Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Xbox One vs PS/4

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/13, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xbox One vs PS/4

Any thoughts on this hotly contested subject? Anyone?
Old 11/21/13, 09:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got the ps4 and it's incredible
Old 11/21/13, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer xbox. Always have and probably always will. So Xbox one is what I would get. But this is like apple vs android. No one agrees.

I respect the PS4 , though. It does look incredible. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 11/21/13, 10:28 AM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
Normally, it would be easy - Xbox. Sony turned me off with their DRM crap in the past, but it looks like they have turned the tables in that area, so...guess I need to try out both!
Old 11/21/13, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

From what I've seen, the only difference between the two will be exclusives. Therefore I'll likely be getting a xbox for forza.
Old 11/21/13, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746
From what I've seen, the only difference between the two will be exclusives. Therefore I'll likely be getting a xbox for forza.
agreed. Forza is incredible. I've just always been used to Xbox and I think Xbox love is much better that psn.
Old 11/21/13, 11:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Driveclub for ps4 is going to be just as sick
Old 11/21/13, 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Driveclub for ps4 is going to be just as sick
If it's better than forza I'll eat my shoe; the crew looks nice as well.
Old 11/21/13, 12:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I loved driving simulators in the previous generation; I can honestly say, though, that having the Shelby has pretty much cured that urge. I'm not bragging about the car, I'm pointing out the fact that as good as forza looks and replicates the experience of driving those cars, it doesn't feel the same. The feel is what I really wanted, and while the game gives a much larger list of cars to drive, the feel is satisfied with what's in my garage.

Aside from forza, I can't honestly say I would want either console for anything else. I'm not a multiplayer gamer, never have been (especially the combat sims, considering two years of my life were spent dodging real bullets and the fact that they are still so, so unrealistic--all of which is topped by the pre-teens cursing everyone out every time something doesn't go exactly their way), and these new consoles look to bring even more of the multiplayer side of things into the experience than the last generation did. I have no trouble admitting that I'm essentially a dying breed of gamer, and I'll stick to my sandbox games like oblivion and skyrim and total war games.
Old 11/21/13, 10:44 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
As I've read in reviews, seems like the new systems are a lot like their predecessors. The ps4 has the better visuals, but the xbone is better all around and with a more user friendly UI. Plus the extras that you can do with the lonely setup is awesome!

I'm just glad Sony fixed the controllers. The ps3 ones sucked ***. Too small, triggers were crap and had no definition, and the joysticks were awful, slippery, and with no ridge, so your finger could just slip right off. They've fixed them All now
Old 11/22/13, 04:23 AM
Cobra R Member

^ Yea the new controller is really nice
Old 11/22/13, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I bought the original Xbox on launch day. One of only 200,000 that were sold that day.
I bought an Xbox 360 on launch day. One of only 250,000 that were sold that day.

I'm buying a PS4 this generation.

I really don't like the direction Microsoft has taken with the Xbox One. There is far too much focus on multimedia and gaming seems to be an afterthought. It has several problems that I just cannot accept.

1. It costs $100 more than a PS4, but doesn't DO anything that the PS4 cannot also do.
2. It doesn't support 3D Bluray playback.
3. In light of the Microsoft/Skype/NSA revelations, I'm not too keen on the idea of Microsoft putting a camera and microphone in my room and having the ability to access it at any time. (Their terms of service make it clear that you have NO expectation of privacy when using any form of messaging, voice, or video chat online)
4. Previous generation controllers are not compatible.

That last one is a biggie for me. I like Forza, but I play with a wheel. However, my not cheap Fanatec wheel will not work on the Xbox One. If I wanted to play with a wheel on the Xbox One I have to buy a new wheel, and the CHEAPEST new wheel for the Xbox One is.......................... $400

So, to play Forza, I have to spend $500 on the console, $60 on the game, and $400 for the wheel.....

But wait, it gets better. Almost half the cars for the next Forza are DLC and not on the disk. If you want all of those cars you have to spend another $60!

