Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The Geek Out

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/15, 05:35 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I'm letting them work out some of the bugs before I buy the hdhr dvr software. I already have an hdhr prime...it's pretty solid. I've never had any problems with it. Like you said, it only has 3 tuners. But you can stack as many as you'd like.
Three tuners should really be enuff, but when I had the 4 tuner card I did run short a few times. That only happens during the peak TV season in the fall and the networks just happened to put all the shows I want to see on at the same time!

It's good to know that more than one can be used. Now, is it worth buying a new DVR setup just to use Windows 10. Probably not, but plenty of time to decide. Hopefully Ceton will come up with something in the meantime for their tuner.
Old 11/22/15, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I'm in the process of purchasing new components for a new PC build, and I'm trying to decide on how much RAM I need. I am going to purchase at least 16gigs. Thinking for future uses when would I need > 16 gigs of RAM? Are there apps that would benefit from 32gig or need that much ram?

My uses will be, and nothing too hardcore: Gaming, Photoshop, Video, MS Office, surfing the internet and social media.

My new rig is going to be Win 10 64bit, i5-6500 Skylake, Samsung V-nand M.2 SSD, Asus Z170-A or Pro MB, and GSKILL Ripjaw DDR4 3000.
Old 11/22/15, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I suspect 16GB will be sufficient for you. Unless you're working with huge video/3d/etc. files, I doubt you'll max that out.

Now on the other hand...depending on the price, if it's not much more then go for 32GB. That'll leave some room for a RAM disk if you want, or room for some VMs if the need ever arises.
Old 11/22/15, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
By the time you need more than 16GB of RAM you'll need to upgrade the rest of your PC as well.

I've got 16MB of RAM. I have yet to find a single game or application that uses all 16GB, and I don't see anything on the horizon that will either. You would be much better served taking that extra money and using it to bump up to an i7 instead of the i5. With Windows 10 and DX12 out not, software is going to take far more advantage of multithreading and hyperthreading. I've already got games where the i7 is showing a 20% or higher performance increase over i5s of similar speed.

For example....

3.5GHZ i7 is 20% faster than a 3.5GHZ i5.

Last edited by Moustang; 11/22/15 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11/22/15, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks. I was thinking 16 should be plenty, no 3d and small video files. I might also look at a slower clock speed on the memory 2400-2800 vs 3000. I'm not going to look to over clock very much if any, so I dont think I"m going to need that higher clock rate.
Old 11/24/15, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
By the time you need more than 16GB of RAM you'll need to upgrade the rest of your PC as well.

I've got 16MB of RAM. I have yet to find a single game or application that uses all 16GB, and I don't see anything on the horizon that will either. You would be much better served taking that extra money and using it to bump up to an i7 instead of the i5. With Windows 10 and DX12 out not, software is going to take far more advantage of multithreading and hyperthreading. I've already got games where the i7 is showing a 20% or higher performance increase over i5s of similar speed.

For example....

3.5GHZ i7 is 20% faster than a 3.5GHZ i5.
Thanks Moustang, sorry, I didnt see your post when I replied earlier. My local Fry's had the i5 skylake 6500 on sale for 179, and the Samsung m.2 950 pro 256gb for 177, so I picked those up this past Saturday.

Today, I purchased 16gb ram, and the Asus z170-a MB from Newegg. Now the wait for the UPS truck.

I am looking forward to building this, it will be replacing a > 7 year old Core2 Q6600 cpu and MB. I'm also wanting to see how the Samsung m.2 ssd performs. I've read it really screams. The specs smoke my sata 3.0 that I currently have: Max Sequential Read: Up to 2200 MBps Max Sequential Write: Up to 900 MBps 4KB Random Read: Up to 270,000 IOPS.

What type of video card are you running? I was looking at the Nvidia GTX 960 series, those are in the price range that I am willing to spend. The 970's are about 100 more and 980's are even more they are definitely out. Maybe if the 970 drops some, I might stretch the budget.
Old 12/4/15, 01:53 AM

Whats a good FREE undelete program? And by free, I mean one that's not going to show me the files and when I click on recover they want money to go further!

