GT 300", or "Mustang GT", etc...

Ugh:

Old 6/23/06, 08:33 AM

GT EMBLEMS
NO EMBLEMS
PONY EMBLEMS
COBRA EMBLEMS
4.6 HIGH PERFORMANCE EMBLEM

I am leaning either None or Ponies, but ponies just scream V6 to me.
Probably just leave it like it is.
I want your opinions though.
I like the 'none' as well. But, like karman pointed out, there's many other Ford fender emblems out there.

The 4.6 looks too 80/90's to me, keeps reminding me of my 5.0 emblem on my 85 & 90 GT. (Just my measley $.02 opinion )

I kind of like my 'Powered By Ford' emblem that was on my plenum cover (off of 289 AC Cobra).
Old 6/23/06, 08:39 AM

Lookie what I did lastnight....

Had to have a beer afterwards to either celebrate or the 'What have I done to my hood??!!'

Either case, stage 1 is complete. Prefitting the Shaker will be later this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_1052.jpg  
Old 6/23/06, 08:40 AM
GTR Member

Alright! Decided just to do it without telling us first? I see you used the same method I did with the starter hole... looks just like mine.

Attachment 2886

Any problems?
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn3502.jpg  
Old 6/23/06, 08:57 AM
GTR Member

Exclamation

I joined up and became a Team Mustang Source member last night. I figured for as much as I use this site and the information I get out of it, it is worth $15 a year.
Old 6/23/06, 09:16 AM

Alright! Decided just to do it without telling us first? I see you used the same method I did with the starter hole... looks just like mine.

Any problems?
Yes, used same idea for the saw starting hole, just big enough to start the cut.

Problems? Let see... nothing major.

Layout went fine, took a little longer that I expected aligning up that template. Lining up the 2 CL marks AND the hood edge line while keeping the paper as flat as possible is a little harder than it looks.

Remember when I told you guys that my drivers side hood stripe slightly leans in towards the center as it gets closer to the windshield? It measures out to be around 0.180" off at the max deviation point.

When I prefit the Shaker and outer trim ring today, I'll see if there's a visual impact from the stripe being off. If so, I'll put the project on hold while I get another hood stripe from BSM. If acceptable, I'll run with it and press on with the project.

There was quite a bit of fine particle shavings and stuff that flew everywhere! From the windshield to over the fenders, made a mess. In hindsight, I wish I would've masked some rags all over those areas before cutting. I gently brushed the shavings off the fenders using a plush towel, it worked, no scratches. I'll vacuum the rest up as much as I can, then take my blower to it to get the rest off.

Other than that, no real issues. Cutting took around 30 minutes.

I put some alodine on the bare metal areas lastnight and will prime it today.

Pics uploaded into my Photobucket album.
Old 6/23/06, 09:35 AM
GTR Member

I didn't use that "align with rear of hood" mark... heck, I didn't even see it!

I cut out the two washer nozzle circles and they fit right around each nozzle (I figured that was the forward and back alignment).

Just to check, can you take a measurement from the rear of your hood to the edge of the hole for me (along the center line)? Hope it's the same as mine!
Old 6/23/06, 09:44 AM

I didn't use that "align with rear of hood" mark... heck, I didn't even see it!

I cut out the two washer nozzle circles and they fit right around each nozzle (I figured that was the forward and back alignment).

Just to check, can you take a measurement from the rear of your hood to the edge of the hole for me (along the center line)? Hope it's the same as mine!
WHAT? Mr. Attention to Detail didn't see it? (Just giving you a hard time! )

I'll take that measurement later today unless Daryl beats me to it. I'm sure yours is fine. If that trim ring has as much slop in it (fwd and aft) like you mentioned, it allows for adjustment.

But that 'ALIGN WITH REAR OF HOOD' sign is pretty hard to miss! Hehehe!
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_1020.jpg  
Old 6/23/06, 09:46 AM
GTR Member

Well, I want the measurement without the trim ring, so I don't thing Daryl can do that. I measured 11 3/16" on mine.

I know... how did I miss that??
Old 6/23/06, 09:53 AM

Well, I want the measurement without the trim ring, so I don't thing Daryl can do that. I measured 11 3/16" on mine.

I know... how did I miss that??
You're right, I forgot Daryl has his trim rings put together already.

I'll post that dimension tonight for you.

When I check for gap alignment, do you think I have to install the 2 TB bolts? Or will it be okay just in the ball socket?
Old 6/23/06, 02:54 PM

One more thing, looking at everyone's (installed) lower retaining ring, I don't know if they (upper and lower rings) can move around that much because of the molding within the rings, looks like it matches up with the moldings on the insulation liner.

Makes sense? Guess I'll find out later today..

I did e-mail Rob at BSM and put him on stand-by to send me out another drivers side hood stripe just incase the gap is a 'no go'.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)