So, to play the next Forza on the Xbox One with a wheel, and all of the available cars, I would have to spend $1020. Plus tax of course.

Or, I can buy a $400 PS4 and use the same Logitech G27 wheel that I use with my PS3 and PC. No added cost other than the price of the games. Throw in the next Gran Turismo for $60 more.

$1020 vs $460 is a no-brainer.

Last edited by Moustang; 11/22/13 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11/22/13, 08:26 AM
Cobra R Member

I've never played those games with a wheel but this time around I am going to for gt6 and Driveclub, is the one you mentioned nice? Does it really make the gameplay easier
Old 11/22/13, 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
I've never played those games with a wheel but this time around I am going to for gt6 and Driveclub, is the one you mentioned nice? Does it really make the gameplay easier
The Logitech G27 wheel is IMO the best wheel on the market. You get a proper 900 degree wheel, solid foot pedal system with a clutch and adjustable pedal tension, and a 6 speed H-Gate shifter.

Force feedback effects are strong. Dialed all the way up and it can jerk the wheel pretty hard to simulate running over cubs and crashes.

I enjoy it a lot more than a gamepad because it's much more realistic. Racing games always add a lot of steering and throttle assists to compensate for the controller, but wheels can be properly calibrated to give you very realistic results.

The guy playing kind sucks, but.......

Old 11/22/13, 10:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
But that's a **** sweet setup!

If I end up getting a console after the holidays, it'll be an Xbox One. I'm already invested in Live, and I know what to expect from Microsoft.

At some point, I may try to build my own Xbox One just for the hell of it.
Old 11/22/13, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

I bought the original Xbox on launch day. One of only 200,000 that were sold that day. I bought an Xbox 360 on launch day. One of only 250,000 that were sold that day. I'm buying a PS4 this generation. I really don't like the direction Microsoft has taken with the Xbox One. There is far too much focus on multimedia and gaming seems to be an afterthought. It has several problems that I just cannot accept. 1. It costs $100 more than a PS4, but doesn't DO anything that the PS4 cannot also do. 2. It doesn't support 3D Bluray playback. 3. In light of the Microsoft/Skype/NSA revelations, I'm not too keen on the idea of Microsoft putting a camera and microphone in my room and having the ability to access it at any time. (Their terms of service make it clear that you have NO expectation of privacy when using any form of messaging, voice, or video chat online) 4. Previous generation controllers are not compatible. That last one is a biggie for me. I like Forza, but I play with a wheel. However, my not cheap Fanatec wheel will not work on the Xbox One. If I wanted to play with a wheel on the Xbox One I have to buy a new wheel, and the CHEAPEST new wheel for the Xbox One is.......................... $400 So, to play Forza, I have to spend $500 on the console, $60 on the game, and $400 for the wheel..... But wait, it gets better. Almost half the cars for the next Forza are DLC and not on the disk. If you want all of those cars you have to spend another $60! So, to play the next Forza on the Xbox One with a wheel, and all of the available cars, I would have to spend $1020. Plus tax of course. Or, I can buy a $400 PS4 and use the same Logitech G27 wheel that I use with my PS3 and PC. No added cost other than the price of the games. Throw in the next Gran Turismo for $60 more. $1020 vs $460 is a no-brainer.
The next after next gran turismo maybe, which will likely be in 5-6 years with their track record. The "next" GT will only be for ps3 and your ps4 won't play it

I have that same wheel, it's pretty awesome. Hoping that by some sort of magic it will work with the xbox, considering its a windowsish OS and windows works with the wheel.

Last edited by steven46746; 11/22/13 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11/22/13, 04:45 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The Logitech G27 wheel is IMO the best wheel on the market. You get a proper 900 degree wheel, solid foot pedal system with a clutch and adjustable pedal tension, and a 6 speed H-Gate shifter.

Force feedback effects are strong. Dialed all the way up and it can jerk the wheel pretty hard to simulate running over cubs and crashes.

