2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

MIDWEST Shock Tower covers

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/06, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltzman
I'm trying to figure out what the fix might be..anyone care to take a guess? Winner gets bragging rights.....
A small piece of clear plastic that will go in that spot. If this is it, I will be happy and disappointed at the same time.
Old 11/20/06, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bigkbull
A small piece of clear plastic that will go in that spot. If this is it, I will be happy and disappointed at the same time.
I suspect they will shave off more material so the tower covers sit closer to the towers and farther away from the hood.
Old 11/20/06, 07:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metroplex
I suspect they will shave off more material so the tower covers sit closer to the towers and farther away from the hood.
They are gonna send you the fix right? or just tell you what to do to fix it
Old 11/20/06, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
They are gonna send you the fix right? or just tell you what to do to fix it
Said they were supposed to send the fix, which is why I suggested what I did.
Old 11/20/06, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Said they were supposed to send the fix, which is why I suggested what I did.
A clear protective film in the engine compartment will most likely cause more problems down the line. Unless applied properly, air bubbles can form. It can also turn yellow or peel off due to the close proximity to the exhaust manifolds and cylinder heads.

The overall thickness should be reduced to increase the clearance between the cover and the hood.
Old 11/20/06, 07:46 PM
GT Member

A clear protective film in the engine compartment will most likely cause more problems down the line. Unless applied properly, air bubbles can form. It can also turn yellow or peel off due to the close proximity to the exhaust manifolds and cylinder heads.

The overall thickness should be reduced to increase the clearance between the cover and the hood.

Haha, please don't take my idea seriously. I was throwing something rediculous out there. Wouldn't it be hilarious if that was the solution though? Not what I would expect from a company like their's.
Old 11/20/06, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well believe it or not that's what I was told the solution would be. I was told it was to late to recreate the molds.

Nope. Read above.
Old 11/20/06, 08:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Well believe it or not that's what I was told the solution would be. I was told it was to late to recreate the molds.

Nope. Read above.
Kevin, you are the big weiner Brag away .....
Old 11/20/06, 09:24 PM
GT Member

..........WOW...........
Old 11/22/06, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Got my covers, have a question

I got my shock tower covers and radiator cover today. They are really nice looking. The fix for the shock tower covers is indeed a small piece of clear plastic adhered to the cover in the rub spot. It is barely noticable.
Here are a few pics I took today. One question for you guys with the shock tower covers, does it look like they are pushing the hood up a little? After I put them on it appeared that there was a wider gap at that spot when the hood was closed than without them on.

Old 11/22/06, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys are getting me a little nervous about this mod. I'm not sure I want to get into it. Surprising because MidwestAutogear makes some great stuff and is (from my experience) a good company to deal with.
Old 11/23/06, 06:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hood bulge pictures

I don't know if you can really see it good but here's the hood bulge I was talking about with the tower covers on. You can kinda see how the hood is not even with the fender.

Old 11/23/06, 06:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

All right. I am convinced. They're coming off..
Old 11/23/06, 06:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

They do bulge the hood

I just went and did another comparison and they are definitely pushing the hood up. I took one side off and compared and the hood sits even with the fender on the side without the cover and is raised on the side with the cover. That's really too bad because I REALLY like the way they look. I will be contacting Midwest about returning them. It's strange because I had the UPR billet covers on and they were fine. It must be something to do with the way the black middle part bulges up.
Old 11/23/06, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by garyb900
I just went and did another comparison and they are definitely pushing the hood up. I took one side off and compared and the hood sits even with the fender on the side without the cover and is raised on the side with the cover. That's really too bad because I REALLY like the way they look. I will be contacting Midwest about returning them. It's strange because I had the UPR billet covers on and they were fine. It must be something to do with the way the black middle part bulges up.

Just great. I ordered these last week for my wife's car as a christmas present. Guess they will have to go back as she will not have the hood bulged up. Really too bad they did not measure these properly before approving the mold and going into production. This is going to be a big loss to Midwest, I hope they can find a solution to produce corrected covers soon as they really do look nice.
Old 11/23/06, 09:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I knew there was something wrong about this pic from last weekend's carshow!

Old 11/23/06, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like a SHOW only mod this is...........
Old 11/23/06, 10:21 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by YardSpecial
Sounds like a SHOW only mod this is...........
They do pop on and off easily enough. No real reason to have them on with the hood closed, actually.

Not really a bad idea.
Old 11/23/06, 12:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh well back to MWAG they go. Hopefully they have a correction sometime soon since I really like them.
Old 11/23/06, 01:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
They do pop on and off easily enough. No real reason to have them on with the hood closed, actually.

Not really a bad idea.
Very true. However, they are not sold as 'For Show Only', that's where my issue is. For that reason, they are going back. I will reconsider only when they re-engineer it with no rubbing/riding condition.

MWAG does produce quality accessories, but for some reason, these strut caps were not throughly engineered. True, there are production variances, but thus far, 100% of the members here experience the same riding condition. Really, wasn't some kind of transfer tape tested on top of the cover on the prototypes specifically to avoid issues like this?

Quick Reply: MIDWEST Shock Tower covers