I bought a new laptop last weekend and have been playing around. Now time to get serious so I selected to go back in time, and when I did, it went back, but it also deleted all the files in the recovery partition. The partitions are still there, but no files so I can't create disks or even do a clean install.

I just tried Recuva, not what I need.
EaseUS does it nicely, but is read only and want's $70 to function.

And yes, I can just clean install it without the bloat and stuff, but I like to have the partition intact just in case.

Any suggestions?
Old 12/4/15, 10:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Is this helpful?: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/restore...ion-windows-8/

TL,DR: Get the install.wim from your ISO, and put it on the recovery partition. Then run a command to tell Windows what it is.
Old 12/4/15, 04:15 PM

Is this helpful?: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/restore...ion-windows-8/

TL,DR: Get the install.wim from your ISO, and put it on the recovery partition. Then run a command to tell Windows what it is.
I had seen that link and was going to try that as a last resort.

What i'm looking to do first is find a program that will undelete the deleted files in the hidden partition. The problem is these undelete programs only look at the drive C partition. The partition undelete programs will usually see the hidden partition, but I don't need to undelete it since it exists. I just want to restore what is in it.,

I did manage to recover the deleted files, but the software wants to restore them by copying them out of the partition to another folder. Thats not helping me either since getting the right ones back to the right spot in the partition is unknown.

I don't have an install.wim file, but there are two winRE.wim files.
Old 12/4/15, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok, let me take another look at this now that I've got a computer (instead of phone) and some whiskey...

Originally Posted by denlem
Whats a good FREE undelete program? And by free, I mean one that's not going to show me the files and when I click on recover they want money to go further!

I bought a new laptop last weekend and have been playing around. Now time to get serious so I selected to go back in time, and when I did, it went back, but it also deleted all the files in the recovery partition. The partitions are still there, but no files so I can't create disks or even do a clean install.

I just tried Recuva, not what I need.
EaseUS does it nicely, but is read only and want's $70 to function.

And yes, I can just clean install it without the bloat and stuff, but I like to have the partition intact just in case.

Any suggestions?

I've tried Recuva...meh. I've tried EaseUS...meh. As far as free goes, they all seemed to be limited to recovering a tiny file or a very small amount of files. To get anything more, you have to pay. I've used the paid version of File Scavenger and got what I needed, but it was a huuuuge waste of time sorting through files that were mostly corrupt.

What brand/model and OS are we looking at? I find it strange that using the recovery wiped the recovery partition. Is it a manufacturer-specific recovery partition? Perhaps they have a utility for it?

I make my own custom WinPE/RE for disaster recovery, so I typically wipe all other partitions as soon as I get a new computer. unno:

Originally Posted by denlem
I had seen that link and was going to try that as a last resort.

What i'm looking to do first is find a program that will undelete the deleted files in the hidden partition. The problem is these undelete programs only look at the drive C partition. The partition undelete programs will usually see the hidden partition, but I don't need to undelete it since it exists. I just want to restore what is in it.,

I did manage to recover the deleted files, but the software wants to restore them by copying them out of the partition to another folder. Thats not helping me either since getting the right ones back to the right spot in the partition is unknown.

I don't have an install.wim file, but there are two winRE.wim files.
The file recovery software probably doesn't see hidden partitions, but will they be seen by the software if you mount the hidden partition?

So you have recovered the files? Can you mount the recovery partition and copy the files over? Depending on how the partition is still set up, it may not be bootable though if you just copy the files over.

*BACKUP WARNING*: Once you go past this, you run the risk of bricking the C:\ drive as well. Given that you're doing this to get the recovery partition back, your best bet might be using ImageX/DISM to get a WIM of the C:\ drive so that you can restore it if needed.

After you copy the files back into the recovery partition, you may need to configure the BCD for the partition to make it bootable.