I enjoy it a lot more than a gamepad because it's much more realistic. Racing games always add a lot of steering and throttle assists to compensate for the controller, but wheels can be properly calibrated to give you very realistic results.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii8qwuHFjbc
I don't understand the "proper 900 degree" argument I hear a lot. There's not a race car out that that requires that kind of lock, and if you needed it, it'd be an enormous pain in the *** 360* or so is all you need.

I've tried the G25 and 27. They're okay, but I dont see all the acclaim. It's good, but the Xbox 360 wheel was the best I ever used. Before they wore out, that is. What they really need is force feedback through the pedals. It would really help judging wheelspin and braking.
Old 11/22/13, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I don't understand the "proper 900 degree" argument I hear a lot. There's not a race car out that that requires that kind of lock, and if you needed it, it'd be an enormous pain in the *** 360* or so is all you need.
Not all cars are race cars. In fact, most aren't.

If you want a wheel that can simulate real road cars then 360 degrees isn't even close to enough. Driving a Mustang with a 360 degree wheel in a game will NEVER feel right because a real Mustang has 800 degrees of wheel rotation.

The advantage to a proper 900 degree wheel is you can change the settings to match any steering ratio you want. If you want to simulate a pickup you can use the full 900 degrees and if you want to simulate an F1 car you can reduce that to just 270 degrees. With a 360 degree wheel you can never properly simulate a street car.

I've tried the G25 and 27. They're okay, but I dont see all the acclaim. It's good, but the Xbox 360 wheel was the best I ever used.
I can't take you seriously after that remark.

The MS Xbox 360 wheel is garbage. I know because I have one. One of the paddels broke so I can't manually shift with it anymore, it has never centered properly (It's always centered with the wheel about 10 degrees off center), and the whole thing is just cheap plastic.

I had the MS wheel for almost a whole hour before I made my first mod to it by adding a rubber buffer behind the brake pedal to give it some resistance. How you can think any wheel with no tension springs for the pedals, no clutch, and no H-gate shifter is the best is beyond me.

Better than Madcatz maybe, but better than a G27? REALLY? The thing was such a POS that MS stopped producing them after only 1 year.

The Fanatec wheel for the 360 is MUCH better. Possibly better than the G27 in some cases, and certainly to be considered the G27's equal. But I really wasn't expecting it to be such an expensive throw-away item. With H-gate shifter and the high end pedals it's almost twice the price of the G27, but once I change from the Xbox 360 to either next-gen console it's a useless paperweight. Spending that much for a controller that will be thrown away in a single generation is not a mistake I plan on repeating.

Last edited by Moustang; 11/22/13 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11/22/13, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746
The next after next gran turismo maybe, which will likely be in 5-6 years with their track record. The "next" GT will only be for ps3 and your ps4 won't play it
I don't mind waiting for the next GT. There will be plenty of other driving games to play, and since the G27 wheel also works on the PC I already have access to more accurate racing sims than either console offers.

I have that same wheel, it's pretty awesome. Hoping that by some sort of magic it will work with the xbox, considering its a windowsish OS and windows works with the wheel.
The Logitech will never work with an MS console. MS will not allow it. They demand a proprietary force feedback system that isn't compatible with what they used on the 360 or what has been used on the PC in the past.

That's been a little point that I've never liked about the Xbox. Even the original Xbox used a slightly different system which made Xbox wheels non-PC compatible, even though they were USB wheels. MS wants to keep their peripherals proprietary and make them work on only one generation of Xbox to maximize profits. However, I would be MUCH happier simply being able to continue to use the controllers I already have.
Old 11/22/13, 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm probably not going to get either for a while yet. But I usually go with the playstation for the simple reason that I have a pretty beefy PC to play anything FPSish. Hell I think I only have like five games for my PS3, and three of them are Uncharted. One is GTA V and the last one is Tomb Raider. But my Steam library is pretty deep. Certain games I just have to play with mouse and keyboard, others, I like a controller.

Quick Reply: Xbox One vs PS/4