Last edited by stupidgenius36; 12/4/15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12/8/15, 02:49 PM

Ok, let me take another look at this now that I've got a computer (instead of phone) and some whiskey...

I've tried Recuva...meh. I've tried EaseUS...meh. As far as free goes, they all seemed to be limited to recovering a tiny file or a very small amount of files. To get anything more, you have to pay. I've used the paid version of File Scavenger and got what I needed, but it was a huuuuge waste of time sorting through files that were mostly corrupt.

What brand/model and OS are we looking at? I find it strange that using the recovery wiped the recovery partition. Is it a manufacturer-specific recovery partition? Perhaps they have a utility for it?

I make my own custom WinPE/RE for disaster recovery, so I typically wipe all other partitions as soon as I get a new computer. unno:

The file recovery software probably doesn't see hidden partitions, but will they be seen by the software if you mount the hidden partition?

So you have recovered the files? Can you mount the recovery partition and copy the files over? Depending on how the partition is still set up, it may not be bootable though if you just copy the files over.

*BACKUP WARNING*: Once you go past this, you run the risk of bricking the C:\ drive as well. Given that you're doing this to get the recovery partition back, your best bet might be using ImageX/DISM to get a WIM of the C:\ drive so that you can restore it if needed.

After you copy the files back into the recovery partition, you may need to configure the BCD for the partition to make it bootable.
Some will see the hidden partitions.

I didn't have much time to play around this weekend, but I did notice there is also a directory on the C drive called recovery, and one called $windows.~bt. It seems some stuff is stored there as well.

I ordered the recovery usb this weekend and it should be here Friday. It's tricky to figure out, so i'm just gonna leave it as is. I didn't modify anything, and a reset wants to work but it jsut can't find the files. Hopefully they were hidden on drive-c and the restore usb will replace them. I'll find out during the weekend.
Old 12/8/15, 03:49 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
A recovery USB is a good idea. I have a Mac and it uses a recovery partition. I feel that is still prone to failure since it is on the same drive. So, whenever I install the latest OS, I also create a recovery/installation USB, just for peace of mind.
Old 12/12/15, 11:48 AM

The recovery USB came in yesterday. I couldn't get into it by booting by holding the required F12, although I read somewhere the zero key works. Neither did for me. Burried in Windows somewhere was a way to get there and that worked. All worked well, but it took forever to do. After 2.5 hours I went to bed and found it finished this morning. It even seems to have fixed the recovery partition(s) so I tried to restore again without the USB and it wanted to work. I didn't attempt to actually let it complete yet, although I may just to see if it will.

It's just odd I can't get into recovery or the bios without going into windows. Not good if I have to replace the hard drive. I'll have to research to see what keys will actually get me there for this model.
Old 12/13/15, 10:07 AM

Well, I ended up returning the laptop yesterday for another one. The Wifi had been an issue not staying connected. All of a sudden for no reason it would disconnect. Totally random too. My phone, tablet and another wireless only PC would stay connected. I had hoped the restart would fix it but nope. So back it went for an exchange. Day 15 of the 15 return policy!

So now I have another and it disconnected on me this morning. Grrrrr... So now I have another puzzle to solve.
Old 12/13/15, 01:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sucks. I'm still curious what brand/model it is?
Old 12/13/15, 04:05 PM

Sucks. I'm still curious what brand/model it is?
Toshiba Satellite Radius 15

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-...&skuId=4517200
Old 1/1/16, 07:56 AM

I've been thinking about a new phone since my LG G3 has data issues at times where it says it's connected but really isn't.

The two on my hit list are the Moto X Pure or the Nexus 6P.

They both have their pros and cons, and while i'd like the 6P, i'm leaning towards the Moto X due to price, radio, and SD card.

Anyone have any experience with either one of these?
Old 2/5/16, 10:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Friendly reminder that electrical fires are a thing.
Attached Thumbnails The Geek Out-image-20160205_205921.jpg